Another Stupid 100-Card Deck: Dreams/Fruition

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
In the spirit of the "Century of Good Elf" deck, this is another 100-card abomination against deckbuilding that is currently lurking in the back of my deckboxes. It's a 100-card pile that was thrown together ages ago to abuse Megrim and Forced Fruition. As better cards were acquired, they were thrown onto the pile.
It's now got a full playset of Underworld Dreams, and is much, much better for the experience, but needs a tidy so that it has some defense to hide behind. So I'm thinking of adding my currently unloved playset of Sunken Hope and going the whole hog.
So, yes, it's 100 cards. Forgive me.
Without further ado...

Underworld Headache v2.0
The Enchantments - 22
4 Megrim (killer with Forced Fruition out)
4 Underworld Dreams (the deck's main wincon)
4 Forced Fruition (finishes the game with Dreams or Megrim out)
3 Painful Quandary (stalls effectively, should draw heat away from Dreams/Fruition)
2 Copy Enchantment (copies the best enchantment we have out already)
4 Sunken Hope (keeps the field clean, works with the critter toolbox)
1 Dissipation Field (because Tich recommends it, and I had a singleton in here already!)

The Setup and Control Spells - 18
4 Recoil (stalls, good with Megrim)
3 Perplex (a hard counter with Megrim out, transmutes for half the deck)
4 Countersquall (cheap, effective counter)
2 Windfall (card draw, can be transmuted for, brutal with Megrim)
2 Diabolic Tutor (The necessary tutorage, along with our transmutables)
1 Crystal Ball (Library manipulation)
1 Jace Beleren (Too damned good to leave out of a deck like this)
1 Capsize (Had multiples in the original build. One stays in because it's a classic.)

The Creature Toolbox - 20
1 Indentured Djinn (cheap, and nasty next to Dreams)
2 Bone Shredder (can transmute for it, broken removal combo with Sunken Hope)
2 Liliana's Specter (broken with Sunken Hope and Megrim, can be transmuted for)
3 Man-o'-War (classic bouncer, can be transmuted for)
1 Djinn of Wishes (Good card draw, good flier, excellent next to Hope)
1 Sphinx of Lost Truths (As per Djinn of Wishes)
3 Drift of Phantasms (Good flying defense, transmutes for half the deck)
2 Wall of Frost (Good defense)
1 Wall of Tears (Good early defense)
2 Cadaver Imp (Recurs what we've lost, especially with Hope out, can be transmuted for)
1 Mindleech Mass (From the original build. Good with FF. First cut if it proves annoying)
1 Dread (From the original build. Good defense, but may be too expensive to be useful)

The Land - 40
4 Drowned Catacomb
1 Tainted Isle
2 Vivid Creek
2 Bojuka Bog
1 Dimir Aqueduct
1 Sunken Ruins
14 Swamp
15 Island
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Cadaver Imp for Gravedigger, because the Imp can be transmuted for.

Megrim and Underworld Dreams together make me dream of Anvil of Bogardan.

I'd say Liliana's Caress for Megrim, but the difference in cmc means it cannot be transmuted for.

A late game Sunder could doom everyone, as might a timely Windfall.  The latter can be transmuted for.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Cadaver Imp for Gravedigger, because the Imp can be transmuted for.

Megrim and Underworld Dreams together make me dream of Anvil of Bogardan.

I'd say Liliana's Caress for Megrim, but the difference in cmc means it cannot be transmuted for.

A late game Sunder could doom everyone, as might a timely Windfall.  The latter can be transmuted for.

Cheers!

Good calls on all of those, Krich!
I have the Cadaver Imps and Windfalls sitting waiting for decks... don't know why I didn't think of them. Windfall is definitely a straight swap for the Thought Reflections, too - should be just as effective, with the added bonuses of being transmutable and dealing Megrim damage.
You're right on the Caress - transmute is the only reason I am running Megrim ahead of it here.
Anvil is not here simply because my playgroup has a tendency to go hard or go home with Forced Fruition in play (i.e. if they're going to cast things, do three in a turn and end up with a 20-card hand), and the Anvil will prevent them from discarding all that good stuff. Otherwise, it would be in before you could say "boo".
Sunder is an interesting one... I do have copies available for this deck, but it's certainly a late-game spell, if anything (but boy, would it hurt if it goes off with a Megrim on the board). Might bear some playtesting, that one.

Updating the top post...
-2 Gravedigger, +2 Cadaver Imp
-2 Thought Reflection, +2 Windfall

The only reason I recommend Sunder is that I am used to playing it alongside Underworld Dreams and Teferi's Puzzle Box - that annoys people immensely. 

I suspect Windfalling after filling everyone's hands would finish everyone.  Presuming a Megrim in play, that is.

Is Seizan, Perverter of Truth worth considering?

Steering this deck into Warped Devotion territory may or may not backfire, but this is another card you could transmute for.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Let's skip the part where I bash your deck for being 100 cards because I know that you know how important consistency is. Let's just get the part where I give up and pretend it's ok to have a 100 card deck. What really worries me in the breakdown of this deck. I feel like its ratios are completely out of whack, and you're not focusing on the right elements. Let's talk about the most important things.

Early defense. Most decks want it, most decks need it, yours doesn't have it. Now I know someone is going to point to your 2 birds and 3 walls and claim "hey, he has cards for that." Well, some nice easy math is going to tell us that 5/60 is 0.08333, so only 8.333% of your deck's spells (we have to exclude the 40 cards allotted for lands in 100 card decks) can provide you with any sort of real protection. Is that reliable? I really don't think so. Don't bother to point that transmute wall as 3 more "protection outs" either, because I haven't gotten to those yet. Your protection is only good if you get it in the first few turns, and a key component of that sentence is "only if you get it." Right now I'm not convinced. Just because I always do, I'm throwing out suggestions like Propaganda, Koskun Falls, No Mercy, maybe Dissipation Field, and other global protection effects.

Consistency. Now, you decided to fill your deck with combos, silver bullets, synergies, counters, discard, the works. If it's considered to be a blue or black effect it's probably in here. How exactly do you plan to get any kind of consistent result out of this deck? By result I don't mean the outcome of the game, I mean the outcome of what the deck did relative to what you tried to do. One game you might draw nothing but your random creatures and play an "aggro" deck, and other games you'll draw mismatched combo pieces and set up a little bit of everything and a whole lot of nothing. Sometimes, on rare occasions, the planets will align and you'll curve out properly, draw some early walls to protect you, and kill people as planned.

Why do I think this? Let's look at this critically. Pretty much every card in this deck has "can be transmuted for" beside it. Great. Fantastic. How many transmute cards do we have again? 7 for 3 CC and 1 for 6 CC? So like 8/60 cards are in charge of making your plays consistent? That's only 13.333% of your spells, let alone the 40 lands they're buried under. You have no draw (Syphon Mind, Rhystic Study, Mind's Eye), no hard tutors (Demonic Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Diabolic Tutor, Beseech the Queen), no filter (Sensei's Divining Top, Crystal Ball), absoutely nothing to make this deck work how you want it to other than a few tutors with a limited CC scope. I also want to point out that even though 13% is a somewhat decent amount of tutoring, the distribution is completely off. It's almost entirely for 3 CC cards, there's only 1 6 CC tutor in the entire deck. How exactly do you plan to win if you can't get Forced Fruition into play consistently?

Too many small effects. I'm really too lazy to type them all out, but just take a good look at your revival, your counters, your creatures, etc. How many of those effects are actually going to affect the game in a meaningful way? Black and blue are kinds when it comes to global effects, why not abuse them? Massacre, Curfew, Barter in Blood, Innocent Blood, Evacuation and so much more can provide with defense while slowing everyone down. Creatures like Mortivore, Bonehoard, Avatar of Woe can all make use of creatures dying to give you some big beaters to protect you/kill others. Exsanguinate can give you an alternate win, keep you alive while you set up, finish off low players, and more. Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain, Fact or Fiction, Jace's Ingenuity blue has tons of great draw spells that you can play at EOT to dig for your combo pieces. Why use an imp that can only revive once? Why not play effects like Grim Harvest, Phyrexian Reclamation, Diabolic Servitude, Oversold Cemetery, or any of the dizens of black spells that provide constant reanimation and don't need Sunken Hope to be effective. The thought is nice, but let's be realistic here, how much can you rely on having these kinds of combos come through if you can't even get your main ones to work consistently?

I just feel like nothing about this deck is in balance. It's filled with combo pieces that it will never get, it has protection that it will never see, and it's supported by small effects when mutiplayer calls for large ones. Even you ignore the 100 card part, I don't see how you can get past all of this as well.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
Hi,

I really like the deck. I just figured it could use a few changes. I'm no Magic expert, just thought I'd give some advice.
First, why not drop the Vivid Creek and add in a Dreadship Reef?
Since your deck is blue/black anyway, you have no real need for Vivid Creek's "any color mana" capabilities.

Second, I see no real need for Indentured Djinn or Sphinx of Lost Truths to be in the deck; both of their effects are pretty pointless. You carry multiple themes in your deck, Indentured Djinn exiles your own card if you don't have enough mana to pay for your effect. Remember, it uses this effect every turn. Sphinx of Lost Truths requires another two mana if you don't want to lose another 3 cards. And there are no real combos i can see where they can be played together.
If you're looking for heavy power blues, I suggest Lorthos, the Tidemaker or Stormtide Leviathan for their effects that make them essentially unblockable.

Since some components of your deck seem to be based around discard, I would recommend you add a few Nyxathids and drop the Bloodwitch. I've gotten quite a few results from this card. Three mana, two black and one colorless, for a (hypothetically) 7/7 monster is really great. If you want to amp Nyxathid, add four Duress for some advantage.
There are other black discard cards that would be good, but I can't seem to remember right now. I can get back to you though.

One last thing- Lose the Pilgrim's Eye. If you want land, you can get it cheaper through Terramorphic Expanse.

Hope this helped.
Great points, as always, guys.
One point I must make is that, as is more and more evident in my playtesting so far, Sunken Hope is a key card here (Tich, this is the sole reason I'm running gimpy-looking creatures like Cadaver Imp - it plays well with SH. I can bounce it back and do it again the next turn).

The order we drop the enchantments is key for this deck.
No-one cares much about Megrim if we drop it out early, but they sure do if it's Underworld Dreams.
Turn 5 is about where this deck starts to put its foot down - Sunken Hope and Painful Quandary will both start the stalling/control about then. They probably get played first, ahead of Dreams and Forced Fruition.

So the important thing here is that the creatures we play in the meantime are good enough to hold things together for us for the first 5-6 turns. But they also have to play nicely with Sunken Hope. This has been the challenge - finding creatures that are consistently good defensively, but also have half-decent ETB abilities (or non-creatures, as Tich points out).

Anyway. I pulled the deck apart and rebuilt it for the first time last night, and noted the following:

But I also had in the original (horrid pile of a) build:

So I've left the above in for now. Jace, the Ball and the Tutors play well, as Tich suggested they would. Do we now have enough card draw or manipulation? I don't know. I think I'll probably have to give it a run tonight to find out (i.e. the hard way).
I also had Dread and Mindleech Mass in the original build - I've left them in for now, just because Dread (while expensive) fits our defensive needs, and Mindleech Mass (while not playing well with Sunken Hope) is just too much fun with Forced Fruition in play. If they drive me nuts, they get cut.

But I'm glad you guys have all sunk the teeth into it - the volume of your responses is a mark of how horrible v1.0 was, and the base I was working with. It was literally Mrs. Bl00m picking a pile of fun cards she wanted to play with and filling 100 sleeves. When I pulled it apart last night, it had 31 land on board for 100 cards. No wonder I was hating playing it.
Krich, most of the stuff I've pulled out was situational bounce + Warped Devotion - it was fun, but it was starting to pull away from the deck's main theme. I do loves me some Warped Devotion, but it was ending up a bit superfluous here (well, that and the bounce in the deck was horrid... a playset of Blizzard Specter here, an Unsummon there...)
So this is very much a deck looking for some form of redemption, and has a long way to go to achieve the consistency we need it to. Definitely a "Please Doctor, Help My Deck" post that I expect to be an on-and-off, long-running thread. I suspect it's going to take some tinkering to find the right mix in the toolbox.

The only thing worse than getting a fruit and nut loaf at Christmas is losing to a fruity nut playing a loaf the rest of the year.  Having said that, I loved playing loaf decks, but they're literally a pain to shuffle and you have to use two containers to hold them in covers.  Although I agree with Tich's allusion to cutting to a normal-sized deck to focus the pain, I have no real feedback to provide on this, except that I'd be gritting my teeth when I saw Megrim and Underworld Dreams in the same deck.  The only consolation I'd have is that you're less likely to draw what you need to kill me.

Good hunting.

Turn 5 is about where this deck starts to put its foot down - Sunken Hope and Painful Quandary will both start the stalling/control about then. They probably get played first, ahead of Dreams and Forced Fruition...

This was my biggest concern from the beginning. It's easy to assume that you'll get these cards out on turn 5, but in a 100 card deck with no draw and no tutors (no 5 CC transmute cards anyways) I don't see it happening consistently. Like I said before, try and see how well the deck does what you want it to do. Are you getting your turn 5 control enchantments? Are you getting adequate protection from your early creatures? Is your deck curving out and comboing out how you planned it to? I feel like the answer to these questions and more will be "no" more often than not. I think the deck will speak for itself though if given enough testing.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
Plays pretty much like we expected it to right now.
Dropped double Sunken Hope on the board, and then got terminated the turn before it was going to drop Painful Quandary and begin the lockdown.
Of course, the fact that it copped a kicked Elemental Appeal to the face on Turn 6 may have had something to do with that. Needed a Recoil in hand, didn't have it.
We'll see what more playtesting brings, but yes, definitely needs some more consistent tutoring.

Unfortunately that's the kind of play that every deck should lose to. I'm guessing that player was using some sort of "all-in" Red deck and just tried to burn you down specifically. I don't see how else he pulls that play off on turn 6. I'm guessing that person also lost the game shortly after. Realistically, you can't win games if other players suicide to kill you. There's no magical solution to stopping other players from devoting their decks to stopping yours.  You have to kind of  rely on MAD (mutually assured destruction) to prevent this kind of from happening. Still, players will build "irrational" decks and pursue "irrational" strategies from time to time, and you'll just have to roll with the punches when it happens.
Naturally. It was pretty much me losing the coin flip on who cops the Elemental Appeal to the face, nothing more. And you can't plan for that one.
Ironically, Mrs. Bl00m was next to me, running the 100-Card Elf deck, and Elfballed the guy out of the game a couple of turns later (and then proceeded to pull out the win).