04/05/2011 LI: "How to Tell if You're Infected"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

A pretty interesting article this week.  Obviously, there will be exceptions where you may only have two infect creatures after pack 1 but then open something bomby and infectious which is going to push you that way. 

For example, if you have a Blightwidow and a Rot Wolf and open a Putrefax then I would take the Putrefax and look to take as many Corpse Curs as I could find.  Putrefax can win the game with 2 hits even if infect is a subtheme.  I am sure many people would take other cards over the Putrefax but that is just my opinion.

Just one question, we are now more than 25% through the year and still no walkthrough.  What about SS' New Year's Resolution?
A pretty interesting article this week.  Obviously, there will be exceptions where you may only have two infect creatures after pack 1 but then open something bomby and infectious which is going to push you that way. 

For example, if you have a Blightwidow and a Rot Wolf and open a Putrefax then I would take the Putrefax and look to take as many Corpse Curs as I could find.  Putrefax can win the game with 2 hits even if infect is a subtheme.  I am sure many people would take other cards over the Putrefax but that is just my opinion.

Just one question, we are now more than 25% through the year and still no walkthrough.  What about SS' New Year's Resolution?

There are likely to be more infect creatures in 8 packs of MBS than in 8 packs of SOM, so if you only get 2 infect creatures pack one, I wouldn't rate your chances of getting any in pack 3. I've had drafts where I got 6 in opack one, and couldn't get to 12 by the end

Sure putrefax is great, but if you go in on infect, end up with 8 infect creatures including putrefax, then you will probably lose any game where you don't draw putrefax. Once you have played it once and retrived from graveyeard with corpse cur, people will be expecting it and hold blockers back.

I would be unhappy goinjg for infect even if I got 4 infect  creatures in pack 1, and would keep trying only with a very solid infect (putrefax, skitherix, HotP, corpse cur, tanlge angler) creature P2p1 or p2p2
These days, I pick the removal or the swords over the infect creatures, even if I did get a couple of 2/2 Infect flyers in pack 1.  The thing is - one infect creature can go all the way if unchallenged and/or enhanced.  If you do pick removal and equipment higher, then you can get away with fewer infect creatures and still expect to win.

I drafted a winning deck recently that had just 5 infect creatures (it helped that one was the 5/5 monster, but I also had the 2/1 artifact and the 2/2 black french vanilla) - but it also had a couple of big swords, and plenty of spot removal, and a Morbid Plunder.  If you can get Graften Exoskeleton that's even better.  The thing is, if you value removal and swords higher, then you have much more freedom to just take good cards (Alpha Tyrranax), as well as having answers.

Recently I couldn't believe my luck when I opened my second pack and got a Skythiryx!  However, it also had a Sylvok Replica.  In the draft, I was on the way to a 3-0, until I came up against Mimic Vat.dec .  The thing is by luck I didn't get to cast Skythiryx in the entire draft - either winning before I drew or cast it - or allowing Mimic Vat.dec to get on top early.  Turns out I would have been better off with the Replica!  Especially with Morbid Plunder as well...  (You could argue it would send bad signals to pass Skythiryx which could be true...)

I think you can seriously make a case now for taking the removal even over the best cards now that there are so many "I win" alpha threats.
very true, I often get caught looking at some bomb across the table that I have no answers for, wishing I had taken that flesh allergy P2P2
In the 4/3/2/2 draft queues online, I just can't seem to draft infect.  I'll often open a pack with a worthless rare (Knowledge Pool) and take something like Blightwidow, then get passed nothing for infect.
In the prerelease for MBS no one that drafted infect was near the top. It seems that not drafting infect and drafting efficient removal is good way to put yourself in the top tier.
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
In the prerelease for MBS no one that drafted infect was near the top. It seems that not drafting infect and drafting efficient removal is good way to put yourself in the top tier.

By "MBS prerelease" I assume you're referring to sealed, in which case I think infect has much less of an advantage there.