Strange backstories

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is just a thread for people to post their strangest, most inventive back stories for their characters.
To get this started I'll give two examples, both of which I came up with friends.

1: The exact opposite of the stereotypical barbarian, a dual wielding barbarian who actually got his "rages" from smoking "peace-weed." Was usually so stoned during battle, that he had no idea what was going on.

2. Two characters, loosely based on a webcomic. My friend's was a goblin paladin of Avandra who was convinced that he was a human that had been cursed with his form. He traveled the world spreading the news of civilization. Mine was a kobold wizard raised by dwarves from birth, all the time believing he was one. Worshiping Moradin, he received a unpleasant shock when he left for adventure. When the two met up, to combat potential misunderstandings, they "combined" (the wizard sat on top the paladin and put a really big cloak on) to become Paenus the Gear of War. Their symbol was a Hammer (Moradin) superimposed over a Gear (Setting specific symbol of Avandra). The party was rather surprised when they found out...in the third session.
This is just a thread for people to post their strangest, most inventive back stories for their characters.
To get this started I'll give two examples, both of which I came up with friends.

1: The exact opposite of the stereotypical barbarian, a dual wielding barbarian who actually got his "rages" from smoking "peace-weed." Was usually so stoned during battle, that he had no idea what was going on.

2. Two characters, loosely based on a webcomic. My friend's was a goblin paladin of Avandra who was convinced that he was a human that had been cursed with his form. He traveled the world spreading the news of civilization. Mine was a kobold wizard raised by dwarves from birth, all the time believing he was one. Worshiping Moradin, he received a unpleasant shock when he left for adventure. When the two met up, to combat potential misunderstandings, they "combined" (the wizard sat on top the paladin and put a really big cloak on) to become Paenus the Gear of War. Their symbol was a Hammer (Moradin) superimposed over a Gear (Setting specific symbol of Avandra). The party was rather surprised when they found out...in the third session.

An excellent idea for a thread Shiningwolf88, and some very nice examples (i wouldnt mind my own version of 2). May I add one (warning silly alert):

(nWoD game not DND) - Turkish amnesiac pirate working for a railroad company in Western America in 1870s: I know I shouldnt even play characters like this, i get killed by my comrades enough.

I know it isnt a great idea, i just wanted to add to what looks like an awesome thread. :0

FK 

(nWoD game not DND) - Turkish amnesiac pirate working for a railroad company in Western America in 1870s: I know I shouldnt even play characters like this, i get killed by my comrades enough.

I know it isnt a great idea, i just wanted to add to what looks like an awesome thread. :0

FK

nWoD=?? Not familiar with this acronym

Great idea.  Race [Any] whom is an amnesiac pirate working for a road-building project in the frontier of any setting.  First thing that came to mind.

WoD usually stands for World of Darkness I believe.

Unfortunately I don't have much to add right now. I'm too sleepy to remember anything cool Frown 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.

nWOD = New World of Darkness

not as good as some of the other ones mentioned but me and a friend are in the process of making characters for our new saturday campaign- a half orc and half elf who are half brothers.

When inevitably questioned about this we've agreed to simply state "mother was a formidable woman".
Time for some thrilling heroics....
not as good as some of the other ones mentioned but me and a friend are in the process of making characters for our new saturday campaign- a half orc and half elf who are half brothers.

That...actually sounds really fun. I almost want to steal it from you.

And just because here is another one I did.
Changeling Paladin of Ao, in Forgotten Realms. During a massive ritual by his order that got interrupted by a Orc raiding party, his memories and body were separated. I played as the body with all the shape changing powers and no memories, with his memories going into and animating his now dead friends body.

Harrow, eladrin feylock

Harrow didn't really sign a Pact, per se.
Harrow is his Pact.
And technically his own Patron, as well.

An eladrin raised by humans who had no idea of his fey heritage, the man who would become Harrow was shunned by the folk of his town for his strange appearance. With no knowledge of his true race, Harrow was slowly driven mad by visions of the Feywild as a child, and by teleporting through it when his fey step ability began to develop. He often found himself vanishing in response to stress or suddenly finding himself in a place he was just thinking about, and would regularly scare others by showing up behind them without warning.
A borderline psychotic, he was unable to deal with the day-to-day details of earning a living in his small community and lived in a ramshackle hut on the edge of town. Many rumors were whispered about him, including the possibility that he was possessed by demons.
Eventually leaving his village to become a wandering madman, Harrow was always one step ahead of the consequences of the last time he lost his temper or his mind.

One day, in a foul mood after wildly attacking a drunkard who'd spilled ale on him and being thrown out of yet another tavern for his outburst, Harrow was travelling through a forest on his way to the next town when a small faerie flew up to him and introduced herself.
She introduced herself as Alma(something)dorabella(something,something)-Hannabee-Athella(something)archemediahermesia-hera...something something....
Her name was one hundred and thirty seven syllables long.

By the time that "Alma" (or "that damned mosquito", as Harrow calls her) had finished reciting her whole name...
and asking him in a very perky and chipper voice why he wasn't smiling (because everybody knows that smiling makes everything better) and happy...
Harrow was so far into a teeth-gnashing, about-to-bleed-from-the-eyes black rage...

That he grabbed her out of the air and ATE her. 

Alma, being an immortal fey, didn't exactly die - she's now inside Harrow, who drains off her ever-renewing magic to power his abilities.
Being immortal, but digested and dispersed throughout Harrow's body, Alma's body regrew into a new form within him, forming something almost like a second central nervous system.
She's now just as dependent on Harrow's lifeforce as he is.
So they now exist as a symbiotic being, Harrow unable to survive the loss of Alma's power, Alma unable to exist in the real world without Harrow's physical form.

Alma, previously an obliviously happy, cheerful, and annoyingly outgoing fey, has been driven mind-rippingly insane by the whole process, and now constantly projects her insane ravings, emotional outbursts, and scattered thoughts into Harrow's mind like a "little voice in the back of his head" on steroids...

Harrow had always been rather dark and nasty, and one more messed-up voice in his head didn't improve anything. He and Alma have a very co-dependent and dysfunctional relationship, and he has a tendency to fall into screaming, foaming fits, rolling on the ground and babbling in multiple voices while the two of them argue in his mind.

Harrow is, essentially, his own pact patron, lol...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

That he grabbed her out of the air and ATE her. 

I think I might have had a simular response.

Great story for a madman Warlock. I wish I had a group that appreciated a good background story. Unfortunately, mine are often less than unique. I will throw one at you anyway.

Shadaar: Dragonborn Hybrid Barbarian/Sorcerer

Shadaar has seen too much in her life. Death, horrors and pain plagued her youth. Sold into slavery, not knowing her parents, Shadaar struggled to simply stay alive. The struggle suddenly got easier one evening. She calls it her awakening.

A Necromancer by the name of Nil worked among the dead and the living. The living he found weak and displayed his distaste often by deadening the flesh of his slaves. At his touch, skin would fold and wrinkle. Within days, the flesh would rot and fester. This brought him great pleasure.

Shadaar was well liked by her master but was not devoid of the deadened flesh. She quickly learned to burn the tainted flesh until the flames were no longer painful. Scars blotch her scaly skin. In Nil's manor, Shadaar was now the keeper of artifacts and other valuables; she as incredibly meticulous.

One night Nil brought a skull into the artifact chamber and handed it nonchalantly to Shadaar. Upon touching her hands to the skull, a fierce roar burst out from the skull. Nil and Shadaar were both thrown to the ground but Nil recovered quickly. Spirits swarmed about the room and then crashed into Shadaar's convulsing chest. Nil immediately folowed the spirits with a powerful blast of cold energy trying to kill her and the spirits. Shadaar's spasms stopped as the cold energy filled her. A rage and power unknown to her pulsed in her veins and then suddenly exploded. Flames consumed everything around her. Anger flowed as she stood up. Shadaar's senses peaked. She found herself grasping the nearest weapon, a large sword, with innate skill. Voices shouted praise and within the flames bodies of well worn warriors held their weapons high.

Slowly her vision returned to all the destruction around her. The room still burned fiercely. She ran without looking back and made her way to the front entrance, paused, and then continued toward the mountains. Only when she could no longer hear the flames roaring behind her did she turn around. The manor was ash and flame surrounded by snow.No one was around the demolished building. She looked down at her hands and then held her chest. Her mind thought of the hardship she once suffered under Nil. She was unsure if he was dead but she didn't care. Reflecting on the faces she saw in the flames made her smile.

Taking a deep breath, letting the cold air fill her, Shadaar continued forward to something new and exciting. Freedom.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

*note* im not 100% good with lore so forgive me if im off a bit but i wrote this for a goliath paladin of pelor. sorry for the length i might have gotten carried away.

One day a group of younger boys went out and found a pile of bones and brought them back to the village to play with these boys unknowingly stole from a half orc necromancer who was out getting more skeletons and other components to finish his research on developing a super minion. The half orc came back and was very upset and could see big foot prints on the ground leaving his campsite so he decided to follow them this lead him to the village of the tribe. He casted a invisibility spell and walked into the village and to his amazement found 100s of bones and was awestruck to see these “dimwitted” giants playing games with what he thought where precious bones. But he decided to watch anyways.

The game was only one quarter in and he could tell the skulls team leader Kyrox was defiantly the largest one on the field and was amazed at how far he could leap and nimble his landings where. Kyrox had leaped the farther side of the chasm clearing 17 feet and slamming 2 other opponents on the ground and stole the femur and used the back of one of the know kneeling teammates to get launched the full 25 feet and rolled into the endzone. Kyrox picked up the skull that one of the boys took and threw it off the mountain with a cheer of victory. The necromancer was raging with anger and left for the night to plot against the village.

That night the elders and other adults drank and partied the night away, the younger ones where put to bed for they were not welcome to the elders “parties” Kyrox went to bed and was tired from the days events.

The half orc started praying to his god Nerull, this necromancer’s prayers where heard and the sly grew darker and the moon seemed to disappear and then an angel appeared bestowing the necromancer with a potion that would turn these giants into zombies and ghouls. The necromancer then recasted his invisibility and ran back to the village. He noticed that the giants where drinking wildly leaving the perfect opportunity to poison the kegs. The necromancer then hid in the corner to watch the evil deeds unfold and began to drool with desire for the left over bones.

The first one to drink the poison was a very attractive female with long brown hair and curves not seen normally by these giants this was Kyrox’s mother she started to feel ill when Kyrox’s father ran over to here to see why she was vomiting violently as he leaned down she lunged at him and bit a soft spot under is right bicep and blood started pooring out of him as he yelled loudly. Within seconds he was charging the grounp and drunks and pounced on the town leader ripping his arm off and vomiting on him. The mother also charged and attacked the drunks. Before 3 min had elapsed the adults were either turned or dead, the massive zombies grew hungry even after the feast of flesh they just had so they turned to the children.

Kyrox had awoken and witnessed the whole event and had his fathers sword in his hands and was waiting at the door. His mother walked in first and Kyrox stuck her in the back of the neck beheading his mother. Blood filled the small tent. His father then followed after tripping on the corpse on the ground struggled to get up Kyrox took full advantage and stabbed the sword straight through his father’s skull. This was done silently and skillfully for an untrained teenager. Kyrox looked out to see that the other children were not so lucky but he noticed the half orc going through the bodies he instantly assumed this was the orcs doing taking no time to think he charged the half orc, the half orc to occupied with his bones did not take notice to the fact he was about to be attacked. Kyrox slams his shoulder into the necromancer picking him up and running with the orc and jumps off the cliff… Kyrox then blacked out… the last sound he heard was the screams of the necromancer.

A burst of light and a golden winged angel appeared catching Kyrox and bringing him to the ground. Then through his dream the angel communicated to Kyrox and told him what had happened and that he was a angel of pelor, he asked Kyrox if he wanted to fulfill the prophecy.
A friend of mine in one of my campaigns came up with what may be the greatest backstory I've ever heard. An excerpt:

Herman the Lesser, a shifter barbarian in Eberron, was brought into Forest Court by the druids of the Eldeen Reaches shortly after his infamous quote "C'mon guys, unicorns aren't real" led to him murdering a unicorn. He dismissed his Forest Attorney, represented himself, and pleaded Not Guilty on the basis that unicorns weren't real. After being convicted, he petitioned to be granted the chance to give a final statement, which he was. His final statement was to burn down the forest. He escaped unharmed.

It's worth saying also that he's named "Herman the Lesser" after his father, "Herman the Greater", who according to him "just went to buy smokes" and "will be right back". 

---

I once created a party for a one-shot game wherein every character had a ridiculous backstory:

Gnome Illusionist: Was teased at Fey High School for being shorter than all the Eladrin. As Fey High School is 100 years long, he is effectively a psychopath at this point.
Human Rogue: Once worked as a knife-thrower at a circus, until he accidentally killed a clown in front of a crowd of children.
Half-elf Cleric: Worked as a librarian at a temple, until bullywugs attacked and killed everyone. She then taught herself how to fight from harlequin romance novels (it was a very comprehensive library).
Dwarf Fighter: Former accountant.

Dwarf Fighter: Former accountant.

I just about died with laughter at the simplicity and hilarity of this statement.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

I have a swordsman who nobody knows his background because he has long and or short term memory loss and an attention span that lasts 32 seconds

I have a swordsman who nobody knows his background because he has long and or short term memory loss and an attention span that lasts 32 seconds

This reminds me of a character thats playing in the game I'm just starting up.

Genasi swordmage with split personalities. He switches between them whenever he hears this kinda cosmic bell. One personality is calm, analytical, and all together emotionless (think spock) and plays as a shielding sword mage(Cinder soul). His other half is emotional, violent, and headstrong, and plays as a assalting swordmage(Storm soul). He has no memories of times spent in the opposing personality, which leads to him having gaps as little as a minute to as great as a couple of weeks in his memory.

As the dm, I was so intrigued by the idea that I ok'ed him playing essentially two different characters, especially since I have complete controll of the "cosmic bell."
This is a great thread. My favorite is easily Herman the Lesser.

I'd say my strangest is a tiefling Warlord who believed he was an archdevil that had been "leveled down" by Asmodeus into a mere mortal. At one point he rescued a goblin from being eaten by his tribe. The DM had this goblin become a henchman, who came to worship the tiefling...and somehow became a Paladin by doing so.
This thread is fantastic!

I have been developing a darksun character.

Willdrik (human) grew up in Draj with few "real friends" as his mother referred to them as. Little Will spent more time conversign and playing with his "imaginary friend," who infact was a spirit from a world long gone. Will trusted his friend deeply and cared little for the the social conventions of the city-state he grew up in. One night his friend told him that if he wanted to see better he should cut out his eye, and he did. This ended up being a ritual granting him a sort of fourthsight into the spirit realm, and driving his parents to the point of hiring a corrupt city official to abandon him in the desert far far away from home.

He now wanders the deserts, and his spirit companion refers to him as "the will of the wastes"

He can not answer anyone he meets without first confiding in his companion, who is only willing to reveal itself to true believers of Will's "imaginary friend"

Non-believers are often subject to Will's misguided advice to cause embarassing situations or inflict unnessecary bodily harm.
Not entirely original, as I stole the idea from Mass Effect 2 in a way.

He is a Warforged warlock, named Legion (like I said, not entirely original), he in fact contains the souls of thousands of warforged who "died" in a battle a decade ago. His power comes from their souls rather than a pact with a demonic being, and his personality and tactics constantly change due to his thousands of personalities.
I had worked out a background for a human fighter where the character was basically a viking.  Previously he was involved in a lot of raiding and all that good viking like behavior.  At some point he had a crisis of conscience and sought out a priest of Pelor to confess all of his wrongs.  Problem was he was still basically the same guy and kept doing all the viking stuff.  

Eventually he realized it was a pain to keep finding someone to confess to so he kidnapped a priest of pelor and kept him in a handy haversack.  Basically on demand confession.  At first the priest tried to escape but finally he realized that if he stayed he could stop a lot of the evil this guy was doing.

A half orc paladin raised by dwarths now acting as a missionary is my current charecter.

I have a dwaven cleric who is claustrophobic when sober.  As a result of that he spent most of his time drunk, even by dwarven standards.  The only problem with this is he likes to wander when he’s drunk, and one day he wakes up Outside, near a cove used by pirates.  He decided he must have been abandoned by his gods, so he prayed that he would become a devout cleric of whomever saved him.  It was at that moment he saw a pirate ship come into the harbor.  Despite not knowing what to do with him, the pirates decided having a priest would lend them some legitimacy, and he joined their crew. 

That is the background story of my Claustrophobic Dwarven Pirate, who is a priest of Selune.

Not sure if someone mentioned this, but it used to be in DnD (not sure if it's still the case) that a strange back story was one where nothing peculiar or odd happened in a character's life Tongue out

I once had a half-dragon character that was raised by orcs, he turned out pretty nasty and violent. He ended up killing the tribe and moved on, was befriended by a half-fiend and together they went on a killing spree for a while until he met with a priest that cast an atonement (not sure if this was the spell, it's the one which gives you the chance to re-think your alignment (mechanically speaking, fluff-wise I can't remember the explanation off the top of my head)) spell on him. The half-dragon started a life of being good and the half-fiend became a recurring nemesis for the party.

Had a very short-lived human transformed into half-dragon sorceror (older edition) that was supposed to belong to the harpell family from FR (they were a semi-crazy mage clan). He had a philosophy of disarming/finding traps by way of sending in a summoned horse and casting AoE spells while allies were in the way. He got himself and his party killed in the first session, turns out you may want stand far back when when switching on traps if your DM resorts to simple explosive traps.

Had a dwarf that switched bodies with a young farmhand accidentally due to some strange magical item. The farmhand struggles badly at attempting to seem dwarven. He speaks like a stereotypical pirate thinking that's how dwarves speak and is very awkward when forced to interact with his group who know nothing about his condition.
Sign In to post comments