Kuldotha Red (KRed)

136 posts / 0 new
Last post

Kuldotha Red

What is Kuldotha Red?
Kuldotha Red - or KRed, for short - is a red aggro/combo deck. It utilizes cards such as it's namesake, Kuldotha Rebirth, as well as Memnite and Goblin Guide to create an army early, then proceeds to swing for massive amounts of damage with mass pump such as Signal Pest, Goblin Bushwhacker and Contested War Zone.

----------------

Lands
[c]Mountain[/C] - No-brainer. Moving on.

Arid Mesa or Scalding Tarn - Gives you access to instant speed Searing Blaze. That's pretty much it, here.

Contested War Zone - Gives you more explosive starts. This deck lives and breathes mass pump, so you'll want these.

Teetering Peaks - Played in certain red decks. Usually too slow in KRed, but test it out for yourself.

Creatures
Goblin Guide - Pretty much needed. He swings for two on turn one, and he doesn't die to a Ratchet Bomb with zero charge counters. Play four.

Memnite - It gives you an additional creature on turn one, which is crucial. You want to swing with a pumped up team on turn 2 - at the latest - and an extra 1/1 is well worth the card it costs.

Signal Pest - Another one of your bread-and-butter cards. Again, mass pump is why this deck works, so play these.

Goblin Bushwhacker - Another must-play card.

Ornithopter - If you want extra free guys. Also, it flies.

Goblin Wardriver and Goblin Chieftain - Basically your other mass pump effects, albeit slower than the other ones. Play them if you like.

Myr Sire - Doesn't die to sweeps. Costs 2 mana, though.

Hero of the Oxid Ridge An endgame threat, if you feel that you need it. Costs 4 mana, though.

Spikeshot Elder - A powerful red 1-drop. Often considered too slow here. Test it out yourself.

Spells
Kuldotha Rebirth - How you create your army.

Devestating Summons - Another card to make multiple creatures. Risky - most people don't play four.

Lightning Bolt - Remove blockers or three to the face. Moving on.

Arc Trail - Removes several blockers. Good against Squadron Hawk before you swing.

Searing Blaze - Removes a blocker and deals three to the face. At the same time. o_O

Mox Opal - Lets you empty your hand quicker, while still having mana open to kick Bushwhacker. Very good here.

Chimeric Mass - A creature which doesn't die to sweepers (other than Ratchet Bomb set to 0).

Koth of the Hammer Gives you an endgame threat, if you feel that you need it. Again, mana cost can be a problem.

Sideboard
Sideboards can vary heavily, but a couple of solid cards include:

Perilous Myr - Kills Kor Firewalker and Phyrexian Crusader. Needs something to kill or sacrifice it, though. Rebirth does this well, as does the light end of Arc Trail.

Manic Vandal/Crush/Shatter - Kills artifacts dead. Shatter is probably the best one here, though, as Vandal is slow and Crush doesn't kill Wurmcoil Engines, animated artifacts and other artifact creatures.

Also, whichever one of Searing Blaze and Arc Trail you aren't running MD should probably go here - you often don't want to play four of both in the main deck, but whichever you choose (either/or or a split) you often want access to the other one(s).

Skeleton list

Minimum requirements:

2x Contested Warzone

4x Goblin Guide

4x Signal Pest

4x Goblin Bushwhacker

4x Memnite

4x Kuldotha Rebirth

3x Lightning Bolt

2x Mox Opal

Add cards from the above sections as you choose.

Matchups
I'd like some help here - I don't know the MU's well enough to give much advice.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
Also, if anyone could tell me why there's those weird big spaces in between some of the lines, I'd like to know how to remove them/make it look a little better. =)
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
I think that you should mention Teetering Peaks in the lands.  Not too sure if Kred plays them, but I know the other red decks do.
Want to know how to keep a moron busy? Reread this sentence to find out!
Well, I haven't seen any KRed decks play them, but they're added now. =)
Well, I haven't seen any KRed decks play them, but they're added now. =)

I also think you meant Goblin Chieftain insted of Goblin Warchief? Unless you were just joking, of course.
Come find me on League of Legends, still under FruFruLOL IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGFrufrucopy.png)
Well, uh... That's...

Yeah, totally just joking. No mixup.

Cool
Well, uh... That's...

Yeah, totally just joking. No mixup.

Gottcha', figured much.
Come find me on League of Legends, still under FruFruLOL IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGFrufrucopy.png)
So this dck is pretty much dead I think. Unless anyone has got some ideas....
So this dck is pretty much dead I think. Unless anyone has got some ideas....

There was a Top 8 at Okiyama Regionals.
Right, but I meant after NPH enters Standard. This deck just dies.
What kills it that didn't before? Just the threat of Turn 3 Batterskull?
wich you could go play yourself as well.

also, this deck gets to anwser valakut with the muskito.

Anyway,

I made a Kred deck ill post my list. It isnt finalized yet though, i need either more contested warzones or maybe even better, some teetring peeks

Havent tryed it or anything yet. My biggest concern is the amount of artifacts and if they are enough. Also the 1 Collar and gear in my Sideboard is making me wonder if that works since i can't fetsh for it like boros

want to link single cards or your deck? look at the spoiler
Show
for 1 card use [c.][/c.] (but then without the dots) example: [c.]cardname here[/c] for a compleet list use [deck.][/deck.] (but then without the dots) example: [deck.] lands: # x name of land1 # x name of land2 And So On Creatures: # x name of creature1 # x name of creature2 And So On Spells: # x name of spell1 # x name of spell2 And So On Sideboard: # x name of sideboardcard1 # x name of sideboardcard2 And So On [/deck.]
What kills it that didn't before? Just the threat of Turn 3 Batterskull?

Marrow Shards.
mental misstep

see i can do that as well name random cards that work against stuff :P

just kidding

anyway, after NPH I would play the batterskull and bonehoard in the SB (I actually play the hoard in a lot of agro decks already cuss of the heave boardwipe in the meta atm)
Show
for 1 card use [c.][/c.] (but then without the dots) example: [c.]cardname here[/c] for a compleet list use [deck.][/deck.] (but then without the dots) example: [deck.] lands: # x name of land1 # x name of land2 And So On Creatures: # x name of creature1 # x name of creature2 And So On Spells: # x name of spell1 # x name of spell2 And So On Sideboard: # x name of sideboardcard1 # x name of sideboardcard2 And So On [/deck.]
Mental Mistep is pretty bad too. But, I can see people playing MS. I guess it doesn't really "kill" the deck, but we're going to have to find a way to play around it. But, this deck likes to go all in fairly quickly and they don't even have to have mana open to play MS.
true, but the last thing i would wanna do against an Agro deck is give up more life.

I do think Caw-Go wil play this (so it wont cost them life anyway), but it wil hurt them pretty bad as well if they wait till you got some more guys out (because they will probably kill off some of there birds)

having said so, i think there is enoug stuff in the new set that will make it pretty hard to decide the outcome already
Show
Mental Mistep is pretty bad too. But, I can see people playing MS. I guess it doesn't really "kill" the deck, but we're going to have to find a way to play around it. But, this deck likes to go all in fairly quickly and they don't even have to have mana open to play MS.

You'll figure out how to play Magic in a few years yet.  Don't worry, took me awhile too.  All you need to know is that free spells that can counter a turn 1 play are INSANE.  And that Marrow Shards won't see play.
1) Marrow Shards will see play if the meta calls for it. Right now, I'd feel that Ratchet Bomb would be a better catch-all to side in against KRed, so I also doubt that Marrow Shards will see much play, if any.

2) Mental Misstep probably won't see any Standard play whatsoever. Sitting with a dead card if your opponent doesn't go for a 1-drop is a pretty steep price to pay.

Mental Misstep not seeing play...? Really...?

I'll go down the list of potentially nasty cards that can go down on turn 1 or otherwise...

Despise or Inquisition of Kozliek + Surgical Extraction. All 1 drops and all can cause SERIOUS problems early game. Where else?

Slag Fiend will see play. He's a threat early on.

Dispatch can be a pain in the right deck.

Furnace Scamp. Turn 2, 4 damage.

Evil Presence = early mana screw. Really sucks in cases of duel lands.

Noxious Revival is worth it.

Glistener Elf = Turn 1 infect. Not fun to have to deal with. Turn 2 with Mutagenic Growth and a kicked Vines of Vastwood, your game isn't looking too friendly. (Notice ALL are one drops...)

I could go on but I'll spare you the time reading it...

Yeah, yeah. 1-drops can be dangerous. Sure.

Not all decks play them, though - and few, if any, rely on them enough to guarantee that they will see at least one of them during the course of a game.

KRed might be the exception, as they can counter either Guide, Pest, Bushwhacker, Rebirth, Summons or even a Bolt. In that case, Misstep would be a SB card against KRed. Even then, though, I'd probably rather just side in a number of Ratchet Bombs and gain CA while I rip apart KRed's tokens (from Summons and/or Rebirth), as well as any copies of Chimeric Mass and Mox Opals they might have in play.

Misstep will, in all probability, not see any significant Standard play. At the most, it will be a budget SB-card against KRed or a deck like it - and even then Marrow Shards will probably outclass it (against KRed at least).
@ tehbeast, Marrow Shards wrecks everything in the deck and seeing how Caw has white mana they won't be paying 2 life unless they have to.

@ Azotaka, How exactly is Slag Fiend a big threat early on? There has to be artifacts in graveyards for you to even play him.

Mistyped. Maybe not early game, but if he is dropped earlier in the game, I rather not have to deal with him after the next few turns with the artifact sacing and whatnot. This really isn't the point though. My point is that there are a lot of 1 drop threats and having Mental Misstep in the arsenal of counters has the potential to be pretty beneficial.

Not really disagreeing with you, but I think people are undervalueing Marrow Shards. Mental Mistep will make a a much bigger difference in the older formats. Standard....I'm going to adopt a "wait and see" approach. I mean people might get scared of it and decide not to play a whole bunch of 1 cmc stuff. Who knows?
has anyone thinking of putting in furnace scamp or artillerize..?
No, and maybe.
Nobody wanna give some pointers on my decklist? its my first time going red so I could use the advise
Show

Lands:
1x Contested war zone
21x Mountain

Creatures:
4x memnite
4x Signal pest
4x Goblin Guide
4x Goblin Bushwhacker
4x Goblin Wardriver -1 (if you want 3 ornithopters but then run hero of Oxid Ridge)
2x hero of Oxid Ridge -2 (If you run 4 Koth)
+2-3 ornithopter

Other spells:
2x Mox opal
4x Kuldotha Rebirth
4x Lightning Bolt
2x Searing blaze
4x Koth of the Hammer -2 (when running hero)

Sideboard:
2x Into the Core (Crush, Manic Vandal and Shatter are all better and cost less)
4x Perilous Myr
3x Spikeshot Elder
1x Basilisk Collar -1
1x Adventuring gear -1
2x Searing Blaze -2
2x Claw of Valakut -2
+2-4 ricochet trap or Reverberate
+2-3 Red Sun's Zenith
+2 Koth of the Hammer or Hero of Oxid Ridge

Ricochet Trap is a nice SB card for games against control/counters.
OR
Reverberate can copy anything from a counter spell to your own lightning bolt but it costs 2, nice for SB

Red Sun's Zenith is a nice SB card for games against vamp decks or any other decks with no counters. it's also a nice finisher for main deck

Koth of the Hammer can be 2-3 off in your main deck and move the rest to SB. or run 4 and move Hero of Oxid Ridge to SB, but you dont want too many high cost spells in your deck

i have found Ornithopter very handy as a 2-3  off main deck as it has evasion and is the only flyer in the KRed deck..

2-3 Teetering Peaks can help a lot but they come into play tapped so they slow you down sometimes and Contested War Zone doesn't really help as a mana source for most of the deck as most spells cost 1 red, but even so try to run 2

TukTuk the Explorer is awesome as well, i play him as a 1-2 off main deck.
he either deals 1 damage quite a few times or can be sacked to an opponent's ability or can block big things to get bigger havent been sad when drawing this card even once

is also good but is a bit expensive, i run 3 main deck but they don't help for thopters, signal pests, memnite & hero of oxid ridge.

just some ideas.. hope some of them are helpful
thanks, im gonna use your tips to improve the deck
Show
has anyone thinking of putting in furnace scamp or artillerize..?

artillerize is bad but furnace scamp is decent

tuktuk the explorer and Perilous Myr will love marrow shards and goblin wardriver and Hero of Oxid Ridge survive it so the deck shouldn't struggle to much with it if you have some of these cards in SB and/or MD

mental misstep will still be a problem but ricochet trap and/or reveberate could deal with it after SB
If i didn't want to include goblin guide, could I include something like 2 of kiln fiend, or 2 of ember hauler? 
Also, on average, what turn are you wanting to win, better yet, on what turn do most lists plan on killing their opponenet?
If i didn't want to include goblin guide, could I include something like 2 of kiln fiend, or 2 of ember hauler? 
Also, on average, what turn are you wanting to win, better yet, on what turn do most lists plan on killing their opponenet?

No; it has to be a one drop, and frankly if you're not going to get the Guides I would not bother playing this deck. It's pretty reliant on Guides.

Your aim is to win Turn 3-4. 
Ok then, the whole play set of guides?
How does the deck do if the game goes a little longer, like turn 5-8?  Or on the other hand, if the game goes any longer than turn 5 is the K red player doomed, or can you bounce back from lets say, pyroclasm?

4 memnite
4 ornathopter
4 signal pest
4 goblin bushwhacker
4 goblin guide
4 goblin wardriver

4 kuldoltha rebirth
4 lightning bolt
4 arc trail

4 contested warzone
18 mountain

Is this list acceptable?  It probably looks like all the other lists, but I would still like to know.  Should it have more mid game, or should i stick with they hyper agro?

drop the warzones and insert teetering peeks.

your also still 2 cards short (58 by my count anyway) i would put in 2 Hero of Oxid Ridge (or remove the goblin wardriver and put in koths and stuff)
Show
drop the warzones and insert teetering peeks.

your also still 2 cards short (58 by my count anyway) i would put in 2 Hero of Oxid Ridge (or remove the goblin wardriver and put in koths and stuff)

War Zone is good in this deck, but I think Teetering Peaks is good in there as well as a 2-of.

I think Arc Trail or Lightning Bolt should go, and add 4 Chimeric Mass, and then cut 4 Mountains and adding 2 Teetering Peaks and 3 Mox Opal, 1 Hero of Oxid Ridge.

If he doesn't want to play the Guides, he could go budget and play Skitter of Lizards.

in another thread, i Burnit suggested Scrapyard Salvo in a sacrificial bam deck, but i thought it would do better in this deck, as a back up.

it makes your opponent still pay if the play a sweeper like Pyroclasm or Day of Judgment or Marrow Shards. it also still works on its own since you are running Kuldotha Rebirth, and possily your own fleet of Pyroclasms.

in that thread I suggested the comboing of Riddlesmith along side the Scrapyard Salvo. Smith can help u hunt down your 0cmc guys n put them out while puting fuel in the grave for the Salvo. or not puting fuel. if u have a few Pyroclasms you can go kamikazi n swing, clasm, then salvo.
I will use guides for sure, its about time i got a set anyways.
Im not sure about the moxes though, would they really help that much?

4 memnite
4 ornathopter
4 signal pest
4 goblin bushwhacker
4 goblin guide
4 goblin wardriver
2 hero of oxid ridge

3 mox opal          (If i can afford them, if not what else, or should I just keep saving?)
1 chimeric mass

4 kuldoltha rebirth
4 lightning bolt

2 teetering peaks
4 contested warzone
16 mountain

This looking better?

Looks good. If you can't get Moxes, just add chimeric mass and mountains.
Looks good. If you can't get Moxes, just add chimeric mass and mountains.

GAH@!@$q134
chimeric mass so many better cards

i prefer cheifton over wardriver (opinion)

and i have a personal belief that you should run more then 4 burn you wont draw them when you need them add in a glavanic blast or arc trail or somthing

i would also mention devastating summons and jinxed idol.