Stay Thirsty, My Friends: A Vampire Handbook

741 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Vampire Handbook
I Don't Always Play Vampires

But when I do, I prefer Hybrid.
Stay thirsty, my friends.
Seriously, that's it. Vampire is a class mechanically incapable of being an optimized Striker, and in many cases barely capable of being a Striker at all. It really doesn't help that every single significant class feature is contained in the Hybrid Vampire. Heck, many of the relevant features are in the multiclass feat! So, if you want to play an optimized Vampire...  play something else, multiclass or Hybrid, and look up that class's handbook.

In other words, if your Vampire is an optimized Vampire... 

...He's Got A Little Hybrid In Him.
On the CO IRC, generally as TorpedoFish.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
You're the straightest shooter I know on these boards. You don't mince words about your opinions, and I respect that about you. The whole fiasco you described in the last State of the CO Forum was particularly enlightening (and kind of disappointing with regards to how they see us).
56868168 wrote:
Ah, Tsuyo. When your post isn't one sentence long full of asterisks, you have much wisdom to share with us .
From the IRC:
(19:52) RuinsFate: You know, I was gonna agree with something PalOn said... but I think I'm just gonna through my lot in with tsuyo's sudden train-wreck grade interjection. (01:45) Nausicaa: yes your rage is a righteous rage :D (01:45) Nausicaa: righteous rage of torpedo
My sci-fi writing.
Warning!

This handbook contains copious amounts of Iconic Vampire. Women with heart conditions are advised not to look directly at Iconic Vampire. This also applies to women without heart conditions. He's very pretty - see? See how pretty he is? He's very pretty! I'd like to run my fingers through his hair, and I'm just a voice! 
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
You're the straightest shooter I know on these boards. You don't mince words about your opinions, and I respect that about you. The whole fiasco you described in the last State of the CO Forum was particularly enlightening (and kind of disappointing with regards to how they see us).
56868168 wrote:
Ah, Tsuyo. When your post isn't one sentence long full of asterisks, you have much wisdom to share with us .
From the IRC:
(19:52) RuinsFate: You know, I was gonna agree with something PalOn said... but I think I'm just gonna through my lot in with tsuyo's sudden train-wreck grade interjection. (01:45) Nausicaa: yes your rage is a righteous rage :D (01:45) Nausicaa: righteous rage of torpedo
My sci-fi writing.
Hello, gamers.

Look at your striker, now back to me, now back at your striker, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped killing things with weapons and switched to Vampire, he could strike like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the striker your striker could strike like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two items that do that thing you love. Look again, the items are now astral diamonds. Anything is possible when your man strikes like a Vampire and not a normal striker. I’m on a horse.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
56868168 wrote:
From the IRC:
My sci-fi writing.
You ever notice how everything you say is creepier when you add "ladies" to the end?
Well, hello!  I'm the Vampire, the new striker from Heroes of Shadow!

...Ladies.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
56868168 wrote:
From the IRC:
My sci-fi writing.
He does less damage than an O-Sassin with no feats and a primary dump stat.

Small children cry when he shows up at their LFR tables.

He once dealt a creature its bloodied value in damage, then went back to playing his class.

He is...

...the Iconic Vampire.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
56868168 wrote:
From the IRC:
My sci-fi writing.
The Iconic Vampire
On One-Shotting Encounters
Heroes of Shadow
"I assure you: most women would not consider finishing in six seconds a virtue."

Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
56868168 wrote:
From the IRC:
My sci-fi writing.
The Iconic Vampire
On the Two-Surge System
Heroes of Shadow
"The hot Tiefling Fighter's is the one you want to spend."
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
56868168 wrote:
From the IRC:
My sci-fi writing.
The Iconic Vampire
On Life
Heroes of Shadow
"It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary."

Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
56868168 wrote:
From the IRC:
My sci-fi writing.
The Iconic Vampire
On Party Roles
Heroes of Shadow
"Find out what it is in the game that you do not do well, and then don't do that thing."

Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
56868168 wrote:
From the IRC:
My sci-fi writing.
The Iconic Vampire
On Daily Power Selection
Heroes of Shadow
"The right look should suffice."

Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
56868168 wrote:
From the IRC:
My sci-fi writing.
That should be all, but one more for good luck.  Feel free to post.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
56868168 wrote:
From the IRC:
My sci-fi writing.
LMAO - I totally approve of this.

I'll delete this post if need be.  Carry on. 
Best guide ever.  I'm impressed with how quickly you finished it.

You're not actually thinking of changing it, right?  Because it's perfect right now. 
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me
Best guide ever.  I'm impressed with how quickly you finished it.

You're not actually thinking of changing it, right?  Because it's perfect right now. 

Thread win. 

This is awesome. Looking forward to it.
Those first two posts are just awesome. You really need to archive them/keep them in. Both had me in tears, probably a bad thing when I am in class.

Really a great handbook, I think it covers all the aspects and complexities of the Vampire class.
So are all the vampire powers Gold?  You literally have to take them, you don't get any more "must take" than that.

Not really sure why you needed to reserve so many spaces.

Racially, any race that doesn't have both Dex and Cha is red: a vampire needs both reasonably high in order to his with the powers that key off of cha (and it's not like be can choose not to take those powers)

a guide to vampires will consist of a discussion about races (ie, pick a dex/cha race, all others are traps) ability scores (ie, pick 18 dex, 14 cha, and 11 con, all others are traps) and the section on powers which will have exactly two entries, level 2 and level 22, with two powers each.

Can't poach powers in any meaningful way (and even if you do, your striker feature won't work with them) and you'll be at a loss for paragon paths for a similar reason.

The only section which will see anything like an actual guide will be on feats, which will be a standard mix of basic feat taxes (unarmored agility, improved defenses, expertise... is there a "focus" feat available?) specific vampire feat taxes (durable, maybe others)  The items section is likely to be interesting because it will include items wich cost healing surges to use.
It...it's beautiful.  If the guide were nothing but Iconic Vampire, I would be ecstatic to read it for vampire-building advice.  

Though in seriousness, I would have to agree with Damon_Tor for the most part.  With fixed powers mostly negating power choice and the split attack stats (some powers rely on Dex, others on Cha) making any race that isn't Dex/Cha just not optimal, it's hard to pick the better choice...because there really isn't a choice.  Luckily there's a lot of races with Dex/Cha though.  Feats, items, and niche builds are pretty much everything here.

Though I do intend to use the Vampire class to build villains.  With some DM tweaking, they can be pretty brutal.
Hahahahaha, amazing! Agree with what others have said here. With the class being on rails as hard as it is, this should totally be a stylish guide. :P
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Dude. Wait until the class comes out. You might be surprised.

For example, I am already looking into ways to use this with Kulkor, as it gets a Vampire MBA.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
56868168 wrote:
From the IRC:
My sci-fi writing.
Could also rate the powers on how useful they are for others to steal ;) Specially the HE using adept dil. to ghetto MC.  The dex based MBA will be big for some builds.  The only downside is that it's a implement attack, but eh, we'll see how it goes.  ;)
I have never been more keen to read one of the handbooks of this board.
This guide is dripping with win.

So I just now read someone saying that the Vampire'll have implement attacks based on CHA?  Hmmm...agreed that a DEX/CHA race will be optimal and I can go off some off the top of my head.

Halfling (lolsmallvampire)
Drow (sexy elf vampire)
Changeling (that shapeshifting effect could come up more often in a campaign if you're caught biting someone)
Goblin (eww...)
Ha. I approve of this guide.

But what is there to even say for the Vampire? Your class-based choices are limited to two utility levels. There's only one class paragon path. There's no class feats. Multiclassing for powers will negate your striker damage on those powers. You have to have high Dexterity and high Charisma to make sure all of your powers are useful, and that means that you don't have a lot of wiggle room for ability score spread (or race choice, since those boosts will matter quite a bit).

This is going to be one short guide.
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.
To be honest, that's why I'm comfortable writing it. I'm not that great at optimization outside of skills, so the only thing I feel I could do justice is something like this.

Also, doing the handbook lets me pick exactly how much Iconic Vampire will be in it. C'est-a-dire, a lot.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
56868168 wrote:
From the IRC:
My sci-fi writing.

This is going to be one short guide.

There is nothing short about Iconic Vampire.
I killed Aleena.
Here's the numbers on those implement attacks. (:

Dexterity Attacks
1 Melee-1 vs Fort At-Will
1 Melee-1 vs Reflex At-Will
2 Close blast 3 vs Fortitude Daily
2 Melee-1 vs Reflex Encounter
1 Close burst 1 vs Reflex Daily
1 Close blast 5 vs Fortitude Daily

Charisma (+2) Attacks
1 Ranged 5 vs Will At-Will
1 Ranged 5 vs Will Daily
1 Close burst 2 vs Will Daily (Beguiler Paragon Path lv20 power)
And then a reasonably complicated level 20 attack for the Stalker PP.

All of these powers are numbered, and some run in sequences of direct replacements of one another.
Swarm of Shadows (Lv 1) >> Hungry Swarm (Lv 15) >> Consuming Swarm (Lv 29)
Domineering Gaze (Lv 9) >> Irresistible Gaze (Lv 25)

This leads me to believe that further powers for the class will also run in sequences. Similar to the Warpriest and Cavalier/Blackguard domain/virtue/vice sequences.
Actually, the Races section of the Vampire class description talks about Halfling Vampires.  Personally, I'm thinking about making a Shade Vampire, just because that would be awesome. 

I wish the Vampire class had a MC feat for it, but since it's written Essentials-style, there is no MC feat.    I guess half-elves in LFR get the best of this since they can retrain their racial power pick and get a Vampire at-will and then take Adept Dilletante to be multiclassed into it.  Not sure if PMCing will be a viable option, but I guess a half-elf playing a CHA primary class could make off with the CHA+2 Vampire at-will and have it as an actual at-will power at paragon...
Shade vampire? You're being ironic yes?

Healing surges are for fools.  Fools and liberals.
Looks like a job for revenant (warforged). Might not be iconic, but minor action surgless heal will go a long way, and allow you to use your surges for damage instead of healing.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

What's wrong with a Shade Vampire?  I happen to like the fact that I can use my allies as shiel- --- ... err, cover.  ;)  And then, after the combat, they let me heal.  It's a win-win. .... for me. 
I've not laughed so hard at a thread on this board ever.

My group has been dominating during this season of Encounters, so I was planning on making a Shade Vampire for next reason to up the challenge on myself a little more. 

My group has been dominating during this season of Encounters, so I was planning on making a Shade Vampire for next reason to up the challenge on myself a little more. 

Make him attack with his eyes closed too. Better go hardcore to up the ante. :P
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).

OBEY 

MY THIRST 

"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
HALFLING VAMPIRE

Bringing new meaning to the term "ankle biter" since 2011!
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I think you should put the "reserving for future disagreement" feat in light blue. It's useful for almost every race.
I think you should put the "reserving for future disagreement" feat in light blue. It's useful for almost every race.

Now hold on there! [Insert feat here] isn't that good for [insert race, class, paragon path, feat, or power here], and that's kind of a big deal. I wouldn't rate [insert feat here] higher than blue, especially if you aren't using [insert feat or power here].

[Insert completely different feat here] should definately be red, I think. No synergy at all.
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.
I was thinking about a Blood Red Shardmind Vampire, but since they don't need to eat or drink then I guess the dependency on blood is out.
HALFLING VAMPIRE

Bringing new meaning to the term "ankle biter" since 2011!

*cough* 2002 *cough*

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.