Dark Star: A Charismatic Blackguard DPR build

25 posts / 0 new
Last post

Dark Star: A Charismatic Blackguard DPR build

Dark Star crashes... pouring it's light into ashes
Reason tatters... the forces tear loose from the axis
Shall we go, you and I while we can?
Thru... the transitive night fall of diamonds.    

Dark Star is a Charisma based Blackguard DPR build.  Dark Star utilizes Spear Charging, Sliding and Proning shenanigans to inflict massive damage on his unfortunate foe with stacking CHA bonuses.

To orbit the Dark Star results in thy doom.  Yet it's gravity is undeniable, and one caught in it's sway will surely suffer as it subjected to terrible forces.

Why you would want to play Dark Star:

Dark star is a reliable Striker, delivering consistent, massive damage (DPR) with a modicum of controlling effects. 

Dark Star can operate as a meat shield/pseudo status shedding leader, crossing roles without sacrificing his Striking efficiency. 

Dark Star is tough.  Solid defenses, incredible striker HP's, and a constant influx of THP's guarantee that Dark Star will not be quick to fall in battle.

Dark Star is sure to be shedding (burning away) conditions, it's own and his team members.   Save granting/bonuses are the order of the day.

Once per day Dark Star can fluff "Nova" and burn away all foolish minions who would orbit via Star Opal Ring.  Which is nice.      

Special Thanks:    Theziner, Litigation, Reg06, mcowen, and Rpzip for their invaluable input in this builds inception.    

Dark Star level 30

Dark Star, level 30
Half-Elf, Paladin, Kulkor Arms Master, Indomitable Champion
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Epic Heroism: Epic Heroism (Charisma)
Epic Heroism: Epic Heroism (Constitution)
Half elf Power Selection: Dilettante

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 16, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 30.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 10, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 18.

AC: 46
Fort: 45
Reflex: 45
Will: 49

HP: 245
Surges: 13
Surge Value: 61

Initiative + 27 

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +20
History +20
Endurance +21
Intimidate +30

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Arcana +15, Bluff +25, Diplomacy +27, Dungeoneering +18, Heal +18, Insight +20, Nature +18, Perception +18, Stealth +17, Streetwise +25, Thievery +17, Athletics +17

FEATS
Level 1: Melee Training (Charisma) (retrained to Kulkor Battlearm Student at Level 11)
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Gouge)
Level 4: Spear Expertise
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Superior Will
Level 10: Improved Initiative (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 21)
Level 11: Wrathful Warrior
Level 12: Versatile Master
Level 14: Superior Reflexes
Level 16: Deadly Draw
Level 18: Polearm Momentum
Level 20: Hafted Defense
Level 21: Long Step
Level 22: Epic Fortitude
Level 24: Epic Reflexes
Level 26: Impaling Spear
Level 28: Surprising Charge
Level 30: Armor Specialization (Plate)

POWERS
Dilettante: Eldritch Strike
Lay on Hands: Lay on Hands
Paladin at-will 1: Ardent Strike
Paladin at-will 1: Bolstering Strike
Paladin encounter 1: Fearsome Smite
Paladin daily 1: Glorious Charge
Paladin utility 2: Virtue
Paladin encounter 3: Righteous Smite
Paladin daily 5: Unyielding Faith
Paladin utility 6: Deliverance of Faith
Paladin encounter 7: Blade of Light
Paladin daily 9: Reaper's Harvest
Paladin utility 10: Tactician's Measure
Paladin encounter 13: Renewing Smite (replaces Fearsome Smite)
Paladin daily 15: Divine Vengeance (replaces Glorious Charge)
Paladin utility 16: Higher Cause
Paladin encounter 17: Reassuring Strike (replaces Blade of Light)
Paladin daily 19: Righteous Resolve (replaces Unyielding Faith)
Paladin utility 22: Shared Valor
Paladin encounter 23: Trial of Adversity (replaces Renewing Smite)
Paladin daily 25: Discipline the Unruly (replaces Reaper's Harvest)

ITEMS
Brooch of Vitality +6
Ring of Guarded Will (epic tier)
Belt of Vim (paragon tier)
Dice of Auspicious Fortune (paragon tier)
Eye of Awareness (epic tier)
Spark Slippers (paragon tier)
Bracers of Mighty Striking (epic tier)
Magic Godplate Armor +6
Horned Helm (epic tier)
Eager Hero's Tattoo (paragon tier)
Star Opal Ring (epic tier)
Stone of Wind (paragon tier)
Staggering Gouge +6

Noteable Blackguard features/powers

Dread Smite
encounter-cold-divine-necrotic-shadow
free action
trigger: you target an enemy with an at-will weapon attack
effect:the target takes cold and necrotic damage = 2+CHA mod. If triggering attack hits, target also takes ongoing 5 cold and necrotic (save ends)
Level 7: 4+ CHA mod
Level 17: 7+CHA mod - ongoing 10 cold and necrotic (save ends)
Level 27: 10+CHA mod - ongoing 15 cold and necrotic (save ends)

Shroud of Shadow
Encounter-shadow
Minor action
Effect: you gain partial concealment until the EONT.  You also gain 5 THP
Level 11: 10 THP
Level 21: 15 THP

Dark Menace: Whenever you make a weapon attack against an enemy granting CA to you that enemy take extra damage = to your CHA mod. 

Spirit of Vice Domination: Once per round while you have THP, take a free action to damage self = CHA mod.  Gain bonus to damage roll against target = to damage you took.

Level 3 – Extra Dread Smite

Level 29 Daily Power: Avatar of Vice
Standard – one creature – STR vs AC – 5(W)+STR mod necrotic damage.  Miss: half damage – gain the following benefits until EOTE – your attacks deal extra necrotic damage = CHA mod.  Once per turn after you attack an enemy and hit gain 10 THP’s.  if the attack already grants THP’s you gain 5 extra THP’s – if you start the turn with no uses of your Dread Smite roll a 1d6 – if you roll a 5 or 6 you regain one use of that power.

First attack - Charging Eldritch Strike +39 vs REF - Slide 7 squares and knock prone

+10 CHA (eldritch strike)
+6 enhancement
 +3 Spear expertise (charging)
+10 Dread Mastery (+CHA with CA blackguard)
+10 Domination Vice (must have THP's, take 10 damage = CHA mod)
+10 1st slide spark Slippers
+10 2nd slide Spark slippers
+10 3rd slide Spark slippers
+10 4th slide Spark slippers
+10 5th slide Spark slippers
+10 6th slide Spark slippers
+10 7th slide Spark slippers

+3d6 Horned Helm 

Brutal 1 

DPR = 130.125 

Free Action Kulkor attack - same except no Spear expertise or Domination vice damage  +38 vs REF

DPR = 101.2     

Current DPR estimation = 231.33
you may post.
If you're abusing spark slippers, why not get a staggering gouge and slide the mook through 8 squares of pain? 
And take Arcane Admixture to throw cold onto the power to keep up the cheese.

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

+1 on staggering gouge

Arcane Admix requires MC arcane.  Blackguard is divine and he has martial MC for their feats.

Magic shield + magic bracers = two magic items in arms slot?

Edit: Nevermind.  1-handed spear for heavy shield/Battering Shield so gouge is out. 
If you're abusing spark slippers, why not get a staggering gouge and slide the mook through 8 squares of pain? 

wow... ummm ya... wow.  Thanks.  

+1 on staggering gouge

Arcane Admix requires MC arcane.  Blackguard is divine and he has martial MC for their feats.

Edit: Nevermind.  1-handed spear for heavy shield/Battering Shield so gouge is out.

Unless I go for gouge slide shenanigans and suffer a defense drop then the meager 1 extra slide is moot.   

+1 on staggering gouge

Arcane Admix requires MC arcane.  Blackguard is divine and he has martial MC for their feats.

Edit: Nevermind.  1-handed spear for heavy shield/Battering Shield so gouge is out.

Unless I go for gouge slide shenanigans and suffer a defense drop then the meager 1 extra slide is moot.   

Good point.  Also saves a feat that can be used elsewhere like prof (gouge) or headsman's chop on your extra mba.

Build updated - Reg06 for the win.
Staggering increases slide by enhancement bonus. Total slide of 7. (no battering shield. ).

You don't qualify for plate specialization. It's 15 str 15 con.
Staggering increases slide by enhancement bonus. Total slide of 7. (no battering shield. ). You don't qualify for plate specialization. It's 15 str 15 con.

Compendium says only CON 15?

You don't qualify for plate specialization. It's 15 str 15 con.

Nope, just 15 CON.
Also, I didn't see the Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold on your item list. That's +5 damage.

But I don't have cold attacks anymore unless I use my Dread Smite?  Which I get 2. 
It took me a second to notice.
Without the cold attacks, how do you plan to keep up CA? And keep up the temps? 

It took me a second to notice.
Without the cold attacks, how do you plan to keep up CA? And keep up the temps? 

well the temps aren't a problem.  CA, however, is

Open to suggestions

EDIT: even if I can't keep up the CA - and the extra 10 damage from blackguard goodness... by my calculations with a +37 to hit/+39 (after prone) I'm still raking in a 205.08 DPR

Whetstones would let you keep the cold damage and feats, and thus keep up the CA, but for some reason people don't like consumable based DPR.

Man I'm way off lately lol.

Dropping wintertouched and lasting frost is only 5 damage a hit. You make up for it with gouge. Take deadly draw instead. Silvery glow would have to go as well. Swap for wep focus. Deadly draw comes into play earlier. I suggest taking it in heroic.
Whetstones would let you keep the cold damage and feats, and thus keep up the CA, but for some reason people don't like consumable based DPR.

Ya notice my edited post - I would prefer to not rely on consumables.

Man I'm way off lately lol. Dropping wintertouched and lasting frost is only 5 damage a hit. You make up for it with gouge. Take deadly draw instead. Silvery glow would have to go as well. Swap for wep focus. Deadly draw comes into play earlier. I suggest taking it in heroic.

Valid and already accounted for.
Oh yeah, Deadly Draw is perfect. Also, has Headsman's Chop been mentioned?

yes deadly draw is absolutely perfect.  headsmans chop mentioned also, is the CA worth losing +3 (weapon focus) per attack?  have to crunch numbers.
Have you thought of taking Mobile Warrior instead of Longstep?

Decent option depending on what you want to do. Can shift 1 after your last attack and leave him prone 1 square away. Longstep is fantastic too.

yes deadly draw is absolutely perfect.  headsmans chop mentioned also, is the CA worth losing +3 (weapon focus) per attack?  have to crunch numbers.

+3 damage vs +2 to hit and +10 damage?

Ya deadly draw is the way to go.  Looking at 231.33 DPR with it.  Duh...

was leaving out the +10 :P 

EDIT:  Ok I updated with deadly draw - Im a little tired and my numbers might be off, I'll re-crunch when I get home.

Thanks everyone!

EDIT:  Near as I can tell the current DPR is correct.  

It's also important to note this builds does 130 DPR without Kulkor at all.
If you could somehow incorporate Twin Strike into this build (Mark of Storm?), that would push this into absurd.

If you could somehow incorporate Twin Strike into this build (Mark of Storm?), that would push this into absurd.

lol - ya Mark of Storm was of course considered.  I usually stray away from campaign specific. 
Sign In to post comments