04/28/2011 News: New Phyrexia Leaks

153 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of today's news article, New Phyrexia Leaks.
Very interesting indeed, especially considering how quiet Wizards usually are when it comes to leaked content, but I guess when it comes to such a massive leak of this magnititude, silence and ignoring it wouldn't have been the best action.

I do find the grovling apology to be pretty damn amusing though, it sounds as if he had just pleaded to a murder case, not revealed cards a month early for a bloody game

It's sad to see good players leave the game like this.
Bah, this won't hurt the game or the community. If anything it helps it.
Thanks to the suspension of Wafo-Tapa, UB Control will cease to be a Standard archetype until October 2012.

Kidding aside, this is a pretty harsh (but justified) reaction from Wizards. Team Guillaume messed up and are paying the price quite heavily. I don't know if the leak really hurt Wizards enough to warrant the reaction or if it's the principle of the thing, but either way, something needed to be done.
~C Bronies forever- because the best show on television is a cartoon for little girls. Things that cheer me up: the upcoming Good Omens miniseries, Discworld being adapted to a crime-of-the-week TV series (CSI: Ankh-Morpork), and ponies. Lots and lots of ponies.

I do find the grovling apology to be pretty damn amusing though, it sounds as if he had just pleaded to a murder case, not revealed cards a month early for a bloody game

Yes, it's a game.  But it's also a business on which hundreds of people rely for their wellbeing.  This sort of leak is no different than a blockbuster movie being leaked a month before its theatrical debut. 

No, it does hurt the community.  Many website rely on the spoilers they are given to bring players to them and thus generate revenue.  When spoilers are leaked like this there is much less of a reason for people to visit these sites.  

Will this leak ruine the game and peoples financial lives?  No.  But it definetly has an impact.

No, it does hurt the community.  Many website rely on the spoilers they are given to bring players to them and thus generate revenue.  When spoilers are leaked like this there is much less of a reason for people to visit these sites.  

Will this leak ruine the game and peoples financial lives?  No.  But it definetly has an impact.

And as for the offline community, in the leadup to MBS I had a fun couple of weeks talking about the newest spoilers at FNM and the like. With the entire set dumped at once, that hasn't happened. Statistics predict that there won't be as many players at prereleases. In general... it hurts.
A superb point someone just noted on MTGSalvation:

I wonder how many high-level players normally get a leg up on the Constructed metagame by being friends with writers with early access to the full set. I have a feeling that the only difference this time is that those players will stupid enough to leak it publicly.

They should not be giving the Godbook to writers.

And as for the offline community, in the leadup to MBS I had a fun couple of weeks talking about the newest spoilers at FNM and the like. With the entire set dumped at once, that hasn't happened. Statistics predict that there won't be as many players at prereleases. In general... it hurts.

arent the whole sets usually spoiled by the time pre-releases happen anyway? whats the difference? the pre-release is still the first chance you get to play with the actual cards.

its not like the guillaumes hi-jacked a truck full of NPH product

also, 3 YEARS? wow. saito only got a year and a half. what conclusions can we draw from that?

I wonder how many high-level players normally get a leg up on the Constructed metagame by being friends with writers with early access to the full set. I have a feeling that the only difference this time is that those players will stupid enough to leak it publicly.

Really makes you wonder why this hasn't happened before, too.

EDIT: Nevermind, it apparently HAS happened before. IGNORE ME! 
~C Bronies forever- because the best show on television is a cartoon for little girls. Things that cheer me up: the upcoming Good Omens miniseries, Discworld being adapted to a crime-of-the-week TV series (CSI: Ankh-Morpork), and ponies. Lots and lots of ponies.

Well, after this, there's a good chance they'll stop.  The article on Channel Fireball about this event is pretty good.

www.channelfireball.com/articles/legacy-...

Looks like a sequence of progressively worse decisions, by people progressively less concerned with security and not betraying trust.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Looks like a sequence of progressively worse decisions, by people progressively less concerned with security and not betraying trust.

QFT
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*
IANAL, but I'm sure that whoever they give the Godbook to has to sign an NDA; in that case, spoiling it could lead to a lot more than just a DCI suspension, it could lead to a major breach of contract suit (or whatever it is that breaching an NDA brings). They are pretty lucky to get by with only a DCI suspension, given the potential severity of the offense.

I'm pretty impressed by the way that Wizards has dealt with it so far, in that they are not ignoring it, not pretending it was what they intended to do from the beginning, and not having a major meltdown. They are taking it very very well, considering how much preview week generates buzz.

The existence of a Godbook is a bit of an eye-opener - the pros, by virtue of thier connections to writers, are given a few weeks to see new sets and brew new decks. It gives them a pretty serious advantage over the common person, or over those pros without as good of connections. Kinda dissappointing, really.
Around Invasion block I had a conversation with a store manager about this subject. With some of the pro players getting hired by Wizard's and having access to the future sets. That there would be occasions where the excitement might be too much and active players would receive information. I see it as a breach of trust, yet due to this society of scofflaws, some are surprised that punishment was handed down. The other thing that is being said is that no one got hurt, so what's the big deal. I'm not all in for the corporate structure, but ethics are ethics.

That's like saying that studios shouldn't provide early CD's or DVD's to critics.  There's a purpose for certain people receving this information and it's unfortunate that some people can't seem to use this privaleged access professionally.

That's like saying that studios shouldn't provide early CD's or DVD's to critics.  There's a purpose for certain people receving this information and it's unfortunate that some people can't seem to use this privaleged access professionally.

Giving the Godbook to journalists is one thing - when it makes the rounds of the pros, pros that now have a signifigant advantage over you and I on the sole basis of being "in the know", thats another thing.
Keep in mind that these godbooks are most likely not given to just any pro.  I imagine, as is implied in the post, that only writers for paper magazines (which we don't really have in the US anymore) get them, since paper mags, unlike the web, have to be prepared on a much more advanced schedule.

I don't think it's a case where every pro who writes a weekly web article is loaded with secret  god-spoilers and has a secret edge, although I DO imagine word silently does get around.
Reigning world champ...and suspended. Ouch.
A fair punishment. The only way I wouldn't expect a lawsuit to be the automatic follow-up is if WotC feels this sent enough of a statement, and if I'm inferring correctly that this confession was offered voluntarily (not totally sure on that from this article).

It seems clear that providing the whole godbook to anyone is a mistake. The pace of the internet has once again rendered accommodations for the sloth of print publications an anachronism that impacts all of us. I was shocked to learn there's still a print Magic publication anywhere.

I also agree with the raised eyebrows of players who get less time to test with a new set before events than the chosen few who receive this advance information.
This sort of leak is no different than a blockbuster movie being leaked a month before its theatrical debut.

Interesting comparison.  Here, let me spoil Transformers 3 for you:

• There are robots in it. One is named Optimus Prime.

• Half of Shia LeBeouf's lines will be one word smashed together repeatedly like GoGoGo, MoveMoveMove, or WoahWoahWoah.

• Megan Fox, having turned 24 and thus too old to be a sex symbol, has to rely on her acting talent.  She's thereby unemployed.

• Formerly respected actors will continue to demean their craft, as any human over age 30 is portrayed as a drooling moron.

You think any of that information will keep the movie from being a top grosser?  I understand some movies want to keep secrets, but they also know that's impossible because not everyone will see it at the same time anyway.  And most studios are smart enough that they'd kill for this kind of excited word-of-mouth.

Now I don't blame Wizards for wanting to control their release, but I'm unconvinced that secrecy is so crucial.  Blizzard started putting out Cataclysm spoilers a year before the expansion was released.  It didn't seem to hurt them.  If cards stop having appeal 1 month after preview, then how does Magic Online even exist?  Those releases never get such a tight schedule.  (And MODO players aren't just getting scooped by lists, they had to endure sets that release after the Pro Tour already used them.)

Matignon made an agreement and broke it, and that's inexcuseable.  But from WotC's standpoint they should learn the phrase "information wants to be free" and not build such a house of cards.  I feel like they're all-or-nothing; either no one has seen the card or they give up and get all emo.  Case in point: Maro's article this week, which doesn't even name the dragon he presumably wanted to showcase.  I think there's a lot of room for a middle ground that they've simply skipped.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

There are soooo many problems and uncertainties with this it is completely ridiculous.

First, why would wotc give ANY writer, much less a pro player, the entire godbook?  Isn't just the file of the one card enough to write an article on?  To build on that, if writers get the godbook along with their preview card to provide context, why are sooo many previews hyped up to ridiculous proportions which then fall flat?  I can't count the number of cards where the pro player/writer basically says "ohmygod-preorder-this-card-right-now."  To know that they have had the context all along REALLY pisses me off.

Second, I would love to see the statistics/data on how this would hurt the overall community.  The stupid people who think buying boosters at retail is reasonable will still buy just as many boosters at retail.  Knowing all the cards well ahead of time only allows their fervor for the new cards to build.  I actually expect prerelease attendance to be up as more people will see ALL the cards and be able to pick out what they want to open (wotc does a pretty good job hitting all the demographics with the cards they design).  And this is the perfect set to do it, as the phyrexian mana costs do an excellent job of disguising the real cost of the cards, all those stupid people will just eat this set up.

Third, the punishment is stupid harsh.  Wotc cannot (or will not, as in order to do so they'd have to publicly declare some financial information to prove damages) take this to a court (and what court would it be?  French?  US?).  Poor descisions happen.  And while Matignon may (or may not) think it's all his fault, this would have never happened if he did not have such easy access to the godbook.  1 year is more than enough for any serious magic player.  To take such a good face out of the game for 3 years is absurd.

Wotc handled this better than it could have, but still pretty poorly imho.
Hahaha and the champ goes down. 

DOWN GOES FRAZIER DOWN GOES FRAZIER DOWN GOES FRAZIER!
I'm not sure it's the choice I would have made, but I feel that Matignon was suspended for so long specifically because he was just proclaimed world champion. He's one of the last people Wizards would've suspected to do something like this.

It must really be unbearable for him. Having won the world champs, and then being banned for three years. I haven't heard anything on it yet but I imagine Lotus Noir might fire him. It's pretty upsetting just to consider what kind of a position he's in right now. 

I think Draft is the best format in Magic.

I strive to be critical, rational and openminded.

I can't count the number of cards where the pro player/writer basically says "ohmygod-preorder-this-card-right-now."  To know that they have had the context all along REALLY pisses me off.

It's all part of the mutual backscratiching.  Wizards feeds cards to writers, writers overhype the card (and thus the set), Wizards feeds that writer more cards.

Do you really believe Wizards would continue feeding previews to authors (and thus the magazine/website/etc. paying that author) if preview articles were variants on "What the hell is this crap? Are they even trying anymore?"?

I am personally excited because of the leak. This set is going to be fun.
I'm not sure it's the choice I would have made, but I feel that Matignon was suspended for so long specifically because he was just proclaimed world champion. He's one of the last people Wizards would've suspected to do something like this.

Considering the ban for tossing an empty plastic bottle at someone is four years, Matignon got off easy.
CLEAR CONCLUSION: Wizards should not be sharing anything AT ALL before their preferred public date. There's absolutely no need to "preview" any cards to "select" people outside of Wizards payroll. Yes this is a confidentiality breach on the part of these individuals, but it is an unprofessional modus operandi on the part of Wizards to leak what they don't want leaked in a so-called controlled way.

I deal with confidential, secret, top secret, and other classified documentation often at work.   It's pretty simple.  Those with a need to see something worth hiding see it.  Others don't.  And timing matters, especially in marketing a continually upgrading luxury item, which Magic is.  Wake up Wizards.
What? If it is true that they give access to the God Book to writers WOTC is to blame. Writers should not get early access to the God Book because some of these writers are also players, and many of them professional players even, I feel like it is unfair that they get earlier access then the rest of us.

If anything this article makes me feel distrust towards WOTC.
 When no one was looking, Pinkie Pie took FORTY cakes. She took 40 cakes. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
CLEAR CONCLUSION: Wizards should not be sharing anything AT ALL before their preferred public date. There's absolutely no need to "preview" any cards to "select" people outside of Wizards payroll. Yes this is a confidentiality breach on the part of these individuals, but it is an unprofessional modus operandi on the part of Wizards to leak what they don't want leaked in a so-called controlled way.

I deal with confidential, secret, top secret, and other classified documentation often at work.   It's pretty simple.  Those with a need to see something worth hiding see it.  Others don't.  And timing matters, especially in marketing a continually upgrading luxury item, which Magic is.  Wake up Wizards.

Sending single cards to external writers for their previews a day, maybe two ahead of the show-off date makes sense... they get a small fragment a couple days early. Even if it leaks, it's still in the right time frame.

Sending the entire set a month ahead of time is just silly.
Even if it leaks, it's still in the right time frame.

It's the internet.  Anything "leaked" anywhere is automatically leaked everywhere.

Part of the unique situation here that people seem to not have thought about is that WotC had a, "What leak?" policy before this leak. Everyone giving them credit for how they're handling this has to realize with the tens of thousands of eyes on the net, someone would have noticed the spontaneous DCI bannings that are part of public record and put 2 and 2 together and figured out why they were issued if they hadn't released a statement. Their hand was forced.

Also, I'm glad I don't have to be involved in the international legalities of this situation as well as the game-related national pride and potential lost revenue associated with the idea of, pardon the pun, Going for the Throat here.

Individually I'm pretty indifferent to the whole thing, but the intrigue has me going.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
They violated creative copyright and disclosure agreements and you banned them from the DCI? Next time, try a court of law. And why are certain pro players getting access to cards ahead of other pro players? What kind of advantage is that? WotC should have kept their mouth shut and done things according to the binding contracts they work with.
Wizards is the party that screwed up here, more than anyone else.  They absolutely should not have been giving early access to some pro players to the set.  That information should be available to everyone or only to WotC employees, not available to a few specific players.

Additionally, using an organized play ban to punish people for leaking information really hurts the integrity of organized play.  If you want to sue the leakers for breach of contract that would be fine.  But what they did has absolutely nothing to do with tournament play at all.  They didn't cheat or break any floor rules.  Whatever they did do is completely outside the scope of tournament play, so they shouldn't be banned from tournament play as a punishment.
Good of him to come clean but that's pretty dumb you gotta say. Wotc did the right thing in this situation: They got tripped (by their own world champion :rolleyes, they rolled with the punches (published full set on the site) and then found out the culprits, banned them and issued a statement. +1 to Wotc handling of it.

Even though yeah overall this still sucks. I love a spoiler as much as the next guy but this one was a little too saucy in hindsight.
our new, happy life
This is (Content Removed), WotC, and I won't be spending a dime on NPH if I'm deprived of seeing awesome players like W-T and matignon on the pro-tour.  Being suspended for cheating is one thing, being suspended for inadvertently hurting your company's bottom line is another.  Bah.  Corporations suck.
This is pretty much a deal sealer for me wizards. I have not played magic at near the level I was a year and a half ago, due to decks now being infinite money (and i opened 2 jace's), but I got exicted about magic due to these leaks. Now you are banning one of the most creative players in the game and the runner up in the player of the year race. All that new set buzz is gone and I'm definately quitting. Yes you have the right to do this, no this is not the way this should have been handled. Did any of the people invovled sign a non disclosure agreement. If not its your own fault as a company for releasing the god books without this. And if one person did sign it and violated it, they should be the only one penalized. Becuase one person who abused their priviledges did something and why should the person who had interest in the set and wanted to share it becuase it was EXCITING, get punished. 

Yet another in the long line of wizards doesn't care about its players. This did no harm to the game and is a stunt by wizards to show that they only rules with an iron fist, even when they should have no authority to do so. This is why I stopped playing MTGO and why I greatly reduced my papaer magic play.

Hope the rich kids and poker players can sustain you forever. 
Yeah sure the culprits got banned, but the real issue is that WotC is giving the "godbook" to pro players in the first place. This is something that needs to brought to the player's attention. Matigon won worlds who is to say that he didn't have an advantage over the other players because he had much more time to preview MBS and playtest with the new released cards in order to know what the meta game would look like. This is just ridiculous and puts a major disadvantage to the other players.
I just reread the title of this article.  Maybe if they used building materials other than rusted metal, bone, and flayed flesh, New Phyrexia would be less likely to leak.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
I feel that Matignon was suspended for so long specifically because he was just proclaimed world champion.  

I assume he got the extra-heavy hammer because out of all of the people that were banned, he was the only guy that was under NDA - aka the guy Wizards should be able to trust.
Sign In to post comments