Generic Vehicles

56 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'd like to make a Generic Automobiles list much like I constructed a Generic Firearms list. I have two sources that I think I can generate this list from: the MSRD Vehicles list (for now, just cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other), and this fan-made, build-it-yourself system. I don't like the MSRD list because it has brand names, which means that they're all out of date now, and I don't like the fan-made site because it's a pain in the ass to make your own vehicle and, as Penchant has pointed out, the costs are completely wonky. Ideally, I'd love to just take the stats in the MSRD vehicle and give them generic names, as they have in the lists (sports coupe, luxury sedan, etc.), but then I end up with five sports coupes and no clear way to differentiate them other than speed. Someone want to help me out with this? Even just a way to go at the problem would be great. I'm feeling a bit paralysed right now. Even better, anyone know of a source that already generated a generic vehicles list? Let me know.
Te d20 Modern Database Forums:. Where Designers Play. The Phoenix Project RPG. The best superhero expansion for d20M. Copyright Orion Ussner Kidder 2010 DnD SRDs and d20 Modern SRDs
Well.. let's see... 
What classes of vehicles do we have..
Cars will be compact, sedan, coupe, wagon. Basic states for each will pretty much only differ by speed and cargo capacity, and size will only really matter between compact and wagon. Then farther divide by luxury sedan, luxury coupe and luxury wagan and even luxury compact. then economic versions and sport versions. So luxury would be slightly lower cargo capacities, higher price, more gadgets and the like, and maybe more hit points. Sport versions will have lower cargo, higher speed of course, maybe reduced passenger space, better bonuses for maneuverability (especially coupes and compacts) and init and lower hit points (lighter materials or the like). Economic versions would be cheaper, remove features.. maybe lower speed of base models, lower hit points, other little things to make them cheap.
Then you can create hatchback versions of everything but wagon as most wagons are hatchback anyway.. these ones will have greater cargo capacity than base model, maybe lower speed or just maneuver/init penalties due to aerodynamic differences and added mass of the car due to the extending of the roof to the back, and a few more hit points.

The problem is by how much do you change things between economic, luxury, sport and hatchback for the various versions.. the example I'm making is purely pulling numbers out of my rear just as an example. Could make it like a percentage or such.. scaling everything so it's "balanced".
economic reduces various stats by -10% while sport increases some stuff by +15% or some such... could make all stats alter by various percentages from the standard 100% of the "standard" model. So econo could have -5% speed -10% init/maneuver but gain a +15% cargo. While sport version has -5% hit points and -20% cargo and has +3% init/maneuver and +18% speed. Again, pure out of the blue numbers for an example. Of course for really high end models can go past basic 100% of base model for scaling and hit higher percentages (120% or whatever) at far greater increase in price. *Shrugs*

So.. let's take the  Ford Crown Victoria as a "base sedan."
Victoria sedan
Crew: 1
Passengers: 5
Cargo Capacity: 425 lbs
Initiative: -2
Maneuver: -1
Top Speed: 185 (18)
Defense: 8
Hardness: 5
Hit Points: 34
Size: H
Purchase DC: 28
Restriction: Lic (+1)

Ok.. now let's make an economic version shall we? 
Broze Victoria sedan
Crew: 1
Passengers: 4
Cargo Capacity: 430 lbs
Initiative: -2
Maneuver: -2
Top Speed: 160 (17)
Defense: 8
Hardness: 4
Hit Points: 30
Size: H
Purchase DC: 26
Restriction: Lic (+1)

I don't know if any of this will help you or not, but basic ideas. Can do similar things with Trucks. So you got pickup, SUV, vans. But with these you can add passenger capacity at reduced cargo then go sport and luxury versions.. *shrugs*  
Yes, this is exactly the kind of thinking I need to get me started. I was getting stuck at the level of "how many base models do I want?" and "what the heck do I call them?" 

I also thought that, instead of making several different versions of everything, I could have a list of "Mods and Features" that alter single stats:

Speed +4 = PDC +1
Man -1 = PDC -1
etc.

That way, you can buy the generic vehicle, and then slap together the special features that you want/can afford.  
Te d20 Modern Database Forums:. Where Designers Play. The Phoenix Project RPG. The best superhero expansion for d20M. Copyright Orion Ussner Kidder 2010 DnD SRDs and d20 Modern SRDs
That'd work. So could templates.. similar to the ones for ships.. Sport template, luxury, economic, cargo, passenger (for vans and other large vehicles).. although might need two sets of templates as a sport template on a car should offer greater speed and maneuver than a sport version on a pick up.
Yeah, exactly. The "sport" version of a car is "goes faster; less passenger/cargo space." It's not an inherently different beast. I'd probably build the sport versions, though, for the sake of convenience, but it's all really just variations on the concept of "car." 

Well keep us posted on how the project goes. 
Will you also be doing something similar for military and other non standard civilian vehicles? Like buses, apcs and the like? Also for buses I can really see 3 variants.. standard public/school bus, luxury (like Greyhound and GO buses in Canada, sorry I don't know American versions), and cargo ones.. which would have probably half the passenger capacity and far larger cargo for transporting hockey teams or something? 
I'm writing this up for Phoenix, so it'll be for normal vehicles, not military hardware. I don't have the knowledge or the time, and it's not my focus. But I do plan to include bigger, urban vehicles: trucks, busses, adn the like. There was a generic, modular vehicle project posted by someone over on D20 Unlimited, but it got lost in the transition to d20MDB. I'd love to get my hands on those posts, now. 
Ah, well for military stuff we can always take generic vehicles and upgrade like mad or create a template from there. For the Policer APC I made in Chuck's Wondrous Emporium of Wonders and Oddities I looked at two different APCs I found in my d20 books and found a balance between the two for basic stats. 
I am working on expanding on Nix4's Military Vehicles version which is found on the same site... which I may work on for a little while before sleeping

As to prices, just take said real life vehicles price and compare it to the PDC in the book
I don't mind much if the PDC and the real-world prices don't match. You're paying for all kinds of things other than quality in the real world. I'd rather the prices in-game were simple and rational in and of themselves. I don't want to fetishise the shopping/consuming part of the game, you know? It just takes up so much bloody time. I'd rather just point to the object you want, do the Wealth calc, and then get back to the game, the fun part. But that's just  my philosophy. I'll probably start with the book prices and then smooth them out, make the more regular. 
Here's what I have so far: basic models and basic stats. I'm a little shocked at the speeds listed for Sedans and Wagons in the CRB, so I reduced them. They seemed ridiculous. A Station Wagon can't go 230mph, surely. 

CrewPassCargoSizeDoorsInitManSpeedDefHardHPsPDCRes

Compact14275 lb.L2–1–1120 (12)953026Lic (+1)
Sedan13425 lb.H4–2–1180 (18)853428Lic (+1)
Coupe11250 lb.H2–2+0300 (30)853230Lic (+1)
Wagon15275 lb.H5–2+0160 (16)853228Lic (+1)

To this, I want to add a series of modifications (below). I'll use some of those modification numbers to create variants on the basic models. A smaller, slower Compact will become a Subcombact. A bigger, more manoeuvrable Sedan will be a Luxury Sedan. Of course, I'll have faster and faster Coupes as well. 

Mods
CrewPassCargoSizeDoorsInitManSpeedDefHardHPsPDC
Manoeuvrability +

+1

+1

Manoeuvrability -

Initiative +

+1

+1

Initiative -

Speed +

+4 (+40)

+1

Speed ++

+6 (+60)

+2

Speed +++

+8 (+80)

+4

Speed -

-4 (-40)

Cargo +

+75 lb.

+1

Cargo -

-75 lb.

Passenger +

+1

+1

Passenger -

Hatchback

+100 lb.
+1

+1

Features

Initiative Boost

+4

+?

Armour Plating

+4

+2

Hardened Body

+5
+2

Bullet-Proof Glass

+10*

Snow Tires

+2*

+1
*snow/ice conditions only
Off-Road Tires

+2*

+1
*off-road conditions only

What do you think of the basic numbers? Do the vehicle stats look right? Do the modifications look right (bonus vs. price difference)? Let me know!  
Looks good for say the PL of Similary current real life technology, Information Age in RAW I think, so I've copied it to add to the word docs folder containing the expansion of Nix4's work that I am working on...
I'm going for "contemporary." Not interested in military or future. Just tooling around in a modern city. 
Okay, tell me if this looks right: 

Trucks, Vans, Busses

Pass

Cargo

Size

Doors

Man

Speed

Def.

Hard

HPs

PDC

Res.

Minivan

H

4*

Lic. +1

Pickup Truck

H

Lic. +1

Moving Truck

H

Lic. +1

SUV

H

Lic. +1

City Bus

-

C

2*

Res. +2

Small Bus

-

G

2*

Lic. +1

Armoured Truck

H

Res. +2

Those look good also but I don't see stats for the large van that churches and sometimes movers/independent contractors use...  has two doors, one side door either sliding or double, and a door in the back and can have seats throughout the van or just the driver and passenger seat in front

As for military that fails into my field with a few friends I have that I can bounce things out with and as for future eventually thos high speeds come into play with things like air cars and hover cars... think what the Autobhan in Germany would be like at PL 8-9

An Officer pulls you over because you weren't going the minimum 1,250 Kph as stated in the signs...
@ AnimeSniper : Those are usually larger cargo vans like Chevy Express (older models were C20 or C30) and the like that were altered to passenger versions. So we should have "van" which is bigger than minivan and usually either cargo or passenger. Although I've seen some that were part cargo part passenger. Meaning instead of bench seats all the way back (about 3 or 4 depending on extended body or not) with a little bit of space at the back doors, and have only 2 or 3 bench seats (depending on extended body or not).
Good thought! I'll add "Van" as a step up from "Minivan." It'll go like this: minivan, van, small bus, city bus. Then, next to that, I'll have the trucks: pickup, moving truck, 4x4 (or something, I'll come up with better names). I like that. That gives me two, distinct progressions in size. 
I also remember seeing some of those Chevy Express minus the normal side windows and sometimes the back windows... 

@ RealOrion: That type of van would fit the roll of Stake-Out for when the villians minions or the hereos want to observe the other in your Phoenix system...

Edit: If I come up with any more vehicles to add do want me to respond here, the modern DB postings, or both...   I can only think of right now is extended cab trucks both the half-cab and full cab extensions

Edit II:  Also, you may want to take into account of standard {Manual Gear Box} and Automatic {Automatic Gear Box} for vehicle options... of cours this may limit passenger capacity like in trucks and moving trucks...
@ theRealOrion : What do you consider a "Moving Truck" ?? Cube van (van front but with large cube box behind that), flat bed/boxed (front is like a mac truck but has flat cargo area maybe with rail siding or else a box). This style also comes in 2, 5 or 10 ton if I'm not mistaken. 

flat/boxed truck in the 2 to 5 ton range looks like this

While this is in the 10 ton

Those are the stats for the CRB's "moving truck," which I would have pictured as your first one, above, a commercial moving truck, the kind of thing you might rent to move house with. A "10 Tonne" is a different vehicle, to my mind. I don't want to go too crazy/granular with the trucks--the whole point of a generic system is to make a relatively small number of basic types--but I think that "Moving Truck" would be different than "10 Tonne" (Canadian spelling). I'm going to fill out that table and repost in the next day or two. I'm cross-posting all of this at d20MDB as well. 
Okay, I have a crappe tonne of new stuff. Check it out: 

Table 2 Generic Vehicles

Cars

Pass

Cargo

Size

Doors

Man

Speed

Def.

Hard

HPs

PDC

Subcompact

100 lb.

L

Compact

275 lb.

L

Sedan

425 lb.

H

Sedan, Stretched

500 lb.

H

Coupe

250 lb.

H

Wagon

275 lb.

H

Trucks

Pickup Truck

H

Moving Truck (5 Tonne)

H

3*

Shipping Truck (10 Tonne)

H

3*

SUV

H

Armoured Truck

H

3*

Vans and Busses

Minivan

H

4*

Cube Van

H

3*

Small Bus

-

G

2*

City Bus

-

C

2*

Motorcycles

Street Bike

1*

20 lb.

L

-

Dirt Bike

1*

-

M

-

Speed Bike

1*

10 lb.

M

-

Those are the basic models. You can also apply one of three Templates:

Luxury cars are high on creature comforts and design, and that's largely what you're paying for, but you also get better handling and higher speeds, and because they're built just a little more robustly, they have more HPs. Luxury cars are just that much less likely to stop functioning when they're damage.

Luxury Modifiers

• PDC +6

• Manoeuvrability +2

• Speed +4

• HPs +25% (rounded down)

Economy cars are, in essence, the opposite of luxury cars. They're less comfortable, less pleasing to look at and drive. They're also not as responsive and fast, and they're that much more likely to break down.

Economy Modifiers

• PDC -8

• Manoeuvrability -2

• Speed -4

• HPs -25% (rounded down)

High-Performance vehicles are built for speed and handling and the cost of being just a little more delicate and not having anywhere near the storage space as a standard vehicle. It's possible to have any vehicle as a High-Performance model, but it's most common with Coupes. High-Performance Coupes are often just called "sports cars."

High-Performance Modifiers

• PDC +4

• Cargo -50%

• Manoeuvrability +4

• Speed +8

• HPs -30%

Finally, I have a pile of piecemeal mods:

Table 2 Mods

Mod

Bonus/Penalty

Retail

DIY

Repair DC

Notes

Big Trunk

Cargo +25%

PDC 1

PDC 1

DC 16

Bigger Trunk

Cargo +50%

PDC 2

PDC 1

DC 17

Hatchback

Doors +1

PDC 3

PDC 2

DC 18

door is at the back; cargo space +25%

Dual Side Doors

Doors +1

PDC 4

PDC 3

DC 19

sliding door is on the driver's side

Good Handling

Man +1

PDC 1

PDC 1

DC 16

Better Handling

Man +2

PDC 2

PDC 1

DC 17

Best Handling

Man +4

PDC 4

PDC 2

DC 19

Fast Engine

Speed +4

PDC 1

PDC 1

DC 16

Faster Engine

Speed +6

PDC 2

PDC 1

DC 17

Fastest Engine

Speed +8

PDC 4

PDC 2

DC 19

Body Armour

Hardness +5

PDC 2

PDC 1

DC 17

Robust Components

HPs +3

PDC 2

PDC 1

DC 17

Snow Tires

Man +2 / -2

PDC 1

PDC 1

DC 16

bonus in snow/ice, penalty otherwise

Off-Road Tires

Man +2 / -2

PDC 1

PDC 1

DC 16

bonus when off-road, penalty otherwise

And I just realised that I didn't include Extended Cab anywhere. Either I add it to the Vehicle list, or I make it a Template, I guess...?  
You can make extended cab as a template to pickups and the large vans/trucks as well, while reducing their cargo capacity.. unless they also get the extended bed/box options as well. 
Right, special Truck/Van templates. Good. I'll have to write in which templates you can combine and which you can't. The three basic ones--luxury, economy, high-performance--are incompatible with each other, but there are "speciality" templates that you can combine. I might have a few for motorcycles, too. 

I feel like I'm getting lost in language, a little. What would be a more common term for "templates"? Models? Styles? How would a car salesperson describe that kind of thing. And for "mods." Is there a word for that in car culture already?  
Using terms like Deluxe, family, sport, utility, R(oad)/T(rack) for sport models, adding letters like S, X or SX and the like to denote higher levels of cars. And "Features" for the mods. 

Oh.. for things like adding extra doors, like the hatch back and dual side doors should increase the weight of the vehicle somewhat as you have to add in hinges, altering the impact bars, catches, pneumatic pistons for hatchbacks and depending on the design of vehicle adding the side door to the sliding tracks, rollers and support system for all these.  And also for the extended cab of course.

Sure.. the added weight might seem like a trivial thing, but some DMs might want to know how heavy a car is for crossing weak bridges or the like. 
Sure, those terms all fit. If I were to buy, say, the really good stereo and the leather seats and all of that from a dealer, what would they call those kinds of things? "Features"? 
Pretty much, yup. Or "options"

Take the 2011 Civic. Comes in sedan and coupe versions, with the coupe being a little cheaper. There is two models of each. The standard and the Si. The standard has 3 versions for different option packages. Options are usually minor things that don't do much, like spoilers, mud flaps, interior or electronic features. The Si version is the sport version with bigger engine and other sporty features, has the higher of the 3 options from the sedan version, and usually more sportier and luxury equipment. 
Okay, so "options" are largely aesthetic or creature comforts. Those don't particularly apply to my system. It sounds like what I have are "models." I think I'll keep the word "template" because it's a term in the game already and it's analogous to apply, say, a Vampire template. Thanks! That was very helpful. I'm going to post some new stuff tomorrow, I think. 
Glad to help. Having a generic set to work from for making my own stuff later is very helpful and speeds up creation time immensely.
Yeah, that's the plan. It's kind of like being half-way to open-source when it comes to vehicle stats. My aim is always to avoid the uncomfortable specificity of being able to buy only a small number of vehicle from American in 2001. They just weren't thinking ahead when they used brand names for their equipment. It's the same reason I made the Generic Firearms rules. 

Someone over on Modern d20 Unlimited had an entire modular vehicle system, but all the posts on that board were lost. It's enough to make you cry, man.

Hey, if/when you make generic military vehicle rules, any chance I could use them for Phoenix?  
Anything I've posted you can use in Phoenix, just give credit, that's all I ask.
Okay, I'm down to tweaks and descriptive text at this point. I've generated three tables: Generic Vehicles (which has new content), Templates and Options (new content), and Mods (no new content, not appended to this message, see last message. Here's how they look: 

Table 1 Generic Vehicles

Cars

Pass

Cargo

Size

Doors

Man

Speed

Def.

Hard

HPs

PDC

Subcompact

100 lb.

L

Compact

275 lb.

L

Sedan

425 lb.

H

Sedan, Stretched

500 lb.

H

Coupe

250 lb.

H

Wagon

275 lb.

H

Trucks

Pickup Truck

1700 lb.

H

SUV

1000 lb.

H

Moving Truck (5 Tonne)

33000 lb.

H

3*

Shipping Truck (10 Tonne)

66000 lb.

H

3*

Armoured Truck

3600 lb.

H

3*

Vans and Busses

Minivan

325 lb.

H

4*

Cube Van

1000 lb.

H

3*

Small Bus

-

C

2*

Touring Bus

n/a

750 lb.*

C

City Bus

-

C

2*

Motorcycles

Street Bike

1*

20 lb.

L

-

Dirt Bike

1*

-

M

-

+0

Speed Bike

1*

10 lb.

M

-

Here, I added Trucks and Vans/Busses, and I made those two separate categories. The categories don't mean much. I just like to have the data arranged in a readable fashion. 

Table 3 Templates and Options

Templates

Pass

Cargo

Size

Doors

Man

Speed

Def.

Hard

HPs

PDC

Luxury

-

-

-

-

+2

+4

-

-

+25%

+6

Economy

-

-

-

-

-

-

-25%

High-Performance

-

-50%

-

-

+4

+8

-

-

-30%

+4

Options

Electrical Engine

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

+4

Extended Cab (trucks only)

+2

+25%

+4

Extended Bed (trucks only)

-

+25%

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

+2

Extra Bench (minivans and wagons only)

+3

-90%

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

+0

Four-Door (subcompacts and compacts only)

-

-

-

+2

-

-

-

-

-

+2

Hatchback (subcompacts, compacts, and sedans only)

-

-

-

+1

-

-

-

-

-

+1

Removable Seats (minivans and wagons only)

+50%

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

+2

Here, I combined Templates and Options onto one table, and I separated the two so that I could say that you can take one Template only, but that you can stack Options on top of that to a limited degree. 

Okay, is there anything that you can see that's still missing, either vehicles or templates/options? Are these stats reasonable as written? I want to double check the speeds because the CRB's speeds seem ridiculous, but my educated guesses are pretty shaky, too. 
You have the extended cab adding +25% cargo.. normally extended cabs take up cargo area.. So that might be a typo.  Also -90% of the cargo for extra bench.. I'd go with -75% for more rounded numbers, so it matches the scaling of other stuff you have, which all seem multiples of 25.
Yes, that's a typo, and good suggestion on the numbers. Cool.  
I like the work that TheRealOrion, with a bit of input from me, has done here.. I hope he doesn't mind if I expand a bit on it here.

Since some of the numbers here have has been derived from the d20 modern vehicle construction rules found here, with alterations, some of what I'm putting is taking some of that work and altering it for some new stuff.

Adding armour to civilian vehicles.
Homemade & semi professional.
This is armour that someone with a welder or someone with access to a crew at a machine shop. Usually sheet metal, or other metal is welded to the inside, in panels, or even along the outside to improve its survival. The metal could be recycled or even high quality. As this is an after market alteration, it does hinder the vehicle's performance, and is never as good as a professional armourer.
For PL5, increase Hardness by 1, +1 Def, increase HP by 5 for every size category above medium, so large gains +5, huge +10, etc. The vehicle suffers -10% cargo capacity, -2 to maneuverability and drive checks,  -6 squares of speed. The vehicle's weight would increase by 25%. Would cost about a PDC of 15 for the metal and welding supplies.

Professional Armour
This is armour installed by professionals, usually starting with a frame and reinforcing it, plus putting in fitted armoured plating into panels and using armoured panels on doors and body shell. These types of vehicles are used by security forces, diplomatic vehicles, or special forces such as the FBI or Secret Service.
For PL5,  these armoured vehicles get a +50% increase to hardness (round up), gain +10 HP per size category above medium; so a large vehicle gains +10, huge +20, etc. The vehicle suffers a -2 to maneuverability and drive checks, but only -4 squares to speed. Vehicle weight is increased by 25%, increase the vehicle's PDC by +5 and change restriction to Restricted (+2)

For either of the armour options in higher PLs, increase any bonuses by 25% to 50%, depending on materials used, same with penalties.

Off Road Modification
The vehicle is modified for off-road travel, with larger tires, raised suspension, heavier duty springs and shocks, better bumpers and balancing of the vehicle's weight distribution.
Reduce speed by 10%, but gains a +5 bonus to avoid hazards from better handling, +1 maneuverability and general drive checks. Ignores half penalties for moving through rough terrain. Vehicle also suffers half the regular damage it would suffer from a ram attack option. Vehicle weight is increased by 10%. PDC 16
Those look fun! Thanks! 
I'll probably add in a hover conversion or something. I can't say I'm a fan of what d20 Future puts in what PL, like hover cars don't show up until PL7. 
In the equipment and a robot I've made, I have a hover type system available in PL6, but it's pricy, and hasn't appeared on anything much bigger than a person. So GMR systems so far is good for light stuff, but not vehicles.. at least that I've made. I'll probably make a vehicle that has it, but won't reach very high.
I have an idea for a military vehicle that can deploy treads for improved off-road capability. When it hits a road again, retract treads and motor down the road. Might make it available for civilian vehicles as well. 
Been awhile..

Generic PL Upgrades

Caster Wheels (Late PL5/Early PL6)
Instead of tires, the wheels are replaced with casters. This improves the vehicles speed slightly but greatly improves a vehicle's handling. However, casters aren't quite as good on rough terrain, so very few vehicles meant for combat, except urban combat units, have casters.
Vehicles with casters increase speed by 2 squares, increase maneuverability by +2. In rough terrain they lose these bonuses and suffer -2 squares of speed and -1 to maneuverability. PDC +1

Hover Conversion (Late PL6/Early PL7)
Instead of wheels, the vehicle floats on a cushion of air, uses anti-gravity technology, etc. The vehicle floats anywhere from 6 inches to 10 feet in the air to avoid hazards. 
Increase speed by 4 squares, maneuverability by +2 and initiative by +1. Can cross water that is no deeper than 50 feet without compromising performance.  PDC +2

Flying Vehicle (PL7 to PL8) "Roads.. where we're going, we don't need any roads."
The cars we all want, seen in Back To the Future. This is an upgrade to the hover vehicles, allowing the vehicle to achieve greater heights, allowing highways in the skies as well as on the ground, to allow greater traffic flows over longer distances. "Ground" speed is increased by 4 squares, similar to hover vehicles, has a "air" speed of 70 squares, with a flight ceiling of 5000 feet. Has a pressurized interior. Windows and doors seal except in emergencies at heights above 75 feet, except when parked and shut off. Gains +2 maneuver and +1 initiative. Usually comes with some kind of emergency back up system if main lift drive ever fails (such as back up lift coils or parachute). PDC +2

Walker Conversion (Min PL6)
Instead of wheels, casters, tires or even a hover system, this vehicle has articulated legs, making the vehicle more like a four legged mech, in some people's minds. Decrease speed by 5 squares, but increase maneuverability by +1, and suffers half rough terrain penalties. Walk in snow, sand, water, mountains and mud, all terrain is passable. Able to climb over debris, even stairs. Anywhere an animal can walk, the vehicle can too. Legs usually give the vehicle a 5 foot clearance (lowers when parked to allow people to get in and out). PDC +4

Walker Upgrades
Leg Extensions
The legs can be extended in length. Each 5 foot increase gives +1 square in speed, but every 10 feet decreases maneuverability by -1. PDC +2 per 5 feet increase.

Snow Pads
The feet are widened to decrease ground pressure and to provide better footing in snow, preventing the vehicle from sinking too deep in the snow. Also works in sand. +2 bonus to checks while in snow and sand environments. PDC +1

Greater Articulation
These legs have more joints and greater articulation, allowing for better control in extremely rough terrain, such as rocky mountains, debris fields, disaster areas such as after earthquakes.  Walker speed decreased by 1 square, but gains a farther +1 to maneuverability and has a +3 bonus to climb checks.  PDC +2
This looks great and I've used a lot of the generic vehicles with caster wheels (how much fun would those be in real life?) and hover vehicles. I was wondering about a few things.

- While we don't see them in modern times except at major dig sites and in our few remaining frontiers, those "over-sized" trucks, bulldozers, and cranes are seen a lot as part of the equipment for colony worlds. How would you go about statting vehicles which, more-or-less, need more than two lanes to travel on roads, when they do travel on roads.

-Speaking of bulldozers, catipillar treads. They seem run in the 1/2 speed to 2/3 speed modification, but I'd imagine giving them the ability to handle better than an off-road modification but not nearly as well as the hover conversion. Should it be priced as a base PDC modifier or as a seperate PDC?

-Final thought: Crane arms and cherry-pickers. In essence, gives a vehicle reach and strength. I figure strength versus a weight limit because cranes use their arms to push/pull themselves out (while using their treads), which could be represented with a Str check (possibly modified by the drive skill in some way). 

I really appreciate all the work y'all have done. Thanks so much! 
If you can find premade stats of current construction vehicles, versions in the future for use on colonies would probably have 10 to 50% creater HP, and hardness increased by a good 2 to 5 points easily. On worlds where there's greater danger, they might be armoured.

The problem with trying to stat bulldozers and cranes with a strength score is d20 modern doesn't have str listings high enough for the kind of weights they move. Instead I'd probably just give it a dead weight limit. Like say a bobcat size bulldozer can move 5 tons (no idea what it can actually move) of dead weight. So it can push a 5 ton rock around, although probably be considered encumbered and move at half speed. But if said 5 ton rock was on casters, then it's easier to move..
So for different types of "assistance" the effective dead weight the bobcat can move is increase.

So simple wheels/casters increase dead weight or speed can move at by 10%.
Frictionless wheels or trailer designed to hold dead weight limit of the pushing vehicle increase speed by 25%. Or something like that. This is just off the top of my head.

Similar means for cranes and cherry-pickers. they have a weight limit that they can move. Now.. if you use a crane to attempt to drag a car, like hooking a cable from a crane to the back of a car to keep it from escaping. Then if the car is less than 25% of the weight capacity of the crane, the car isn't going anywhere.  
If you want a check, take max weight (or in case of a bulldozer or wench, dead weight), divide by the of the opposing vehicle, that number is the str bonus modifer, add in bonuses for size difference between vehicles, and away you go. If it's mounted to a fixed location, like most cranes, give it a +4 stability bonus. 

Now.. treaded vehicles.. hmm.. reduce speed by say 1/3, give it off road capabilities, and can ford ditches and small rivers/creeks equal to half to 2/3rds the length of the vehicle easily, and climb inclines of up to 60 degrees better than wheeled vehicles. Give it a +2 stability bonus for rough terrain and against being tipped, and pushing or pulling stuff. increase weight of the vehicle by at least 25%. Increase pdc by say +4? reduce by 1 per PL above 5.

Just off the top of my head. something I might actually work out at some point more later on. 
Found this on Wikipedia a few seconds ago en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construction_equip... so I will start trying to make a small table listing of them... most will be listed as HUGE + I figure
Got to thinking while expanding on specifics of vehicle modifications from the Apocalypse book for use by the players when they finally get a vehicle in my post-apoc campaign that I will put forward for play at the next meeting...   so what about engine mods like superchargers, turbochargers, and etc for the vehicles and Nitrous for that extra speed to outrun the baddies or the police... do you have any stats for them

Also any chance of more tidbits or is this finished or still WIP