The very hard to kill gouge wielding charge wizard (100+ DPR)

115 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cause everyone else is doing it.

The very hard to kill gouge wielding charging wizard (or really any class).

Updated here to 274.11225 DPR.

[sblock build]
Revenant (Half-Elf)
Dilettant: Eldrich Strike
Background: Gritty Sargent (Mace)
Wizard/Kulkor Master At Arms/Destin Scion

Str: 12, Con 18, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 10
Str: 14, Con 30, Dex 20, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 12

L1 - Melee Training Con -> Retrain to Versitile Master @ 12
L2 - Weapon Proficiency (Gouge)
L4 - Spear Expertise
L6 - Silvery Glow
L8 - Half-elf Soul
L10 - Restless Dead -> Retrain to Kulkor Battle Student @ 11
L11 - Battle Awreness
L12 - Polearm Momentum
L14 - Impaling Spear
L16 - Superior Will
L18 - Restless Dead
L20 - Lasting Frost
L21 - Winter Touched
L22 - Long Step
L24 - Surprising Charge
L26 - White Lotus Riposte
L28 - White Lotus Master Riposte
L30 - Ghostly Vitality

Powers
Magic Missile (can still kill minions)
Storm Pillar (can still block squares)

Items: Frost Fury Gouge +6, Life Charm +5, Bloodthread +6, Horned Helm (epic), Belt of Solinnor Rightousness (epic), Gloves of Ice (epic), Rushing Cleats.
[/sblock]

Assuming your below 0 (and you should start battles that way, making sure you pre-save daze).
[sblock To hit: = 41 (42 on a charge) vs Ref]
15 (half level)
10 (Con)
6 (Enhancemnt)
3 (Spear Expertise)
2 (Proficency)
2 (Restless Dead)
2 (Combat Advantage)
1 (Destined Scion)
*1 (Charge)
[/sblock]

[sblock damage 57.45 (59.325 on a charge)]
10 (Con)
16 (4d6r1) 36
6 (Enhancement)
10 (Frost Fury)
5 (Frost Vuln)
4 (Gloves of Ice)
4 (Silvery Glow)
*10.5 (horned helm) 18
*3 (Spear Expertise)
= 55 (68.5)

Crit
+16 (4d6r1)
 +33 (Frost Fury)
*+7.5 (Horned healm)
= 49 (56.5) * .05 = 2.45 (2.825)
[/sblock]

.95 * (59.325 + (.9 * 57.45))
.95 * (59.325 + 51.705)
.95 * (111.03)

Oh, and a likely third attack from riposte (as the target will be adjacent and prone), adding another 51.705 + 10 (167.1835 grand total).

I'm sure i'm missing something (like some rings, or charge equipment), but i feel my point has been made (whatever it was).

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I hope your point is that the following are overpowered and/or badly designed:

Kulkor Arms Master
Polearm Momentum
Dilettante
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Don't forget all the stacking Charge Boosters, Mand12.  Ye gods, all the charge boosters.
I hope your point is that the following are overpowered and/or badly designed:

Kulkor Arms Master
Polearm Momentum
Dilettante

I don't think Dilettante is an issue, its Versatile Master that makes it At-Will. If all these builds could only do it once an encounter I don't think people would be complaining.
Don't forget all the stacking Charge Boosters, Mand12.  Ye gods, all the charge boosters.

I'm actually only useing the horned helm, and spear expertise.

So not much charge boosting really.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Since you're trying to make a point about cheese, and a wizard...

Any reason why not Radiant One and Spark Slippers?

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Since you're trying to make a point about cheese, and a wizard...

Any reason why not Radiant One and Spark Slippers?

I guess i really wasn't trying to make a point, just wanted to put up a 100+ damage wizard.

Though Con->Cha, rushing cleats->sparked slippers, frost fury -> staggering would be a substantial damage boost, but a toughness loss.

guides
Power
my builds

Not Con/Cha ... Con/Int. Use Radiant One for the Damage, Minimal Cha just so the slippers produce a damage event

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Not Con/Cha ... Con/Int. Use Radiant One for the Damage, Minimal Cha just so the slippers produce a damage event

That could work too.

But then his spells would be useful Tongue out (also pretty MAD, and loose frost cheese, and you could slide in and out of one of your zones...).

*shrug* Go ahead and build it if you want.  I'm done with this one.

guides
Power
my builds

guess i really wasn't trying to make a point, just wanted to put up a 100+ damage wizard.

Though Con->Cha, rushing cleats->sparked slippers, frost fury -> staggering would be a substantial damage boost, but a toughness loss.

So, you wanted to make a +100 DPR Wizard, using a Warlock At-Will, a Half-Elf Racial feature, a Fighter Paragon Path, some generic Arcane Feats and a feat/item combo that has no specific class requirements? None of the parts of your combo are wizard specific. You don't even have any Int for Christ's sake! You could have gone Warlock and it would have saved you a feat and drastically improved your effectivenss by getting you access to some daily and encounter powers. As low damaging as they are on their own, stunning, dominating, and attack granting are still more than valid ways to win an encounter.

The only really interesting thing I've seen is a combo of Gouge + Kulkor which I haven't really seen used, but, once again, not a Wizard thing.
I am a: Lawful Good Dragonborn Paladin
guess i really wasn't trying to make a point, just wanted to put up a 100+ damage wizard.

So, you wanted to make a +100 DPR Wizard, using a Warlock At-Will, a Half-Elf Racial feature, a Fighter Paragon Path, some generic Arcane Feats and a feat/item combo that has no specific class requirements?

but, once again, not a Wizard thing.

Which is why i wanted to do it as a wizard.  Cause it's probably the least melee/charge/striker/tough class.

Heck, you could put ANY class in there, i'm not even depending on white lotus feats.

guides
Power
my builds

So, you wanted to make a +100 DPR Wizard, using a Warlock At-Will, a Half-Elf Racial feature, a Fighter Paragon Path, some generic Arcane Feats and a feat/item combo that has no specific class requirements?

Which is why i wanted to do it as a wizard.  Cause it's probably the least melee/charge/striker/tough class.

Heck, you could put ANY class in there, i'm not even depending on white lotus feats.

The overall point being that charge-op is potent and pretty independant of base class these days, to the point where many non-charging builds can't even compete.

The overall point being that charge-op is potent and pretty independant of base class these days, to the point where many non-charging builds can't even compete.

Honestly, it's not really a charge buld.

I could take off my horned helm, trade spear expertise for axe expertise and i'd be at like 95 DPR.

guides
Power
my builds

I'm just not seeing what Kulkor Battle Student does for this build...how is it affecting damage?

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Prerequisite for the paragon path.
And the paragon path gets you an extra basic attack when you prone an enemy.

I don't think Dilettante is an issue, its Versatile Master that makes it At-Will. If all these builds could only do it once an encounter I don't think people would be complaining.

That's a hard hit on Half-Elves since Dilettante on its own is pretty lackluster. But yeah, something does need to be done about Versatile Master.

Oh nos, now only warlocks have easy access to the combo?  (Or, "Rangers", for different example?)

Versatile Master is not the problem, IMHO.

^VM isn't THE problem. It's A problem. When a Half-elf can take any class and use Twin Strike wrecking or Hellish Rebuke cheesing, there's something fishy going on. Kulkor tripping is just an easy-mode method of showing how easy VM can be abused.

There are three seperate "problems".  Versatile master is fine when people aren't abusing it (half elf cleric taking direct the strike or grasping shards not abusinve IMO), but it is really easy to abuse.

Polearm momentum should probably be limited to once an encounter.  Its so easy to abuse I made a bear shaman that could slide/prone enemies at will from 20 squares away.  I would suggest limiting it to weapon attacks or fighters, but I think weapon users and fighters have too much support anyways.

Kulkor Arms Master is only a problem because of smite the fallen and how easy it is to prone at this point.  Change "Once per round" to once each encounter or something similar and the abuse goes away.
Really, that's just showing how well Polearm Momentum can be abused.  I think "Half-Elf" could be replaced here with "mark of Storm" for example

Kulkor Arms Master is only a problem because of smite the fallen and how easy it is to prone at this point.  Change "Once per round" to once each encounter or something similar and the abuse goes away.

*twitch* *twitch*.

Level 16 features should not be "once per encounter".  My personal view is to limit to Kulkor weapons, and turn into a damage bonus against already prone enemies.

The tragic part is the KAM 16th feature should have also included the "axe/hammer/mace with versatile property" and then these kinds of abuses would be moot. Not sure what anyone was thinking that a once per round free MBA was a balanced ability.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Really, that's just showing how well Polearm Momentum can be abused.  I think "Half-Elf" could be replaced here with "mark of Storm" for example

Put Polearm Momentum/KAM aside for a second. Take a Half-Elf, give em Twin Strike/Hellish Rebuke. Take any class, particularly one that barely focuses on DPR. What do you get? A random class with an inexplicit potential for high DPR. Until these two powers get capped off from Dilettante somehow, a Half-Elf anything will always have this fallback weapon on their side.

Eh ...

Twin-Striking Wizard will have a really hard time getting as high as the KAM wizard.  Bigger [W], stat to damage.  I'm pretty sure KAM is better than Twin Strike.

Cheesing out EITHER approach (Twin Strike, Hellish Rebuke, KAM) to get to "high" DPR, and you've burnt all your feats, and can't do anything other than high DPR.

(And, FWIW, you forgot the Rogue dual-attack at-will.  Harder to cheese out because you've got to force the attack (assault swordmage to the rescue) but there.)

I like how there's been 15 builds that get 150+ DPR, in nearly the same way, but suddenly, cause a wizard does it, we talk about being overpowered.

Not that i'm putting anyone down, I just find it really interesting and sudden shift.

guides
Power
my builds

Because it's got nothing to do to the class.  It's not the overall number that is raising hackles, it's the fact that the few features used in the build are quite clearly overpowered.  They don't look quite so bad when it's on a ranger because we think a good portion of it is actually coming from the ranger.  That doesn't mean they're not overpowered, it just means they're not so blatantly obvious.
I like how there's been 15 builds that get 150+ DPR, in nearly the same way, but suddenly, cause a wizard does it, we talk about being overpowered.

Not that i'm putting anyone down, I just find it really interesting and sudden shift.

Beautiful. Rename the thread "150 DPR, Anyone can do It, Even a Wizard."

It's always been pretty stupid, and I'm thankful that people are coming to recognize that. This is a good way to demonstrate how dumb it is.
Kulkor Arms Master - So Easy a Wizard Can Do It

"I've got good news! I just picked up a bunch of DPR by switching to Kulkor!"

Sorry. Temptation was too great. ;)
Just 15 minutes can give you 50% or more in DPR?

Dah, i missed out on some good titles.

Because it's got nothing to do to the class.  It's not the overall number that is raising hackles, it's the fact that the few features used in the build are quite clearly overpowered.  They don't look quite so bad when it's on a ranger because we think a good portion of it is actually coming from the ranger.  That doesn't mean they're not overpowered, it just means they're not so blatantly obvious 

No.  There not mostly comming from the striker class stuff.  Epic Striker stuff add's like 25 DPR.

guides
Power
my builds

*twitch* *twitch*.
Level 16 features should not be "once per encounter".  My personal view is to limit to Kulkor weapons, and turn into a damage bonus against already prone enemies.

I agree your solution is better.  I was throwing out ideas.

Unfortunately, I can't pull up the character builder on my phone, but this makes me wonder if it's possible to build a Kulkor o-Assassin that can do similar... or at least achieve 4*level+8 dpr I'd their damage truly is that low.
I think so, absolutely. I'd like to see the list of elements that make this trick isolated...
I think so, absolutely. I'd like to see the list of elements that make this trick isolated...

There's absolutly nothing that requres a wizard*.  So everything is isolated.

*Except White Lotus (master) riposte.  But those are kinda filler feats, and you still break 100.

guides
Power
my builds

The two main things you need are:

• Fighter (main, hybrid, or multi class) for polearm momentum (also meets the martial requirement for Kulkor)

• A means of pushing or sliding at-will (half-elf for eldritch strike; mark of storm + lightning weapon, etc., or HBO being most common)

You could also get a decent approximation with a wide variety of other powers to substitute in for one or the other (e.g. BB Battlemind is going to have pretty consistent at-will prones).
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me
Seriously? This is real? You can make any class do way more damage just by ditching whatever they do in favour of this? I dunno how I feel about that.
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.

I'm honestly curious if you even need to do away with the free attack if it was limited to the Kulkor weapons. If you were actually required to prone them with an attack from a Kulkor weapon, you've removed the most reliable means of proning via Polearm Momentum.  I think that would greatly reduce the cheesability right there.
The two main things you need are:

• Fighter (main, hybrid, or multi class) for polearm momentum (also meets the martial requirement for Kulkor)

• A means of pushing or sliding at-will (half-elf for eldritch strike; mark of storm + lightning weapon, etc., or HBO being most common)

You could also get a decent approximation with a wide variety of other powers to substitute in for one or the other (e.g. BB Battlemind is going to have pretty consistent at-will prones).

Battleminds still need an MBA (i.e. Eldrich Strike). 

guides
Power
my builds

I'm honestly curious if you even need to do away with the free attack if it was limited to the Kulkor weapons. If you were actually required to prone them with an attack from a Kulkor weapon, you've removed the most reliable means of proning via Polearm Momentum.  I think that would greatly reduce the cheesability right there.

It would switch from Polearm Momentum to World Serpent's Grasp.