[WoA] Legion Devils

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I understand that you place three figures and you have to kill each one to remove the card from play.  But do each of them also get an individual attack?
Yes, they each get individual attacks, one after the other. Brutal!

Thanks for the reply,  I ended up figuring it out reading the back cover of the rules.  We got Ashardalon on a random chamber card draw that game and beat him with a healing surge to spare.  Getting ready to do adventure 5 again (got slaughtered by traps the first time) and decided to throw in a random chamber card instead of what it calls for. Should be fun.
I had some problems figuring out how to play the legion devils as well. I think the bottom line is that a monster card activates all monsters of that type on the board. So the legion devils all take action when you execute the instructions on the legion devil monster card. Each devil therefore gets an individual attack.
I had some problems figuring out how to play the legion devils as well. I think the bottom line is that a monster card activates all monsters of that type on the board. So the legion devils all take action when you execute the instructions on the legion devil monster card. Each devil therefore gets an individual attack.

Going by the card they don't even have to be on the board.  When you pull that card you place all three.  If two are dead and someone pulls that card again the original three get refreshed is how I understand it.  If someone else refreshes them who now controls them, that part isn't clear.
If Person A draws the legion devils, then the party kills one or two of them, then Person B draws another legion devil card, the one or two previously killed devils are then placed by Person B. Whenever Person A and B enter their villain phase, they move ALL the devils. Both devil cards remain in play until all the devils are killed.

Fun! err, I mean... Run!
If Person A draws the legion devils, then the party kills one or two of them, then Person B draws another legion devil card, the one or two previously killed devils are then placed by Person B. Whenever Person A and B enter their villain phase, they move ALL the devils. Both devil cards remain in play until all the devils are killed.

Fun! err, I mean... Run!

Thanks for the clarification, that makes perfect sense.
3 attacks per round with +11 are incredible!
I lost 5 hp in two shifts, how do you finish a game like this!
I play 3 legion but considering 1 attack and in this way are bloody!
They're damn nasty!

In my last 2-player game, this happened:

- I explore: BANG! Long Hallway
  Pick monster: Legion Devil...nice!
  Place second tile for Long Hallway
  Pick 2nd monster: Duergar Sentry...nice!
  Duergar Sentry explores
  Place another tile
  Pick Monster: Kobold Sentry...nice!
  Place another tile
  Pick random monster...ok break!

So in my round I placed 4 tiles and 4 monsters (well 6 considering the Legion Devils...) and i'm not even mentionning the Encounter...

So yeah, we managed to get rid of most of them but that was a nasty round!

Love this game!

I know this is an old post but I was hoping someone could reclarify. It doesn't make sence to me that the legion devil attacks three times. No where does it state that it should. On the card itself there is only one +11 attack not 3 (for example the Rogue's tornado stike shows 4 seperate attacks) wouldn't the legion devil need the same for that to apply?

The way I read it is that they all move together as one monster, it gets one very powerful attack and the monster itself is difficult to kill due to high AC and there being three of them (kinda like having 3 hp). My reasoning is that on the card it says ..

"If the legion devil is within 1 tile of a hero..." and not "If a legion devil is within 1 tile of a hero..." hence all legion devils act as one for the purpose of attacks and moves and not each individually. If the devils attack three times then do they also move three seperate ways if the situation calls for it? Hypothetically, if 2 legion devils were equal distace to 2 heros (say on 2 diffrent tiles), if one devil moves closer to a hero thus causing the second hero to then be closer to the second devil does the second devil go the other way towards the hero which is now closer thus spliting them appart significantly? That doesn't seem right but I mean I could be wrong.

Am I totally off base here? Can someone post a reasoning for the whole '3 seperate attack' argument?

Thanks!
Am I totally off base here? Can someone post a reasoning for the whole '3 seperate attack' argument?

This is the same mechanic as when there are multiples of any other creature on the board.

For example, say that you and I both drew Orc Smashers cards and both of the monsters were on the board. Each time one of us activated our monsters, we would activate both Orc Smashers independantly, one at a time.

The same applies for the Legion Devils. Each of the 3 legion devils move and attack independantly when a Legion Devil card is in play.

Hope this helps! 

The same applies for the Legion Devils. Each of the 3 legion devils move and attack independantly when a Legion Devil card is in play.

Hope this helps! 

Page 4 of the adventure book says "The Legion Devil is a special monster that calls forth multiple Legion Devil figures when it is drawn."
Page 9 of the rulebook says "For each enemy a Hero's power or a Monster's attack targets, roll the die..."

Page 4 says it doesn't draw multiple Legion Devils but multiple figures of the same legion devil. Page 9 says u should roll per Monster but the Legion Devil is only ever a single monster because no where ever does it says your spawning multiple monsters but rather multiple figures of the same monster. I just dont see how you are right because you're saying what people should do but you provide absolutly nothing to backup why. I mean ur explaining it but none of what you are saying has any basis in the rules or the adventure book.

Based on the rules it seems that this is one card that activates the three figures once. Based on the card it attacks once at a very high attack probability and becuase there are 3 figures its really hard to kill.

Can anyone else provide input?
I think you are getting hung up on the awkward phrasing on page four.

You can play however you like - if the rules seem unclear to you, or you aren't satisfied with the mechanic because it seems to difficult or unfair, feel free to make your own rules. This board game system encourages it! But if you want to play the legion devils as intended, then it's been explained already. The legion devils are bastards. And as always, multiple identical monsters on the board are controlled as three separate monsters, one at a time, whenever that monster card activates.

If you are still unsatisfied and you don't get any more responses here, I suggest searching the numerous posts on the topic at boardgamegeek.com.

Have fun... And I highly recommend the Legend of Drizzt boardgame. I picked it up recently, and it compliments the Ashardalon gamepieces nicely.
You know no matter how well you articulate an insult its still an insult and its still petty. Not sure why you feel its necessary, perhaps because I backed up my comments with quotes and ur still regurgitating the same opinion you pulled out of thin air maybe it makes you feel inferior. Other than that thanks for the recommendation.
He wasn't insulting you at all. I actually thought he was being polite and helpful.
I think the key here is to remember that the Monster is not his card.  Vise-versa, the card is not the monster.  The rules state that in the event two of the same monsters are present on the board, and one takes damage due to my attack, the card does not get a hit token, the monster figure does.  Assuming that I do not control that particular monsters card, and in the event that the monster is killed by my attack, 2 things happen:

1 - Monster figure is removed
2 - The next closest card of the deceased monster is added to the xp pile.

So lets say there are 3 players.  Player A and B (clockwise order) each control a snake monster card.  There are two snake figures on the board.  Player C (thats me) starts his hero phase and kills the snake figure that player B brought onto the board.  The figure is removed and player A's monster card is placed in the XP pile.  This occurs because the monster figure is not the card.

How does this apply to legion demons?  There should never be more figures on the board than monster cards revealed.  The demons are an exception.  Since legion demons are many, yet one, it would make sense that when one attacks, they all attack.  Remember, that one legion demon is many (and in this case, many are represented by more than one figure).

Dont take this post as gold.  I am not currently sitting with my rule book, however, take a look at the FAQ on the backside of the rule book.  There is better clarificaiton there I believe.

One of the principle rules I apply to the game in general is this,
 - if a rule is unclear, try to take it as literally as possible
 - if there is no otherwise clear clarification, do the worst case.

The game doesnt want you to win, and this isnt supposed to be a cakewalk.  Happy gaming!