Dungeons and Dragons . . . LEGO ? ? ?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
So . . .

Star Wars LEGO.

Prince of Persia LEGO.

Harry Potter LEGO.

Why not Dungeons and Dragons LEGO.

During our monthly D & D game, I pull out a few LEGO figures to use for characters.

LEGO is also good for other things . . .

Pillars, Alters, Stairs and Doors . . .

Works a little better than the tokens.

The tokens are great for monsters, but the characters can sometimes get lost.

( With all the other tokens on the battle map . . . )

With the D & D miniatures line dead, could this work ? ? ?

What do you think . . .
So . . .

Star Wars LEGO.

Prince of Persia LEGO.

Harry Potter LEGO.

Why not Dungeons and Dragons LEGO.

During our monthly D & D game, I pull out a few LEGO figures to use for characters.

LEGO is also good for other things . . .

Pillars, Alters, Stairs and Doors . . .

Works a little better than the tokens.

The tokens are great for monsters, but the characters can sometimes get lost.

With the D & D miniatures line dead, could this work ? ? ?

What do you think . . .

A very strong part of me wishes I had never bought miniatures, but rather, had picked up lego sets instead.  They would work so very well.  Se la vie...
Gotta say "meh".  I think the lego characters are cute...but that's my problem with them being used as DnD miniatures.  They're too cute.  Too cartoony.  It breaks my sense of immersion.

That said, I've heard several people talk about using them, so I know a lot of people like them.  They're the right size and readily available, so they are certainly a viable alternative.  You know...to each their own. :-)
LEGOs work just fine.  I use Playskool characters to represent villagers and townsfolk.

They even have gnolls!
LEGO even had dwarves and orcs in the past!

Sadly we can't for various corporate reason, what with Hasbro wanting to compete with LEGO on more than one occasion.

Ther latest foray into the world of building block was revealed recently, called Kre-O and so far includes only Transformers sets and minifigures (or Kreons) of Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and Starscream, with more on the way.

Hasbro should tap into the Dungeons & Dragons brand to produce competition for LEGO's castle sets and also allow us to use them for our game.
58292718 wrote:
I love Horseshoecrabfolk. What I love most about them is that they seem to be the one thing that we all can agree on.
See for yourself, click here!
lol at the gnoll
Lego can get really damn expensive.  It helps that bricklink.com is available now (selling "singles" for legos at reasonable prices), but even then, things like the minifigures can still be pricey.

I still have all of my legos from when I was a kid, and I still play with them.  Though nowadays it's mostly army-building for Brickwars (aka - Best Tabletop Wargame Ever).
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
You're actually not talking about Lego. That's a company, like Hasbro. What you're talking about is Lego Bricks. 
And, interestingly enough, their trademark on the company's signature brand has expired. Probably why they're pushing new lines like Bionacle and Hero Factory and emphasising movie and comic tie-ins. Soon anyone will be able to make Lego compatible products. Even Hasbro. 

Now, that would be a super fun D&D product. You can already see some products coming out. Hasbro should totally assign that to WotC or have them work with another company. A Lego-style 3D dungeon builder would be an excellent competition for Dwarven Forge.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Lego figures really aren't any cheaper than miniatures. Lego just happens to have a much larger audience, so they can still sell their uber expensive stuff.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.
Lego figures really aren't any cheaper than miniatures. Lego just happens to have a much larger audience, so they can still sell their uber expensive stuff.

'cept that a lego minifigure is customizable. They even got a hair piece with elven ears now!

So if I want to make a specific character I can take a body here, some gloved hands there, a face here and a hair piece or hat there andgive it the weapon my character DOES use in the game.

And like you say, its compatible with more than just the game, with any sets they want to sell to kids who wouldn't be buying the RPG so it means its got a much wider audiance.
58292718 wrote:
I love Horseshoecrabfolk. What I love most about them is that they seem to be the one thing that we all can agree on.
They even got a hair piece with elven ears now!

Wait, what, when?  I haven't gotten any fantasy legos in a loooong time, but I've been really impressed with how many fantasy races they've been able to cover recently.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)

Wait, what, when?  I haven't gotten any fantasy legos in a loooong time, but I've been really impressed with how many fantasy races they've been able to cover recently.

He's in the third LEGO Mini-figure collection. He comes with a cloth cape, a big shield with a stag and a bow (how he's supposed to use a bow and a shield I have no idea).

IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/Undrave/kcs-lego-8803-series-3-collectible-minifigures-elf.jpg)
58292718 wrote:

He's in the third LEGO Mini-figure collection. He comes with a cloth cape, a big shield with a stag and a bow (how he's supposed to use a bow and a shield I have no idea).

*checks Bricklink*
Cheaper than I expected - only $1.75 for elf-hair! 

Seriously though, that's a lot cheaper than I expected for collection figure parts.  I'm impressed.  Now I have to go shopping again. 
Feedback Disclaimer

*checks Bricklink*
Cheaper than I expected - only $1.75 for elf-hair! 

Seriously though, that's a lot cheaper than I expected for collection figure parts.  I'm impressed.  Now I have to go shopping again. 

For that price you might as well get the whole figure, its shield is really cool looking and the body piece with chainmail can be useful.
58292718 wrote:
I am waiting for a holographic battlemap with dynamic programmable scenery that will have the avatars for the characters and monsters represented by a 3D hologram on the play surface.

Nintendo has a 3D system now that doesn't require 3D glasses...it is only a matter of time before a holographic gameboard is developed..  
"If it's not a conjuration, how did the wizard con·jure/ˈkänjər/Verb 1. Make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic. it?" -anon "Why don't you read fire·ball / fī(-ə)r-ˌbȯl/ and see if you can find the key word con.jure /'kən-ˈju̇r/ anywhere in it." -Maxperson
Loving this idea. I have a MASSIVE Lego collection with loads of minifigs including trolls, skeletons and others I could use for monsters. Gotta get the elf one though.
Playmobil would be fun too. Expensive as hell though :P

I actually suggested that they release minifigure sets targeted at roleplayers and received a form letter stating that it's against company policy to accept suggestions from outsiders.  It strikes as pretty stupid to ignore a potentially awesome product or marketing idea as a matter of policy... especially when the idea is offered freely and with no strings attached.

Fortunately, most companies aren't that stupid.  The forums on wizkidsgame.com vanished shortly after Topps stupidly shut them down and haven't reappeared since NECA revived them, but best I recall, part of the TOS included a bit stating that any such ideas posted on the site became WK's to do with as they please and they don't even have to give you credit (but they always did).  That seems a much better policy than plugging your corporate ears and yelling "I CAN'T HEAR YOU. LA LA LA LA LA."

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

I actually suggested that they release minifigure sets targeted at roleplayers and received a form letter stating that it's against company policy to accept suggestions from outsiders.  It strikes as pretty stupid to ignore a potentially awesome product or marketing idea as a matter of policy... especially when the idea is offered freely and with no strings attached.

Fortunately, most companies aren't that stupid.  The forums on wizkidsgame.com vanished shortly after Topps stupidly shut them down and haven't reappeared since NECA revived them, but best I recall, part of the TOS included a bit stating that any such ideas posted on the site became WK's to do with as they please and they don't even have to give you credit (but they always did).  That seems a much better policy than plugging your corporate ears and yelling "I CAN'T HEAR YOU. LA LA LA LA LA."

The problem is, people are horrible horrible creatures in general.  I recently had to listen to my sister-in-law's mother-in-law go on and on about how, since she wrote to Canada Dry years ago to tell them to start using real ginger again, and they just started using real ginger again, that she deserves a cut of their profits.  She was actually attempting to find a lawyer to represent her.

Bottom line, companies need as many layers of protection as they can get from the frivolous lawsuits people lob at them all the time.  The ToS on the wizkids forums is actually very standard, and is another layer of this protection.  In fact, that same clause is in this forum's ToS as well.

To the topic at hand: yes, I've often felt legos would make an awesome replacement for the standard grid.  You could easily use a lego-based environment with normal D&D minis too.
www.brickset.com/search/?query=heroica

Not quite D&D, but likely the closest we'll see beyond that elf and the castle/medieval themed sets.
www.brickset.com/search/?query=heroica

Not quite D&D, but likely the closest we'll see beyond that elf and the castle/medieval themed sets.

Wow. They're pretty directly going for the D&D-Style Boardgames these days.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.
Sign In to post comments