Sunday April 17, 2010
Everyone is welcome to play!
WHEN and WHERE:
General event coordination and pairings will be announced in /join BYOS.
Registration will open at 12:30 p.m. EST, GMT -4 in /join BYOScom.
The first round will begin approximately thirty minutes later.
If you are new to the event please be sure to read through all of the event rules including the banned lists and rulings about special sets and proxies! If your deck contains illegal cards in the first round you will be allowed to replace the illegal cards with basic lands. If illegal cards are found to be in your deck in the following rounds you may be dropped or allowed to continue play with basic lands per the host's discretion.
WHAT IS BUILD YOUR OWN STANDARD?
BYOS is a wacky, fun, and completely open deck building format. Each player chooses any two blocks and any one core set and builds their deck from that pool, essentially creating their own standard environment. This allows for the format to have something for everyone. Standard players can bring a current standard legal deck and easily compete, while extended players can add their favorite tools. Classic players can also use their oldest cards while not forcing the power level to go through the roof.
The blocks don't need to be consecutive, allowing a deck-building centrally minded player to mix and match blocks from across time periods to build something truely unique. Ever wonder what Mirridon and Scars of Mirridon Standard would be like? Or the two tribal blocks, Onslaught and Lorwyn? Just add a core set and you're on your way. BYOS allows you to explore these options with every deck-builder having the same restrictions.
BYOS also allows for you to play your old favorite standard decks that have rotated out only to be left by the wayside. Remember Dragonstorm back in Ravnica/Timespiral STD? If it's your type of deck then it's completely viable here along with many other old STD decks.
As you can imagine with all the possibilities it might be a bit hard to decide what deck you want to play. If you're having trouble getting started building a deck I've collected the top 4 metagame from each of our events thus far. We've had a wide array of decks from normal standard to force of will decks that have been thrashed by 10 dollar decks!
Where did the format come from? It was first used in the Magic 2007 Invitational. However, after several events of trying things out we've given the rules a full overhaul. So check out the banned list and the set legality sections below.
If you have any more questions check out the FAQ and Link sections at the bottom. The Link section is full of decklists and articles that should help you get started in the format. If it's not answered there then don't hesitate to ask me or another member of Clan Yawgmoth.
BANNED AND RESTRICTED
- Amulet of Quoz
- Cranial Plating
- Disciple of the Vault
- Demonic Consultation
- Dream Halls
- Frantic Search
- Goblin Recruiter
- Hermit Druid
- Imperial Seal
- Mana Crypt
- Mana Vault
- Memory Jar
- Mind Over Matter
- Mind's Desire
- Mystical Tutor
- Oath of Druids
- Time Spiral
- Tolarian Academy
- Vampiric Tutor
- Worldgorger Dragon
- Yawgmoth's Bargain
- Yawgmoth's Will
If you have questions about what's legal don't hesitate to ask. This is a very unexplored format so we will be watching and updating the banned and restricted lists closely.
SET LEGALITY AND SPECIAL SETS
Set legality and proxy rules have been set up to keep the format as close to paper printed legalities as possible while also including only the 'modernly designed' sets per the original rules.
- Blocks from Ice age and up are legal.
- Core sets from 5th edition and up are legal.
- MED sets CANNOT be chosen for either a core set or block.
- Dual decks CANNOT be chosen for either a core set or block.
- Other special sets CANNOT be chosen for either a core set or block.
- The Ice Age block consists of Ice Age, Alliances, and Coldsnap.
- Homelands can be chossen as it's own block.
- Lorwyn and Shadowmoore are considered one block.
- Zendikar/Worldwake and Rise of Eldrazi are considered one block.
Proxies are allowed in that you can choose a paper printing of a block or core set and still be able to use cards as "proxies" from the online special sets. As with any format you can also proxy a different edition of a card that is legal in your sets.
So for Example:
You could choose Ice Age block to use the MED Force of Will.
OR You could choose Masques block and use the DD2 Daze.
OR You could choose M10 and use a MED Lightning bolt.
- Prizes will be awarded for the top 8 players as outlined below.
- The top 4 players will receive credit on one of the Clan Yawgmoth Trade Network bot families. Prize credit will rotate each week between our bot families. To receive prizes Top 8 players must post their decklist in this thread within 48 hours or they forfeit their prizes. This is to encourage deck development.
- When redeeming credit you are NOT allowed to take tickets. If it is found that you have redeemed your bot credit for tickets your name will be placed on the prize redemtion warnning list for the first offense with possible banning from the event for a second offense. Please only redeem your credits for cards or boosters.
- Participants that finish within places 5-8 (with Top 8 cut only) will be awarded credits on the __Yawgmoth__ prize bot. For an explanation please see here. 100 points is roughly equal to one of the following:
- 1 MYTHIC
- 1 RARE
- 2 UNCOMMONS
- 8 COMMONS
- Any 1 Foil
- OR a combination thereof (eg: 1 uncommon and 4 commons, etc.)
- Prizes can be collected through the Prize Pool Bot account __Yawgmoth__. Your prize points will be added no later than 24 hours after the event and once they are added you can trade with this account at any time to claim your prize. Click the link for more information on how it works!
- A Door Prize will also be reserved for a randomly-selected player who completes all of the swiss rounds, but does not make the final cut.
EVENT DETAILS and RULES
- The number of rounds is dependant on the number of players that attend the event.
- With 17 or fewer players:
Play will be 3 rounds of swiss followed by a top 4 playoff.
- With 18 players or more:
Play will be 3 rounds of swiss followed by a top 8 playoff.
- With 24 players or more:
Play will be 4 rounds of swiss followed by a top 8 playoff.
- With 40 players or more:
Play will be 5 rounds of swiss followed by a top 8 playoff.
- With 17 or fewer players:
- Matches will be Best 2 out of 3, set for 30 minutes per player (1 hour per match)
- Matches will be played in the Casual Play > Anything Goes room.
- Matches must be set to watchable, with the classic format filter, and must have "BYOS[Round]" in the description. It is the responsibility of both players to ensure matches are set up correctly.
- If a player doesn't join their assigned match within 10 minutes of pairing announcements, their opponent will be awarded a match win.
- Match results and drops must be reportedin the /join BYOScom room.
- Please do not use the 'com' room for anything other than reporting match results or drops.
- The deck used in the first round must be used for the entire event. Deviation from the deck used in the first round will result in disqualification.
- For deck legality checks if asked by ANY player or host what your chosen sets are you must respond with the full and correct response. If you fail to identify your sets you may be droped from the event.
- If your deck contains illegal cards in the first round you will be allowed to replace the illegal cards with basic lands. If illegal cards are found to be in your deck in the following round you may be droppedor allowed to continue play with basic lands per the host's discretion.
- Intentional draws are not allowed. Come to play and have fun.
- Players are expected to follow widely-accepted Community guidelines for conduct to maintain a fair and civil playing environment.
- The host reserves the right to use widely-accepted disciplinary measures to enforce these guidelines.
- The host is not responsible for making judgments based on game play situations. The host will not enter a match table and tell players what to do. The host is a facilitator, not a judge.
- Please don't talk in other player's games unless both players agree that it is OK.
- Players who make the playoff cut must post their decklist in this thread within 48 hours or they forfeit their prizes. This is to encourage deck development.
- How do I post my decklist?
- Save your list from MTGO as a .txt file.
- Open it in a simple editor such as Notepad.
- Select and copy the deck contents.
- Click reply in this thread and paste them into the forum.
- Start your post with you mtgo screen name, place in the tournament, blocks and core set used, and a deck name.
- What is a season and how does it work?
- BYOS will be ran in a 16 week season. For each event you will gain season points for participation and performance. At the end of the 16 weeks the top players will be invited to participate in a championship event with increased prizes and fame!
- How are season points calculated?
- Each player will receive:
- 2 points for event participation
- 3 points per match win
- 1 point for top 4/8 appearance
- How are pairings, standings, and tiebreakers calculated?
- DCI-Reporter is used to create pairings and standings. The tiebreakers are all calculated automatically using the official DCI system.
- For each bye or match win you are awarded 3 points.
- The second column, OMW%, is your opponents match win percentage. This means the better your opponent's do in the following rounds the higher you will be in the final standings.
- The third column, PGW%, is your game win percentage and considers your match results of 2-0, 2-1, 1-2, or 0-2. This is how well you did in each match.
- The fourth column, OGW%, is based on all of your opponents game wins and losses.
- How do I collect my top 8 prizes?
- The top eight prizes are usually only awarded if there is an actual top 8 playoff. If prizes are being awarded for the week the host will let you know when they have been added to the __Yawgmoth__ Prize Pool account. Once they have been added you can open a trade at any time and collect your prizes through the bot.
- How do I collect my top 4 prizes?
- Top 4 prizes are automatically added to you accounts on the specified bot chain usually right after the event. Simply trade with one of our bots and select the cards that you would like.
- If you have any more questions please feel free to pm me, ask at our event, or reply to this thread.
If you are caught in any unsportsmanlike conduct in or out of a game (i.e. being rude to the host, being rude to another player, cheating, failure to report your drop etc.), you will receive a warning and may be dropped from the tournament. Your name will be placed on a warning list for four(4) weeks. If, during that four weeks, you are caught in any unsportsmanlike conduct again and your name is on the warning list you will be suspended for the duration of the current season or the current season and the following season if we are past event 10. If you have been suspended before you will instead be banned. "Unsportsmanlike conduct" is at the discretion of the host; all decisions are final.
When redeeming credit you are NOT allowed to take tickets. If it is found that you have redeemed your bot credit for tickets your name will be placed on the prize redemtion warnning list for the first offense with possible banning from the event for a second offense. Please only redeem your credits for cards or boosters. Thanks!
Prize Redemption Warning List:
- BYOS EVENT LINKS:
- Season 3/4 Master Document
- Season 4 Schedule
- Season 4 Points
- Season 3 Schedule
- Season 3 Points
- Season 2 Master Document
- Season 2 Schedule
- Season 2 Points
- Season 1 Master Document
- Season 1 Points
- Prize Pool
- BYOS DECKLISTS:
- Deck Discussion forum for BYOS
Season 3 Top 4 Metagame Decklists
- Season 2 Top 4 Metagame Decklists
- Season 1 Top 4 Metagame Decklists
- Decklists from the Invitational (Dated)
- ARTICLES AND VIDEOS:
- Lord Ermans Season 3 Wrap Up: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Finale (Puremtgo)
Season 2 Finale Tournament Report (Puremtgo)
- Lord Erman's Season 2 wrap up (Puremtgo)
- BYOS Set and Deckbuilding Guide: Part 1 | Part 2 (Puremtgo)
- Lord Eraman's Season 1 Championsship Overview (Puremtgo)
- Lord Erman's deck and format overview (Puremtgo)
- Ranth's deck overview and games (mtgoAcademy)
- Zwick's format intro and game (mtgoAcademy)
- platipus10 format overview (Puremtgo)
- Article from BDM (Dated)
- MaRo's format intro (Dated)
- CLAN YAWGMOTH:
- Clan Yawgmoth Group
- Clan Yawgmoth Forums
- Clan Yawgmoth Trade Network
- Clan Yawgmoth Prize Pool
All will be one!