04/28/2011 TD: "The Loneliest Number"

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
It feels like a better comparison for a 1/1 infect creature would be Savannah Lions.  Infect's twice the damage, sure, but it doesn't help with the 1 toughness factor.
I was thinking something similar but for a different reason; you want to draw multiples of this new guy, but you'd rather only have one Isumaru in your opening hand.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
I think infect creatures should be counted as (P*2)/T creatures for evaluation.
So, it's a 2/1  with no ability to recover "life" loss.  Or just count it as a 1/1 wither that does 2 to players.

Gitaxian Probe: Do you mean Peek or Ponder?

Re: Gitxaian Probe — Did any major decks (aside from Astral Slide) actually play Street Wraith?
I agree that the Savannah Lions is a better comparison than Isumaru when considering the strength of Glistener Elf.  An opening hand of Glistener Elf, Forest,  4 Mutagenic Growths and Mirran Mettle seems pretty strong!

Personally, I see Mental Mistep as the strongest card in the new suite of 0 costing cards.  The ability to counter an Aether Vial or Goblin Lackey or numerous other cards turn 1 when on the draw is insane.  Certainly not a replacement for Force of Will but I think will be used as an addition (and in the later game can be pitched as the blue card to Force of Will.
How could "red decks execute Kor Firewalker by paying 2 life"? If Flores had Dismember in mind, that would cost 4 life to pay.
I don't get why the probe is compared to Ponder instead of Peek.

L1 Judge

I don't get why the probe is compared to Ponder instead of Peek.

Because Ponder has seen tournament play, and as far as I know Peek hasn't, at least not seriously and/or not as much. Flores apparently figures that Peek with the option of being cast for life instead of mana is comparable to Ponder.
Am I the only one who thinks Mental Misstep is going to be worth a billion zillion dollars?
Am I the only one who thinks Mental Misstep is going to be worth a billion zillion dollars?

Well, it's uncommon, so that kind of puts a cap on things. Also, its effect is very narrow. There are lots of "utility" cards that have a CMC of 1, but how many of them have game-winning effects, rather than just replacing itself or one-for-one removal? Basilisk Collar, Forked Bolt, maybe Joraga Treespeaker, Quest for the Holy Relic... anyone might want to counter those, but if you use Mental Misstep on your opponent's Preordain or Lightning Bolt, they don't get to scry and draw a card or kill a creature, but you lose two life and don't get to play a different spell that occupied the slot taken up by Mental Misstep, so you're just even.

To be clear, yes, it's definitely a good card. No disagreement here. In blue decks it will be very common. I'm just saying that I don't think it will be used much more than any of the other splashable Phyrexian cards.
Does the [C]Glistener Elf[/C] interest anybody as a turn two kill? Turn one, [C]Forest[/C], [C]Glistener Elf[/C]. Turn two, [C]Mountain[/C], [C]Assault Strobe[/C], [C]Groundswell[/C], swing for 10 poison. With the other alternate cost of [C]Gut Shot[/C] to clear pesky [C]Squadron Hawk[/C]s and [C]Mental Misstep[/C] to stop most responses, i think this could be a very fast and efficient. Even when Zendikar rotates out of standard, the same can be accomplished with [C]Giant Growth[/C] or [C]Mirran Mettle[/C] and [C]Mutagenic growth[/C].

I'm already playing a Green/Blue infect deck using [C]Distortion Strike[/C]s and light control, works decent in my metagame. The [c]Glistener Elf[/C] just makes me want to play red as well.
I'm glad someone else also thinks the best word to describe Gitaxian Probe is "insane." That's the first thing I said when I saw it. Glistener Elf is just as insane. This whole set is insane.

I'm glad someone else also thinks the best word to describe Gitaxian Probe is "insane." That's the first thing I said when I saw it. Glistener Elf is just as insane. This whole set is insane.

Now, now.  Phyrexia is not insane, they just "think differently."
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
I don't get it, Gitaxian Probe is not a good card. Why would anybody think otherwise?

It's just a cheap Peek, for crying out loud.
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
Cheap as free. That's why. Adds to Storm count without loss of tempo OR cards, for just one use. 
Think of it as a better Street Wraith rather than a better Peek.  It's probably not as good as the current hype, but players have been trying to achieve 56-card decks since Urza's Bauble and this seems like the next incremental step better.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

So basically it's hyped to oblivion for the same reasons as Urza's Bauble, Mishra's Bauble, Street Wraith and Manamorphose. It'll ultimately be discarded for the same reasons: messing up mulligan decisions.

L1 Judge

Ok the card isn't free. You pay two life. How does that make it free???

It is free in the same sense as Force of Will.  It can be played at any time you can play the card type, even when all your mana is tapped out.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

It is free in the same sense as Force of Will.  It can be played at any time you can play the card type, even when all your mana is tapped out.

"Free" is one of those words that has a very different meaning for Spikes than for sane people the rest of us.
Or anyone who understands that players start the game with 19 more life than they truly need. As in, Johnnies and many Timmies get that too.

"Free" is one of those words that has a very different meaning for Spikes than for sane people the rest of us.

I'm no Spike.  I have never been to a PTQ or any tournament more serious than an FNM.  I go to college most of the year.  I am more of a Timmy than anything else.  I am a fairly casual player.  However, I know that you sometimes need to lose some life to get a decent effect.  Whether it's playing a card earlier or making a color of mana that you need (such as from the Ravnica shocklands).  While most of the Phyrexian mana cards may not be worth the life to play earlier, some will be.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Sign In to post comments