D&D 4E: What Works, What Fails? (Obsolete Thread)

21 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey Folks;

It’s agonizing self-appraisal time in the D&D reeducation camp. Mike Mearls has asked for a list of issues that players see as problems with 4E. No group of people is better equipped to compile that list than all of you.

We’re only interested in the D&D rules right now—what’s broken, what’s underpowered? What change would get you to play an unloved class or race, or to pick a feat or power that no one uses? Whose damage is too low, whose basic attack is rubbish, which secondary effect doesn’t work as written? Let’s collect them all here, where they’ll be easy to find and compile.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Hellish Rebuke and Warlocks in general...

HR needs clarification about how it works. The Q&A forum recently decided that the extra damage is Extra as defined by the Rules compendium. This severely limits it's effectiveness as a big damage power.

Better Wording: Until the end of your next turn, the first time you take damage the target takes additional damage...blah blah.

I've heard that Warlocks in general will recieve some kind of modification shortly, but to be a viable striker class...

I'd like to see the very effective ranger model applied to an Arcane chassis (meaning Minor Action and other non standard attacks and multi attack powers), but that isn't a small project, and implementation/fluff of such an idea would be... Oh I don't know, I'm just tossing it out there.

BTW, in addition to altering wording of HR, a 2nd level At-Will Warlock utility to inflict damage on oneself for say...Power bonus to ___? would do wonders for increasing Infernal Warlock effectiveness at lower levels, but in my mind such a power shouldn't scale well, leaving the warlock to look for something else by low paragon, when other means become available.
Lolth Meat (and several other +feat bonus to saving throws): Sucked before, and is utterly useless now that Resilent Focus is out.

Kulkor Master at Arms Pargon Path: Smite the fallen: Way to easy to double your damage with this feature, especially with the MBA based classes.

Spark Slippers (and "when you enter" zones in general): When you can get slide's up to 40, it's really a 1-hit kill.  Even something as low as Cloud of Daggers can be rocketed up.

Raven's Consort: Cumulitive bonus to defense and DTS.  Seriously, Cumulitive bonus.

Stacking Multi-type Vulnerabilities: Not only very confusing rules wise, but easy to add massive damage.

Rune of Unyielding Steel (runepriest 6): Possibly the worse power in the game.

Improved Tome of Readiness: Making a daily util as an encounter power is too much.

White Lotus Master Riposte: Shouldn't be allowed to mix with defender's aura's.

Avenging Spirit/Martial Mastery (?): Havn't seen it abused yet, but giving someone access to infinite Action Points is dangerous.  A simple once per encounter would prevent it.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

...couldn't you take some time and read up yourselves?  There's a lot already out there in CharOp.

The first issue which strikes me is poor scaling of attack powers without the weapon or implement keyword.  In particular, a lot of racial attack powers scale at ability +2/4/6 per tier (cf: Dragonbreath, Dragonfear), whereas the standard taking into account the necessity of Expertise to meet expected accuracy standards would be +3/6/9 (cf: Thri-kreen claws).  This is true of a lot of PP powers in particular, which were intended to be usable by any class, and therefore aren't Weapon or Implement specific.  It's particularly a problem when those powers don't key off the attack stat of the class concerned, when their accuracy scales so poorly that they are basically useless.  This bugs me particularly because it's such an easy fix.  Racial attack powers in general seem to have been overlooked in the stat updates as well, a few powers could do with being based on any of the race's key stats, rather than just one or two.

Another major issue is that classes which weapons-as-implements or a combination of weapon and implement (particularly Paladins, Avengers, Swordmages, but many, many others) suffer because the Essentials Expertise feats (aside from Staff and now, with HoS, Ki Focus) do not account for the fact that these classes need an Expertise bonus to both weapon AND implement in order for their accuracy to scale effectively.  Currently, they are stuck either using the old Versatile Expertise, which scales 4 levels later than Essentials Expertise feats and without the extra bonuses from those feats, or taking two feats to other classes' single feat.  A solution could be to make a new version of Versatile Expertise, with a proviso that you only gain feat bonuses from both chosen expertises, but only one of the two riders (allowing for multi-weapon users, too), or a simple blanket Expertise providing a feat bonus to all Weapon AND Implement attacks, possibly even without any riders, but scaling at 11 rather than 15.

The free action attack limit rule.  It makes sense for it to exist, but it hampers some classes more than it needs to.  The Power Strike errata went some way towards fixing that (making certain damage boosters no- rather than free-action) but several more remain unfixed, including Holy Smite for the Cavalier, and Dread Smite for the newly-published Blackguard.  A simple and effective solution could be to allow one free action attack PER SOURCE per turn, rather than just one per turn.

Please, PLEASE publish some kind of clarification as to whether O-Paladins can take Call Celestial Steed.  It's one of the most commonly asked questions on these boards in recent months, and there are compelling arguments both ways (principally coming down to 'the power is Paladin Utility 4, therefore by the RAW, it can be taken by any Paladin in a Utility 6 or above slot' versus ;the power is granted by a class feature and thus not available to those who do not get that class feature' - however, the latter argument seems to fail because of the many cases where levelled powers granted by class features can be taken by characters without the class feature in question - Half-Elves with Dilettante, for instance.  I'd personally prefer the answer to be that they can, because it's a cool power that allows cool stuff to be done by any number of classes, and restricting it to the Cavalier when a multiclass for it is unavailable wrecks that.  But I'd take a simple yes-or-no clarification to avoid the arguments.

The Compendium in general.  Many, many entries (including that of Call Celestial Steed above) deviate from the printed/published material.  It would be brilliant if those could be checked and remedied.

The Shade.  Frankly, it sucks, and the justifications posted in Ro3 are weak at best.  As a race it is weaker by far than the Eladrin even without its racial penalty.  There are threads galore discussing this issue, and I really can't be bothered typing out all the details in fulls.  Suffice it to say, the race would probably need comprehensive redesigning to make it competitive.

Underpowered classes: the biggies are the Runepriest, Artificer and Seeker, mostly due to lacking competitive power selections, but feats and PPs are also problematic.  The Sorcerer also lacks strong PPs, as do several other classes about which I'm sure others will go into more detail.

EDIT: a biggie: definition and clarification of the terms 'attack', 'attack power' (as the two terms are used more or less interchangeably in some places, and it becomes very confusing when multi-attacks, bursts and blasts are in the picture, 'extra damage', 'wielding' versus 'holding' and 'using' etc etc etc.

Another biggie that rules Q&A have been arguing about without resolution since i joined the forums: how do multiple damage types interact with multiple resists and vulnerabilities?  For instance, if I attack a target which has vulnerable 5 fire and resist 5 cold with a power that does 10 cold and fire damage, how much damage does the target take?  What about a power that does 5 cold and 5 fire damage?  What about resist all and specific resists?  If I attack a target with resist 5 fire anf resist 5 all, with an attack dealing 5 fire and 5 untyped damage, does it take 5 damage or no damage?  This is an issue which comes up frequently, and is basically down to the DM to house rule his own interpretation.

EDIT: clarification of how the new changes to the Revenant interact with the existing material would be good too.  Unnatural Vitality dazes you.  The two feats which add actions when you're below 0 at paragon and epic - do they still work?  What about the pre-existing Soul feats?  Do they still work?  DO they stack with Past Soul - can I take Elf Soul and Past Soul to get two uses of Elven Accuracy?  What about Half-Elf Soul to get DIlettante and Past Soul to get Knack for Success on the same character?

RE-RE-RE-EDIT: Another big, big, big one that makes the game a huge amount more complicated, and more likely to trip up the newer player: obsolete feats.  They need removing, or errating to make them useful again.  For instance:
* Any feat bonus to saves below +2 is obsoleted by Resilient Focus.
* Any feat bonus to attack rolls below +1/2/3 per tier is obsoleted by Expertise (unless you're using a weaplement, of course...)
*Most feat bonuses to defences are obsoleted by Improved Defences.
*Etc.

In general, the lack of multiclass and hybrid options for recently-published classes.

I predict that this thread will get very long, and very heated, very quickly.  There's an AWFUL lot of material out there, including various threads of these sorts of specific unanswered questions.  If I find the time I'll post some key links.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
General issues:

Multiple instances of damage from a zone in a given turn based on entering or exiting the zone. Reducing this damage to once per round limits this sort of abuse, and makes sense from an IC perspective (right now, you get hurt more from entering and exiting a Wall of Fire than you do for remaining there the whole time).

Untyped damage bonuses (especially from magic items). Many of the biggest damage-per-round characters get their high damage from using multiple items which give bonuses to damage that lack a type. Examples include dragonshards, Resplendent Gloves, and charge-modifiers, such as Horned Helm and Vanguard Weapons. Recently, mellored posted a wizard wielding a gouge that could average over 100 damage each round by charging - this gives a fairly good example of how a very poor class for charging can still put out more damage than many unoptimized strikers.

Things which increase damage that isn't linked to damage rolls. Anything that deals extra damage, rather than giving a bonus to damage rolls, can be used with attacks that don't require an attack roll (such as Magic Missile) or attacks that explicitly lack a damage roll (such as Brutal Barrage). This includes things like Headsman's Chop and vulnerability-inflicters such as the Morninglord paragon path and Lasting Frost. I'm not saying that vulnerability enhancers are inherently broken, but that they need to be considered in light of anything which inflicts damage without an attack roll or damage roll.

Specific issues:
Kulkor Arms Master's level 16 feature gives an extra attack for a fairly easy to satisfy condition. Extra attacks increase damage much faster than damage bonuses because they effectively double most existing damage bonuses. It would be better to provide a large bonus to damage rather than granting an extra attack.

These are probably my top 4 items. I'd also like to see more options available for most of the non-PHB classes, such as swordmage, artificer, and assassin, and for the non-psionic PHB3 classes.

I'm probably not the best-qualified person in this forum to spout off, but I suppose I'll do it anyway. ;)

First up would be the math taxes, definitely. The Essentials ____ Expertise feats took a bit of the sting off (unless you're a Swordmage or dagger Sorcerer...), but they're still required feats that eat up a limited resource in absolutely every build that pretends at being effective.

Second would be some of the undersupported classes. Number one on my personal list would be the Runepriest, which has a cool mechanic attached and even mostly good powers, but not a lot of support. The Rune feats they get are almost universally underwhelming. They don't substitute for "real" class feats and they definitely don't make up for being the only divine class that can't benefit from any of the Domain feats (which, granted, are a mixed bag in themselves). I think a lot of people would also cite the Seeker as a class that needs some love.

Third? I think the cost of properly multiclassing is too high. The implement restrictions are gone, at least, which is fabulous, but the feat expense (about which, see point one) of power swapping means basically nobody does it anyway. People multiclass to grab stuff like Polearm Momentum or nice Paragon Paths, not to swap powers. Maybe that's intentional, maybe not, I don't know, but I don't really see the reason why power swapping costs so many feats when you've already got the opportunity costs (losing powers from the base class) and attribute dependencies (unless you're a Bard) to worry about.

Fourth, more melee classes need in-class MBAs, even if they're just through feats. Battleminds are kind of the poster children for this, but it's somewhat annoying for melee Bards, too. Melee Training isn't really a viable option because a) it got nerfed and b) see point one. In addition to keeping non-STR melee classes from having good OAs, though, it also hurts hybrids disproportionally because many hybrid features explicitly only work for class powers. So hybrid Fighters can't mark when they make OAs or charge and hybrid Rogues can't get sneak attack when they make RBAs. Not broken, but it is silly and pointless.

Fifth, Half-Elves are the best choice for absolutely every single one of the basic attack-based martial classes. I don't know that this is "broken" so much as it is, I think, unintentionally hilarious. They're also exceptionally good choices for classes affected by point four, but I don't necessarily have a problem with that either. Just pointing out what I think, again, is an unintentional consequence of some of the design decisions made across 4e's lifespan.

Sixth, we're into pure "nice to have" territory, but it'd be kind of cool if archer characters had even a fraction of the weapon variety that melee characters do. And the Dark Sun stuff doesn't count, because they're all mechanically identical to base-D&D weapons, just sillier. (And they're all either thrown melee weapons or slings anyway.)
Oh! Alchemical items! I've never seen anybody use them in a game, because there's just no reason to. They're too expensive for what you get from them, just in general, and because they aren't keyworded as powers they don't interact with anything else your character is doing. Furthermore, because they come at fixed levels and have fixed attack bonuses, they're only really effective within relatively narrow level bands (and even then, just hope you don't face any monsters above your level).

And the fact that applying an alchemical item to ammunition completely overwrites all properties of the ranged weapon used to make the attack wouldn't matter if alchemical items themselves were implemented more sensibly, but on an aesthetic level I do find it kind of offensive.
Spinnig Axe Mastery: Needs to scale in order to be competitively usable after mid heroic.(Side Note: Hammer, Spear, Heavy Blade, Flail options would also be nice.)

Also Gauntlet Axe/Wrist Razors need to be fixed to either clearly work with or not work with Spinning Axe Mastery/Flashing Blade Mastery

Flails need more support in general mostly in the form of an expertise feat.
Show
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Kilpatds had been tracking a list of these broken and underpowered rules items before... did he stop doing that? If so, I suggest someone volunteer and use that thread as a template. A long thread is hard to follow. My suggestion: You really want that one guy that will monitor the thread and put together one or two posts summarizing and distilling what WotC should view. (And I call "not it" this time).

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

vampire - WAY too low striking ability to be a viable choice with its huge healing surge gimp, needs more power behind it in order to make the risk worth it. in addition there are no class feats period for the class, therefore it has no ability to increase its power further exept genaric means

assassin - the striker mechanics are way too low, the shroud needs to be upgraded and made to be in line with other striker powers.

charging - has gotten a little out of hand, avalanche weapons and vangaurd weapons with horned helms and the  high powered basic attacks of the newer classes, and the at wills usable on charges has made charging be the answer for almost every class that can rub an MBA together. my solution; type the bonuses of horned helm, avalanche weapons and vangaurd weapons so they do not stack. 

feats for new classes - the last set of books included no class or race specfic feats for the new builds and the new vampire class, this means they are stuck with using genaric means of making their character more powerful, (see charging) 

Feats for new races - vryloka and shades need racial feats, thats the diffrence between a monster race and a player race, they need flavor feats just to be there.

mounted combat rules - they need a good spot check, i like mounted combat alot but it is a little bit of a pain somtimes when you enter a situation not covered in the rules, like a dominated mount.

stunning - probably the worst mechanic in the game by far. the 100% worst thing that needs to go, it is boring and annoying to be stunned and watch other people play D&D for the next 20-40 minites, daze me, dominate me, slow me, immobalize me but for the love of god let me have a turn.

Rune preist - one of the cooler classes that you may find people playing more if it was supported at all.

Cavalier - this class makes 1 power choice by level 5, and one choice of virtue at level 1 and 1 choice of a crappy out of combat speed bonus and a awsome stted that is basicly a no brainer so by my count while other classes have made 7 power choices and 1, 2 or 3 class feature choices by that time, the cavalier has made 3, this is what turns me off about the class so much.

seeker - same as rune preist im a fan of it but never see it get any love 

unarmed expertise - for the monks, brawlers and people who want to fight unarmed, this would be good for them to have.

totem expertise - for the shamans mostly, but it is something that can be helped alot.

warlock - needs to have its curse damage be 1/turn like the rest of the striker mechanics are becoming, but i think this is already on the way just wanted to voice my opinion. 

i think thats it for now, stunning is by FAR the biggest problem on this list to me, stunning should be removed from D&D and as a DM i never stun my players because its plain not fun. 
Assault/Ensnaring Swordmages: The general concensus from the boards tends to be that Shielding Swordmage is the only viable build for a pure defender. The Assault Swordmage is way too reactive to be an effective defender as it neither modifies the marked target's attack, damage, or mobility. Making it an Immediate Interrupt would go a long way to fixing this. Ensnaring has potential but a severe lack of support.
Oh! Alchemical items! I've never seen anybody use them in a game, because there's just no reason to. They're too expensive for what you get from them....

Similarly, rituals. I don't think they are a "failure" of D&D 4E, but this seems like an underused option that could be touched up a bit and turned into something people sometimes occasionally do. :-)

I don't have a lot of experience with martial practices, but the mechanic of spending surges rather than cash really appeals to me as a caster. If money is a finite resource in a campaign, most rituals go into the "I'm never going to cast this" category.

Very happy to see this reach out to the community.  Here is a list of issues that I see commonly around these forums...

Call Celestial Steed: please clarify this power ASAP.  It has a level in the compiled issue allowing o-paladins to take it.  However, multiple CS rulings say that wasn't the develepors intent.  Further complicating matters is its lack of level in the CB and compendium.

Class Builds:  Certain class builds do not function nearly as intended or just do not have enough support to be worth taking.  Ensnaring swordmage is a huge example of a build that is just terrible.

Striker damage: Certain strikers (see warlock and assassin) have trouble fulfilling their role when played alongside the better classes.  Play an assassin at the same table as someone with a tuned ranger or rogue and you will not enjoy your character very much.  The lower classes need to be brought up, and  not have the upper classes brought down.

Controllers that aren't Wizards or Invokers: They need help in the form of better powers.  Invokers have some of the strongest encounter powers and an awesome at will.  Wizard dailies are beastly and a lot of fun.  They should be the shining example of where other controllers should be.

More options: Taking a tally of what are considered to be the most powerful of each role, it is the classes that have the most options.  Fighters, rangers, and warlords cover their roles as well as any other class.  Wizards are such good controllers they can be made into decent strikers that still dominate the battlefield.  Other classes need more options, especially the PHB2 and campaign classes.
EDIT: a biggie: definition and clarification of the terms 'attack', 'attack power' (as the two terms are used more or less interchangeably in some places, and it becomes very confusing when multi-attacks, bursts and blasts are in the picture, 'extra damage', 'wielding' versus 'holding' and 'using' etc etc etc.

Oh, jeeze, yeah. This. Sometimes, you can come to a "common sense" rule about these issues, but any such common sense application is by definition a house rule rather than rules-as-written. And that's before you account for common sense being, in reality, anything but.

This also reminds me that there's a general confusion around a lot of feats and features that grant opportunity attacks. The classic example here is Polearm Gamble and Aegis of Ensnarement. A Swordmage with a Glaive and Polearm Gamble teleports an enemy adjacent to him. Does Polearm Gamble override the general rule that teleportation doesn't grant OAs? It already overrides other restrictions on when characters can make OAs, so it's hard to say conclusively whether, by RAW, the attack happens.

Also, since Opportunity Attack was rewritten as a power, the text of all the previous feats and features that granted them have become somewhat ambiguous with regard to the action type of the granted attack. Using Polearm Gamble again, say a character with PG and Eldritch Strike slides an enemy adjacent. Is Polearm Gamble's OA a free action or an opportunity action? If the former, Eldritch Strike can be used to force a second attack via Polearm Gamble. Since Polearm Gamble doesn't specify an action, arguments have broken out over whether PG is assumed to be a granted free action attack or whether the action type specified in the Opportunity Attack power takes precedence.

Along the same lines, Harmony Blades also don't specify an action type for the granted MBA. It's assumed that the granted MBA is a free action, otherwise the property doesn't work, but then that means the Polearm Gamble example above is also a free action, which I don't think is intentional. (Yes, yes, intention is treated as unknowable during RAW debates, but here we're talking directly to the designers, so I think it's worth speculating for once.)
Oh! Alchemical items! I've never seen anybody use them in a game, because there's just no reason to. They're too expensive for what you get from them...

Similarly, rituals.

I don't think they are a failure of 4E, but they are an underused option.

Level 1 works.  If you toss together a level 1 character nearly randomly, you'll get a character that works in 4e D&D.  (or if you build a character for flavour reasons -- random is a baseline).

By mid-high levels, this is no longer the case.

If you build a paragon-tier striker and don't pick your feats and powers and paragon paths around being a striker, you'll be an ineffective striker.  It will happen gradually as you level up, but I've seen it happen in play.

---

The item system isn't working.  Often boring 3e style static items (instead of +6 to dex, +6 item bonus to damage) dominate, even if they are boring.

Items that both grant static bonuses and have interesting properties work very well.  Ie: if nearly every bracer had a +1 per tier item bonus to damage rolls, the "armbands of power" problem would fade.

This is one of the reasons why "random characters" fall behind by mid-high level.

---

Multiple-attack powers dominate damage output.  This isn't working: a 1[W] attack that swings twice is better than a 5[W] attack by the time you have a choice between them, but the balance used for powers values 5[W] over two 1[W] attacks.  The same goes for minor action/interrupt/free action attacks.

Multiple attack powers, especially triggered ones, cause problems with game speed.  They interrupt the flow of play, and have a higher "damage per second" cost.  (Damage being the timer against which combats end -- so powers/etc with low "damage per second" (not per round) corresponds to a long combat).

This is one of the reasons why "random characters" fall behind by mid-high level.  A "high damage" [5]W power is actually barely more damage than a 2[W] power by level 30 (3d12 = 19.5 extra damage against a level 30 monster is 7% of the monster's HP), while a 2[W] power compared to a 1[W] power at level 1 is actually larger (1d8 = 4.5 extra damage against a level 1 monster is 18% of the monster's HP).

---

Broad static feats are strong, as are narrow feats that the player can control the use of.  This leads to "I collect a set of feats to magnify one particular at-will power" effects.  This mixes with the power balance problem above, making "high single-hit damage encounter and daily" powers traps.

Feats should have both some broad effect and some narrow effect.  If you look at the "Superior Reflex" style feats in essentials -- those work wonderfully.  They provide a math patch and a flavourful situational benefit.

You could even take the "weapon expertise" feats and strip out the requirement to be using the weapon to get the feat bonus to attacks -- restrict the situational bonus to the weapon, while give a broad effect that is always on -- and they would work (probably better than they do now).

---

The shade failed.

1. More items rated as common in the current system.

2. More reasons to use non-heroic tier attacks if you are a Power-Point using class.

3. Redesigning 4E to place a bit less importance on "nova damage". A single character annihilating an even-level normal monster in one round (from full hit points), with no critical hits, is a bit too strong. It should require at least two characters to nova down an even-level regular monster in one round.

Kilpatds had been tracking a list of these broken and underpowered rules items before... did he stop doing that?

Nope, handbook of Broken still up, and maintained.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

The Seeker is one of the least supported classes. It suffers from very poor encounter power selection, and mediocre Daily selection. The fundamental problem is that the effects of their powers don't scale like other Controllers' powers do.

To demonstrate my point: At level 17, Druids can choose between an encounter power dominate, AoE forced movement, and a daze+slide. Invokers can AoE daze+immobilize or AoE blind. Seekers can apply a secondary mod hit penalty to two targets, or discourage an enemy to move. At level 27 Druids have an encounter stun+slide and AoE daze or immobilize, and Invokers get an AoE dominate.

Invokers get an AoE stun at level 1, and Seekers get their first stun (single-target) at level 29. There is a clear disparity in the level of control that these classes can apply, and that's without even comparing them to Wizards.

If the intent was to balance the Seeker's paltry control with higher damage, then the class is a failure. It does not deal significant damage. Including an extra 1d8 or 2d8 in a power does not make up for the loss of a daze or a blind or an immobilize.
The wiki of broken is here:  community.wizards.com/charop/wiki/Broken

I will add a couple of things as well....

Swordmages need a boost to their defender mechanism.  Assault swordmages do not do enough damage to be enough of a deterrent, especially since they are often forced to abandon the PC's battlelines to enforce their mark.  Ensnaring swordmages do virtually nothing at higher levels because CA is already so easy to get.  Shielding swordmages are the best of the bunch, but there is a danger that they slow down combat with their mechanism.  Swordmages also could use a boost to their damage.  The dice of swordmage damage is lacking compared to the other defender classes. 

Shamans need some clarification on how their spirit works.  Can you summon them in midair.  Can they move while floating. 

There is little balance in distribution of good feats.  The fighter's asurd number of feats is a good example.  Another example is that cleric, bard, and warlord each have a feat that allows them to heal twice in epic.  This is absurdly effective for any healing build, and means that leaders from any other class suffer a major disadvantage if they wish to be a healer type build.  As long as certain classes have the powerful feats, certain builds will be locked into those classes.

There are a lot of PPs and feats that are horribly underwhelming.  A circumstantial minor bonus to a defense or a skill or a one time per encounter use of CA or some other minor advantage (5 temp hp, +1 to +2 damage) is flavorful but cannot compete with the alternatives.  This is especially prevelant in racial feats.  Either these should be better or a new mechanic should be put into place allowing characters to gain them without denying them a real option. 

There should be at least 2 Paragon Paths per class that do nothing but support the primary role of that class.  Frequently the only PPs available are thematic with no role support or support the secondary role (sorcerers are a big offender here)

Skill challenges really need a more explicit exception for allowing role-playing to effect the role or create an auto-success (not just a circumstance bonus of +2).  Activities that would have promoted in-character responsiveness in earlier editions have devolved to die rolls in this edition.  Allowing and encouraging good role-play or a good idea to create auto-successes or massive boosts should be a staple in the rule books.  Instead, the best DMs use this methodology and DMs that do not know better run the skill challenges as if they were combat.

The rarity system will continue to be unusable as long as their are so few commons.

I personally would like to see a Primal/Divine/Arcane/Psionic Power 2 so that non-martial power levels have an opportunity to gain the same options as martial ones.

Terrain that favors the monsters should count in the XP budget, terrain that favors the PCs should reduce the XP in the budget. 

Just a start
Kilpatds had been tracking a list of these broken and underpowered rules items before... did he stop doing that?

Nope, handbook of Broken still up, and maintained.

Might be helpful to post the link here ;)

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Sign In to post comments