04/19/2011 SF: "Cheap Date"

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
What makes this so exciting is that prior to Master's Edition III there were no common legendary creatures.

Joven and Chandler disagree.
If im around ill play  Shardfenix on mtgo
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
Thanks for reminding me that Legends is my least favourite set of all time with the most stupid cards ever.

If I had the power to erase one edition of Magic from history, it would be Legends.
Thanks for reminding me that Legends is my least favourite set of all time with the most stupid cards ever.

If I had the power to erase one edition of Magic from history, it would be Legends.

What's wrong with Legends?  It has Mana Drain and the Elder Dragons, including Nicol Bolas.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
What's wrong with Legends?  It has Mana Drain and the Elder Dragons, including Nicol Bolas.

Of course it has some good cards as well. Every set has. But Legends also has the highest eyesore count and lack of cohesion.

And "Bands with other", the most idiotic mechanic ever.
Don't want to hijack this thread, but here's a shout out for Chaos, a free weekly Commander tournament every Sunday. Every week we have a theme and incidentally our theme next Sunday (May 1st) is Pauper so if you want to continue playing Pauper Commander or even for the first time, feel free to join us at 2pm EST (registration with Julie from 1pm EST - due to daylight saving time). Good luck at the tournament!
8pm est is a bit late for me here in the UK, so I'll wish you good luck instead. I would have brought my Ramirez de Pietro deck otherwise.

It's worth pointing out that many online players like myself use the pauper filter for this kind of thing, which restricts it to cards that have a common printing online, i.e. not Joven, Chandler  or False Defeat for example.
Sounds like fun! Wish there was more than a day's notice, as I already have plans for tomorrow night. Have fun!
OK, common legends exist, but they're all vanilla except for one with first strike? Really? What's the point? I mean, I realize that your general is usually a big target and therefore has a short life expectancy, but playing a general without any abilities that you'd even try to use just to enable their colors seems like no fun. Can't you bend the pauper rules just a little bit and include one single card, the general himself, that was printed at uncommon, if it allows the use of cool abilities, like Stangg, Sosuke, Son of Seshiro or Rashka the Slayer?

Now that I think about this theme week I actually would like to build a pauper deck, just for the fun of it. There are a lot of commons that are cool and fun but too narrow or low-power to use outside Sealed/Draft, and it would be nice to play with them again. But if such a deck happens to be Commander/EDH I think I'd let the general break the rule - it is the general, after all - rather than try to find a common general that fits the theme.

This seems more like a Magic Online thing anyway.  I think I have one or two of those legendary creatures from Legends from their Chronicles or Time Spiral printings, but for people who mainly play paper Magic they are no more common than any other card that old. 

Also, I have a question about EDH rules. Can flip cards like from the Kamigawa block be used as the general?

It's probably not the weakest set in the game (that's probably Homelands, with several other early sets as close contenders), and it might not be the most incoherent in flavor and storyline (if The Dark is better, it's not by much), but put the two together and it's probably the worst set overall. Legends was two or three cards that got banned because they were overpowered, a couple dozen cards that were Timmyish and/or Vorthosish but not actually playable, a couple dozen cards that were incorporated into the base set, and 250 cards like vanilla legends, Rust, and Rohgahh of Kher Keep. Hey, no offense intended to anyone, it was still early, they were still treading new ground in game design, but compared to any set at all from Tempest on it was horrible.
This is an idea that I've been pondering with a friend of mine for some time. Problem is that the Legends in the deck would be really bad, but still, it's a very nice idea.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
It's probably not the weakest set in the game (that's probably Homelands, with several other early sets as close contenders), and it might not be the most incoherent in flavor and storyline (if The Dark is better, it's not by much), but put the two together and it's probably the worst set overall.

The "flavor" of Legends was essentially "Here's a bunch of characters from our AD&D campaigns!" - seriously, go look it up.  That's why it's incoherent and random.
The set was also a vast miscalculation of how "cool" uniques would be by sole virtue of being unique (compare Sivitri Scarzam to Craw Wurm), which utterly collapsed when Chronicles happened.
Interesting article. I do love Pauper, but I don't think I can get into Pauper Commander. Commander's abilities interest me, and only 3 of them have abilities, 2 of which are quite lame, and DePietro's first strike isn't that much. I'd be more inclined to build a pauper DePietro pirate deck if the card was reprinted with the art given for the Priates vs. Ninjas April Fool's joke...

I heard elsewhere (Commandercast maybe?) of a Pauper Commander variant where the Commander itself doesn't need to be a common, but every other card has to be. I don't know if that would make things too crazy, but at least it would give some more interesting abilities than {R}{R}{R}, {T}: Destroy target artifact creature.
Seconded. Your general suddenly becomes the centerpiece of your deck (as it should be, by many accounts) instead of a piece of vanilla/french vanilla chaff. Pauper Sygg, River Cutthroat aggro, pauper Wort, the Raidmother ramp, and other stuff could sounds like loads of fun.
All the common legends aren't just terrible by legend standards, that's to be expected for the pauper version of something. But they're also terrible by common standards.
Love pauper. In fact I was just playtesting with a friend my version of Metalhawk pauper to his standard decks. Surprisingly, it fared very well and is fast! Love the change of pace and mechanic vs waiting for the WinCon cards.
Interesting article. I do love Pauper, but I don't think I can get into Pauper Commander. Commander's abilities interest me, and only 3 of them have abilities, 2 of which are quite lame, and DePietro's first strike isn't that much. I'd be more inclined to build a pauper DePietro pirate deck if the card was reprinted with the art given for the Priates vs. Ninjas April Fool's joke...

I heard elsewhere (Commandercast maybe?) of a Pauper Commander variant where the Commander itself doesn't need to be a common, but every other card has to be. I don't know if that would make things too crazy, but at least it would give some more interesting abilities than {R}{R}{R}, {T}: Destroy target artifact creature.

Seconded. Your general suddenly becomes the centerpiece of your deck (as it should be, by many accounts) instead of a piece of vanilla/french vanilla chaff. Pauper Sygg, River Cutthroat aggro, pauper Wort, the Raidmother ramp, and other stuff could sounds like loads of fun.

I agree that using any legendary creature as your Commander is much more interesting. That's something I'll certainly bring up for the future. My intent was to keep things as simple as possible and 'everything is a common' is pretty straightforward to do.

Thanks for the feedback; be sure to catch the follow up article if you miss the games tomorrow night!
Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs
Down2three on mtgo count me in!
Ranth on Mtgo i'll try to have a deck together in time
-had a deck just needed to update it was all :p 
My MTGO username is Ranth
Count me in! SirMu is Magic Online name.
Throw my name in there too, GreatClownPagliacci on MTGO.
Thanks to everyone who came out! It was a blast!

Look for an article in a few weeks along with a follow up casual meeting of the digital minds! 
Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs
What makes this so exciting is that prior to Master's Edition III there were no common legendary creatures.

Joven and Chandler disagree.

Just in case anyone is still interested, the list of common Legends is here.

Out of curiosity, what decks did people play?  I built a Red-Green Pauper Commander deck to see just what possibilities were out there.  Ended up like this:

Lands:
1 Evolving Wilds
12 Forest
1 Forgotten Cave
1 Gruul Turf
1 Jund Panorama
11 Mountain
1 Naya Panorama
1 Slippery Karst
1 Smoldering Crater
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Tranquil Thicket

Creatures:
1 Anarchist
1 Avenging Druid
1 Battlefield Scrounger
1 Elf Replica
1 Emrakul's Hatcher
1 Fangren Marauder
1 Fierce Empath
1 Flamewave Invoker
1 Godtracker of Jund
1 Golgari Brownscale
1 Gorger Wurm
1 Greater Basilisk
1 Greater Mossdog
1 Hand of Emrakul
1 Ingot Chewer
1 Jerrard of the Closed Fist
1 Kozilek's Predator
1 Krosan Restorer
1 Mold Shambler
1 Soulbright Flamekin
1 Streetbreaker Wurm
1 Sylvok Replica
1 Tangle Hulk
1 The Lady of the Mountain
1 Thornscape Familiar
1 Thunderscape Familiar
1 Timbermaw Larva
1 Tilling Treefolk
1 Ulamog's Crusher
1 Wickerbough Elder
1 Wildheart Invoker
1 Yavimaya Elder

Spells:
1 Act of Treason
1 All Is Dust
1 Aftershock
1 Ancient Grudge
1 Arcane Spyglass
1 Beast Hunt
1 Builder's Bane
1 Commune with Nature
1 Deglamer
1 Disintegrate
1 Elven Cache
1 Evolution Charm
1 Expedition Map
1 Explorer's Scope
1 Fissure
1 Gaea's Touch
1 Gift of the Gargantuan
1 Gruul Signet
1 Harrow
1 Horizon Spellbomb
1 Hull Breach
1 Kaervek's Torch
1 Khalni Heart Expedition
1 Mind Stone
1 Mulch
1 Night Soil
1 Reclaim
1 Rolling Thunder
1 Rootgrapple
1 Salvage
1 Shattering Pulse
1 Snake Umbra
1 Song of Blood
1 Sprout Swarm
1 Untamed Might
1 Wayfarer's Bauble

56866188 wrote:
I knew the attempt to "make the game simpler and more [accessible] to new players" would get forgotten and it sure didn't take long. Gary Adkison
It's a sad day indeed when Joven and Chandler are the best anything.
I'm so disappointed! I got home yesterday fighting through traffic with just enough time to get online in for the invite.... then mtgo needed to be repaired before it would launch!!! I had just used it the night before, spending 3-4 hours on my pauper commander deck! FrownCryCryFrown
I'm so disappointed! I got home yesterday fighting through traffic with just enough time to get online in for the invite.... then mtgo needed to be repaired before it would launch!!! I had just used it the night before, spending 3-4 hours on my pauper commander deck! FrownCryCryFrown

Based on feedback... there will be more soon!
Sign In to post comments