How exactly does Psionic Augmentation work?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello WOTC Forums! I'm in the middle of a small argument here, and would like some guidance to clear it up. Google didn't really help, and the sources I DID get were questioned, so here goes...!

When Augmenting a power, does the power stay augmented for the rest of the encounter, or are the Power Points expended and the power unaugmented after the attack? For Example:

Let's say a Lvl 1 Ardent uses Energizing Strike on a poor hobgoblin. She decides to augment it to 2. Would that mean each subsequent Energizing Strike is Augment 2, or is it reverted to Augment 0?

Is there any Errata covering it, and if so, what? (We're playing pure PHBs. Not getting into Errata and the likes)

Thanks in advance!
No, the augmentation only applies to that use of the power.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
When you augment a power, only that specific use of the power benefits from the augmentation.
*sigh* okay, thanks.

Another small question now:

Is it the DM's responsibility to know this?

AKA: If the DM knows no better, is it fine for a player to pretend it's continuous anyways?

The players I'm arguing with are convinced I'm wantonly trying to nerf them >_>
It's everybody's responsibility to play by the rules.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Matters of personal responsibility are a question of social contract and general ethis, rather than rules of the game. I'd say you have, at the very least, the responsibility to not be the one taking advantage of the DM's ignorance. Whether you have the duty to stop someone else taking advantage, I would advise that, yes, it would probably be best, but that's going to depend on your group's dynamic.

I'd also like to second what Salla said. Everybody has a responsibility to not be taking advantage. But, to reiterate, I can't tell you if it's your responsibility to make sure other people live up to their responsibilities.
Is it the DM's responsibility to know this?

Generally, yes.

AKA: If the DM knows no better, is it fine for a player to pretend it's continuous anyways?

That's cheating and cheating is not fine.
Think you can survive a zombie attack? Click here to find out.

It Came From Section Four!
Warning: Posts my contain evil.

Orc in the House of Trolls
Seconded on the cheating bit, if the DM is making a choice then fine, if the DM just hasn't read PHB3 then you should have the DM read PHB3.

For further explanation of power points and augmentation, they are really the psionic version of encounter powers.  Treat them as such.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Matters of personal responsibility are a question of social contract and general ethis, rather than rules of the game. I'd say you have, at the very least, the responsibility to not be the one taking advantage of the DM's ignorance. Whether you have the duty to stop someone else taking advantage, I would advise that, yes, it would probably be best, but that's going to depend on your group's dynamic.

I'd also like to second what Salla said. Everybody has a responsibility to not be taking advantage. But, to reiterate, I can't tell you if it's your responsibility to make sure other people live up to their responsibilities.

In other words, DON'T BE A SCHMUCK! 
The sycophants and EULA quoters aren't worth our time. 4E =/= Essentials; Essentials =/= 4E. To WotC/DDI: GO "SOON" YOURSELVES. Internet Rule #41. Needs moar Desu. No exceptions.
We play by the rules that the PC's need to know what there powers/features do. The DM has enough to do without reading every class.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

[snark] Remember those encounter powers that all the other classes had before the PHB3? Augmentation turns At Wills to Encounters for an use of that power. [/snark]

Really, if a player is making a power continuosly augmented after the first use, he either is reading something that simply is not there, or cheating on purpose.
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
Sorry to bump a thread that hasn't been updated in over 2 years, but can someone point me to where I can find a ruling that specifies that an augmentation is just for the turn on which the Power Points are expended? I've checked in PHB3 and the Rule's Compendium's entries on the Augmentable keyword, as well as seeing if there was anything more in the Errata. I just don't see a specific indication that an Augmentation lasts just for one turn.

Don't get me wrong. I get the logic of an Augmented Power, which replaces an Encounter Power, only being extra badass for one turn, and I've seen how broken it is to keep the Augmented Powers Augmented for the whole encounter. I'm just looking for the rules that will tip the scales within our party from "this seems kinda broken" to "this is actually illegal".
Sorry to bump a thread that hasn't been updated in over 2 years, but can someone point me to where I can find a ruling that specifies that an augmentation is just for the turn on which the Power Points are expended? I've checked in PHB3 and the Rule's Compendium's entries on the Augmentable keyword, as well as seeing if there was anything more in the Errata. I just don't see a specific indication that an Augmentation lasts just for one turn.

Don't get me wrong. I get the logic of an Augmented Power, which replaces an Encounter Power, only being extra badass for one turn, and I've seen how broken it is to keep the Augmented Powers Augmented for the whole encounter. I'm just looking for the rules that will tip the scales within our party from "this seems kinda broken" to "this is actually illegal".

So sayeth the rules:

Augmentable

An effect type. A power that has the augmentable keyword has optional augmentations, which a character can use at the cost of power points. Only certain characters have power points, usually as a result of their class. Unless otherwise noted, using an augmentable power follows these rules.

Decide First: A creature must decide whether and how to augment an augmentable power when it chooses to use the power, before making any attack rolls or applying any of the power’s effects.

Power Point Cost: An augmentation specifies its cost in power points. For example, “Augment 1” means a creature must spend 1 power point to use an augmentation. The creature must spend the required power points when it decides to use the augmentation.

One at a Time: A creature can use only one augmentation on a power at a time, so it can’t, for example, spend 3 power points to use both a 1-point and a 2-point augmentation on a single power.

Replace Base Effects: When a power is augmented, changes to the power are noted in the description of the augmentation. If an augmentation includes a specific power entry, such as “Hit” or “Effect,” that entry replaces the entry in the base power that has the same name. An augmented version of a power is otherwise identical to the base power.

Unaugmented: When a creature uses an augmentable power without augmenting it, the power is referred to as unaugmented for that use (some effects apply only when a power is unaugmented). A power that doesn’t have the augmentable keyword is never considered unaugmented.

At-Will Attack Powers: When a power or some other effect lets a creature use an at-will attack power, the creature can choose to use one of its augmentable at-will attack powers, but must use it unaugmented. When a racial trait lets an adventurer choose an extra at-will attack power and the adventurer chooses an augmentable at-will attack power, the power loses both the augmentable keyword and its augmentations.

While there is nothing that specifically says that Augments are for one use of the power only, the bolded parts of the description of Augmentable above strongly suggest single use rather than persistent.

Powers and abilities do exactly what they say they do in 4E, nothing more, nothing less. Throughout 4E, powers that persist until the end of the encounter are specifically called out (protip: almost all of these powers are Daily powers). There is established language for these kind of effects. None of the augementable powers have this language. A number of the powers themselves suggest the temporary nature of the augmentation by having augmentable effects that last until the beginning or end of the player's next turn. If these powers were meant to be persistent, why use EoNT language?

But, if you as the DM, feel that it is alright for a player to have three Encounter Attack powers that they can use At-Will (every power point user gains enough power points to fully augment all of their at wills once) by having the Augment stick, that's on you.

It becomes worse at Paragon, when you easily have enough augment points to augment your low-level at-wills 2 or 3 times per encounter each...

Unless it specifically says it lasts longer than a single use of the power (it doesn't) then it doesn't.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.