04/27/2011 BoaB: "Porcelain Perfection"

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I like the main idea... I just might go for the non-budget build soon so I can get back into Standard.

In other news, can someone walk me through the Splinter Twin combo?  I also have a Splinter Twin deck tumbling around in my head, so including another combo in the deck would be a nice redundancy.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
I like the main idea... I just might go for the non-budget build soon so I can get back into Standard.

In other news, can someone walk me through the Splinter Twin combo?  I also have a Splinter Twin deck tumbling around in my head, so including another combo in the deck would be a nice redundancy.

the creature in this case causes an untap and leaves behind a hasty copy of itself, so you untap the enchanted creature and make another token, use that to untap the enchanted creature again.....ad nauseum until you have say 1000 tokens and attack FTW
Rather than Tumble Magnet why not use Dispatch instead
It fit the curve rather well don't you think?
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!

the creature in this case causes an untap and leaves behind a hasty copy of itself, so you untap the enchanted creature and make another token, use that to untap the enchanted creature again.....ad nauseum until you have say 1000 tokens and attack FTW

Gotcha... the copy coming in to play untaps the original.  I knew I had to be missing something silly like that.  Thanks.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)

Agreed.

I'm thinking of running 20 lands (9 Plains, 4 Arid Mesa, 4 Inkmoth Nexus, 3 Contested War Zone) and 3 Mox Opal. Arid Mesa is to provide red splash for Galvanic Blast in the sideboard, Inkmoth Nexus for additional threat, and 1 less CWZ because I don't want to draw multiple copies of this against aggro decks. My initial list also included Hovermyr but I guess you've convinced me about Procelain Legionnaire

Agreed.

I'm thinking of running 20 lands (9 Plains, 4 Arid Mesa, 4 Inkmoth Nexus, 3 Contested War Zone) and 3 Mox Opal. Arid Mesa is to provide red splash for Galvanic Blast in the sideboard, Inkmoth Nexus for additional threat, and 1 less CWZ because I don't want to draw multiple copies of this against aggro decks. My initial list also included Hovermyr but I guess you've convinced me about Procelain Legionnaire
Is it just me, or Torpor Orb would be nice in Legacy? I'm thinking about using it with Phyrexian Dreadnought...

Why does he say that FOIL Mental Missteps will be worth more and more over time?  Regular ones certainly will, but foil cards tend to curl over time, I would think this would make them a poor long-term investment.

(PS, if you like Mental Misstep's flavor text...you're welcome.)

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi

"I've hit countless walls when deck building because I was unable to find another good two-drop for a particular deck. Porcelain Legionnaire affords every deck the option of a very powerful aggressive two-drop."

Dear GOD, man...that is INSANE.

I have mixed feelings about this.  I like the idea that I can build decks with less stress...but auto-includes usually don't go over too well...

Hm.

I like the deck, exactly what I was hoping for Good thing there's still some sort of 'preview week'; reading all the cards at once is just ugly.

Anyway, for the non-budget version, I think Phyrexian Revoker is even better than you think. Especially when expecting a lot of Splinter Twin - Deceiver Exarch combo, it's great; You can simply stop that combo until the find a way to handle revoker. Just name the Exarch and they can't make copies anymore.

"squadron hawk can't block Porcelain Legionnaire profitably, even when it has a Sword in its talons”

Sword of war and peace says hi, fairly sure the porcelain legionnaire is still white.

But otherwise this is pretty bad, this two drop is so strong and can play in any colour. RDW will use this, and they have more than enough tools already.

Also, printing a card that allows the splinter twin combo is dumb.

Deceiver Exarch costs 3, and splinter twin costs 4, so your opponent can swing at you for infinite damage before you even have turn 4. If this deck becomes commonplace any opening without duress/IoK or spot removal has to be mulliganed.

As if that wasn’t bonkers enough lets give the exarch flash so it evades all sorcery speed removal, and don’t forget mental misstep can counter any 1 cmc removal for free. When I first read the column I thought he was going over the top about this combo, but the more I think about it, the more broken it seems. I think it may also see play in extended where the shards mana base will allow a turn 1 duress/IoK to protect the combo.

Turn 1 preordain, Turn 2 spellskite, turn 3 (EoT) deciever exarch, t4 splinter twin. in response to your doom blade/naturalize redirect to spellskite, make 1,000,000 tokens with haste, swing, game 2?

And it's cheap so I can expect it to come across it in the casual room on mtgo, so 25% tier 1 goblins, 25% valakut, 25% splinter twin and only 25% decent casual games.

With the exarch having toughness of 4 red decks will just fold to this every time it gets the right draw.

It shouldn’t be possible to pull off infinite combos in standard on turn 4, with the rise of stupid luck based decks that win so quick and the rising cost of standard I wonder if it's time to give up on constructed and just play limited.

maybe that's what they want.

As someone who loves combo, the Exarch/SPlinter twin might make me play standard again.  It's fast enough to win early and completely dodges sorcery speed removal.  It also should be occuring on the turn your opponent taps out for his Jace the Mind Sculptor.  Now I just need a good game 2 plan for sideboarding because this seems easy to hate.  Though I'm assuming this good also just shift into a red burn deck as well lol.
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
I run a tempered steel/quest deck at the moment and love all the attention that's been shown to the archtypes in BOAB. I disagree on one point though: Hex Parasite is not underrated. People already understand and appreciate its value, and its been generating a lot of interest. I think that with the inclusion of it, as well as the Porcelain Legionnaire, tempered steel decks will be in a great position following rotation of Zendikar block. If you look at Scars block events, tempered steel decks routinely win. The main threats following rotation that are a known are the titans. I was thinking that Cathedral Membrane might be a good SB card against them. Without Valakut and with a Tempered Steel in play, only Frost Titan will be able to avoid it.
Wow, he's really proud that he discovered that Splinter Twin combo, isn't he?
The Pony Co. Because none of us are as loving as all of us.
Contact info
In case contacting me over the forums is not possible for some reason or another, my email is morten.c.k.olsen@gmail.com. Please state who you are, because I will most likely end up ignoring people that I don't know at least somewhat.
Alwaaaaays, I wanna be with you!
56287226 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
You clearly overestimate my cognitive skills by assuming that I could have accumulated that knowledge independently.
Okay, I'll be sure not to make that kind of assumption in the future. Now, if you'd like to go back to the main Magic General 'forum' page (that's the one that lists all the different 'discussion threads' that people have 'posted') from this page, just press the up-arrow key on your keyboard until you reach the top of the page, then click the link that says "Magic General"--it should be in fairly small font, just above the buttons labeled "Post Reply" and "Subscribe" and the box labeled "Jump Menu", but below the blue link labeled "Preferences". It'll be in a line with a number of other small-font links with different names. From the 'forum' page you will be able to select another 'thread' to view; 'threads' that people have 'posted' to since you last looked at them will have their names listed in bold font and have the number of unread replies listed just to the right of the name. If you click that unread replies number, it will take you right to the last reply you viewed in the 'thread' so that you can continue reading all the new replies from there. To get back to the main Magic General 'forum' page, just repeat the process from the previous paragraph--don't worry if you're on a different page, all 'thread' pages will have the same basic layout, so it should work exactly the same on any page in the Magic General 'forum'.\ And remember, if you accidentally click on the wrong link and find yourself on a page you're not familiar with, there's no need to panic; you can always press the 'back' button in your browser to go back to whatever you were looking at before. It should be on the left-hand side near the top of the screen, just below the menu bar, and will probably have a picture of some kind of arrow pointing to the left on it. Hope that helps!
56957928 wrote:
56914748 wrote:
The explanation given was that since land cards represent mystical bonds to far-off places rather than actual tangible things like creatures and other permanents, a person might have more than one memory of an area, or different mages could forge a bond to different parts of a place, etc. and that simply being a unique location doesn't necessarily mean that a land card has to be legendary.
"I remember my days as a schoolboy at the Tolarian Academy..." "Really? I went there too-" "Wait don't- Well ****, there goes my childhood."
56816728 wrote:
I was clearly wrong about Dragon_Whelp, he clearly is a jerk.
57471038 wrote:
Allow me to extrapolate—regular game play, as defined by WotC, is tournament play. As such, Casual, EDH, Planechase, and all that other stuff is irregular Magic; if Magic at all. So the next time someone says Competitive Constructed decks are not the only decks that count in Constructed (Casual Constructed), then I can gleefully point to the definition set forth by WotC and say that Competitive Constructed is in deed the only ones that count, and that they are playing some irregular form of Magic.
56792158 wrote:
Dragon, just don't argue with Hovercraft. He's his own Legacy metagame.
57471038 wrote:
One with Nothing is the third iteration in an attempt to make Black Lotus fair: Black Lotus: That's too good, we need to tone it down. Lion's Eye Diamond: Dammit, players are still using it in a very broken manner! One with Nothing: Alright! We got it now.
Twin2;15476002 wrote:
What happened to the really fun cards? Well you see a long long time ago the earth was ruled by dinosaurs. They were big so not a lot of people went around hassling them. Then a giant meteorite struck the earth, good bye dinosaurs. But what if the dinosaurs weren't all destroyed? What if the impact of that meteorite created a parallel dimension where the dinosaurs continue to thrive and evolve into intelligent vicious aggressive beings? What if they found a way back? ....wait that's not what happened to the fun cards that's the intro to the mario brothers movie. Get those two confused all the time, my bad.
56981618 wrote:
It's a folllow-up on the Priceless Treasures, Deadly Perils idea. See, what happened was, you got the packs that the Eldrazi had already gotten to--the had annihilated everything but the land itself. In fall, expect to open some packs and find cards covered in goopy, black oil. It's all about the marketing angle, people.
I like the deck today.  It seems pretty good and has an answer to Creeping Corrosion.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I agree that Dispatch needs to be in this deck, especially with Deceiver Exarch floating around out there.  Turn 3 metalcraft is a given.
I like the deck today.  It seems pretty good and has an answer to Creeping Corrosion.

It does?
Wow, he's really proud that he discovered that Splinter Twin combo, isn't he?

Whatever would we do without him and his superb creativity!

At least now when he copies others decks to make them slightly more budget and claim them AS budget he lists the original list and the name of the person who made it.

Actually thinking about his articles, has he ever even once made his OWN deck idea without "using somebody elses list"? O.o

"I've hit countless walls when deck building because I was unable to find another good two-drop for a particular deck. Porcelain Legionnaire affords every deck the option of a very powerful aggressive two-drop."

Dear GOD, man...that is INSANE.

I have mixed feelings about this.  I like the idea that I can build decks with less stress...but auto-includes usually don't go over too well...

Hm.

at least its a common...otoh a field of everyone playing this on t2 will be fun for burn decks. You cracked a fetch? you lost life to play a creature? what youre down to 17 already an' we just started....bwahahahha!
I like!  I like the Tempered Steel deck before and it really just got better.  Good deck. 
at least its a common...otoh a field of everyone playing this on t2 will be fun for burn decks. You cracked a fetch? you lost life to play a creature? what youre down to 17 already an' we just started....bwahahahha!

oh you made a porcelain lightning conductor on turn 2? play mountain, searing blaze.Cool

On the other hand burn decks have trouble dealing with splinter twin and kor firewalker

Theres been significant work going on in the forums on this deck archetype here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Our decks are still better than Lunen's.

It does?

I was looking at the wrong deck.  I was looking at the original that was part blue.  Splashing blue would be a good option for the deck so that it can answer Creeping Corrosion and other cards.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

It's exactly the same as the Splinter Twin / Pestermite combo, but with Deceiver Exarch instead of Pestermite.
I really think that any list that tries to be super explosive will end up like Kuldotha Red: it might work for a little bit, but it's not consistent enough and relatively easy to hate out (Kuldotha Red completely died with the printing of Marrow Shards IMO).

However, I think that a Tempered Steel deck that has a curve more similar to traditional RDW could be very powerful. I'm working on a rainbow list atm. 
Stop using "IMO" in sentences that aren't opinion. If you don't think a deck will ever be tier 1, that's great - but it's not an opinion. It's a prediction of the future. I identify as neither male nor female. You may refer to me with either gender pronoun or the singular they, whichever suits you best. ^_^ Re: Dismember
97543238 wrote:
Everybody knows that having your awesome creatures killed before they can do anything is frustrating, but the Red mage in me doesn't seem to understand why it's so bad when his creatures spontaneously combust into Flame Javelins and make his opponent discard something at the same time.
Currently Working On: Self-Mill (Standard)

oh you made a porcelain lightning conductor on turn 2? play mountain, searing blaze.

On the other hand burn decks have trouble dealing with splinter twin and kor firewalker

searing blaze....yeah i would cry to be on the wrong end of this + another fetch / porcelain guy in the hand and no white mana anywhere.
Between forked bolt, arc trail, searing blaze, etc. I wouldn't want to put too much of my faith in a 1-toughness creature these days.

Also, it's stopped by wall of omens. 
I've always like the Pestermite/Splinter Twin deck... winning turn 4 is always nice. It's cool to see it come back in standard with Deceiver Exarch, especially since it takes more than a Lightning Bolt to stop it (although Mana Leak and Go For The Throat will do the trick).
I repeat:

Why does he say that FOIL Mental Missteps will be worth more and more over time?  Regular ones certainly will, but foil cards tend to curl over time, I would think this would make them a poor long-term investment.

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi