Beyond Bodily Brutality: the Basics of Building Battleminds

417 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was looking for suggestions for my 3rd at-will.  I'd like to build around taking advantage of Forceful Reversal, which necessitates keeping my enemy adjacent.  Lodestone Lure was my 2nd at-will choice for that reason.  During heroic tier, I though a mult-marking/burst power like Vicious Cobra Strike would complement those two.

It's really once I get to paragon, and 13th level, that I'm not sure which way to go.  I plan on picking up Heavy Blade Opportunity, so that I can use Lodestone Lure as an opportunity attack.  I feel as if this would free me up from having to use LL as my standard attack, since in most cases I can remain adjacent if the enemy tries to move (via Blurred Step or LL as an OA).  So I'm wondering what I might take at 13th (either a 13th or 7th level at-will) that would combo well with FR as my immediate, and LL as my OA.  In some respects, I'm hoping the enemy tries to move away, so I get the chance to hit them again with an OA.  Any suggestions?

I'd be tempted to take Intellect Snap instead of LL. Daze on an OA (or standard) is pretty powerful. 
The Intimident: Ridiculous Intimidate on a Dragonborn Ardent Wild Mindreaver: A Dark Sun Brutal Barrage Crit-Fishing Battlemind Empathic Elements: Making It Rain Healing with an Ardent in Athas
I was looking for suggestions for my 3rd at-will.  I'd like to build around taking advantage of Forceful Reversal, which necessitates keeping my enemy adjacent.  Lodestone Lure was my 2nd at-will choice for that reason.  During heroic tier, I though a mult-marking/burst power like Vicious Cobra Strike would complement those two.

It's really once I get to paragon, and 13th level, that I'm not sure which way to go.  I plan on picking up Heavy Blade Opportunity, so that I can use Lodestone Lure as an opportunity attack.  I feel as if this would free me up from having to use LL as my standard attack, since in most cases I can remain adjacent if the enemy tries to move (via Blurred Step or LL as an OA).  So I'm wondering what I might take at 13th (either a 13th or 7th level at-will) that would combo well with FR as my immediate, and LL as my OA.  In some respects, I'm hoping the enemy tries to move away, so I get the chance to hit them again with an OA.  Any suggestions?

I'd be tempted to take Intellect Snap instead of LL. Daze on an OA (or standard) is pretty powerful. 

I don't want to replace LL, as the goal is to keep my enemy adjacent, and nothing does that better than LL.  Besides, I can pick up Intellect Snap without having to replace LL.  Intellect Snap is a decent option for my standard attack, but I don't like it as my OA - since it doesn't necessarily keep the enemy from getting away from me.

I don't want to replace LL, as the goal is to keep my enemy adjacent, and nothing does that better than LL.  Besides, I can pick up Intellect Snap without having to replace LL.  Intellect Snap is a decent option for my standard attack, but I don't like it as my OA - since it doesn't necessarily keep the enemy from getting away from me.

This is relevant to me as well, I've been thinking about powers along most of the same lines.  It seems to me that if you take Lightning Rush at level 7, intellect snap is very good, since it's great for limiting what an enemy can do once they get away from you, and you can always LR back to them on a subsequent turn.  With Forceful Reversal (and by extension, without lightning rush), the enemy's placement adjacent to you is of utmost importance, so Lodestone Lure seems a little more worth it.
I think there are 2 more feats worth mentioning in either the Strategy section on OAs and/or the Multiclass section on Fighters: Focused Superiority and Savage Axe.  Both of these feats are available in Heroic, require MC Fighter, some limitation on your weapon choice - but the benefit is a damage bonus to OAs equal to a primary or secondary stat.  Focused Superiority requires a one-handed weapon, and gives a damage bonus equal to Wisdom.  Savage Axe requires an axe, and gives a damage bonus equal to Constitution.  They also stack, in case you're a Con/Wis build using a one-handed axe (though I'm not suggesting that one ought to do this).

Anyways, one of the problems with Melee Training is that the base damage is too low.  These feats should help make your OA threatening enough - at least until better options like HBO open up in Paragon.
In Re: Bull's Strength vs Visions of Terror

Many of the players focusing on forced movement will be trying to utilize Polearm Momemtum. Bull's Strength level 2 augment (close blast 3) typically comes out ahead for these builds as, even augmented, Visions of Terror can only knock the single target prone, not the other enemies potentially affected. (Unless the wording on Polearm Momentum has changed). Also acquiring Polearm Momentum and having a high Cha can be quite difficult.

I've played what you're calling a Ronin-build through heroic tier. Bull's Strength level 2 augment (with PM and the right equipment) is frequently good enough to justify not having the PP available for Lightning Rush. Polearm Momentum Battleminds have terrible damage, but this power (and Nightmare Vortex) can make up for it.

So while Visions of Terror is in some ways an upgrade (allowing to the player to achieve 2 spaces of forced movement without Battering Shield or Rushing Cleats), it's more likely to be useful for a Cha-secondary Battlemind dabbling in forced movement than as an upgrade to Bull's Strength. It is useful for 4th (when you get PM) and 5th level (before you get Battering Shield). Once you have your combo in place, Bull's Strength is better. I lucked into Rushing Cleats at the end of 4th and so had Visions of Terror for just 1 level.

I was looking for suggestions for my 3rd at-will.

I have two recommendations.  The first is the old standby of Conductive Defense.  It's accurate, and while it won't encourage enemies to try to move away from you, it will encourage them to target you, making it more likely you'll trigger Forceful Reversal.

If you want to be a little different, and have a decent Charisma score, another option is Kinetic Fist.  The Augment 1 will let you encourage every enemy adjacent to you to try to move away, which will let you get your OA in more often.

Also, good call on Savage Axe and Focused Superiority; I've added them to the Multiclass section.  Similarly, thanks for pointing out the superiority of Bull's Strength for Polearm Momentum builds, Dirge-Overdrive.  I've added a note to Visions of Terror pointing out that it's not the top option in that case.
I was looking for suggestions for my 3rd at-will.

I have two recommendations.  The first is the old standby of Conductive Defense.  It's accurate, and while it won't encourage enemies to try to move away from you, it will encourage them to target you, making it more likely you'll trigger Forceful Reversal.

Conductive Defense does seem like my best option during heroic - maybe replacing it with Ghost in the Steel at 13th.  The only downside is that I won't have an at-will that can target multiple enemies (since the 2 I'm building around are Lodestone Lure and Forceful Reversal).  I'm starting to think that I should try to fill that niche with my 3rd at will.

In that case, Vicious Cobra Strike seems best during heroic.  At 13th, I could replace it with either Ego Crush (Aug 2 = Burst 1 for 2W+Con and can't gain CA) or Psionic Speed (Aug 2 = 3 Targets for 1W+Con and Marked).  Any suggestions on which multi-target at-will to keep during paragon (or even if it's worth devoting an at-will slot to that function)?

@ Dedekine:

Maybe this has been brought up already, though I haven't seen it mentioned on this thread. In your guide, you rated the Lvl. 17 At-Will Power "Festering Wound" red, stating that it isn't a Psychic power. I just read it, and it in fact, does have the Psychic keyword.

Because of the Psychic keyword, I personally would rate it purple, or possibly even black, because of the synergy with Githyanki Silver Weapons. Although, an extra 1d6 dmg at 17th lvl is fairly underwhelming considering how many awesome At-Wills Battleminds get. If it were an extra 1d8, I'd rate it a solid black, but at only 1d6, maybe only purple.
"You got your Essentials in my 4E!" "Well, you got your 4E in my Essentials!"
Any suggestions on which multi-target at-will to keep during paragon (or even if it's worth devoting an at-will slot to that function)?

I'm guessing your strategy is going to be: use LL to pull something adjacent, mark it so Blurred Step can't stop it shift away, and then OAs with LL to stop them moving away?  So the interest in multi-marking is in marking ideally everything adjacen to you, so you can trap as many adjacent enemies as possible?

Assuming I'm correct, the big problem I see is that the more enemies you have next to you, the less effective Blurred Step is.  If they can freely position themselves around you, it actually only takes two to break free.  If you're arranged xox (you as o, enemies as x), the first enemy will shift directly away, and then you're left with a choice as to which one you will stick with -- and no matter what you choose, one gets away free.  Because you're using LL as your OA, you don't really have a meaningful way to stop them just moving into this position: LL does negligible damage and exerts no control over someone who wants to end adjacent to you.  Having one of the enemies locked down with LL does help, in that he can help set up an escape but will still be in easy reach.  However, to guarantee an LL lockdown you'll need to keep using your standard on it, which means no multi-marking.

If you really want to manage more than one adjacent monster with Blurred Step, you need all the creatures you're managing to stay adjacent to each other. That way, when one shifts, you can shift to the square he vacated, leaving you adjacent to all the monsters (assuming, of course, that he can only shift one square; if not, there's no way to manage more than one).   He either can attack you then, or try to move away and be hit with LL as an OA; either way, he's stuck in place so that when the second monster shifts away and forces you to stop being adjacent to monster number one, he'll still be stuck in the same place so that you can pull the two monsters back into the correct arrangement.

That being the case, the power I think you really need is not multi-marking, but forced movement.  The two obvious candidates are Wrenching Claw and Dizzying Strike.  Both would work, but I think I'd suggest Dizzying Strike, since the reach improvement with Wrenching Claw is a bit sad, and the lack of restrictions on Dizzying Strike's slide makes it more versatile.

To answer the first part of your question, which multi-marking power you take depends on how tight you are on power points.  Psionic Speed beats Vicious Cobra Strike without doubt unaugmented, but VCS has a great Augment 2. 
PEACH

Heavy use of polearm and positioning tricks, keeping things prone, possibly dazed, possibly loadstoned a square away (then dazed when they approach).  And of course lighting rush to do it for alies as well.
[sblock build]
Revenant (Deva)
Battlemind (Wild Focus) / Lyander Wind-Rider / Topaz Crusader

Str 14 Con 18 Dex 15 Int   8 Wis 14 Cha 10
Str 16 Con 26 Dex 17 Int 10 Wis 22 Cha 12

Feats:
1: Heavy Blade Expertise
2: Diciple of Death
4: Superior Will  @21 -> Ghostly Vitality
6: Improved Defense
8: Mark of Storms
10: Wrathful Warrior
11: Heavy Blade Oppertunist
12: Telekinetic Savant
14: Polearm Momentum
16: Polearm Gamble
18: Deadly Draw
20: Potent Rebirth
21: Mobile Warrior
22: Long Step
24: Stormhawk Vengnence
26: Restless Dead
28: ????
30: ????

Powers:
Loadstone Lure
Lightning Rush
Intellect Snap

[/sblock]
I don't suppose there's way to get lighning damage (besides item's), or some other way to start sliding?  (Possibly replace windrider?).

Or some way to add psionic speed?  (To bad reserve manuver doesn't work).

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Not that Battle Resilience is a good Psionic Study option, but I'm pretty sure that you do get it for the attack that triggers it (unlike it says in the handbook).  While most free actions resolve as reactions (because you normally can't do something in the middle of another action), free actions with Triggers resolve immediately.  So in this case, Battle Resilience will go off between the triggering enemy's attack and damage rolls.  So you at least get the resistance to one attack.  I'm looking for the rules quote on this, but can't find it easily.  Maybe someone else can back me up.
PEACH

Heavy use of polearm and positioning tricks, keeping things prone, possibly dazed, possibly loadstoned a square away (then dazed when they approach).  And of course lighting rush to do it for alies as well.
[sblock build]
Revenant (Deva)

Feats:
1: Talenta Sharrash
6: Heavy Blade Expertise
20: Improved Defense
24: Potent Rebirth
26: Stormhawk Vengnence
28: Restless Dead

Powers:
Loadstone Lure
Lightning Rush
Intellect Snap

[/sblock]
I don't suppose there's way to get lighning damage (besides item's), or some other way to start sliding?  (Possibly replace windrider?).

Slightly off-topic: did a ruling (besides a CS response) come out that lets non-reach weapons take advantage of Polearm Gamble?
Wondering about that Talenta Sharrash.
PEACH

[sblock build]
Revenant (Deva)

Feats:

Powers:
Loadstone Lure
Lightning Rush
Intellect Snap

[/sblock]

Slightly off-topic: did a ruling (besides a CS response) come out that lets non-reach weapos take advantage of Polearm Gamble?

Hmm...  For some reason i thought they had reach.

Guess i could still use loadstone lure (it's melee 2), and lightning rush (somehow), but i was aiming to daze, so i'll save the feat and use a glaive.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

PEACH

[sblock build]
Revenant (Deva)

Feats:

Powers:
Loadstone Lure
Lightning Rush
Intellect Snap

[/sblock]

Slightly off-topic: did a ruling (besides a CS response) come out that lets non-reach weapos take advantage of Polearm Gamble?

Hmm...  For some reason i thought they had reach.

Guess i could still use loadstone lure (it's melee 2), and lightning rush (somehow), but i was aiming to daze, so i'll save the feat and use a glaive.

Whether they have Reach is a subject of debate. It doesn't have the Reach property, but the Polearm group says "Polearms are Reach weapons."
I've never seen a ruling to suggest that there should be some controversy here.

Talenta Sharrash does not have the reach property. Thats's it: no reach.
All polearms in the PHB had reach and the Polearm weapon group fluff there said "polearms are reach weapons". Now a couple wacky polearms don't have the reach property, and the polearm fluff from 2008 is at best a generalization. 

Weapons with the reach property have reach. Weapons without the reach property do not have reach.

I've never seen a ruling to suggest that there should be some controversy here.

Talenta Sharrash does not have the reach property. Thats's it: no reach.
All polearms in the PHB had reach and the Polearm weapon group fluff there said "polearms are reach weapons". Now a couple wacky polearms don't have the reach property, and the polearm fluff from 2008 is at best a generalization. 

Weapons with the reach property have reach. Weapons without the reach property do not have reach.

While I happen to agree with you, but this is the internet, when has obvious ever stopped there from being controversy?
Any suggestions on which multi-target at-will to keep during paragon (or even if it's worth devoting an at-will slot to that function)?

I'm guessing your strategy is going to be: use LL to pull something adjacent, mark it so Blurred Step can't stop it shift away, and then OAs with LL to stop them moving away?  So the interest in multi-marking is in marking ideally everything adjacen to you, so you can trap as many adjacent enemies as possible?

I guess I was thinking of different reasons for having a multi-target at-will.  One was for minion clearing.  The other was for situations when it was more important to punish a group in some way than it was to ensure that one particular enemy couldn't get away (via LL).  So it was more of an alternate to LL, rather than finding a way to combo LL with multi-marking.  I started to think in these terms when I realized that my power selection left me no way to attack more than one target.  Thus, I thought it would be more valuable for my 3rd at-will to handle to the mult-target niche, rather than combo-ing with LL (which was my original intention - and Conductive Defense did seem best for that purpose).

I was confused by one thing in your post.  If I used LL to pull something adjacent, then the enemy cannot shift  or move away from me.  So my main reason for marking it would be to use Mind Spike on it, rather than Blurred Step.  Is that right?
@Hagfish: Thank you for the catch on Festering Wound!  I have no idea what exactly was going through my head when I wrote that rating.  I've bumped it up to black.  The synergy with Psychic Lock is fairly obvious, and that extra 1d6 of damage, sad as it might be, does appear right before epic, when everyone else gets an extra [W] and battleminds don't.

I guess I was thinking of different reasons for having a multi-target at-will.

Okay, fair enough.  Like I said, Psionic Speed if you want to save power points, VCS if you're prepared to splurge.

I was confused by one thing in your post.  If I used LL to pull something adjacent, then the enemy cannot shift  or move away from me.  So my main reason for marking it would be to use Mind Spike on it, rather than Blurred Step.  Is that right?

If what you're trying to do is go for a black hole, then you can trap one enemy next to you with LL, and as long as you hit him you don't need to mark him.  However, to keep other enemies next to you, you need them marked to use Blurred Step.  Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

@Erren: The rules reference is the Rules Compendium, page 197: "If an effect has a trigger but is neither an immediate action nor an opportunity action, assume that it behaves like an immediate reaction, waiting for its trigger to completely resolve."  Followed by the caveat that this doesn't apply if the power cannot work unless it interrupts the trigger, but this isn't the case for Battle Resilience.  Battle Resilience would interrupt the second hit of a multi-part attack, but in the case of a single attack roll, the resistance appears after the hit has been resolved.

@mellored: The only two ways I can think of to get lightning or thunder on powers are to be stormsoul or firesoul genasi with Shocking Flame (I believe the consensus is that Extra Manifestation doesn't work with revenants), or to use Thundering Force (which either requires getting a Force weapon or changing all your powers to go to a Forceful Reveral/Wrenching Claw/Kinetic Fist(?) build).  So basically, you're stuck using a Lightning Weapon.

@Erren: The rules reference is the Rules Compendium, page 197: "If an effect has a trigger but is neither an immediate action nor an opportunity action, assume that it behaves like an immediate reaction, waiting for its trigger to completely resolve."  Followed by the caveat that this doesn't apply if the power cannot work unless it interrupts the trigger, but this isn't the case for Battle Resilience.  Battle Resilience would interrupt the second hit of a multi-part attack, but in the case of a single attack roll, the resistance appears after the hit has been resolved.

I've never seen Battle Resilience ruled this way at a table
But then the Rules Compendium screwed up so many things it's hard to keep track.

Edit: I guess this is how it works now. If BR just reduced damage from the attack it would kick in on the first attack, but because it gives you lasting resistance it doesn't kick in till after. What a beautifully ridiculous rule they shoved into 4E for no reason Essentials. 

Edit: I guess this is how it works now. If BR just reduced damage from the attack it would kick in on the first attack, but because it gives you lasting resistance it doesn't kick in till after. What a beautifully ridiculous rule they shoved into 4E for no reason Essentials.

Pretty much.  The rule is technically older than Essentials, but the timing of free actions was clarified in a FAQ about Divine Challenge, if I recall correctly, and so many groups -- and, I suspect, developers -- missed it.  The rule is very clearly a kludge for the fact that there was no consensus among developers as to the timing of triggered free and no action powers.

@mellored: The only two ways I can think of to get lightning or thunder on powers are to be stormsoul or firesoul genasi with Shocking Flame (I believe the consensus is that Extra Manifestation doesn't work with revenants)

That's the CS ruling.  I wouldn't call it a consensus though.  It's a very gray area.

Thundering Force (which either requires getting a Force weapon or changing all your powers to go to a Forceful Reveral/Wrenching Claw/Kinetic Fist(?) build).  So basically, you're stuck using a Lightning Weapon.

Yea, it seems so.  Though concussive spike seems like it could fit in the build...

Though it does bring up some interesting questions...
Can i use Forceful Reversal/Kinetic Shield/Lightning Rush as an OA? (it would seem so, but i would loose my standard).
If i hit with wrenching claw, do they have to end adjacent?  (slide adjacent, then slide away?).

Kinetic Shield makes me want to make a goliath reach build...  (with psionic speed).

hmm... mabey stoneblessed instead of windrider.... Thoughts?

guides
Power
my builds

As I remember it, that initial rule change was about putting free actions into the middle of other actions, but it dealt just with non-triggered free actions. Dwarven Armor's daily power was the poster child. That rule 'clarification' had no effect on BR, which has a trigger. The 'clarification' first showed up on a podcast last April. Then there was a PHB FAQ addition in mid-August (in #40 I think, the line is gone now) that said that the effects of DC don't interrupt. The Divine Challenge FAQ answer allowed the non-triggered free action effect to take place but delayed the damage application till after the resolution of the event/action, so that DC wouldn't kill the enemy before their attack. But DC's damage was never a free action, just a delayed conditional effect. Does the paladin even have to be conscious (or alive) for the damage to go off?

The Essentials Rules Compendium version went above and beyond that and created the ridiculousness we have now. I would also argue that the earlier changes were made with a mind towards Essentials coming out. The RC was mostly 'done' by the time the DC FAQ came out.
Our current campaign is having a lot of near survivals - last sessions for example half the party retroactively didn't die due to a disruptive strike.  A lot of the problem stems from the earthstrength warden who refuses to use a shield (two handed weapons deal more damage don't you know), who insists on marking everything and charging a lot, even though its suboptimal for a warden.  Basically we go two fights before he is completely out of surges, which, for a warden, is rather impressive.

So I have been planning a replacement tank in the case he takes us all out with him.  None of us have played a battlemind before so we have never seen one in action.  The guide has been handy, but I'm still seekng some opinions.

My plan is to take a Gnoll Harrier Battlemind.  I like gnolls - and they would seem to make decent battleminds due to their speed and stats amd the racial abilities aren't useless, though they do tend more towards the striker.  Still, bonus damage never hurt.

What I am aiming for is to go sword and board with plate armour, Talaric Ironjack and Topaz Crusader.  I'd like to get Agile Plate which with the other defences bonuses should make it very hard to hit.  The aim is of course to take Lighting Rush and impose the formidable defences between the enemy and allies.

A rough end build is this;
Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Gnoll, Battlemind, Talaric Ironjack, Topaz Crusader
Psionic Study Option: Persistent Harrier
Bound to Greatness Option: Bound to Greatness (Constitution)
Birth - Prophecy (Religion class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 30, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 18, DEX 11, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 10

AC: 51 Fort: 46 Ref: 41 Will: 40
HP: 239 Surges: 19 Surge Value: 59

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +20, Endurance +26, Perception +24, Religion +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +14, Arcana +15, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +17, Heal +17, History +15, Insight +17, Intimidate +18, Nature +17, Stealth +14, Streetwise +16, Thievery +14

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Gnoll Racial Power: Ferocious Charge
Battlemind Feature: Battlemind's Demand
Battlemind Feature: Blurred Step
Battlemind Feature: Mind Spike
Battlemind Feature: Persistent Harrier
Endurance Utility 2: Inspiring Fortitude
Religion Utility 6: Deliverance of Faith
Battlemind Attack 7: Lightning Rush
Endurance Utility 10: Reactive Surge
Talaric Ironjack Attack 11: Iron-Hewed Smash
Talaric Ironjack Utility 12: Enduring Body
Battlemind Attack 13: Intellect Snap
Battlemind Attack 15: Mind Blade
Battlemind Utility 16: Instant Move
Talaric Ironjack Attack 20: Overwhelming Force
Battlemind Utility 22: Indomitable Maneuver
Battlemind Attack 23: Might of the Ogre
Battlemind Attack 25: Stolen Vigor
Topaz Crusader Utility 26: Topaz Corona
Battlemind Attack 29: Omniscient Strike

FEATS
Level 1: Melee Training (Constitution)
Level 2: Harrying Step
Level 4: Heavy Blade Expertise
Level 6: Defender of the Wild
Level 8: Sudden Roots
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Heavy Blade Opportunity
Level 12: Armor Proficiency: Plate
Level 14: Armor Specialization (Plate)
Level 16: Fierce Charge
Level 18: Harrier's Control
Level 20: Eyes in the Back of Your Head
Level 21: Rapid Mind Spike
Level 22: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 24: Heavy Armor Agility
Level 26: Demand's Reach

ITEMS
Agile Godplate Armor +6 x1
Heavy Shield x1
Brooch of Vitality +6 x1
Magic Longsword +6 x1
====== End ======

Still working on feats and items - any advice would be appreciated.

The initial at-wills and their replacements are;
Conductive Defence -> Intellect Snap
Vicious Cobra Strike -> Lightning Rush
Lodestone Lure -> Might of the Ogre

With HBO, MC Warden & Sudden Roots the aim is to slow them early on until Intellect Snap comes along then daze and slow them.  Lodestone Lure and then Might of the Ogre are the main standard attacks, with the PPs reserved for Lightning Rush.

If I hit with an A1 Conductive Defense and that enemy shifts into a square that is adjacent to two of my allies, I am presuming that the extra damage only triggers once since it is keyed off the move, not the number of allies. On the other hand if they use a multi-target power, would it trigger for each ally hit with the power?
I'd like to get Agile Plate

No. Except from 26 onwards. Get Dwarven Armor or resistances instead.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Yeah, after doing a bit more looking through things I decided against the Agile plate early on - dwarvern armour works to give him more ability to stay on his feet and not be a drain on the healer.

After a bit more of a think it looks like I might stick with Lodestone Lure for HBO, at least until Might of the Ogre - or maybe even it may not get replaced.

I'd need a third at-will then; Lightning Rush, Lodestone Lure/Might of the Ogre an one other.

Still need to work out a good weapon to pick up. 
Mist Weapon is an at-will that targets Reflex. While it is a bit on the limited side, that should make it better than Red. Targeting Insubstantial is likely also party-based - if you know the Defender will take Mist Weapon, it gives the party the ability to push resources elsewhere.

It isn't amazing, but I don't think it is Red. 
Mist Weapon is an at-will that targets Reflex. While it is a bit on the limited side, that should make it better than Red. Targeting Insubstantial is likely also party-based - if you know the Defender will take Mist Weapon, it gives the party the ability to push resources elsewhere.

Conductive Defense exists and renders it obsolete. That's the reason for the red rating, really. Here you have a reflex attack that has a good keyword and, like...does something. Why ever take Mist Weapon when you could take Conductive Defense instead?
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).

Conductive Defense exists and renders it obsolete. That's the reason for the red rating, really. Here you have a reflex attack that has a good keyword and, like...does something. Why ever take Mist Weapon when you could take Conductive Defense instead?

That's the at-will part. And not having a keyword is sometimes a good thing, too. You run into a creature with Lightning resist or variable resist...

Being able to knock out the ability of a creature to be insubstantial for an entire round sets up nova sequences against those creatures. Conductive Defense tends to limit targets to single attacks or to targeting you after you use it. Which is likely generally more useful, but is by no means strictly superior.

I'm not arguing that Mist Weapon should be rated Sky Blue. It just isn't Red. 
Given the definition of Purple in this guide ("A bad option unless specific circumstances are met (in which case it might be fantastic)"), I can see purple for Mist Weapon (the specific circumstances in this case being "against insubstantial creatures or creatures with resist lightning").  I can't see it going any higher than that, but I don't think MwaO is arguing for any higher than that.
loose [loos] vt. to let loose; to release; to unfasten, undo or untie; to shoot or discharge. lose [looz] vt. to come to be without (something in one's possession or care), through accident, theft, etc., so that there is little or no prospect of recovery; to fail inadvertently to retain (something) in such a way that it cannot be immediately recovered; to suffer the deprivation of. LEARN THE DAMN DIFFERENCE. The pen is mightier than the character builder. Copy this to your sig if you like 4e but don't use the CB. "OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E." -RedSiegfried
My view (and hence the point of the rating) is that insubstantial is simply not common enough of a problem to justify the opportunity cost of losing one of your at-wills to cover it. To put it in perspective, there are roughly four times the monsters that can fly than are insubstantial, so Lodestone Lure covers a much more likely contingency.  There are less than 30 monsters of levels 1-9 with lightning resistance, so taking Mist Weapon to cover "Conductive Defense is resisted" is even poorer odds.

In the vein of owaru's suggestion, I did consider giving Mist Weapon a purple rating with the useful circumstances of "your DM throws lots of insubstantial creatures at you," but I just couldn't convince myself that you could be in a campaign where a) insubstantial comes up often enough that you would be using Mist Weapon so often you wouldn't feel silly for not taking the always-useful Lodestone Lure or Shade Strike, and b) you won't end up wishing you were playing a paladin or cavalier instead.
Given the definition of Purple in this guide ("A bad option unless specific circumstances are met (in which case it might be fantastic)"), I can see purple for Mist Weapon (the specific circumstances in this case being "against insubstantial creatures or creatures with resist lightning").  I can't see it going any higher than that, but I don't think MwaO is arguing for any higher than that.

I'm more of a Black opinion though I could see Purple. It doesn't just set up the player in the specific circumstances, it sets up the party. And that specific circumstance is common enough(about 6% of monsters) - fight 4 different monsters per combat, you ought to fight one once per 4 combats or so.
I'm more of a Black opinion though I could see Purple. It doesn't just set up the player in the specific circumstances, it sets up the party. And that specific circumstance is common enough(about 6% of monsters) - fight 4 different monsters per combat, you ought to fight one once per 4 combats or so.

I'm not really convinced that's an appropriate analysis, but using it, you'll end up fighting an average of one flying monster per encounter, which means you'd much, much rather have Lodestone Lure, your only tool for dealing with them -- and which also helps set up all the melee characters in your party.

It's that opportunity cost that really punishes Mist Weapon in my view.  Like I said, it's only really a practical option if the occurence of insubstantial is much, much higher than 6% of monsters, and the optimal approach at that point is to play a paladin or cavalier instead.  ;)  Still, the point about setting up nova rounds is a good one, and so I've changed the rating to purple.

I'm not really convinced that's an appropriate analysis, but using it, you'll end up fighting an average of one flying monster per encounter, which means you'd much, much rather have Lodestone Lure, your only tool for dealing with them -- and which also helps set up all the melee characters in your party.

I'd rather have Lodestone Lure for the adjacent movement issues. That it has some capability of dealing with flying monsters is marginally useful, but not especially so.

Most parties(and most individuals in most parties) have some capability of attacking at range vs. flying monsters. If you can't attack the flying monster, someone else likely can - and while they're doing that, you can keep the ground-based enemies off of them. If the DM is constructing an encounter of all flying creatures who want to stay within 5-6 squares, but not go up to 10 squares, then that's a different story.
Finally gave my 13th level slide/prone LFR Battlemind a good workout to test the elements of the build, and it did pretty well.  Since Polearm Momentum builds aren't really covered much in the guide, I thought I'd post the build here to see if anyone has advice on where to go from here.  The two areas I'm worried about are the ability to get into range and losing immediate actions due to status effects like Daze.  I'm strongly considering Superior Will at 14th to fix the latter, though currently my only fix for the former involves the use of Daily powers.

By the way, Iron Defense is amazing if you can get foes to attack you.  The stickiness gained from Harrying Step and the Dizzying Strike OA makes that pretty easy.

Show
Dunbar, level 13
Dwarf, Battlemind, Iron Guardian
Psionic Study: Persistent Harrier
Background: Cloistered Priest (Cloistered Priest Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 21, Dex 15, Int 9, Wis 18, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 28 Fort: 23 Reflex: 20 Will: 24
HP: 108 Surges: 16 Surge Value: 32

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +11, Endurance +18, Religion +13, Athletics +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Arcana +5, Bluff +6, Dungeoneering +12, Heal +10, History +5, Insight +10, Intimidate +6, Nature +10, Perception +10, Stealth +8, Streetwise +6, Thievery +8

FEATS
Level 1: Melee Training (Constitution) (retrained to Polearm Gamble at Level 12)
Level 2: Heavy Blade Expertise
Level 4: Wrathful Warrior
Level 6: Blade Opportunist
Level 8: Toughness (retrained to Harrying Step at Level 13)
Level 10: Enduring Mountain (retrained to Heavy Blade Opportunity at Level 11)
Level 11: Polearm Momentum
Level 12: Dwarven Durability

POWERS
Battlemind at-will 1: Iron Fist
Battlemind at-will 1: Bull's Strength
Battlemind daily 1: Accelerating Strike
Battlemind utility 2: Grit and Spittle
Battlemind at-will 3: Mist Weapon
Battlemind daily 5: Inconstant Location
Battlemind utility 6: Deliverance of Faith
Battlemind at-will 7: Lightning Rush (replaces Mist Weapon)
Battlemind daily 9: Aspect of Disembodiment
Battlemind utility 10: Battle Aspect
Battlemind at-will 13: Dizzying Strike (replaces Bull's Strength)

ITEMS
Magic Wyvernscale Armor +3, Amulet of Life +2, Rushing Cleats (heroic tier), Belt of Blood (heroic tier), Parry Gauntlets (heroic tier), Adventurer's Kit, Staggering Glaive +3, Helm of Opportunity (heroic tier), Alliance Band (paragon tier)

Hey there, just noticed you had a little typo under Stickyness Feats. Melee Training (Constitution) is in PHB 2, not 3! Got a little lost looking for it in PHB 3. :P
Due to an unfortunate incident involving domnation, spectral tentacles and falling rocks last week we had three deaths in the party - I took the opportunity to take a battlemind as replacement and had my first run with him last night.  We only had the one fight, against two monsters, so it will be interesting to see how it goes against multiple opponents.

He is a level 12 Gnoll Harrier Battlemind/Talaric Ironjack.  Thre rest of the part now are a Warforged Striker, Dragonborn Sorcerer, Drow Rogue and Changeling Tactical Lazylord.  It seems a good mix.

Dagnyr, my gnoll, wears Bloodiron plate and uses a heavy shield and Githyanki Silver Longsword.  Feats of note are Psychic Lock, Heavy Blade Expertise and Heavy Blade Opportunist, and the two main at-wills are Lighting Rush and Lodestone Lure.

He uses Lodestone Lure mostly for his standard action - unagumented to gain the bonus defences from the PP.  At level 13 I'm considering picking up Psionic Speed for multi attacks and marking.  Lodestone Lure is also the at-will used for opportunity attacks.

Power Points are reserved for Lightning Rush.

Thanks to boosts to defences between the PP, Expertise and Bloodiron, moving away from a target for Lighting Rush purposes means few OAs will hit.  If the Lighting Rush hits and he diverts the attack, the target is now pyschic locked and I get an AC boost from Bloodiron armour and most likely the PP defence boost is also running.  It means that few attacks I've diverted will hit me.  And they were using a ranged attack, will just hit them with Loadstone Lure to magnetise them and reapply Pyschic Lock.

I'm planning at level 13 on replacing Conductive Defence with Psionic Speed for some multi-marking options.

The question I have is how does it interact with HBO?  If an enemy triggers an OA and I use Psionic Speed as my at-will for the attack, does that mean I get to hit up to two other enemies as well?
If an enemy triggers an OA and I use Psionic Speed as my at-will for the attack, does that mean I get to hit up to two other enemies as well?

The RAW of the feat means that yes you can. It does seem to be against the intention of the feat however and many DM's may enforce that you can attack the triggering enemy only.

This is one of the feats that I'm hoping WotC will update as to not cause so much tension at a table.
Edit: I made my choice, WIS.

If I could get some help on this build, it would be awesome. I posted this in Mellored's Revanant Handbook, but looking for some help from a Battlemind perspective. I wanted him to be damage heavy but still a solid defender, and unkillable.

level 30 
Revenant, Battlemind, Son of Mercy, Raven Consort 
Psionic Study: Persistent Harrier 
Choose your Race in Life: Shadar-kai 
Background: Wandering Mercenary (Wandering Mercenary Benefit) 

FINAL ABILITY SCORES 
Str 14, Con 28, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 24, Cha 12. 
STARTING ABILITY SCORES 
Str 12, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 10. 

AC: 47 Fort: 45 Reflex: 43 Will: 46 
HP: 226 Surges: 18 Surge Value: 56 

TRAINED SKILLS 
Endurance +29, Athletics +20, Insight +27, Perception +27 
UNTRAINED SKILLS 
Acrobatics +16, Arcana +15, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +22, Heal +22, History +15, Intimidate +18, Nature +22, Religion +15, Stealth +16, Streetwise +16, Thievery +16 

FEATS 
Level 1: Melee Training (Charisma) 
Level 2: Bludgeon Expertise 
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Hammer) 
Level 6: Harrying Step 
Level 8: Disciple of Death 
Level 10: Wintertouched 
Level 11: Lasting Frost 
Level 12: Defender of the Wild 
Level 14: Crippling Crush 
Level 16: Superior Will 
Level 18: Restless Dead 
Level 20: Sudden Roots 
Level 21: Ghostly Vitality 
Level 22: Improved Defenses 
Level 24: Stormhawk's Vengeance 
Level 26: Epic Reflexes 
Level 28: Deathless Warrior 
Level 30: Armor Specialization (Scale) 

POWERS 
Battlemind at-will 1: Conductive Defense 
Battlemind at-will 1: Twisted Eye 
Battlemind daily 1: Living Fortress 
Battlemind utility 2: Endure Pain 
Battlemind at-will 3: Lodestone Lure 
Battlemind daily 5: Nightmare Vortex 
Battlemind utility 6: Psionic Ambush 
Battlemind at-will 7: Lightning Rush (replaces Conductive Defense) 
Battlemind daily 9: Shattered Time 
Battlemind utility 10: Iron Warding 
Battlemind at-will 13: Brutal Barrage (replaces Twisted Eye) 
Battlemind daily 15: Mind Blade (replaces Shattered Time) 
Battlemind utility 16: Savage Intent 
Battlemind at-will 17: Intellect Snap (replaces Lodestone Lure) 
Battlemind daily 19: Mind Wrack (replaces Living Fortress) 
Battlemind utility 22: Psychic Feast 
Battlemind at-will 23: Might of the Ogre (replaces Intellect Snap) 
Battlemind daily 25: Stolen Vigor (replaces Nightmare Vortex) 
Battlemind at-will 27: Brilliant Recovery (replaces Might of the Ogre) 
Battlemind daily 29: Omniscient Strike (replaces Mind Blade) 
ITEMS 
Verve Elderscale Armor +6, Shield of Deflection Heavy Shield (epic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Frost Warhammer +6, Periapt of Recovery +6, Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier), Gloves of Ice (epic tier), Eye of Awareness (epic tier), Shadow Band (epic tier), Ring of Giants (paragon tier), Diamond Cincture (paragon tier), Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (epic tier), Dice of Auspicious Fortune (paragon tier), Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Solitaire (Aquamarine) (paragon tier) 
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

AC seems a little low, but there are a many conditional modifiers that make it a lot better.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!