04/19/2011 LI: "Cards You Can Count On"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I'm sorry but when are we going to get a walkthrough that was promised back in January? 

Sure, this article has to fit in with 'common' week and there a few semi-interesting points but I don't think it adds much to people's drafting ability.  It would have been much better had SS created a few specific scenarios and said, in this circumstance you might want to consider picking X because ...  For example, if you have a dino deck with 2 Fangren Marauders should you still be looking at an Alpha Tyrannx or are you better off picking the Molder Beast?  Or, if you are in control and you get a choice between a Wall of Tanglecord and a Neurok Replica what should you take any why.  These are questions that would help people make more informed decisions when drafting. 
I'm sorry but when are we going to get a walkthrough that was promised back in January? 

Sure, this article has to fit in with 'common' week and there a few semi-interesting points but I don't think it adds much to people's drafting ability.  It would have been much better had SS created a few specific scenarios and said, in this circumstance you might want to consider picking X because ...  For example, if you have a dino deck with 2 Fangren Marauders should you still be looking at an Alpha Tyrannx or are you better off picking the Molder Beast?  Or, if you are in control and you get a choice between a Wall of Tanglecord and a Neurok Replica what should you take any why.  These are questions that would help people make more informed decisions when drafting. 

Durr..."If people really like a card, then they won't pass it. If a card does not get passed much, then you won't get it passed to you often."

Ok, that was a good discussion. Next? How about how awful rares always get passed? Weird how I always see those semblance anvils p1p5...

Durr..."If people really like a card, then they won't pass it. If a card does not get passed much, then you won't get it passed to you often."

Ok, that was a good discussion. Next? How about how awful rares always get passed? Weird how I always see those semblance anvils p1p5...

Don't forget those late Molten Psyche and Tunnel Ignus.
I apologize to the person who started this thread, I did not realize the Limited Information was intended for beginner players. I fail.

This article brings up one of the main reasons I love drafting the Scars/Besieged format at the format. There are an abundance of good common cards to pick up in limited but some cards may only fit into your strategy some of the time. Moriok Reaver was a pretty good example of a card that only fits in noninfect archtypes so it doesn't always make the cut. It gains a ton of value though if your 3 drop spot is bare and/or you have a Morbid Plunder or two to go with it. Plus trading a 12th pick Reaver for a 3rd-4th pick Cystbearer is good times as well.

I just had a crazy idea, which I wish they had done for common week: Do a reverse-spoiler season and start the spoilers a week early with articles on the coolest commons from New Phyrexia.

I say this because interest in New Phyrexia was extremely low until the accidental spoilers were posted online (I'm assuming they were accidental, though they did counter the lagging interest in the next set, so they certainly had enough positives for Wizards to release them intentionally). Either way, it is clear spoilers are increasing interest in the set. New Phyrexia is being released later than Rise of the Eldrazi, and many players are feeling it as they get antsy for the as-well delayed spoiler season. I think having Common Week dedicated to talking about some of the cool commons would have been much more interesting.

After all, looking at Mirrodin Besieged, some of the commons were already highly talked about on this site: Priests of Norn, Flayer Husk, Concussive Bolt, and Fangren Marauder all got a lot of discussion. Of these, Concussive Bolt gives an insight into where metalcraft was going, Priests of Norn shows infect in white, and Flayer Husk gives a common view into a new mechanic. Spread the Sickness would also do that in showing prolifrate in black, and Master's Call has plenty to talk about with metalcraft and flash-blocking.

Basically, I'm saying that would have been super cool to have done, and then the spoilers proper and post-spoiler season articles could focus less on the commons and more on the splashier cards.
If you are drafting white green in the curent environment, no cards will save you: You are still playing a slow deck that's very likely low on removal and evasion.

If white is very open and you are getting late arrests, why not pair it up with blue fliers? A classic archtype that works in most formats.

If instead you are going to play dinosaurs, isn't red, a color with a lot more removal, a better bet?

WG infect? You are kidding right?

Either way you slice it, the best thing you can do while drafting GW is do a lot of praying.
WG infect? You are kidding right?

WG is great for a partial infect deck because its best infect creatures are either cost-effective (Cystbearer), good for other things (Rot Wolf), or good on defense, which is what a non-infect deck could use infect for (Blight Mamba, Priests of Norn, Blightwidow).
This article brings up a lot of great points -- I just went 3-1 in a pretty competitive 10-man draft despite having not played a game in over a year, and jumping aggressively on the Oxidda Daredevils and Blade-Tribe Beserkers needed to fill out my curve was key. My rather underpowered RG deck just ran smoother than my opponents' decks in basically every game.