Blackened: A Blackguard Dragon Riding Indomitable Champion

32 posts / 0 new
Last post

Blackened: A Blackguard Dragon Riding Indomitable Champion

Blackened is a Vice of Domination Blackguard build from Heroes of Shadow. He is designed to withstand serious punishment, and deliver it. 
This build is under construction and given it’s new source material please bear with me during his creation.

Enjoy.

Blackened Level 30

level 30
Dragonborn, Blackguard, Paragon Blackguard, Indomitable Champion

Dragonborn Ability: Dragonfear

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 30
Con 18
Dex 12
Int 12
Wis 10
Cha 22.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 13.

AC: 48
Fort: 50 
Reflex: 45 
Will: 51
HP: 262
Surges: 14
Surge Value: 64

+29 Initiative 

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +21, History +23, Endurance +20, Intimidate +27, Athletics +24

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Arcana +16, Bluff +20, Diplomacy +20, Dungeoneering +15, Heal +15, Insight +15, Nature +15, Perception +15, Stealth +12, Streetwise +20, Thievery +12

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
Level 2: Heavy Blade Expertise
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Improved Initiative Retrained to Superior Initiative at 21
Level 10: Mounted Combat
Level 11: Superior Will
Level 12: Toughness
Level 14: Wintertouched
Level 16: Lasting Frost
Level 18: Armor Specialization (Plate)
Level 20: Wrathful Warrior - Fighter MC and more THP's
Level 21: Improved Steed (Celestial Silver Dragon) – re-flavored to black or red dragon
Level 22: Epic Reflexes
Level 24: Epic Will
Level 26: Draconic Arrogance
Level 28: Dragon's Rejuventaion - regain Dragon fear (not sure about this one)
Level 30: Divine Mastery

POWERS

Dread Smite
encounter-cold-divine-necrotic-shadow
free action
trigger: you target an enemy with an at-will weapon attack
effect:the target takes cold and necrotic damage = 2+CHA mod. If triggering attack hits, target also takes ongoing 5 cold and necrotic (save ends)
Level 7: 4+ CHA mod
Level 17: 7+CHA mod - ongoing 10 cold and necrotic (save ends)
Level 27: 10+CHA mod - ongoing 15 cold and necrotic (save ends)

Shroud of Shadow
Encounter-shadow
Minor action
Effect: you gain partial concealment until the EONT.  You also gain 5 THP
Level 11: 10 THP
Level 21: 15 THP

Spirit of Vice Domination: Once per round while you have THP, take a free action to damage self = CHA mod.  Gain bonus to damage roll against target = to damage you took.

Level  1 At-Will: Dominator’s Strike – STR vs AC – 1(W)+STR mod damage.  Gain THP=CHA mod

Level 1 At-Will: Vengeance Strike – STR vs AC – 1(W)+STR Mod damage.  Gain power bonus to the damage roll =twice the number of adjacent enemies.

Level 3 – Extra Dread Smite

Level 4 – Servant of Vice.  Daily Minor Action to conjure small servant that lasts until EOTE that can answer questions based on DC’s set by DM.  Fluffy but possibly useful.

Level 5 Daily: Frenzying Smite – STR vs AC – 4(W)+STR.  Push target two squares then shift 3 squares adjacent.  You grant CA until SONT.

Paladin utility 6: Call Celestial Steed

Level  7: Improved Shroud of Shadow (Domination) – use Shroud of Shadow and gain additional THP’s= 2+CHA mod.  Increases to 5+CHA mod at 23rd level.

Level 9 Daily Power: Spirit Harrow – Close Burst 1 – each creature in burst - STR vs Fort – 2(W) + STR mod psychic and target can’t shift or make opportunity attacks (save ends).  Miss: Half damage.  Effect- targets with 10 or less HP’s are stunned until EONT

Level 10 Utility Power: Deathly Aura – Daily Minor Action.  Aura 1 -While you are bloodied enemies in the aura take necrotic damage after they are hit by an attack = CHA mod.

Level 11 : Blackguard’s Action (Domination) – Spend an AP and gain a power bonus to attack rolls = to number of allies within 2 squares.

Level 11: Vice’s Strength – You gain a +2 Bonus to saving throws and a +4 bonus against fear effects.

Level 11 Encounter Power: Proof of Domination – Close burst 1 – each creature in burst – STR vs FORT – 2(W)+STR mod and targets are weakened (save ends).  Effect: you gain 3 THP’s for each creature you target with attack.

Level 12 Utility Power: Altar of Domination – Conjure an Altar with 5 squares.  Square it occupies is difficult terrain.  While within 5 squares of Altar you and all allies gain +2 Power Bonus to attacks rolls against bloodied creatures.

Level 13 – extra Dread Smite

Level 15 Daily Power:  Avatar of Slaughter – 1 creature – STR vs AC – 3(W)+STR mod necrotic damage – miss: half damage – gain following benefits until EOTE - +4 power bonus to damage rolls – The first time you hit an enemy on your turns, a 2nd adjacent enemy takes 10 necrotic damage.
Level 16: Dark Blessing – whenever a creature adjacent to you is reduced to 0 HP’s, roll a 1d4
1 – gain 10 THP
2 – Gain a +2 power bonus to defenses until EONT.
3 – You gain a +1 power bonus to attack rolls until EONT
4 – You regain HP’s = CHA mod

Level 16 Utility Power:  Pragmatic Sacrifice – Immediate Interrupt – Close Burst 5 – Trigger: An attacks damage reduces you to 0 HP’s or fewer.  Target: One ally in burst.  Effect: Ally takes the damage and then gains 10 THP.

Level 17: Dauntless Presence – When an ally spends a healing surge while adjacent to you you gain THP = to your CHA mod.

Level 19 Daily Power: Plundering Smite – No Action – Trigger: You hit an adjacent creature with an at-will weapon attack.  Effect: The target takes 10 Necrotic damage and 10 ongoing Necrotic (save ends).  -2 Penalty to the saving throw.  Each time the target takes the ongoing damage you regain 10 HP’s.

Level 20 daily power: Mortal Dread – One Creature – STR vs AC – 2(W)+STR mod damage and ongoing 15 psychic (save ends).  If the target ends it’s next turn adjacent to you or any ally, it cannot make a saving throw to end this effect on that turn.  Miss: Half damage and 10 ongoing psychic (save ends).

Level 22 Utility Power: Dark Grace – minor action – aura 1 until EOTE – Whenever you or an ally in the aura hits an enemy they gain 5 THP. Whenever an ally in the aura spends a healing surge he or she regains only half the hit points, and you regain the rest.

Level 25 daily Power: Ravenous Shadows – Standard – Area wall 10 within 10 squares – conjure a wall of darkness until the EONT.  Walls squares are heavily obscured and it can be 4 squares high.  Any creature that enters the wall or ends it’s turn there takes 15 cold and necrotic damage.  When the wall appears make the following attack:  target – each creature in wall or adjacent.  STR vs FORT.  Hit: Target is immobilized until it’s EONT.  If target is outside the wall slide it one square into it.  Sustain Minor: wall persists until EONT and you can repeat the attack.

Level 27: Shadow Infusion – you gain 20 resist necrotic and 20 resist cold.

Level 29 Daily Power: Avatar of Vice – Standrad – one creature – STR vs AC – 5(W)+STR mod necrotic damage.  Miss: half damage – gain the following benefits until EOTE – your attacks deal extra necrotic damage = CHA mod.  Once per turn after you attack an enemy and hit gain 10 THP’s.  if the attack already grants THP’s you gain 5 extra THP’s – if you start the turn with no uses of your Dread Smite roll a 1d6 – if you roll a 5 or 6 you regain one use of that power.

ITEMS
Battlecrazed Bastard sword +6
Brooch of Vitality +6
Eye of Awareness (epic tier)
Gauntlets of Destruction (paragon tier)
Belt of Vim (paragon tier)
Boots of Quickness (paragon tier)
Shield of Ultimate Protection Heavy Shield (epic tier)
Ring of Free Time (epic tier)
Whiteflame Godplate Armor +6
Dice of Auspicious Fortune (paragon tier)
Stone of Earth (paragon tier)
Ring of Circling Fangs (paragon tier)

Attack Bonuses:

+37 Base

+2 with CA

+1 while bloodied

+1 on my Dragon       

Wouldn't Mounted Combat be kind of an important feat buy? Without it you're losing 2 to hit with the Dragon attacks (most importantly the automatic 'when something moves adjacent' one) and you don't get the +1 to all attack rolls feature that he would otherwise grant by riding him.

You also probably want to grab some combination of Virtue and Deliverance of Faith for THP generation, either by giving up a utility feat slot or snagging Skill Power.
Yup forgot retraining.  Mounted Combat, will definitely be in there.
Wouldn't it be better to pick up mark of handling instead?  Doesn't it include the mounted combat feat in it (with mounted combat as the non-mark feat option if you are not allowed to use dragon mark feats)?
Wouldn't it be better to pick up mark of handling instead?  Doesn't it include the mounted combat feat in it (with mounted combat as the non-mark feat option if you are not allowed to use dragon mark feats)?

Ya but the whole campaign specific thing *shrugs*

Remember, this is just a stab.  I like the flavor and the potential for optimization is there.

Obvious changes now looking over it include Definitely going Dragonborn.  Dropping the 2 silly shadow feats and losing the whole "dim light darkness angle".  Can pick up the extra defenses in another way or make due with the base defenses (which are considerable).

EDIT: Ok moved some feats around, went with Dragonborn, MC Fighter, and snagged Draconic Arrogance for Push stuff.  Defenses took a small hit but I think it looks better.  
Damn, there's a LOT of stacking CHA mods in there.  Human or Half-Elf Blackguard with a CHA-MBA FTW.  Especially if it's Human with Virtuous Strike, because you're then hitting vulnerability all the time, too.

The only issue, I guess, is that the dailies will still be STR.  Those are baked in to the character, at a guess?

Shame.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The only issue, I guess, is that the dailies will still be STR.  Those are baked in to the character, at a guess?

Shame.

The Lv. 29 is the only one that is, I think. If it truly does mirror the Cavalier, anyway. Other than that level, you can take CHA-based powers, although they will be less Strikery and more Defendery/Leadery powers.
They'll all be more strikery than STR powers on a CHA character though ;)
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Damn, there's a LOT of stacking CHA mods in there.  Human or Half-Elf Blackguard with a CHA-MBA FTW.  Especially if it's Human with Virtuous Strike, because you're then hitting vulnerability all the time, too.

Shame.

Hmmmm... this merits further scrutiny.
Blackguard/Morninglord for the inappropriately-amusing win.

Except, of course, that Amaunator is an LG god and Blackguards can only be up to U.  Bleth.  Alignment restrictions FTL.
I wasn't sure I'd like any of the classes from HoS but MC's build makes Blackguard look kewl.

Some are saying their damage isn't up to other Strikers but this one seems fine, and has good durability.
New signature under development.
@space invader - LMAO

@ - Viv - Thanks!  I guess I just wanted to try to throw together an out of the box type Blackguard first and get gears clicking.  Litigation, Spaceinvader (and a few other insightful posters) are absolutely on the right track with a CHAladin Blackguard.  I'll have my take on it up in  a while. 

However I owe Nausicca some Binder info and i need to salvage my spoiler thread before it becomes troll food ;)  
^Too late. It seemed to have gotten locked
One thing I've been wondering - is it really "frenzing"?  Or is it frenzying?  The former isn't actually a word.
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me

Not just locked, it seems gone completely >_<

Wut happen? They didn't want people previewing it like that?

Not just locked, it seems gone completely >_<

Wut happen? They didn't want people previewing it like that?

Probably too much spoilers given.
^That's most likely the case. If the thread were locked for the "trolling" going on in there, we would have seen mods slapping some arms before any drastic actions like that.
Wonderful.  And ya I got slapped with a violation of section 4 email.  Copyright.

Oh well so much for all that then.

Sorry guys.
Blackguard/Morninglord for the inappropriately-amusing win.

Except, of course, that Amaunator is an LG god and Blackguards can only be up to U.  Bleth.  Alignment restrictions FTL.

Actually, here's a fun fact. The exact alignment of your god restriction seems only to apply to O-Paladins. Their PHB1 entry is the only place I know of in all of 4e that mentions it. The E-Paladin subclasses, on the other hand, don't mention such alignment restrictions on the god they can choose, just on their Virtue/Vice. (And, of course, E-Paladins can even choose to worship no god.)

So an Amaunator-worshipping Blackguard is, in fact, RAW-legal. Although admittedly, if I'm a DM, the player had better give me a damn good explanation before I let it on the table. :P
Wonderful.  And ya I got slapped with a violation of section 4 email.  Copyright.

Sorry guys.

Yeah, sorry you got slapped with the infraction, but hey, at least the knowledge is out there now. So thanks for that.

That probably means I should delay filling out my Blackguard guide too much. 

Sorry guys.

If anything, we all need to apoligize to you. Thnx for giving us a glimpse at the book and all.

As always MC, well done. I definitely like the flavor and potential of this build. Very nice.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..

Sorry guys.

For something obscene's sake.

Your thread was probably the single best piece of advertising for HoS I've seen.

This is a shining example of how WotC have a fundamental disconnect from at least a significant proportion, if not the majority, of their market.

Sorry guys.

Your thread was probably the single best piece of advertising for HoS I've seen.

This is a shining example of how WotC have a fundamental disconnect from at least a significant proportion, if not the majority, of their market.

Though I somewhat agree, there was A LOT of information in that thread.  In fact, there was enough info to build a blackguard without the book, which is what someone in the thread did.  I can see why they closed it.
Guilty party here, although I still wasn't able to choose daily or utility powers all the way. Basically, I just had all the relevant bits needed for a Blackguard DPR build.

By the way, I believe if I went Half-Orc with my Gouge Blackguard, I'd probably break 100 DPR.

Sorry guys.

Though I somewhat agree, there was A LOT of information in that thread.  In fact, there was enough info to build a blackguard without the book, which is what someone in the thread did.  I can see why they closed it.

Giving people a real look inside, at the structure of the classes and races right through from level 1 to level 30, is probably the single best way to persuade them to buy.  It went some way towards persuading me - I'm interested in playing a Blackguard now, but I just doubt I'll get the chance, because of the fact that my LFR group is way overloaded with Strikers, and I'm too nice to insist on playing one.

So yeah, I understand why it was closed.  I've grown to, I think, have a solid understanding of how WotC think about content protection in respect to D&D.  I can understand why.

I just think it's stupid.  A simple request to stop posting copied content and allowing MC_D to keep posting general descriptions of content (probably not including power names, not posting direct copies of things, but answering questions about mechanics) would have sufficed.

Closing (and possibly deleting, I can no longer find it unless I'm being blind) the thread is an overreaction.

I understand the decision, but I definitely don't agree with it.
I'd just like to say that I now own HoS at least partly because of that thread.
I'm getting mine monday, and it's pretty ridiculous they just shut it down. Alas, thanks for the glimpse.
Sorry guys.

No yeah we should be thanking you (so thanks) and "our bad" as a whole, not just yours. (And yeah, that thread and this one made me curious about getting it myself sooner instead of later, so WotC...shame!)
I'm sorry the thread got locked, but more sorry that you got the advice, MC. ^^

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/14.jpg)

Sign In to post comments