Best cards for legacy RDW?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I don't have much experience playing red, and I mostly play casually but I'm looking to break out of it. Anyway, I really like specific cards like Lightning Bolt, Cursed Scroll, and Grim Lavamancer, but I'm unsure of what the fastest burn deck would actually contain.

I was hoping to get some input from MTG players on the forum to help me build a RDW deck!
You've got some of them right already. I'd play four of each of these first; Goblin Guide, Grim Lavamancer, Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, Lava Spike, Rift Bolt, Fireblast, Flame Rift, and Price of Progress. That's 36 cards and then you figure out how much mana you'll need and then you should have some flex spots left over. I know you'll want a lot of fetches to fuel Lavamancer. 
Check out Burn decks on mtgdecks.net/formats/view/Legacy , they all tend to play 4 Goblin Guide, 4 Grim Lavamancer, and as many Lightning Bolts as possible. The exact composition of the deck will vary, but they're all pretty much the same.

Options for your sideboard

Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast
Relic of Progenitus - because Dredge is popular right now, also hits Junk, Zoo, and Team America
Shattering Spree - because Affinity is popular
Meltdown - likewise
Smash to Smithereens
Pithing Needle - one of the few cards available to Burn that can interact with Combo
Vexing Shusher - Counterbalance hate
In Legacy, Blue is the best color. Let's punish blue, in Modern. And they listened!
A good place to start (in addition to what the others have said) is to follow the advice from this article:
www.starcitygames.com/magic/legacy/21493...

“In San Jose, a friend of mine—Bel—had never played Legacy before,” Adam said. “He's a red deck guy, so I told him, 'Dude, if you get four Fire and Lightning decks, you're there.'” Bel hunted down the decks, put them together, and lost playing for Top 8 en route to a Top 32 finish in the Legacy Open."

Obviously you'd trim the fat out of the deck and make it consistant as possible.