Fans of D&D Miniatures, rejoice?

114 posts / 0 new
Last post

If your like me you probably already have a wide spectrum of D&D dragon minis, but I still see alot of promise in this new product. I would like to see them released more than once per year!!

docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:hBb_N...

I will be picking one up for sure, just wanted to share with everyone else. I appologize if someone has already posted this, I don't check these forums everyday.

Will be large dragon I guess´.

We'll let's see how they look like. There last large red dragon was just ugly

Thanks for posting! I absolutely loved the last 'Beholder Collector's Set' and look forward to this one!

I expect a new green dragon as the previous one looked rather underwhelming - at least the one modelled after the 4e art, the one in War of the Dragon Queen looked great.

Hoping for the old red dragon as it's very hard to come by.

Both black dragons look great and I'd be happy with either!

The white dragon also looks good, and the same is for both blues.
I am personally hoping for a new sculpt of White Dragon. The Huge one from "Against the Giants" was awesome, but I would really like to see a new large sized one. The White from "Night Below" set was rather small, I would like to see an Adult White thats a bit larger.

I am torn on my preference for the other colors. I have two different sculpts of large sized Black Dragons from the Unhallowed and Demonweb sets so I am not particularly excited about getting another one of those, and I can't see myself getting excited about having a third sculpt. Although I can probably get some good use out of a second Green or Blue, I would most like to see a variation of an Adult Red.
5 non random.... I bet they are all the chromatic ones
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
I loved the beholder set... so here's hoping...
5 non random.... I bet they are all the chromatic ones

Yup.  That's what it says in the link in the OP.  Smile

This product is a very smart move for WotC. A lot of DM's I know have embraced the switch to tokens (cheaper and easier to store/transport) but they still like to use minis for important encounters. Pretty much every dragon encounter is going to be important. Also a lot of players and non-D&D players would like to have dragons for their bookshelf.

This product will be a best seller.
Ths is good news to me also.
I'll be looking for more special sets like that.
I think it's probably the best move they could make right now miniature-wise.

2 new sculpts, and re-using 3 existing ones probably makes the product cheaper to produce and still give incentive to buy for those who have all the miniatures already.

I can easily see a "Demons and Devils" set, or other thematic set making it's way to us in the future. Lots of ways to reuse some sculpts and add-in 1 or 2 new models.
-Realize You are your own source of all Creation, of your own master plan.
I'd love to see an Orcs and Goblins set. Something with a number of foot and mounted troops with a new Orc Chief and maybe an Idle of Gruumsh(sp?)
they told us the beholders set featured new sculpts too, and we got repaints, i hope this time they mean actual sculpts
Meh, I'll rejoice when they reinstate the DDM line.
I'd love to see an Orcs and Goblins set. Something with a number of foot and mounted troops with a new Orc Chief and maybe an Idle of Gruumsh(sp?)

Yes, I would also like to see the sizes mixed up on the set. Larges are always great, but it would be cool to mix in some awesome Medium Size. I am okay with the idea of repaints if the sculpts are good. I also think that throwing in a Huge can't be all that bad.

Awesome news. Love chromatic dragons.

I wish they would do a limited boxed release that has the following races for us players to use:

Wilden, Vryloka, Shade, a new Genasi, a Shardmind Martial Class and a Githzerai.
Funny thing: I bought a D&DM starter set just for the green dragon yesterday
Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png
This is the type of model Wizards SHOULD be embracing in regards to DDM and how to market them.
i bought the Beholders as well and was pleased with the content.

it's been mentioned  multiple times in this (and many other DDM) threads here that a horde pack should be done like this. i absolutely agree with this.

each set should be 30 figures each , has at least 4 mounted (2 large, 2 small), 2 leader types. and 5 monsters related
example of themes that could be done:

Orc & Golbins :
5 goblin grunt types       1 worgs
3 goblin range types       2 wolves
2 mounted goblin
1 magic type goblin
1 goblin leader/ chief

5 orc grunts     2 fiendidh dire lions
3 orc range
2 mounted orcs
1 orc champion
1 orc mystic
1 orc leader
------------------30 figures...roughly 39.99 msrp
 other themes:

Underdark
Drow Stronghold
City Set (badly needed)

you get the idea.

just my thoughts.
-star26
Very much agreed.

Basically, the minis component from the board games, without all the extra board-game-related gumf.  I'd be happy with them unpainted, that must be a hugely expensive part of the DDM process.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
This is the type of model Wizards SHOULD be embracing in regards to DDM and how to market them.
i bought the Beholders as well and was pleased with the content.

it's been mentioned  multiple times in this (and many other DDM) threads here that a horde pack should be done like this. i absolutely agree with this.

each set should be 30 figures each , has at least 4 mounted (2 large, 2 small), 2 leader types. and 5 monsters related
example of themes that could be done:

Orc & Golbins :
5 goblin grunt types       1 worgs
3 goblin range types       2 wolves
2 mounted goblin
1 magic type goblin
1 goblin leader/ chief

5 orc grunts     2 fiendidh dire lions
3 orc range
2 mounted orcs
1 orc champion
1 orc mystic
1 orc leader
------------------30 figures...roughly 39.99 msrp
 other themes:

Underdark
Drow Stronghold
City Set (badly needed)

you get the idea.

just my thoughts.
-star26

Very much agreed.

Basically, the minis component from the board games, without all the extra board-game-related gumf.  I'd be happy with them unpainted, that must be a hugely expensive part of the DDM process.

Ive been thinking of how they can do this and I think these two posts are it.
Ive been buying the hero scape D&D packs when I can find them becasue they are 3-7 minis in a single theme, and for 12-15(Canadian) dollars thats very good. but to be able to look at my collection and know I have a well rounded set, without having to run all over the place looking for individual minis, or risking my war hammer minis in a dnd game (rough players) would be amazing.

I like tokens, but Ive been using minis and just can't make the switch. When I have a skeleton minon be a mini, and a black dragon be a token, it just doesn't feel right.

I can paint minis but I would pay an extra 20 to have them painted for me, even if its not the best job...
In the Nentir Vale, all injured creatures are required to wear a name tag!
exactly...
i don't understand this "either or" mentality that wizards has adopted in regards to catering to their consumer base. it doesn't have to be new or established clientale, but a mix if both. so fine, leave the minis unpainted, i can deal with that. but to try to forced older vets (like myself) to revert back to tokens / pogs after investing in mins? ridicolous!

i'd rather give my money to a third party instead (even metal) if that's the case.

my personal opinion, whoever in charge of both marketing, and game design needs to take a serious repositioning of how the line is being handled.

just my take;
-Star26
Couldn't agree more with you, Star26!

I wish Wizards would release their new products to cater to new and old players alike. For instance, release the new books (such as Gloomwrought or Monster Vault) as both a combined Hardcover book for old players as well as a box set with all those tokens and cards for new players.
Couldn't agree more with you, Star26!

I wish Wizards would release their new products to cater to new and old players alike. For instance, release the new books (such as Gloomwrought or Monster Vault) as both a combined Hardcover book for old players as well as a box set with all those tokens and cards for new players.

or, as mentioned before, a "scenario pack" in which , adventure, tiles and needed minis could be included into one  product.

sadly, it probably won't happen.
I don't know if anyone remembers this, but WAY back when they first started the plastic minis, there were two sets of minis that were solicited that were going to be just "general monsters." One IIRC was going to be an orcs set, I cna't remember the other. They were pulled from pre-order status just after DragonEye was released...
I would love to see minis make a full recovery in some form or another. Love the idea of non random sets of monsters but I doubt there'll be large sets of 30 like some have suggested. An encounter pack is much more sensable, 5 or 6 monsters with a good range of roles. if you want an army buy another pack or two. I'd also love to see player minis return. I know PHB heroes was largely unsuccessful due to the quality of the minis. Most players would just get the one mini out of the box they wanted from ebay or some other seller but if the makers of these products chose their figures more carefully I'm sure more players would be interested in buying them. I also think player minis would sell better if they included more of the misfit races which seem to have few or no minis to support them. wilden, shardmind, deva, etc. vryloka and shades though new races might not need new minis right away. shades are basically humans and you could use just about any vampire or human figure for a vryloka, though i would like to see a vryloka paladin with flowing red hair and gold armor like in HoS, so not saying they don't need to made into minis just that until then players of shades and vryloka have some options. By the way, @ hunterian7, just curious not trying to be mean but what martial class were you thinking a shardmind might be good at? But seriously if they put out hero minis again in sets of three like before and at least one of those minis was one of these oddball races like a thri-kreen or wilden or mul (I could go on and on) I'm sure many would be interested also they'd sell better if they weren't bundled by power source.
It definately would be very feasible for them to go with a nice set pack to make it easier for dm's to get sets for campaigns or have packs oriented to monsters seen in various modules... prolly won't do it...but one can dream yes?

hope these dragons tho are something new!
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
so,  set suggestion w/ 30 mins wouldn't be accepted , but just 5/6 pack would? (especially when that model was tried and failed miserably? I fail to see the logic.

i believe ppl would by the larger sets in order to fill races / adventures. over that small number.

and yes, i actually do recall that proposed Orc set. and didn't understand why it never came to light (just like how i'm still baffled that streets of shadows didn't either)

but if wizards wants me to spend money on other companies' products, sure, i'll oblige them.
*shrugs*

-Star26
30 minis just seems like overkill and would cost alot. if you didnt like all the minis in the box set it wouldnt be worth it. if i didnt want all of them i wouldnt get it. a smaller pack built around a single encounter would make much more sense. players handbook heroes failed because most of the minis sucked and the cost of the sets were too high considering most packs were one good mini and two crappy ones. but if they used that approach on encounter building i bet DMs would buy them. many DMs i know have already gone and bought the heroscape minis because they do just that. a bunch of monsters with a theme.

would you buy a box with 1 kobold wympriest, 1 dragon wyrmling, 1 kobold slinger, 1 kobold dragonshield and 2 kobold skirmishers
would you then maybe also buy a pack with 4 kobold minions and an extra slinger and dragonshield if you were really interested in running a dungeon that featured kobolds... heck the dragon wyrmling mentioned in the first pack could be concealed and random. it seems like a really good idea to me. so just forget that everyone probably has tons of slingers by now thanks to lords of madness. maybe they can make a new sculpt. i just love kobolds and used them as an example.
Basically, make more Castle Ravenloft Board Game clones, just without all the tokens and cards.

Yea, I bought it just for the mini's, too.

Trouble is, I DIDN'T buy wrath of Ashardalon because I already had several of the minis. No rage drake, gibbering mouthers or grell for me because I didn't need more Orc archers, snakes and kobolds.
exactly my point! i didnt buy either of the board games because i already have some good dungeon board games. i'd be buying ravenloft or ashardalon simply for the minis and the price was not right for me. the store i game at even cracked open the board games and sold the minis and tiles individually because the boxes werent selling.
ok Egg,
valid point, perhaps 30 mins is overkill so let's agree and a rational number i say 1o is enough for $29.99 then, i could work with that.

as far as the board games, i'm in the same boat, too many remakes of figures i don't jve and really if i wanted to do a dungoen romp,i'd just bust out the materials i have (books, tiles, minis, etc.)

-Star26
While that sounds awesome; it will never happen.

I think you and I are about to eat some MAJOR crow.
It looks like someone HAS listened to our cries, and sadly it Wizards biggest rival now!

wizkidsgames.com/blog/2011/05/25/paizo-a...

So, Wizards, how did you allow it to come to this?
You not only create your biggest rival to your Licence, but not they' have teamed up with your biggest Minis game Rivals as well (Wizkids)

while i don't normally call for heads because of this economy, but man someone need to pay for letting it get to this!

Oh yes, I am Absolutely buying these too!
-Star26

I have found a photograph displaying all four of the miniatures that is soon to be released by Paizo, and they look fantastic.

Well the masters are fairly good. What do the the run of the mill painted by 10-y.o. chinese children ones look like?

Can I 'Like' a comment here?

I have found a photograph displaying all four of the miniatures that is soon to be released by Paizo, and they look fantastic.

nice find there Z!

those are very nicely done...can't wait!
C'mon WotC, you can do it!  i know plastic is made from oil and the economy could be better and the Chinese government is being akin to a Tyrant, but you can do it! 

1) You have more money from Encounters.

2) You have more money from DDI.

3) you have more money from not spending it on increased production
(less products are coming out).

So please make minis again!

~Teo
C'mon WotC, you can do it!  i know plastic is made from oil and the economy could be better and the Chinese government is being akin to a Tyrant, but you can do it! 

~Teo

Agreed, However I believe that the new miniature sets should be released annually instead of every 3 months. This is mainly due to the state of the economy, if nothing else.  

~Teo

Agreed, However I believe that the new miniature sets should be released annually instead of every 3 months. This is mainly due to the state of the economy, if nothing else.  

True, either a SET once a year or Boxed Sets ala the Beholders and Dragons 2 least twice a year ;)

~Teo
are these paizo minis on 1in bases? that'll be the clincher for me. they look really great (and yes they dont always look great i used to collect mageknight and heroclix) but if the bases of the minis are even slightly larger than 1in wide I wont use them. I've been there too many times. someone brings an oddball mini to the table and it offsets the whole encounter. not that i wouldnt allow a player to use the mini they want just that combat can get confusing when everyone is clustered arround the guy with the slightly larger base.

I'm thinking of getting a set of super dungeon minis, they're just so damn cute!!!
I'll be buying my first Paizo purchase here. I now have to turn to another company for what WotC should be releasing. Let us just hope these four do well so Paizo will release a monster minaiture's line. If Paizo releases a staple miniature set yearly...
Wow. Interesting. At least someone is taking up the slack...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
I'll be buying my first Paizo purchase here. I now have to turn to another company for what WotC should be releasing. Let us just hope these four do well so Paizo will release a monster minaiture's line. If Paizo releases a staple miniature set yearly...

the GameMastery Combat Pad has been my lone paizo purchase, and i can't sing it's praises high enough. after seeing mine in action at my FLGS, every GM that runs in the store ordered one as well. it's a shame i had to go outside wotc to find such a stellar item.

the above is just an initiative tracker, fairly small item in the overall scheme. it's going to be hard moving outside of DDM for minis going forward, and these paizo minis (if they take off) might just fill that void for me. as a D&D collector, it sucks to have to go outside the brand to find gaming materials.
Bane of Gnomes. "An angel of snuggles is a bad match for evil gods." -Mike Mearls (Worlds&Monsters, p.72)

the GameMastery Combat Pad has been my lone paizo purchase, and i can't sing it's praises high enough. after seeing mine in action at my FLGS, every GM that runs in the store ordered one as well. it's a shame i had to go outside wotc to find such a stellar item.

the above is just an initiative tracker, fairly small item in the overall scheme. it's going to be hard moving outside of DDM for minis going forward, and these paizo minis (if they take off) might just fill that void for me. as a D&D collector, it sucks to have to go outside the brand to find gaming materials.

I agree, I know there are a lot of people to whom the game is rules or a feel, but to me it is also a collection. Im not in a game right now but I still keep up with all hte books and still want to expand my mini and tile collections becasue I like to have everything, and I like to have it all be offcial D&D brand.
To me its just about aspect of the game I can enjoy, and its why I hate having to go else where for items and why I hate the changing formats of books and tokens.