Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for May, 2011

186 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of May, 2011.
At first I was like, "Wuh?"

Then I was like, "Yeah."

Didn't realize Scars Block constructed was slow enough to do something like that, what with Tempered Steel running around.  Huh.  Cool.
Why do the Intro Packs have Scars rares in them?  I thought Intro Packs only had rares from the set they were showcasing?
As usual my interest in buying the Intro Packs is drastically diluted by the presence of core set cards in them.  BR has 3, RW has 4,  UB has 5, and GW has a whopping 6, including two uncommons.  But the real tragedy is the single naturalize in GU; had this been a Sylvok Replica or Slice in Twain, the deck would have been block-pure.  I'm likeliest to buy this one followed by the RW, since that one focuses the most on the blocks' theme.  But I might instead just buy singles - especially since they've apparently now decided the Intro Pack should contain only one New Phyrexia rare.  (Please tell me if I've miscounted - I thought at first it was one Scars or Besieged rare besides the two NP rares I expected, but it seems as though the old rare takes the place of a new one - which makes Tower of Calamities pretty insulting in the BR deck, and that's the one I'm absolutely least likely to buy.)
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
yeah the ug one looks the most interesting, but buying pre-cons is terrible.  a month after the release i can just use a similar idea for my own better priced and more effective list...still its a good concept
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
I am absolutely buying the "Life for Death" deck.  I have been wanting to build a phyrexian mana deck since the set was spoiled.  I absolutely love and definitely want to get more.  I'm not too impressed with most of the other decks and I don't see why none of them have two NPH rares.  The RW one could have had Norn's AnnexPhyrexian Unlife with more non-creature artifacts, or Soul Conduit.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I'll probably be picking up the B/R deck and the R/W one. The rest are pretty uninspired though.
Green/Blue is clearly the best. I actually had a similar idea for my own deck.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

Green/Blue is clearly the best. I actually had a similar idea for my own deck.

Best in the sense of most effective, probably the best strategy... Incredibly boring though. It's infect in UG. Big, dull woop.

I would also recommend looking into what it would cost to buy that deck as singles, since a lot of the cards doing the work for you and should probably be four-ofs are commons.
Why do the Intro Packs have Scars rares in them?  I thought Intro Packs only had rares from the set they were showcasing?

Aside from the dragon, all bad rares too. Pretty harsh for new players... poor n00bs. But how else can they get basic land these days?

Aside from the dragon, all bad rares too. Pretty harsh for new players... poor n00bs. But how else can they get basic land these days?

Got to disagree with you there. Blade Splicer is pretty good. a 4/4 for 3 is very cost efficent.

Um same way Im assuming most people get them..from the card shop?  For free?

I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.

Um same way Im assuming most people get them..from the card shop?  For free?

Oh, I don't live in America. There are no 'card shop's here. Lands are a precious commodity

Yeah blade splicer is good. I suppose you get a booster pack too. I wonder if they make sure the rare is on-colour? 

Don't know about anyone else, but I find ebay useful for that. I invested in a thousand for a fiver :-) Should keep me going for life!

Put the name of the deck on the front of the box please!
Am I missing something or is Act of Aggresion really not supposed to clarify it "can target any creature, even one that's untapped or that you already control" when it clearly says "Gain control of target creature an opponent controls."?
No, my mistake on Act of Aggression. It clearly can't target a creature you control. Maybe it did during development? Maybe I just assumed incorrectly? Oops!
Another typo/error in today's FAQ: Unless I'm quite mistaken, Xenograft doesn't have an enters-the-battlefield ability to resolve. The choice should be made when Xenograft itself is resolving (or when it is entering the battlefield another way).
Rules Nut Advisor
Another typo/error in today's FAQ: Unless I'm quite mistaken, Xenograft doesn't have an enters-the-battlefield ability to resolve. The choice should be made when Xenograft itself is resolving (or when it is entering the battlefield another way).

Really? Thats strange - is it because of the difference between "AS <> enters the battlefield" and "WHEN <> enters the battlefield"?
It's just an error in the FAQ. You make the choice as Xenograft is entering the battlefield. Once this happens, you can't respond by trying to counter the spell or anything like that.
um...what's going on with the FAQ for Bludgeon Brawl?

While Bludgeon Brawl is on the battlefield, an Aura enchantment that somehow becomes an artifact in addition to its other types will also become an Equipment. Any of its abilities that refer to either "enchanted creature" or "equipped creature" refer to the creature it's currently attached to. It can be attached to other creatures using its equip ability. If you try to attach the Aura Equipment to a creature it can't legally be attached to, it remains where it is. If the creature it's attached to becomes an illegal permanent for it to enchant, the Aura Equipment will be put into its owner's graveyard as a state-based action.

It sounds like you're saying that if you turn an aura into an artifact-and thus into an equipment with Bludgeon Brawl active-that you can pay the equip cost and equip the aura to another creature and have the new creature gain the aura bonuses in addition to the 'equipment' buff.

Didn't the rules update just say that equip/enchant/fortify must all be treated separately?

301.7, 303.4i
Okay, here's a fun one. Let's imagine you have a Myr Welder that's exiled a Demonspine Whip and a Transmogrifying Licid. (Someone in the rules forum actually imagined this.) You activate the Licid's ability to attach the Myr Welder to another creature. The Myr Welder is no longer a creature at this point and is just an Aura enchantment, so this works nicely. It still has the Demonspine Whip's ability, which says ": Equipped creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn." Is the creature Myr Welder's attached to the "equipped creature?"

For even more fun, imagine the creature above is a Kor Duelist. There isn't an Equipment attached to it, so it's not equipped, so it doesn't have double strike. But at the same time, if Myr Welder's ability sees it as the "equipped creature," it would give it a bonus. Well, that's weird. So we drew some harder lines.

Enchanted, equipped, and fortified are all ways for one object to be attached to another, but they are not interchangeable. For an ability that refers to the "equipped creature" to function, that ability must be on an Equipment. The same is true for Auras and abilities that refer to the "enchanted creature." Ditto Fortifications and "fortified land." These two rules address this issue.

Or was the issue here just that the Myr Welder was not an equipment?

What would happen if that same Myr Welder (with both the Transmogrifying Licid and the Demonspine Whip imprinted on it) transmogrified itself into an aura that attached to another creature, let's say a Spikeshot Elder just to pick a creature, while a Bludgeon Brawl was active?

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

In the Grim Affliction's scenario when put a -1/-1 counter on a creature with +1/+1 counter wouldn't you have to add with proliferate both types of counters ?
In the Grim Affliction 's scenario when put a -1/-1 counter on a creature with +1/+1 counter wouldn't you have to add with proliferate both types of counters ?

No, the proliferate mechanic chooses a single type of counter on a permanent that it is proliferating, then it adds one more counter of just the chosen type.

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

um...what's going on with the FAQ for Bludgeon Brawl?

While Bludgeon Brawl is on the battlefield, an Aura enchantment that somehow becomes an artifact in addition to its other types will also become an Equipment. Any of its abilities that refer to either "enchanted creature" or "equipped creature" refer to the creature it's currently attached to. It can be attached to other creatures using its equip ability. If you try to attach the Aura Equipment to a creature it can't legally be attached to, it remains where it is. If the creature it's attached to becomes an illegal permanent for it to enchant, the Aura Equipment will be put into its owner's graveyard as a state-based action.

It sounds like you're saying that if you turn an aura into an artifact-and thus into an equipment with Bludgeon Brawl active-that you can pay the equip cost and equip the aura to another creature and have the new creature gain the aura bonuses in addition to the 'equipment' buff.

Didn't the rules update just say that equip/enchant/fortify must all be treated separately?

301.7, 303.4i
Okay, here's a fun one. Let's imagine you have a Myr Welder that's exiled a Demonspine Whip and a Transmogrifying Licid. (Someone in the rules forum actually imagined this.) You activate the Licid's ability to attach the Myr Welder to another creature. The Myr Welder is no longer a creature at this point and is just an Aura enchantment, so this works nicely. It still has the Demonspine Whip's ability, which says ": Equipped creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn." Is the creature Myr Welder's attached to the "equipped creature?"

For even more fun, imagine the creature above is a Kor Duelist. There isn't an Equipment attached to it, so it's not equipped, so it doesn't have double strike. But at the same time, if Myr Welder's ability sees it as the "equipped creature," it would give it a bonus. Well, that's weird. So we drew some harder lines.

Enchanted, equipped, and fortified are all ways for one object to be attached to another, but they are not interchangeable. For an ability that refers to the "equipped creature" to function, that ability must be on an Equipment. The same is true for Auras and abilities that refer to the "enchanted creature." Ditto Fortifications and "fortified land." These two rules address this issue.

Or was the issue here just that the Myr Welder was not an equipment?

What would happen if that same Myr Welder (with both the Transmogrifying Licid and the Demonspine Whip imprinted on it) transmogrified itself into an aura that attached to another creature, let's say a Spikeshot Elder just to pick a creature, while a Bludgeon Brawl was active?

A Liquimetal Coatinged Aura under Bludgeon Brawl is both an Enchantment and an Aura. It will give both sets of bonuses to the creature it is attached to. The Welder-based monstrosity is just an Aura, not an Equipment, so it won't have any "equipped creature" bonuses work.
Rules Nut Advisor

A Liquimetal Coatinged Aura under Bludgeon Brawl is both an Enchantment and an Aura. It will give both sets of bonuses to the creature it is attached to. The Welder-based monstrosity is just an Aura, not an Equipment, so it won't have any "equipped creature" bonuses work.

Ah, aha, so it was just the fact that the Welder was not an equipment.  Thanks for clearing that up and explaining the more global ruling beyond the Welder.  (And I soooooo shoulda caught that the transmogrified welder on it's own was no longer an artifact in addition to no longer being a creature...doh!)

Post #777

How does Melira interact with persist?
Also, if spellskite is equipped with livewire lash, and I change the target of something to spellskite, does livewire lash trigger?  Can I pay 4 life to change the target of a single spell twice get it to trigger twice?

Thanks. 
Guys, please, change back the design of the FNM promo cards; the new desiegn with foil arrows everywhere and Friday Night Magic in the art box is totally ugly and ruins the card
Indeed, is there anyone who finds this a nice design?
Wizards?
The Pony Co. Because none of us are as loving as all of us.
Contact info
In case contacting me over the forums is not possible for some reason or another, my email is morten.c.k.olsen@gmail.com. Please state who you are, because I will most likely end up ignoring people that I don't know at least somewhat.
Alwaaaaays, I wanna be with you!
56287226 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
You clearly overestimate my cognitive skills by assuming that I could have accumulated that knowledge independently.
Okay, I'll be sure not to make that kind of assumption in the future. Now, if you'd like to go back to the main Magic General 'forum' page (that's the one that lists all the different 'discussion threads' that people have 'posted') from this page, just press the up-arrow key on your keyboard until you reach the top of the page, then click the link that says "Magic General"--it should be in fairly small font, just above the buttons labeled "Post Reply" and "Subscribe" and the box labeled "Jump Menu", but below the blue link labeled "Preferences". It'll be in a line with a number of other small-font links with different names. From the 'forum' page you will be able to select another 'thread' to view; 'threads' that people have 'posted' to since you last looked at them will have their names listed in bold font and have the number of unread replies listed just to the right of the name. If you click that unread replies number, it will take you right to the last reply you viewed in the 'thread' so that you can continue reading all the new replies from there. To get back to the main Magic General 'forum' page, just repeat the process from the previous paragraph--don't worry if you're on a different page, all 'thread' pages will have the same basic layout, so it should work exactly the same on any page in the Magic General 'forum'.\ And remember, if you accidentally click on the wrong link and find yourself on a page you're not familiar with, there's no need to panic; you can always press the 'back' button in your browser to go back to whatever you were looking at before. It should be on the left-hand side near the top of the screen, just below the menu bar, and will probably have a picture of some kind of arrow pointing to the left on it. Hope that helps!
56957928 wrote:
56914748 wrote:
The explanation given was that since land cards represent mystical bonds to far-off places rather than actual tangible things like creatures and other permanents, a person might have more than one memory of an area, or different mages could forge a bond to different parts of a place, etc. and that simply being a unique location doesn't necessarily mean that a land card has to be legendary.
"I remember my days as a schoolboy at the Tolarian Academy..." "Really? I went there too-" "Wait don't- Well ****, there goes my childhood."
56816728 wrote:
I was clearly wrong about Dragon_Whelp, he clearly is a jerk.
57471038 wrote:
Allow me to extrapolate—regular game play, as defined by WotC, is tournament play. As such, Casual, EDH, Planechase, and all that other stuff is irregular Magic; if Magic at all. So the next time someone says Competitive Constructed decks are not the only decks that count in Constructed (Casual Constructed), then I can gleefully point to the definition set forth by WotC and say that Competitive Constructed is in deed the only ones that count, and that they are playing some irregular form of Magic.
56792158 wrote:
Dragon, just don't argue with Hovercraft. He's his own Legacy metagame.
57471038 wrote:
One with Nothing is the third iteration in an attempt to make Black Lotus fair: Black Lotus: That's too good, we need to tone it down. Lion's Eye Diamond: Dammit, players are still using it in a very broken manner! One with Nothing: Alright! We got it now.
Twin2;15476002 wrote:
What happened to the really fun cards? Well you see a long long time ago the earth was ruled by dinosaurs. They were big so not a lot of people went around hassling them. Then a giant meteorite struck the earth, good bye dinosaurs. But what if the dinosaurs weren't all destroyed? What if the impact of that meteorite created a parallel dimension where the dinosaurs continue to thrive and evolve into intelligent vicious aggressive beings? What if they found a way back? ....wait that's not what happened to the fun cards that's the intro to the mario brothers movie. Get those two confused all the time, my bad.
56981618 wrote:
It's a folllow-up on the Priceless Treasures, Deadly Perils idea. See, what happened was, you got the packs that the Eldrazi had already gotten to--the had annihilated everything but the land itself. In fall, expect to open some packs and find cards covered in goopy, black oil. It's all about the marketing angle, people.
I think the real problem is that the new art doesn't have the hawk holding a sword in it's claws.
Haw haw, never heard that one before.
The Pony Co. Because none of us are as loving as all of us.
Contact info
In case contacting me over the forums is not possible for some reason or another, my email is morten.c.k.olsen@gmail.com. Please state who you are, because I will most likely end up ignoring people that I don't know at least somewhat.
Alwaaaaays, I wanna be with you!
56287226 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
You clearly overestimate my cognitive skills by assuming that I could have accumulated that knowledge independently.
Okay, I'll be sure not to make that kind of assumption in the future. Now, if you'd like to go back to the main Magic General 'forum' page (that's the one that lists all the different 'discussion threads' that people have 'posted') from this page, just press the up-arrow key on your keyboard until you reach the top of the page, then click the link that says "Magic General"--it should be in fairly small font, just above the buttons labeled "Post Reply" and "Subscribe" and the box labeled "Jump Menu", but below the blue link labeled "Preferences". It'll be in a line with a number of other small-font links with different names. From the 'forum' page you will be able to select another 'thread' to view; 'threads' that people have 'posted' to since you last looked at them will have their names listed in bold font and have the number of unread replies listed just to the right of the name. If you click that unread replies number, it will take you right to the last reply you viewed in the 'thread' so that you can continue reading all the new replies from there. To get back to the main Magic General 'forum' page, just repeat the process from the previous paragraph--don't worry if you're on a different page, all 'thread' pages will have the same basic layout, so it should work exactly the same on any page in the Magic General 'forum'.\ And remember, if you accidentally click on the wrong link and find yourself on a page you're not familiar with, there's no need to panic; you can always press the 'back' button in your browser to go back to whatever you were looking at before. It should be on the left-hand side near the top of the screen, just below the menu bar, and will probably have a picture of some kind of arrow pointing to the left on it. Hope that helps!
56957928 wrote:
56914748 wrote:
The explanation given was that since land cards represent mystical bonds to far-off places rather than actual tangible things like creatures and other permanents, a person might have more than one memory of an area, or different mages could forge a bond to different parts of a place, etc. and that simply being a unique location doesn't necessarily mean that a land card has to be legendary.
"I remember my days as a schoolboy at the Tolarian Academy..." "Really? I went there too-" "Wait don't- Well ****, there goes my childhood."
56816728 wrote:
I was clearly wrong about Dragon_Whelp, he clearly is a jerk.
57471038 wrote:
Allow me to extrapolate—regular game play, as defined by WotC, is tournament play. As such, Casual, EDH, Planechase, and all that other stuff is irregular Magic; if Magic at all. So the next time someone says Competitive Constructed decks are not the only decks that count in Constructed (Casual Constructed), then I can gleefully point to the definition set forth by WotC and say that Competitive Constructed is in deed the only ones that count, and that they are playing some irregular form of Magic.
56792158 wrote:
Dragon, just don't argue with Hovercraft. He's his own Legacy metagame.
57471038 wrote:
One with Nothing is the third iteration in an attempt to make Black Lotus fair: Black Lotus: That's too good, we need to tone it down. Lion's Eye Diamond: Dammit, players are still using it in a very broken manner! One with Nothing: Alright! We got it now.
Twin2;15476002 wrote:
What happened to the really fun cards? Well you see a long long time ago the earth was ruled by dinosaurs. They were big so not a lot of people went around hassling them. Then a giant meteorite struck the earth, good bye dinosaurs. But what if the dinosaurs weren't all destroyed? What if the impact of that meteorite created a parallel dimension where the dinosaurs continue to thrive and evolve into intelligent vicious aggressive beings? What if they found a way back? ....wait that's not what happened to the fun cards that's the intro to the mario brothers movie. Get those two confused all the time, my bad.
56981618 wrote:
It's a folllow-up on the Priceless Treasures, Deadly Perils idea. See, what happened was, you got the packs that the Eldrazi had already gotten to--the had annihilated everything but the land itself. In fall, expect to open some packs and find cards covered in goopy, black oil. It's all about the marketing angle, people.
On this month's FNM card, I usually don't like the alternate art on cards (just seem to prefer the original almost every time), but I really like Squadron Hawk's alternate here better. I would really like to get a wallpaper of this art.
How does Melira interact with persist?

Melira allows creatures with persist to come back, but they don't get -1/-1 counters, so you keep getting them back. There aren't that many green cards with persist, so find your favorite other color with persist and build a nice two-color deck with that insane matchup.
Too bad there aren't any over the top good green persist creatures.

Wait...DAMNIT, WIZARDS.
Too bad there aren't any over the top good green persist creatures.

Wait...DAMNIT, WIZARDS.

There are a lot of good persist creatures. Woodfall Primus, River Kelpie, Glen Elendra Archmage... Murderous Redcap can target itself with the damage for an arbitrarily large number of creatures entering the battlefield, leaving the battlefield, and/or being put in the graveyard to fuel any infinite combos... a number of Scarecrows can gain or grant persist and Reaper King likes it when Scarecrows enter the battlefield repeatedly... or just use Cauldron of Souls to give ANYTHING persist.
Am I the only one who likes both the Flameborn Viron sketches way more than the final? That sketchy unfinished style is really really cool and could be explored more to great effect. I'd rather see stuff of that style on cards than the overly detailed stuff we get all the time.
I remember when I was working on flavor text for NP, I got to see the original sketch for the "Furnace Wasp" and was underwhelmed by it; the "up-kilt camera" version we got instead was much more exciting to me.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Am I the only one who likes both the Flameborn Viron sketches way more than the final? That sketchy unfinished style is really really cool and could be explored more to great effect. I'd rather see stuff of that style on cards than the overly detailed stuff we get all the time.

There is very little difference between the final sketch and the actual card.  However, I do like the first version more than both.

To me, the darker form of sketches would only really work on the pre 8th edition borders (which were also dark).
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Will there be a Sortable Spoiler for New Phyrexia? That used to be the first feature article after prerelease. It would be a pity if there wasn't one, because it is the only place where you can see everything including the flavor texts in text format....
Sign In to post comments