Dragon 398 - Rituals Index

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Very nice.  Thanks for putting this together.
Agreed! Going to come in handy. I enjoy having tables like this ready to use on my tablet at the play table.

These are my some of my favorite types of articles. Kinda wish we had gotten the rules compendium like this, but I was more than happy to pay for a colection of the mess we get from all the books. They should have a system where you can mark a book you have bought, and can then view more of these lists.
Awesome!  this is gonig to be heavily used by me.

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

This is fine but i wish more for enhancements to the compendium.  For instance the category of the ritual is already searchable but not on the filter list which should be an easy enhancement.  A more work intensive but useful enhancement would be to add the table short description to the compendium list output (make it the right most collumn so if we want it we can scroll or otherwise ignore it).  Those short descriptions would be nice in various searches for feats especially and in their case are often already written for the tables in the books.
i am linking to this thread as the official discussion thread.

@abencon: thank you for creating this thread.  for future reference, the proper formatting for such a thread is as follows:
_________

Dragon 398
Rituals Index

Compiled by Chris Sims

Finding the right ritual for the job can be tricky, unless you have this handy index.

Talk about this index here.

i agree with other posters above:  this is an immensely useful document.
Is it possible to add just an alphabetical listing to the index?  Like if I know the name of the ritual, but not it's type?

Overall, this is very nice.
Well, that just pointed out that the Aberrant Totemic Link ritual from Dragon 394's Totems of the Far Realm still hasn't been added to the Compendium. I suspect that's why it wasn't included in the Index. That's a bit disappointing.
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much. This is the kind of article that adds a lot of value to DDI.

Question for Steve Winters: Is there a way that this can be continually updated as new rituals are published?
Is it possible to add just an alphabetical listing to the index?  Like if I know the name of the ritual, but not it's type?

Ctrl + F is your friend

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much. This is the kind of article that adds a lot of value to DDI.

Question for Steve Winters: Is there a way that this can be continually updated as new rituals are published?

YES! +1

If this could become a living document that would be amazing.

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

Ctrl + F is your friend

I plan on printing these out when I play.
Fantastically useful article!

It would be great if the article got updated as new rituals were added.
It would also be great if this information were added to the Compendium, so the description appears in search results.

Also, it would be nice if we could filter rituals by Category.
I'll definitely be using this list to come up with a few fun rituals to present to my players.  They're not interested in shopping for a juggling tons of rituals, but coming up with plot-relavant problems that have solutions that can be solved by rituals is right up their alley.

That said, I wish the rituals could be broken down even more, into rarity.  Thus if I need to look for some Divination rituals, I can start be perusing the common ones, then move onto uncommon.  This would allow me to look beyond the more niche rituals, because they would likely be rare.
Well, rarity did work so well for items. Might as well make the changeover complete, eh?
Holy crap this is great. I wish I had this a long time ago.
oh yeah rarity and rituals great idea Undecided
Well, rarity did work so well for items. Might as well make the changeover complete, eh?

Well, for myself, I find the rarity system much better than the prior system - at least in theory. Patching it onto the existing system without providing the additional support it needed was a pretty big failure on WotC's part, but it works quite well in home games - and I imagine doing the same with rituals would also work. Provided one is willing to invest the time in classifying them into different categories.

Not to derail (but I do hate not getting the last word): I actually agree. It should have been done that way from the start though and not modified mid stream.  

Not to derail (but I do hate not getting the last word): I actually agree. It should have been done that way from the start though and not modified mid stream.  

-1.  Rarity can suck it.
...as new rituals are published?

Somehow I don't think that's going to be a problem...
This is a very handy Dragon article

Many thanks. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

-1.  Rarity can suck it.

-1 should have been an unearthed arcana article.
I think Rarity is great.  My group loves that their shopping list is sufficient to provide a few options, but not so long as to be a lot of work and break the setting assumptions of precious magic items.  So a short list of common items is perfect.  And rare items?  Who needs them?  We've already got artifacts, items sets, and all kinds of other things.

So that's all I'd want for rituals.  Figure out which ones are widely known so that the characters can purchase those if they wish.  And random things like the Pact of the Iron Ring should be rare so as not to clutter up the list.  For those not convinced, here's some examples to drive the point home:

Common:

• Magic Circle

• Brew Potion

• Enchant Magic Item

Rare:

• Pact of the Iron Ring

• Ritual of Twin Burnings

• Rite of Arkentaash

The bulk of rituals would stay uncommon, as they should be.  Wouldn't be that hard.

-1.  Rarity can suck it.

A compelling argument to be sure. I still contend that with a few tweaks, it would have been a tenable system. For instance, many of the issues I have with it would be solved by allowing pcs to craft uncommons so that way the continuum is: commons - bought, uncommons - crafted, rares - found.

And if the system had been there from the start, there would be plenty of items at every rarity and the power/complexity level could (conceivably) be more consistent than trying to shoe-horn older items into it that were developed using a different set of assumptions.

In the end, rarity could provide more options for different play styles and I'm not sure you can make a good argument against that.