04/26/2011 SF: "Heart in a Cage"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I notice that EDH decks now have a template on the site that displays the commander seperately.

Why do I get the feeling that this is the update that broke all the Gatherer links? 
YES!  One of the most exiting cards of the set.  Wake was always the off color card I was most jealous of.  Your commnader deck looks sweet but Heirophats seem underwhelming.  Your Grand architect list is garbage, what are you doing running fabricate over Treasurre Mage?!?
Aw, I was hoping you'd have 'Barely Legal' as a header.

The more I look at the Metamorph, the more I like him way more than other 'shifters.
I'm going to be assinine in my comment....but caged sun is a Mirran card....suck it phyrexia! And to go in an entirely diferent direction/semi thread jacking, That molten artifact dragon in the new set looks helluva cool, Moltensteel is my new hero.
Aw, I was hoping you'd have 'Barely Legal' as a header.

You sound so angry, just calm down. You found me.
YES!  One of the most exiting cards of the set.  Wake was always the off color card I was most jealous of.  Your commnader deck looks sweet but Heirophats seem underwhelming.  Your Grand architect list is garbage, what are you doing running fabricate over Treasurre Mage?!?

Treasure Mage can't search for Masticores.  However, with the number of 6+ cost artifacts in the deck, Treasure Mage might be a better choice since it also adds mana with Grand Architect along with searching.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the sub-theme. Laughing
Caged Sun with Grand Architect is a bit of a bombo. Caged Sun only boosts mana from lands, not the creature-mana that the Architect provides. I mean, they both like the same kind of cards - big artifacts - but it's a pity they don't work together so well.
Caged Sun with Grand Architect is a bit of a bombo. Caged Sun only boosts mana from lands, not the creature-mana that the Architect provides. I mean, they both like the same kind of cards - big artifacts - but it's a pity they don't work together so well.

It's only a bombo if you think you can use it like that.  It actually is a pretty good synergy.  You use the architect to power out the Caged Sun, choosing blue (the Sun thus puts the Architect outside of bolt range, but that's just gravy).  Now you have twice the blue mana to throw around for turning all your lovely infectious artifact creatures into blue creatures, who by the way now get a +2/+2 bonus because both the Architect and the Caged Sun buff your blue creatures.

...it's really quite terrifying:

T1:  Island, Enclave Cryptologist
T2:  Inkmoth Nexus, Steel Overseer
T3:  Island, Grand Architect, tap Architect and Cryptologist for Everflowing Chalice with two charge counters
T4:  Island, tap the Architect, Enclave Cryptologist, and Everflowing Chalice to cast Caged Sun.  You now have 6 blue mana and 1 generic mana available to you...Lets drop a Consecrated Sphinx just for fun.  @ opponents EOT activate nexus, activate overseer.
T5:  Island, tap all 3 blue creatures, the chalice, and 4 islands for Blightsteel Colossus, @ opponent's EOT activate nexus, activate overseer
T6:  Corrupted Conscience an opponent's creature, activate nexus, activate overseer, turn nexus and colossus blue, attack with your 15/15 infectious, trampling, indestructible robot and your 6/6 infectious, flying land.

or maybe you prefer:

T1:  Inkmoth Nexus
T2:  Island, Steel Overseer
T3:  Island, activate Nexus, activate Overseer, swing for 2 poison
T4:  Island, Grand Architect, Enclave Cryptologist, tap Architect and Cryptologist for Everflowing Chalice with two charge counters, tap chalice to activate nexus, activate Overseer, swing for 3 more poison.
T5:  Island, tap architect, cryptologist, and chalice for Caged Sun, you now have 8 blue mana and 1 generic mana available to you.  Cast Corrupted Conscience on a flyer the opponent controls by now, activate Nexus, activate Overseer, turn nexus blue, swing for 6 more poison in the air.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I just want to know why the "Mirrodin" deck was made as a Legacy deck. That just is disappointing for me.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
I just want to know why the "Mirrodin" deck was made as a Legacy deck.

umm... wider card selection?

It's cool how when two people look at a card, they both think "gee, this would be perfect for my favourite deck" but they are completely different decks.

Adam's first thought is his Rhys the Reedeemed Commander deck, and my first thought is that it ramps up the speed on my KCI deck, since each on color artifact land now earns me 4 mana instead of 3. (tap, cage, KCI sacrifice).
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
I just want to know why the "Mirrodin" deck was made as a Legacy deck.

umm... wider card selection?

The original Mirrodin block is only legal in Legacy. Also, I kinda love Soldevi Excavations too much (but it can tap for three when Caged Sun is out).
Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs
Sign In to post comments