Steading of the Iron King - Off the grid

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
As previously discussed in this forum, SotIK is set up as a string of combat encounters and is very linear.  I want to give my players more flexibility to sneak around and attempt to come in from the back or side of some of the encounter maps.

Using the maps, I realize that many of the subterranean levels have side passages that are not developed.  Also, level 2 does not connect directly to level 3 with the spiral ramp down.

I am photoshopping the adventure maps down and placing them on an 11x17 grid sheet with 1/4" grid equal to 5'.  There will be lots of empty grid around for me to develop surrounding and possibly connecting areas.   I will make this available for everyone.

I am curious though if anyone else developed the undeveloped offshoot areas.  I would love to hear what you and your players did in the "off the grid" areas.
- For the first two encounters, I grabbed (from Google maps) an overhead view of a nearby (real life) industrial complex and had the players plan their approach using that.
- I never mapped the connections between the lower sections... but I like the idea.
- When one of the players pulled a mini-tank omega card, I described the party passing a deserted  vehicle bay.
- During the final encounter, I unfolded the map so that it also included the adjoining 'laser' room. I had the BBEG later escape through that room.
Attached are the maps inserted on a clean grid for GMs to sketch in their own tunnels on the undefined side tunnels.  I am working with the assumption that the path provided in the adventure to the final room is the most direct.  I plan on adding some back exits and other routes.  I doubt that the Iron King and his minions take the spiral ramp down facing the challenges of falling and the beta moss.

Level 1
redkobold.com/albums/gamma-world-miniatu... 

Level 2

Level 3

I will also post my additions one I design and key them out.  I thought these blanks would be useful to others GMs out there.

Enjoy
Attached are the maps inserted on a clean grid for GMs to sketch in their own tunnels on the undefined side tunnels.  I am working with the assumption that the path provided in the adventure to the final room is the most direct.  I plan on adding some back exits and other routes.  I doubt that the Iron King and his minions take the spiral ramp down facing the challenges of falling and the beta moss.

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

I will also post my additions one I design and key them out.  I thought these blanks would be useful to others GMs out there.

Enjoy

i espect that some maps from LoG would work nicely as expansions for those maps.