04/28/2011 FtL: "Pod Power"

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
As much as I wish Pod worked with evoke guys, it's only any time you could play a sorcery.
As much as I wish Pod worked with evoke guys, it's only any time you could play a sorcery.

Beat me to it.

As is, it's sort of a wonky neat "build around me" card that should spawn some neat casual decks but not much else.

I really like it for EDH, actually. I'm a sucker for comes-into-play effects on creatures, and this works wonders with them.
Aren't these articles written 2 - 3 weeks beforehand ? Kinda makes me think the leak of the spoiler wasn't really a leak. As busy as all these guys probably are, I can't imagine the articles went back to them when the news of the spoiler broke asking them to do a whole new article on such short notice.
Aren't these articles written 2 - 3 weeks beforehand ? Kinda makes me think the leak of the spoiler wasn't really a leak. As busy as all these guys probably are, I can't imagine the articles went back to them when the news of the spoiler broke asking them to do a whole new article on such short notice.

The legit spoiler was put on the site on Monday, I sent Noel an email about an hour after it broke (I'm the guy who sent in the second decklist), and apparently he included it already.
Whether or not he brewed his list while reading the GodBook or not, the rest of the article was written in under a week.
~C Bronies forever- because the best show on television is a cartoon for little girls. Things that cheer me up: the upcoming Good Omens miniseries, Discworld being adapted to a crime-of-the-week TV series (CSI: Ankh-Morpork), and ponies. Lots and lots of ponies.
That last deck looks like fun.  The only Massacre Wurm I have I got from one of four random packs (went to Walmart and picked up four packs from the back of the shelf) in which I also got a Koth and Elspth(Sperate packs obv.).  I kid you not.  I wish I had that kind of luck online when I draft.
The 5-Colour BringerPod deck is utterly, utterly awesome. It also needs more Hibernation's End, since that's another odd green rare that tutors out creatures at each converted mana cost slot in turn. 

I'll be emailing you a whole bunch of Johnnytastic New Phyrexia ideas shortly...
Question about the use of Birthing Pods ability on a morph creature (face down):  would the morph creature only have a converted mana cost of 0 (zero) while it is face down, mana cost of 3 (three) as that is what you cast it as or would it be its full mana cost as it is still the same card (not a token)?
Question about the use of Birthing Pods ability on a morph creature (face down):  would the morph creature only have a converted mana cost of 0 (zero) while it is face down, mana cost of 3 (three) as that is what you cast it as or would it be its full mana cost as it is still the same card (not a token)?

Quoting the rules:
502.26b To play a spell using its morph ability, turn it face down. It becomes a 2/2 face-down creature spell, with no text, no name, no subtypes, no expansion symbol, and a mana cost of 0.

So you can fetch only a Joraga Treespeaker by birthing the morphed Scornful Egotist.

As has been stated Birthing Pod only works as a sorcery.  It's not that useful not only because of that restriction but also because of the tap requirement of the ability.  Honestly the only truely competative deck I could see use it in standard would be one of the Fauna Shaman silver bullet decks.  I don't see it making a splash in legacy simply because it's so slow (tapping it down is critical here) but maybe it'll find a home in extended with the larger pool of creatures to fetch out.

Birthing Pod does give Viridian Emissary more hope of seeing play at least.  Wink

I don't think the articles are written that far in advance, as they generally mention current goings-on.  Flores's Top Decks articles especially feature the previous week's tournament reports, and the week after any big event some writers will mention the results.

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious and endearing at the same time that Noel deCordova keeps posting decks centered around cards that he hasn't actually read all the way through(Birthing Pod this week and Bazaar Trader a couple weeks ago).  I've done similar things before, I once built a deck with molten psyche and then cast it on somoene elses turn in multiplayer completely forgetting it was a sorcery, oops.
Am I the only one who saw Birthing Pod and instantly thought of Protean Hulk?  Get yourself a creature with CMC of 8 and use the Hulk's effect for creatures with CMC totaling up to 6.  If you're using the Hulk to combo kill then this might be pointless, but if not... think of the possibilities.  The Hulk's creature could be a CMC 6 just so you can use that to birth a new Protean Hulk.
Am I the only one who saw Birthing Pod and instantly thought of Protean Hulk?  Get yourself a creature with CMC of 8 and use the Hulk's effect for creatures with CMC totaling up to 6.  If you're using the Hulk to combo kill then this might be pointless, but if not... think of the possibilities.  The Hulk's creature could be a CMC 6 just so you can use that to birth a new Protean Hulk.

Like you implied, though, HulkFlash is one of those combos where using any part of it for something else almost feels redundant.

As has been stated Birthing Pod only works as a sorcery.  It's not that useful not only because of that restriction but also because of the tap requirement of the ability.  Honestly the only truely competative deck I could see use it in standard would be one of the Fauna Shaman silver bullet decks.  I don't see it making a splash in legacy simply because it's so slow (tapping it down is critical here) but maybe it'll find a home in extended with the larger pool of creatures to fetch out.

Birthing Pod does give Viridian Emissary more hope of seeing play at least.  Wink

You say "one of the Fauna Shaman silver bullet decks" like it's a bad thing.

Seriously, a repeatable tutoring effect that can be used in any color, and sacrifices creatures to tutor something else up instead of discarding them?

It's true that it is slow. I guess you could use a creature with an ETB untap ability to use it multiple times per turn (turn two: Myr. Turn three: Birthing Pod. Turn four: sacrifice Myr to Birthing Pod to tutor up a Deceiver Exarch, use the Exarch's ETB ability to untap the Pod, use the Pod again, sacrificing the Exarch, to get any 4 CMC creature, maybe a Necrotic Ooze, which would now have a bunch of abilities, and meanwhile you've had two creatures go to the graveyard and two enter the battlefield in one turn, which you might be able to use...), but like HulkFlash, there are better combos available.

Even so, I still wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be useful. Like the article points out, you can use it with most tokens to get any creature with a CMC of 1, so if nothing else that's card advantage. And there are ways to compensate for the life lost, like Fangren Marauder, if you sacrifice an artifact. With the marauder and the Pod in play, cast a Precursor Golem, sacrifice the original Golem to the Pod to get a Wurmcoil Engine, next turn sacrifice that to get a Myr Battlesphere, and next turn sacrifice that to get a Gigantomancer and make all the tokens 7/7 and attack... and even if they manage to kill all of those, you'll have gained over 50 life.

More generally, I'm pretty sure Standard these days has more ways to interact with "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield" triggers than with discarding. Quest for the Gravelord, Pawn of Ulamog, Butcher of Malakir, Clone Shell, Flesh Allergy...
Er, kids, this is the Wacky Decks column, not Swimming With Sharks. Discussing the lack of tournament value of Birthing Pod is a bit pointless here.
Apparently they thought this column was so good it pushed Toms latest developments article into the "most resent headlines" section instead of appearing on the main stage/in the headlines/whatever you should call those picture & abstract squares on the site.
Etched Monstrosity in deck without Melira is kinda wasteful, casting it as 10/10 in turn 3...

Turn 1: Joraga Treespeaker
Turn 2: level up; Melira
Turn 3: Etched Monstrosity as 10/10
Sign In to post comments