computers and tech

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
in your opinion, do average people (mutants?) in gamma world hava access to technology like laptops and internet. laptops and other eletronics are readally avalable for characters to aquire, but are they available for commonfolk (commonmutants?).

im about to start a GW campaign and i would like some input on this topic so i can structure towns properly.
I don't think most commoners in Gamma Terra would own a computer. However, they might have one or two useful electronic devices like walky talkies, TV (which sometimes picks up signals from ancient or alien broadcasts), or a calculator. They likely also have a small hoard of other not-so-useful/broken electronics at home.
I don't think most commoners in Gamma Terra would own a computer. However, they might have one or two useful electronic devices like walky talkies, TV (which sometimes picks up signals from ancient or alien broadcasts), or a calculator. They likely also have a small hoard of other not-so-useful/broken electronics at home.

do you think that, for example, a sizable town might have a centeral database computer
possibly in a large town, but unless there is a significant population of robots or AIs in the region, then there would probably only be a handful of scientists that know how to use it.

If the town is governed by an AI, or located near to an Ancient research facility (such as a university, major corporation, etc.) then it most likely would have some sort of central database computer.

A town the size of Far-Go probably wouldn't have a central computer.
Well, remember that it is your worldline. If your mutants are based in an area run by an omnipotent AI, maybe the townfolk are all just willing or unwillingly cogs in the machine. Maybe the AI runs everything.
It is really up to you to create. Maybe beyond the borders of this region, there is chaos and no tech.

I wouldn't let "supposed to" limit you too much.
Think of "The Old Man in the Cave" Twilight Zone episode, the one where the computer dictates what everyone needs to know, and the people follow not knowing its a computer.
(I hope I got the episode name right)
The Rulebook states that Omega Tech is fairly common and just laying around in most cases, random junk even more common so depends on how you want to categorise them. Working computers would I think be rarer than battery depleted or similar. I think working computers would depend on the area itself and its inhabitants you choose to populate it with.