Character Creation Rules

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Any chance that this campaign will be open to pre-Essentials classes?
"It's all ball bearings these days!"

From the Organizer instructions:

Players are encouraged to create their own characters.

Players can use the Heroes of the Fallen Lands, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, the new (for this season only) Player’s Option: Heroes of Shadow, or any article content in Dragon magazine that supports these products to make a character.
So I hope to see some updated Warlord or Fighters! 
Any chance that this campaign will be open to pre-Essentials classes?

It is Essentials and Heroes of Shadow only for character creation.

You will have differing mileage from organizers and DM's depending upon your venue.

Experienced and new players alike where I play dont mind the restrictions.
So I hope to see some updated Warlord or Fighters! 

The Warlord and Fighter articles are not support for the "Heroes of" series of books.

They are reformatted (in the Essentials style) versions of the PHB1 classes. They have been reformatted for those people that actually started 4th edition via the Essentials products. The Dragon articles will be presenting the PHB1 clases in the visual Essentials style since it will be the most familiar style for these people.
The majority of Essentials articles have a symbol on the first page denoting which product they support. The Warlord and Fighter articles do not have the symbol for the Heroes of... series. Therefore they are not available by default for the Encounters program. Individual organizers can waive those restrictions.

So, the Dragon articles bit is just for stuff that directly builds on HotFL/HotFK, like the Pyromancer? 

The new-again Marshal and Weaponmaster sub-classes, while essentials-formatted and calling out HotFL/K as something you'd 'need' to use them to create a complete character, are not 'in support' of those books... I suppose because they also say you could use the PH?  Undecided

This is getting odd.  From the PoV of a started-with-Essentials player, the Marshal is as 'new' as the Binder or Vampire.    If the Class Compendium had seen print, it would have been OK in season 4.  And, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a less-religious-feeling leader option in addition to the Warpriest & Sentinel... 

...but, it'll take DM aproval to bring in one of these 'new' classes?

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I know my DM will allow the the fighter build and maybe the warlord that have been formatted for essentials. Since the Weaponmaster is just a different kind of Fighter it would make sense for it to work. Allas I will miss the first three weeks so my guy is gonna be way behind the ball when I get back.
Heroes of Spell and Sword was supposed to have "essentials" versions of the PHB1 classes and rules for rituals and multiclassing. It was scrapped as a print product but will probably be cannibalized by Dragon mag.

Until then, Essentials-only at DM's discretion. edit: plus HoS and supporting Dragon articles, of course.
I wish there were more defender choices. Knight or Cavalier are the only choices and they are, in my view, virtually the same.

p.s. I predict lots of vampires adventuring with a few anemic blackguards.
I have to make a decision on whether to DM or play this season.

If I play I will probably do an executioner, though the new hexblade variant is intriguing also.
Heroes of Spell and Sword was supposed to have "essentials" versions of the PHB1 classes and rules for rituals and multiclassing. It was scrapped as a print product but will probably be cannibalized by Dragon mag.

Until then, Essentials-only at DM's discretion. edit: plus HoS and supporting Dragon articles, of course.

The first portion of this has already been done in the Dragon the Warlord(Marshal) and the Fighter(Weaponmaster) They however, lack the essentials seal but I'm pretty sure its a rare DM that wouldn't let someone play them.
I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

I wish there were more defender choices. Knight or Cavalier are the only choices and they are, in my view, virtually the same.

p.s. I predict lots of vampires adventuring with a few anemic blackguards.

Blackguards anemic??? To quote Inigo Montoya  "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Char-op seems to think they are pretty darn strong leaving the vamp in the dust for the striker role. 

I do lament that there are no new defenders classes available for this season along with you Luke.      

Blackguards anemic??? To quote Inigo Montoya "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Fixed.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

I think what they meant was that Blackguards will be hemorrhaging surges to feed the Vampire PCs.
I predict lots of vampires adventuring with a few anemic blackguards.

Blackguards anemic??? To quote Inigo Montoya  "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Char-op seems to think they are pretty darn strong leaving the vamp in the dust for the striker role.

He meant literally anemic, not metaphorically weak.  ;)
  Oops guess took it in the wrong way, didnt think of anemic from blood loss to vampires.

I'm thinking of playing my character from season 4 — a dwarven warpriest. He nearly died in the last two combats, so he's forsaken Pelor and become a devotee of the Raven Queen (and, of course, he's lost his class levels and items he's acquired).

Oops guess took it in the wrong way, didnt think of anemic from blood loss to vampires.

Meanwhile my infernal hexblade tiefling always has plenty of healing surges to spare, if you don't mind that his blood tastes like cayenne pepper and sulphur.

I myself will be allowing my players to play as Shadar-kai (still can't understand why they weren't in HoS) since this is an entire season hinging around the Shadowfell and, you know, Shadar-kai are pretty much the primary humanoid denizens of said Shadowfell...

On another note, the rules for character creation this season say that anything from HoS is kosher, which theoretically includes Classic warlocks and wizards since there are options for them in the book. My thoughts are that players should be allowed those classes as long as they use at least one or two shadow abilities. Just curious what you guys think.
FWIW, the Character Builder now has the Dark Legacy of Evard/D&D Encounters Campaign Setting option available, so those with accounts can see what WOTC considers "legal" for this season.

No Marshall or Weaponmaster...
FWIW, the Character Builder now has the Dark Legacy of Evard/D&D Encounters Campaign Setting option available, so those with accounts can see what WOTC considers "legal" for this season.

No Marshall or Weaponmaster...

They would not be available since they are not HoS or Essentials.
  I've decided at my table I'm going to let people play the "Essentials like" classes from the dragon even  if they do not have the essentials stamp.  I do want the players to use only powers available in those articles and feats from "essentials" sources but would be willing to be flexible and listen to a player if he had an "important" reason to use something outside it.

Blackguards anemic??? To quote Inigo Montoya "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

-Alveric "And the sword that had visited Earth from so far away smote like the falling of thunderbolts; and green sparks rose from the armour, and crimson as sword met sword; and thick elvish blood moved slowly, from wide slits, down the cuirass; and Lirazel gazed in awe and wonder and love; and the combatants edged away fighting into the forest; and branches fell on them hacked off by their fight; and the runes in Alveric's far-travelled sword exulted, and roared at the elf-knight; until in the dark of the wood, amongst branches severed from disenchanted trees, with a blow like that of a thunderbolt riving an oak tree, Alveric slew him."

>.>
*Prints, Cut out and tapes onto shirt for the Encounter Session*
<.< 
Just curious, is anyone considering allowing the non-setting-specific themes for their Encounters table this season?
At "How you play the Game" in Syracuse NY we kept it open for character generation.  We had to as several players were not going to come back because of the restart to level 1 and the restrictions.  Most of our players are long time D&D Players and hate restrictions when a great background story would explain why the character was there in the first place.  If those players did not come back we would have had 1 table, if that.  As it is we also had 4 semi-new players who wanted to master 1 class before trying to learn something new.  They are 3 boys around 10ish and their mother.  It was just easier to let them play what they new.  Although we did have a few Assassins at the 2 tables we had tonight.
It's funny, I have never enforced the rules about character creation for Encounters.  I did point out to people that Season 1 characters should be built with the Living Forgotten Realms CCG in mind, and I discouraged Divine characters in Season 2 (being Dark Sun).  Most of the players have wanted to play in whatever is recently out, and this season has been no exception.  I had a Necromancy Mage, Vampire, Blackguard, Assassin, Sentinel and Slayer at my table, and the other table was nearly all Heroes of Shadow builds, too.  What I found best about the lack of Essentials-only rules was the way it showed all of the players there that there are several ways to make a character and have it fun.
What makes me sad - no more compiled magazines: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/27580349/Dungeon_and_Dragon_Magazine_PDFs&post_num=24#495423645