The Return of Group-Make-A-Deck!

137 posts / 0 new
Last post
What is Group-Make-A-Deck?

Group-Make-A-Deck, or GMAD is a group forum game that is essentially a large group of people creating a single deck.  This is done by posters nominating one card of any legal quantity (ex: 4x shock), then the next player suggesting another card to be included and that compliments previously named cards.  This activity not only provides a fun social experience, but it also gives you insight into different perspectives when building decks, and helps participants grow as deck builders.  

When creating a decklist, non-basic lands count as a card selection, but basic lands do not.  At any point, a poster may say they believe the deck has enough spells and any more will result in not enough lands to allow the deck to play successfully.  Try to keep this realistic, as a deck with 60 spells and 0 lands is not going to work unless specifically created to not need lands.  

As you are posting, it is customary and extremely helpful to repost the entire decklist.  This prevents a miscount of cards and accidently ignoring someone's input.  

GMAD isn't about making the best deck in the history of the game.  It's about creating a decklist that focuses on synergy and interactions between cards, and simultaneously expanding other posters card vocabulary, and general deck building skills.  Just remember to have fun!

Rules

1.  You must use [card] and [/card] tags on all card submissions.
     This is to both make it easier for everyone, and the less work, the more likely others are to return.

2.  You may only nominate a card selection once every 12 hours.
     This is to better stimulate more posters to contribute.

3.  Please explain all your card choices, regardless of how obvious you may think it may be.
     This will help produce both a better deck, and help others grow as deck builders.

4.  Please remember that this is a group project.  If someone posts Phyrexian Tyranny, you probably don't want to post Priest of Titania.  
     Keep decks as focused and unified as possible.

5.  You may post the same card someone previously posted if you believe there should be more copies of them.
     If someone posts 1x Duress, you may post 3x Duress

6.  Once a deck hits 60 cards, the deck is finished and the next card selection is the start of a new deck.
     Typically the first suggestion for a deck is something to build around, as opposed to utility like burn or discard.

7.  The card you suggest must be of a legal quantity, and must be Legacy legal.  
     Banned cards in Legacy are viewable here: Legacy Banned List

8.  Other banned cards include:
     -Burning Wish
     -Cunning Wish
     -Death Wish
     -Living Wish
     -Golden Wish
     -Glittering Wish
     -Battle of Wits

9.  The poster who originally suggested a card may at any point retract their selection if they realize a
       mistake they made, or if others sway them that it isn't the best choice of cards.  If you decide to
       retract a card, you MUST repost a full decklist of the current cards, minus the one you deleted
       so it is clear for everyone where the decklist currently stands.  
       Note: ONLY the poster who suggested the card may retract it.

Deck discussion is strongly encouraged.  However, it is important to remember this is a game, and an exercise to improve each others deck building abilities.  Attacking others for choices you disagree with is not fun for anyone and doesn't accomplish anything.

Casual Play Archetypes | The Casual Play FAQ: A Guide to the Game of Magic | The Return of Group-Make-A-Deck!

Contributions are welcomed!

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

Casual Play Archetypes | The Casual Play FAQ: A Guide to the Game of Magic | The Return of Group-Make-A-Deck!

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

Card Selection: Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Why: It provides three different effects which all can be used in different ways, depending on how others wish to go.

Decklist:
Lands:

Creatures:
4x Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Other Spells:

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

4x Transguild Courier

2 mana for a 3/3 with Augustin out is not very sexy but it works.  Also combos nicely with any pitch cards.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

Generation=0

My greatest problem with these threads is that people suggesting engine cards or simply cards that demand lots of dedication are the ones that are deciding which direction we're choosing, and other people are forced to follow because they can't remove cards from the deck! Here, I don't really like Transguild Courier because it's not effective and only becomes mediocre when our key card has already entered play, but I can't remove any of the four copies from the deck, right? Now other people are forced to come up with syngeries so that Transguild Courier won't end up as random, unnecessary and completely unimportant four-of in the finished decklist.. So yeah, let's see if I can come up with something that has synergy with both of these cards!
My greatest problem with these threads is that people suggesting engine cards or simply cards that demand lots of dedication are the ones that are deciding which direction we're choosing, and other people are forced to follow because they can't remove cards from the deck! Here, I don't really like Transguild Courier because it's not effective and only becomes mediocre when our key card has already entered play, but I can't remove any of the four copies from the deck, right? Now other people are forced to come up with syngeries so that Transguild Courier won't end up as random, unnecessary and completely unimportant four-of in the finished decklist.. So yeah, let's see if I can come up with something that has synergy with both of these cards!

Finding ways to work around cards is the entire point of the exercise and game.  It's not supposed to be easy and obvious what cards you put in.  That's the fun of it.  Bun is a better deckbuilder than I am, and I consider myself a fairly experienced one myself.  She provided a card that not only specifically worked with the original card, but also opened the door for even more cards to work with it.  These decks aren't going to win any competitions any time soon, it's about creativity and learning about deck building.

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

I know, I know, but this is pretty hard: There are four copies of Transguild Courier, so it must be very important for this deck and we want to draw it every time.. Also, we have to make sure that it's not a "win-more" card but rather another engine card, and I don't have any good ideas! My greatest concern is the she has set tremendous restrictions on what this deck is going to do, and that is the problem most of the time: The person that's posting the starting card and the person after that decide what deck we're building, not the community.. So yeah, I don't know!
So up to now we have a legendary creature with cost reduction effects and an artifact creature, i'll put 4 Etherium Sculptor on top of that, resulting in:

4 Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
4 Transguild Courier
4 Etherium Sculptor

A question on the rules though: wouldn't it be better to first run a non-land construction round stopping at 36-38 cards and then a manabase-building-round to fill up to 60? Don't see anybody wanting to waste their once in 12h picks on lands, and even if they would it'll probably be some whacky effect lands that don't build a good mana base.
Hmmm. Grand Arbiter also acts as a prison effect. Continuing with the artifact theme:
4 Scepter of Dominance
My trade thread http://community.wizards.com/marketplace/go/thread/view/94957/22369033?sdb=1&post_num=1#389455421
Oh boy, now we reduce the cost of artifact spells and of blue/white spells.. If we don't want to have lots of anti-synergy, we have to run some more colored artifacts, and they should be able to profit from having more than one of the cost-reducers in play since we're running eight such cards, and maybe something that can be played more than once: Enigma Sphinx! Edit: I have just seen that Lim-Dul added a three-mana card with two mana symbols of the same color! So yeah, here I just ruined your mana base, no need to thank me..

4 Transguild Courier
4 Etherium Sculptor
4 Scepter Of Dominance
2 Enigma Sphinx
4 Droning Bureaucrats. These little buggers can lock down tokens with ease, and are good for stopping most fast creatures...seeing as how they are usually low cost. Plus, with cards like scepter of dominance, it can lock down most creatures.

4 Transguild Courier
4 Etherium Sculptor
4 Scepter Of Dominance
2 Enigma Sphinx
4 Droning Bureaucrats
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
My card is Ethersworn Canonist because it is an artifact, as well as white and has a good controllish effect and fits all the themes touched so far.  The manacurve is getting a bit chunky, and it also helps lower it a little.

Lands:

Creatures:
4 Transguild Courier
4 Etherium Sculptor
2 Enigma Sphinx
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Droning Bureaucrats

Other Spells:
4 Scepter Of Dominance

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

My card is 4x Chrome Mox.  It has great synergy with transguild courier, and with all of the colored mana symbols in casting costs, the applications are obvious.  A first turn Canonist/Sculptor is also obviously a great play.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

Chrome mox actually has no good synergies with transguild courier, nor with the deck:

When Chrome Mox  comes into play you may remove a NONARTIFACT .......

Oh boy, now we reduce the cost of artifact spells and of blue/white spells.. If we don't want to have lots of anti-synergy, we have to run some more colored artifacts, and they should be able to profit from having more than one of the cost-reducers in play since we're running eight such cards, and maybe something that can be played more than once: Enigma Sphinx! Here, I just ruined your mana base, no need to thank me..

4 Transguild Courier
4 Etherium Sculptor
4 Scepter Of Dominance
2 Enigma Sphinx

Also, while enigma sphinx can be worked into the base well, I feel like you didn't even really try.  Purposely screwing up the manabase is not going to help anything.

Which is why I chose a card that synergizes well with Mr. Arbiter as well as Chrome Mox, which I'm honestly surprised no one chose.  Courier with mox gets the arbiter out quickly and makes the mana more stable, and once the arbiter is in play, he becomes an efficient vanilla beater.

Enigma Sphinx is almost uncastable in Legacy, even with cost reducers in play.  If there is any obvious synergy with him that you had in mind (aside from adding a color to the mana base for no reason,) please let us know.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

Just verifying that we plan on sticking with Chrome Mox before posting my card.
My trade thread http://community.wizards.com/marketplace/go/thread/view/94957/22369033?sdb=1&post_num=1#389455421
How am I supposed to fix the mana base when I'm not allowed to do that for the next 12 hours? Later in the game, we'll have access to black mana, and we can start mana-fixing on the first turn because what ~you~ want to play on the first turn isn't going to work because you didn't read the card: Chrome Mox! I posted reasons for my card in the post that you even quoted..

Etherium Sculptor does almost nothing if we don't have one of the rather few artifact cards in our hand ~and~ if we don't already have our legend out, and Enigma Sphinx is currently the only card that could solve this, even if legacy decks that we don't build here can't make use of this card!
Bah... screw it...

I will add...

4x Howling Mine

Highly synergistic with Scepter of Dominance as well as the cost reduces/prison effects. 
cats_and_me: while I think bun may have been a bit overzealous with her response, your earlier posts do border very close to just trolling and intentional sabotage.  The point of this is to work around what other people suggest in a group effort, but purposefully putting bad cards in is not part of the game.  It's close enough so that it's workable, just keep that in mind in the future.  You complained about the restrictiveness of the deck, then added a card that made the deck even more restricted and labored.

I would like you to participate in this, but if you're going to just troll and attack others for their card selections, I'm going to ask you to not post here.  That is not what this game is about.

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

How am I supposed to fix the mana base when I'm not allowed to do that for the next 12 hours? Later in the game, we'll have access to black mana, and we can start mana-fixing on the first turn because what ~you~ want to play on the first turn isn't going to work because you didn't read the card: Chrome Mox! I posted reasons for my card in the post that you even quoted..

Etherium Sculptor does almost nothing if we don't have one of the rather few artifact cards in our hand ~and~ if we don't already have our legend out, and Enigma Sphinx is currently the only card that could solve this, even if legacy decks that we don't build here can't make use of this card!

Lmao, I'm such an airhead.  I wondered why I never used that in a deck before.

I agree with your explanation, just not the card you chose.

Eh, he still pitches to pitches spells at least.  Sigh.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

Lands:

Creatures:
4 Transguild Courier
4 Etherium Sculptor
2 Enigma Sphinx
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Droning Bureaucrats

Other Spells:
4 Scepter Of Dominance
4 Howling Mine

EDIT:
I would like restate, this isn't about making the best deck in the history of the game.  It's about creating a decklist that focuses on synergy and interactions between cards, and simultaneously expanding other posters card vocabulary, and general deck building skills.  Maybe at some point we could even have a text-duel/mws tournament with various decks the forum created.

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

Look, it was me who eagerly wants to make this thread idea work, and that's why I'm writing down my thoughts because I would love to discuss the rules in the 12 hours where I'm not allowed to add more cards.. Maybe three votes to remove cards or reduce the amount of copies of a card would really help the next time, especially when we're allowed to do the opposite, anyway!  As you can read in every post, I'm trying to make use of the cards that everyone selected and I'm trying to reduce the amount of anti-synergy that some cards have right now.. I'm not posting cards that are supposed to make the deck worse! If you think that I went too far with one of the sentenced posted above, please write me a short message so that I know what you're referring to because I don't want to start flame wars here..
Look, it was me who eagerly wants to make this thread idea work, and that's why I'm writing down my thoughts because I would love to discuss the rules in the 12 hours where I'm not allowed to add more cards.. Maybe three votes to remove cards or reduce the amount of copies of a card would really help the next time, especially when we're allowed to do the opposite, anyway!  As you can read in every post, I'm trying to make use of the cards that everyone selected and I'm trying to reduce the amount of anti-synergy that some cards have right now.. I'm not posting cards that are supposed to make the deck worse! If you think that I went too far with one of the sentenced posted above, please write me a short message so that I know what you're referring to because I don't want to start flame wars here..

If someone posts a card you disagree with, it isn't the end of the world.  This is a fun exercise, not a life or death test.  It is unnecessary to remove cards unless they are obvious attempts of sabotage, which I don't think we need worry about.  I would point out though, that the card that sticks out the worst is actually yours.  It is off color, three colored, and extremely expensive and is a card that is a centerpiece card, not a complimentary card.   I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how well the other cards work together.  Turning this into a "I think your card suggestion was bad" isn't fun or productive.

Any further discussion about this here is just derailing the thread and unnecessary.  PM me if you wish to discuss this further. 

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

As we don't have much to do on the first turn, we can play lands that enter play tapped: 4 x Arcane Sanctum! We have only few non-land slots left and there are still many subthemes that need a lot more support, but now it's up to other people because I selected lands..

Lands:
4 Arcane Sanctum

Creatures:
4 Transguild Courier
4 Etherium Sculptor
2 Enigma Sphinx
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Droning Bureaucrats

Other Spells:
4 Scepter Of Dominance
4 Howling Mine
I've noticed that the majority of contributers to this are... shall I say more experienced posters. If you are newer, don't hesitate to submit. If you want feedback on your submission we'd be more than willing to provide constructive criticism.

This exercise is a perfect way to practice deckbuilding skills, especially as it relates to building around synergy.
Yeah, this is pretty strange because the last times we had this kind of thread, many different people have posted there! By the way, I never wanted to remove the golems, but I would vote to remove two copies of them, and maybe there are two more people that want this, which is a rules idea that might or might not improve the quality and the fun of this game.. Although I really like my sphinx here and think that it's one of the few victory conditions here, I would remove the sphinx if three people want me to do so!
Not sure where you got the vote off a card idea from, but we're not doing it.  All it does is promote discord and unneeded argument.  The original threads of GMAD here, and on other forums never had that.  This is for fun, there are going to be bad cards suggested.  I've yet to see a deck that was perfect, and it's certainly not going to be done here built by pieces in one shot.  Relax, and have fun.  Attacking others just creates bad blood and scares posters away.  

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

Other forums have this rule now because the people there have agreed that it definitely improves the quality of such threads, and they're quite happy with that rule.. When this kind of thread returned, I wasn't expecting the same rules, but I was expecting a discussion how we can make this idea work.. It's pretty strange that you can say: "You're wrong, two copies isn't enough, and I now decide that we have four copies instead!" But you can't say: "You're wrong, four copies is too much, and I now decide with two other people sharing my opinion that we have two copies instead!" Also, I wanted to know something completely different, at which point are we going to create the next thread, and who does that? This person also gets to select the very important first card..
Other forums have this rule now because the people there have agreed that it definitely improves the quality of such threads, and they're quite happy with that rule.. When this kind of thread returned, I wasn't expecting the same rules, but I was expecting a discussion how we can make this idea work.. It's pretty strange that you can say: "You're wrong, two copies isn't enough, and I now decide that we have four copies instead!" But you can't say: "You're wrong, four copies is too much, and I now decide with two other people sharing my opinion that we have two copies instead!" Also, I wanted to know something completely different, at which point are we going to create the next thread, and who does that? This person also gets to select the very important first card..

I'm not sure why you feel compelled to keep pressing the issue when the rules are pretty straightforward and clean.  There is a difference between erasing what someone suggested, and adding on to what someone said.  "Deleting" cards also means the deck might never be finished, whereas adding cards is always moving forward.  

This will act as the motherboard thread, and you just continue to post in this, one, head thread.  Otherwise it just results in a bunch of GMAD threads spamming the front page and less deck critique threads.  After this one GMAD, I may start a new thread, if only to start on a cleaner foot, but otherwise that will be it.  There is no need for multiple GMAD threads, or a new one after each completed list.

Any further rule questions, I'd appreciate you pm'ed me with, instead of discussing here.

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

We can't discuss this via pm because then other people can't join the discussion, and then we also can't make decisions because how do we decide if we don't agree in one point? What we could do, would be to start a new thread just to discuss the rules there.. So you're always the one making the decision what card we're building around? We could probably run two different threads like this with different rules so that we can see which rules can improve this kind of thread and which rules don't.. Also, right now the front page of this forum contains even threads where people didn't post for two days, but maybe that's just because I have selected different (?) viewing options than other people! Yeah, rules should be clean, but I'd gladly increase the number of rules by one if that improves this kind of thread.. As for "deleting" cards, I don't think it's offensive to decide to decrease the number of copies, and we could have that rule say that you can't remove ~every~ copy so that when someone suggests a card, it's going to be part of the deck, but in the end, it might be just a three-of instead of a four-of! There's a difference between changing number and completely removing a card idea from the deck..

We can't discuss this via pm because then other people can't join the discussion, and then we also can't make decisions because how do we decide if we don't agree in one point? What we could do, would be to start a new thread just to discuss the rules there.. So you're always the one making the decision what card we're building around? We could probably run two different threads like this with different rules so that we can see which rules can improve this kind of thread and which rules don't.. Also, right now the front page of this forum contains even threads where people didn't post for two days, but maybe that's just because I have selected different (?) viewing options than other people! Yeah, rules should be clean, but I'd gladly increase the number of rules by one if that improves this kind of thread.. As for "deleting" cards, I don't think it's offensive to decide to decrease the number of copies, and we could have that rule say that you can't remove ~every~ copy so that when someone suggests a card, it's going to be part of the deck, but in the end, it might be just a three-of instead of a four-of! There's a difference between changing number and completely removing a card idea from the deck..

No, I'm not the one deciding the first card always.  Whoever posts the first card, after a decklist is completed, is the one who decides.  I just did in this case because I happened to post first.  

There is no real need to bother with removing copies of a card.  It is a casual game, not an intense deckbuilding exercise.  I've stated this multiple times.  If someone posts a subpar card, that is their choice and it isn't the end of the world.  Adding complicated rules about removing cards is just not worth the hassle, and also promotes mean-spirited argument and harassment.  Neither of which is wanted.  It also slows the process down to a crawl and makes it so a deck takes even longer to finish.  It is not a huge issue if someone posts a card that is considered subpar.  

I've done several GMAD and I'm telling you what's best is to not have a long winded vote about whether a card should be removed or not.  You've stated yourself the past few ones others and yourself have run failed.  I'm guessing this largely because of the inability to finish a deck.

I've explained this several times already, any further questions, please take to private message.

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

Here's something wrong: You're offering explanations on why people have to follow your rules via pm, but you don't like to have a discussion with the community on what rules everyone wants!  You said that you want this to be a community project, but doesn't that mean that the community decides on the rules? Another forum that has this kind of community project has discussed and improved the rules, which might be the same case here although I don't mind that much if they would stay the same.. If you don't want this, of course you're free to create a thread where ~you~ make the rules and ~not~ the community, where the community can pm you to get explanations on why we have to use these rules, and I'm even going to post there!  By the way, I have never created such a thread, and other similar threads haven't failed because we used "my" rules but rather because we didn't use my rules, at least that's what I'm thinking and why I'm suggesting them here.. If you don't want this discussion, it's not that much of a community project from my point of view: It's actually a lot closer to regular threads with people saying that they want to build around one specific card, asking for other cards that should be part of the deck, slowly creating a decklist and then asking for more cards that have synergy with these cards that already were selected, and then having a finished decklist!
truly dont much like the direction, if any, this is going but ill take a bit furtherdow the road^^with some sphinx of the steel wind
Im curious to how we'll manafix this^^

These is the point where we might have enough non-mana sources in the deck, there are only 25 slots left for mana sources, and four of them were already selected..
yes yes but this is just for fun man, half the fun is working with and around other ppls crazy suggestions. No one says you have to playtest the final result ;)
btw the sphinxes seemed the obvious way to go having so much slow mana acceleration and those 3 colors. I'm still worried that the control is sluggish and expensive and the manabase not quite up to the task yet.

I would suggest a rule that people can argue against or for an addition, for me that would add some fun, but ultimately the only person who can remove a card is the person who added it and no bickering allowed. Would this be an acceptable compromise?
No, I'm fine with your addition, but ~after~ you have added these cards, we have the 25 slots for mana sources left that I have mentioned! As for that other thing, we must first know if tonyto3690 makes the rules or the community..
well ... I'd say its ok w me he makes his rules for his thread and if you disagree just make another...Im fine w there being two of these threads...

edit. im a middle child...
No, that's not my intention, if tonyto3690 has this private thread with his rules, then I don't want to have yet another person's private thread with ~that~ person's rules, not of you and not of me.. I'd rather want to have a second thread where the community decides on the rules! By the way, the alternate cost of something like Fieldmist Borderpost can be reduced, too?
3 thran dynamo. We have some hefty spells, some extra mana is just what we need.

4 Arcane Sanctum
4 Transguild Courier
4 Etherium Sculptor
2 Enigma Sphinx
3 sphinx of the steel wind
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Droning Bureaucrats
4 Scepter Of Dominance
4 Howling Mine
2 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
3 thran dynamo

Personally, I think that about covers this deck, just add basics.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
Nvm, banned card
My forum good deeds. Fortunately, left unpunished:
Show
"Incidentally, everytime you post in of these (mine or anyone else's) you have really great advice." -Tigerguy786 "Thanks Stop-Whining, your suggestions have been gold." -RedRollinS "You are probably the best person who has explained a certain concept to me so far, thank you VERY much for the information, it helps me out a ton. I can't wait to play this deck and use some cards for a deck of my own. Cheers!" -SpaceLincoln "In short, you good sir, are made of win advice. And I am actually going to be taking pretty much all of it." -jeremyc13
Sign In to post comments