The five most important sets in the history of Magic

48 posts / 0 new
Last post

Magic: The Gathering has seen a large number of expansions and core sets. And some are more important than others. I think I've come to understand what are the five most important sets in the history of the game. These are sets that changed the way magic is designed and how the game is played. Without these five sets, I'm not sure Magic would be as interesting a game as it is now.

1. Alpha/Beta. Ok, so this is cheating. Without this set, the game would not exist. But its importance is so obvious, I don't think I need to say anymore.

2. Legends. Legends introduced multicolor and legends. It's easy to take multicolor and legends for granted, but before this set, they did not exist. Imagine how the game would be without these two things.

3. Ice Age. Ice Age began the concept of block mechanics and block structure. I also think Ice Age introduced the concept of introducing new keyword mechanics every three sets. A very important set, no doubt.

4. Visions. This may seem like an odd choice, but consider this: before this set, no creature or permanent ever had a CIP ability. This addition not only inspired more cards, but new mechanics as well. It's such a pervasive ability. It is hard to imagine the game without it.

5. Invasion. I've always thought Invasion marked a change in Magic and I've never been too sure about how. In my mind, it is the first 'modern' set. I instinctively felt this, but I think I can explain it: Invasion is the first set where limited design was prominent. Urza and MM tried to do it somewhat and I think both of those blocks failed at it. Invasion succeeded very well with its prominent limited design that I think it's hard to ignore that contribution to magic.

So, just something I had in my head today. Any thoughts?

Homelands

Kamigawa

Time Spiral

Alara

This is not a joke. People hated these sets for various reasons, and Magic has learned a lot from what it did wrong much more so than the stuff it learned from what it did right. For example, many think Ravnica to still be the best block ever. It's something they did right, but there's not much to learn from it if people only say "Reprint Ravnica" all the time and hardly say what's wrong with it.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.

I was unaware that people hated Planar Chaos and Shards of Alara. I remember Time Spiral's timeshifted thing making people go a little nutty. In fact, I remember posting an enormous sarcastic parody rant that earned me my custom title because of those things.

If you're going to consider things from the 'doing it wrong' side, then Urza's Saga must be about the must educational set ever.

Pfizzy, you know better than to leave off Sixth Edition.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

Homelands

Kamigawa

Planar Chaos

Alara

This is not a joke. People hated these sets for various reasons, and Magic has learned a lot from what it did wrong much more so than the stuff it learned from what it did right. For example, many think Ravnica to still be the best block ever. It's something they did right, but there's not much to learn from it if people only say "Reprint Ravnica" all the time and hardly say what's wrong with it.

People hated Planar Chaos?  News to me.  I've read few times some people complaining about color bleed but in general, there was much more people who liked the whole idea. 

For me it's also one of the important blocks.  It's the dot at the end of the line.  It wraped up a whole lot of sets and ideas and also introduced ideas for the future.

Lorwyn could deserve a mention as being the one introducing Planeswalkers.
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
also PC and Alara were nowhere near as hated as Masques and Urza Block.

seriously.

I was unaware that people hated Planar Chaos and Shards of Alara. I remember Time Spiral's timeshifted thing making people go a little nutty. In fact, I remember posting an enormous sarcastic parody rant that earned me my custom title because of those things.

Yes. I personally liked Shards of Alara, but overall it wasn't well received. I wasn't around for TSP, but my friend was, and he personally liked it, and I eventually began to think it was pretty cool. I'm not sure as to exactly why, but the set did poorly, and I've gathered that WotC even apologized for it. 

If you're going to consider things from the 'doing it wrong' side, then Urza's Saga must be about the must educational set ever.

I was trying to go for five, but I haven't been in Magic long enough to really distinguish between Mercadian Masques and Urza's Saga to be sure enough which one was the huge mistake. All the older blocks people talk about get scrambled into a lump in my head. There's no need to really sort them out except for things like this.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
Pfizzy, you know better than to leave off Sixth Edition.

I cannot believe I did that. Seriously, Sixth edition's impact on the game has been enormous. What is wrong with me?

Urza Block saw many cards get banned and at least one card get banned just prior to being released.
I cannot believe I did that. Seriously, Sixth edition's impact on the game has been enormous. What is wrong with me?

you must be getting old.

I'm not QUITE 30 yeat. Almost, but not quite.

I'm still trying to figure out why people dislike time spiral, it's easily my favorite set.

I guess it's because i'm biased, actually. <_< 
I'll agree with JTI in that the most important sets are the ones that were, if not bad, unsuccessful.

I would add the Urza block, as it clearly had massive problems, and I would replace Alara with Masques. I wasn't aware of Alara being bad at all (in fact, I found it quite fun) but Masques felt wrong all the way around and it taught them some lessons that can be seen affecting Magic to this day. And really, I don't think enough time has passed since Alara to see if it has changed Magic yet.
Micorku's World Bits - A Vorthos writing about various creative topics. Updates sporadically Iroas - The world needs heroes - will you answer the call? There is also an RPG that is in Pre-Alpha stage.

• Beta

• Urza's Saga

• Urza's Legacy

• Urza's Destiny

• Darksteel

The five most recent sets are always the most important because they represent Magic's evolution and the direction it's headed.
In order of apperance, and just in my opinion, the five most important magic sets are...

1) Arabian Nights - While the set is mostly unremarkable, there was a lot of long term design decisions that were made here that would have effected the long game. If the card backs had stayed the Purple that was originally planned, then we would be playing a VERY different game right now... if we were still playing it at all.

2) Ice Age - Ice age started to create the idea/concept of a "block" of cards. While we would not truely see a Block till Mirage, the idea of a "Stand Alone Set" that could be played in exclusion of the other sets was introduced here.

3) Tempest - Tempest is the first set that really tried to make Creature Type matter. While more Lords would come later, and other sets like Legions would make it a stronger focus, Tempest's set up of Shadow Creatures and Slivers created a dynamic and somewhat serious creature threat theme. Tempest helps set up creature synergy heavy decks, such as the modern Merfolk and Elves deck. While these deck archtypes might have still come about, Tempest was the first real playground in making creatures work together.

4)Ravnica - While it is true that other sets before it contained multicolored cards, I feel that Ravnica set the standard for what a Multicolor set was suppose to feel like. While the Invasion block did a descent job, it was more concentrated on two seperate factions then what multicolored cards really meant. Ravnica sets a standard for all sets forward in when mutlicolor cards should be used, and more importantly, figuring out what multicolor cards mean.

5) Lorwyn - It introduced Planeswalker typed cards into the game. I think that's enough to make it worth a mention.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Alright...
Why is it that all people have to say about Lorwyn is that it brought Planeswalkers? Maybe I'm biased toward the set because that's what I started with, but the set was also the first to show us how many cards it would take before players would say, "this is simply Too Many Damn Cards". Though I found the split/megablock Lorwyn/Morningtide-Shadowmoor/Eventide thingy quite joyful, some people didn't like it.

Lorwyn isn't all about Planeswalkers. It's about a lot of other stuff, too!

... sorry.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
Oh, I agree, Terror. There is a lot of other thigns in the Superblock that are exciting. It's just I am not sure if they will be as memorable in the long run as the Card That Changed How Magic Is Played (TM). I, for example, throughly love my Selkie deck, and I like that it is a dedicated Kinfolk Block. However, I don't know if that is going to be remarkable in a few years.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)

The impact of the Sixth Edition rules change was enormous, yes. But in a list of the most important sets, I would focus on the cards in the set and their impact on the game - or direct consequences of the release of the set itself as that particular set, not things that could be done in association with any other set.

If Wizards had been so inclined, we would be speaking of the Mercadian Masques rule change instead of the Sixth Edition rules change.

I would definitely concure with picking Legends and Ice Age as two of the most important sets. Alpha, Beta, and Unlimited could almost be the other three!

If I were making a list, though, what would I pick?

Limited Edition Beta. This is the corrected version of the original set. It got everything right.

Arabian Nights. This set established the idea of having other sets in addition to the core set... and that they would have the same card back.

Legends. Like you said: legends and multicolor.

Ice Age. Like you said: changing additional sets to connected blocks.

Revised Edition. Because Magic survived it - and because it would be a very different game, and not nearly as good a game, if Black Lotus were a Core Set perennial, just like Birds of Paradise.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Oh, I agree, Terror. There is a lot of other thigns in the Superblock that are exciting. It's just I am not sure if they will be as memorable in the long run as the Card That Changed How Magic Is Played (TM). I, for example, throughly love my Selkie deck, and I like that it is a dedicated Kinfolk Block. However, I don't know if that is going to be remarkable in a few years.

They will be remarkable forever. If Lorwyn didn't bring about Planeswalkers, some other block would have, and it would have been just as remarkable. The only walker from that block that's even remotely usable is Jace Beleren, and that's a long shot most of the time.

Really, I think they should have come out during a core set and not a superblock that just so happened to be super enough to contain planeswalkers and too many other fantastic cards. It was great, and large, yet still overshadowed by 'walkers.

I am likely only making these rants because even though I started playing while this set was the newest on the shelves, and that's what I have the most of, I didn't know that planeswalkers existed until almost a year after I started playing, and that was just while hitting the "random card" button on AnyCraze.com for a couple hours.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
This is my list:

A/B/U: This is where is started how can you not include these?

Urza: The first run in with whap happens when there is too much power in the cards.

Invasion: Wotc did multicolor right for the first time and it became one of the most well recieved sets ever.

Mirrodin: Made artifacts a theme no one thought would ever be done. Also like Urza a run in with a ton of power which since hasn't been seen again.

Ravnica: Improved upon what Invasion started. The guilds are still one of the staple things in all magic. Most of the guild names became the nicknames for pretty much any deck that used those two colors.

There were a lot of influential sets but these I felt were the top. Honorable mentions would go to Arabian Nights, Ice Age, and Time Spiral.

For the record Lorwyn and Time Spiral were of my favorite 5 blocks. 
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
I'd include:

Urza's Saga, Darksteel. Shher bahrokenness.

And it isn't that pfi's getting old, he just missed his daily happy meal.
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
I'd include Fallen Empires for its Tribal mechanics and broad use of tokens.
They will be remarkable forever. If Lorwyn didn't bring about Planeswalkers, some other block would have, and it would have been just as remarkable. The only walker from that block that's even remotely usable is Jace Beleren, and that's a long shot most of the time.

I can see saying that about Chandra or even Liliana, but Garruk? Not "remotely usable"? And Ajani consistently showed up in WW decks of the time, so it's not like he's unplayable. For a long while he saw far more play than Jace.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I can see saying that about Chandra or even Liliana, but Garruk? Not "remotely usable"? And Ajani consistently showed up in WW decks of the time, so it's not like he's unplayable. For a long while he saw far more play than Jace.

I've used Liliana and Chandra far more than the other 3 actually.  But yeah, saying Jace is the only usable one is kinda silly.

I won a lot of FNM with Ajani Goldmane back in the day.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
Liliana was just in a top 8 deck. All five saw competitive play and some still do. They are actually a good power level, if not overly exciting compared to others after almost four straight years in Standard. It's more than a stretch to claim otherwise at this point.

Homelands

Kamigawa

Planar Chaos

Alara

People hated Planar Chaos?  News to me.  I've read few times some people complaining about color bleed but in general, there was much more people who liked the whole idea.  

For me it's also one of the important blocks.  It's the dot at the end of the line.  It wraped up a whole lot of sets and ideas and also introduced ideas for the future.

Time Spiral has been redeemed somewhat after the fact in that the three months it was in Nu-Extended were far more promising for the format than the time after it rotated. But it didn't do well. Mark Rosewater spent much of his State of Design article apologizing for it and they have stayed the hell away from anything like it ever since.

Planar Chaos in particular divided the community sharply. MaRo did say it was the hardest set to design but as half the set was a subset of existing cards that had different mana symbols people weren't buying it. Then you had the Color Pie Cultists (CPC's) ripping it apart for its grave transgressions while regular everyday Magic players were discovering it wasn't very powerful. No, it did not do well. 

Me, I will always remember it, and the rest of the block, fondly.

I don't think Alara was hated enough to be one of the five most key sets, although it has historical value. It marked the start of a simpler design approach and the beginning of the mythic rarity.

Going back to the OP, I would put Alliances over Visions as it probably saved Magic. Not sure Invasion would be a top 5 just because it got the luxury of not being Masques, but it was a very beloved block. Urza or Mirrodin might be more historically important for negative reasons.

No core set outside of Alpha/Beta should be considered. Sixth Edition accomapnied a rulesset and was not itself all theat significant.
in this order:

ABU: obvobv.
Arabian Nights: established various sets as a single interconnected game.
Sixth Edition: completely rewrote the rules of the game.
Invasion: being the first block really, successfully designed for limited.

and then a tie between Legends for its legends and multicolored crap and Lorwyn for its planeswalkers.

1. Alpha/Beta: Here it begins.

2. Homelands: This is not going far enough.

3. Urza's Saga: This is going to far.

4. Fallen Empires: Variety of cards is important, not variety of illustrations.

5. Unglued: Because sometimes you come up with great ideas when you don't think what you're doing matters.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

If I had to pick the 5 most important sets they would be,

Beta
Urza
Ravinica
Mirrodin
Shadowmoor

The thing they all have in common is a strong sense of the world they are describing.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I would say the most *important* sets are:
1) A,B,U (which is self-explanatory)
2) Tempest
3) Urza's Saga
4) Mirrodin
5) Urza's Destiny

We learn the most about the game, and how to make it work, by breaking it and then looking at the pieces while we put them back together.

Five tons of Flax,
Mal
Yay!  The old farts are regathering!
Now where the hell is Yamo?
Yay!  The old farts are regathering!
Now where the hell is Yamo?

Wearing his hat, I'm sure.

1) ABU: Started the game
2) Legends: Introduced a lot of concepts, especially multicolor.
3) Homelands: A mistake to learn from as balance.
4) Urza's Saga: Likewise...
5) 6th Edition: Rules as we mostly use them today.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Alpha/Beta - Started it all
Urza's Saga - Showed us that things could still go really, wrongly, bad
Odyssey - Showed us that the graveyard could be something more than a discard pile
Apocalypse - Made enemy color decks more than just a random anomally
Mirrodin - Before this, artifacts were a random set of 10 or so cards at the end of a set consisting of keyword enablers, over priced creatures, and millstone varients 
Worldwake 
Urza's Legacy
Alpha/Beta

Contained Jace.
Contained Rancor.
Gave us cards to compare Jace and Rancor to. 
 When no one was looking, Pinkie Pie took FORTY cakes. She took 40 cakes. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
also PC and Alara were nowhere near as hated as Masques and Urza Block.

seriously.

Yea mercadian masques I think it is right? Way too many creatures (usually spell shapers) and cards with the cost of discarding a card from your hand, that was a really bad set with a few gleaming cards of awesomeness wrapped in.
Worldwake 
Urza's Legacy
Alpha/Beta

Contained Jace.
Contained Rancor.

Which cards in AB even come close to the raw power of Jace and the complete indestructability of Rancor?
The Pony Co. Because none of us are as loving as all of us.
Contact info
In case contacting me over the forums is not possible for some reason or another, my email is morten.c.k.olsen@gmail.com. Please state who you are, because I will most likely end up ignoring people that I don't know at least somewhat.
Alwaaaaays, I wanna be with you!
56287226 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
You clearly overestimate my cognitive skills by assuming that I could have accumulated that knowledge independently.
Okay, I'll be sure not to make that kind of assumption in the future. Now, if you'd like to go back to the main Magic General 'forum' page (that's the one that lists all the different 'discussion threads' that people have 'posted') from this page, just press the up-arrow key on your keyboard until you reach the top of the page, then click the link that says "Magic General"--it should be in fairly small font, just above the buttons labeled "Post Reply" and "Subscribe" and the box labeled "Jump Menu", but below the blue link labeled "Preferences". It'll be in a line with a number of other small-font links with different names. From the 'forum' page you will be able to select another 'thread' to view; 'threads' that people have 'posted' to since you last looked at them will have their names listed in bold font and have the number of unread replies listed just to the right of the name. If you click that unread replies number, it will take you right to the last reply you viewed in the 'thread' so that you can continue reading all the new replies from there. To get back to the main Magic General 'forum' page, just repeat the process from the previous paragraph--don't worry if you're on a different page, all 'thread' pages will have the same basic layout, so it should work exactly the same on any page in the Magic General 'forum'.\ And remember, if you accidentally click on the wrong link and find yourself on a page you're not familiar with, there's no need to panic; you can always press the 'back' button in your browser to go back to whatever you were looking at before. It should be on the left-hand side near the top of the screen, just below the menu bar, and will probably have a picture of some kind of arrow pointing to the left on it. Hope that helps!
56957928 wrote:
56914748 wrote:
The explanation given was that since land cards represent mystical bonds to far-off places rather than actual tangible things like creatures and other permanents, a person might have more than one memory of an area, or different mages could forge a bond to different parts of a place, etc. and that simply being a unique location doesn't necessarily mean that a land card has to be legendary.
"I remember my days as a schoolboy at the Tolarian Academy..." "Really? I went there too-" "Wait don't- Well ****, there goes my childhood."
56816728 wrote:
I was clearly wrong about Dragon_Whelp, he clearly is a jerk.
57471038 wrote:
Allow me to extrapolate—regular game play, as defined by WotC, is tournament play. As such, Casual, EDH, Planechase, and all that other stuff is irregular Magic; if Magic at all. So the next time someone says Competitive Constructed decks are not the only decks that count in Constructed (Casual Constructed), then I can gleefully point to the definition set forth by WotC and say that Competitive Constructed is in deed the only ones that count, and that they are playing some irregular form of Magic.
56792158 wrote:
Dragon, just don't argue with Hovercraft. He's his own Legacy metagame.
57471038 wrote:
One with Nothing is the third iteration in an attempt to make Black Lotus fair: Black Lotus: That's too good, we need to tone it down. Lion's Eye Diamond: Dammit, players are still using it in a very broken manner! One with Nothing: Alright! We got it now.
Twin2;15476002 wrote:
What happened to the really fun cards? Well you see a long long time ago the earth was ruled by dinosaurs. They were big so not a lot of people went around hassling them. Then a giant meteorite struck the earth, good bye dinosaurs. But what if the dinosaurs weren't all destroyed? What if the impact of that meteorite created a parallel dimension where the dinosaurs continue to thrive and evolve into intelligent vicious aggressive beings? What if they found a way back? ....wait that's not what happened to the fun cards that's the intro to the mario brothers movie. Get those two confused all the time, my bad.
56981618 wrote:
It's a folllow-up on the Priceless Treasures, Deadly Perils idea. See, what happened was, you got the packs that the Eldrazi had already gotten to--the had annihilated everything but the land itself. In fall, expect to open some packs and find cards covered in goopy, black oil. It's all about the marketing angle, people.
My crack...

A/B/U: Got the game off the ground.
Homelands: Proved that an awesome storyline does not automatically equal a good set (i.e. you need balance between Melvin and Vorthos).
Urza's Saga: After producing a few sets that were underpowered, this proved that you can go badly in the other direction too. WotC really tightened up on their design in response to this set's brokenness.
Prophecy: Proved that you can't base a set around a mechanic that is about as much fun as a root canal.
Invasion: The first "yeah, we finally got the balance right" set.

Really, most things since Invasion have been gravy in comparison to the early sets. I'd probably argue that they still occasionally make the Prophecy mistake (basing around bad mechanics - hi Kamigawa!), and that the middle set in a block can sometimes end up somewhat underpowered (hi Beseiged!), but really, I can't argue with the overall quality. Especially with the core sets now.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Worldwake 
Urza's Legacy
Alpha/Beta

Contained Jace.
Contained Rancor.

Which cards in AB even come close to the raw power of Jace and the complete indestructability of Rancor?

None, which is what makes these cards so good.
 When no one was looking, Pinkie Pie took FORTY cakes. She took 40 cakes. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Sarcasm doesn't translate well to text. So I'll go ahead and post a list, starting alphabetically from Black:

Animate Dead
Contract from below
Dark Ritual
Demonic Tutor
Mind Twist
Pestilence
Terror (honorable mention)
Ancestral Recall
Counterspell
Stasis
Time walk
Timetwister
Birds of Paradise
Channel
Fastbond
Lightning bolt
Mana flare
Wheel of Fortune
Armageddon (why is this in portal? to teach new players lands are fickle?)
Balance
Swords to Plowshares
Wrath of God
Basalt Monolith
Black Lotus
Black Vise
Chaos Orb (especially devastating against a token with a die or beads to represent numbers or equipped creatures/enchanted permanents, also land stacks)
Icy Manipulator (before errata)
Mana Vault
Mox Emerald/Jet/Pearl/Ruby/Sapphire
Nevinyrral's Disk
Sol Ring
Time Vault
Winter Orb
Badlands/Bayou/Plateau/Savannah/Scrubland/Taiga/Tropical Island/Tundra/Underground Sea/Volcanic Island

Of course this is subject to opinion, but these are all extremely powerful cards used and abused often (except maybe contract from below, but that card is amazingly broken, especially in a set with this many mana enablers).
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.

Okay. Maybe I was a bit aggressive there. I guess it's my personal sentiments about the set, and how it's overshadowed by the "Planes" "Walkers".

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:

Okay. Maybe I was a bit aggressive there. I guess it's my personal sentiments about the set, and how it's overshadowed by the "Planes" "Walkers".

Does it really matter? They're all just Merely Okay Now That Jace Exists™.
The Pony Co. Because none of us are as loving as all of us.
Contact info
In case contacting me over the forums is not possible for some reason or another, my email is morten.c.k.olsen@gmail.com. Please state who you are, because I will most likely end up ignoring people that I don't know at least somewhat.
Alwaaaaays, I wanna be with you!
56287226 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
You clearly overestimate my cognitive skills by assuming that I could have accumulated that knowledge independently.
Okay, I'll be sure not to make that kind of assumption in the future. Now, if you'd like to go back to the main Magic General 'forum' page (that's the one that lists all the different 'discussion threads' that people have 'posted') from this page, just press the up-arrow key on your keyboard until you reach the top of the page, then click the link that says "Magic General"--it should be in fairly small font, just above the buttons labeled "Post Reply" and "Subscribe" and the box labeled "Jump Menu", but below the blue link labeled "Preferences". It'll be in a line with a number of other small-font links with different names. From the 'forum' page you will be able to select another 'thread' to view; 'threads' that people have 'posted' to since you last looked at them will have their names listed in bold font and have the number of unread replies listed just to the right of the name. If you click that unread replies number, it will take you right to the last reply you viewed in the 'thread' so that you can continue reading all the new replies from there. To get back to the main Magic General 'forum' page, just repeat the process from the previous paragraph--don't worry if you're on a different page, all 'thread' pages will have the same basic layout, so it should work exactly the same on any page in the Magic General 'forum'.\ And remember, if you accidentally click on the wrong link and find yourself on a page you're not familiar with, there's no need to panic; you can always press the 'back' button in your browser to go back to whatever you were looking at before. It should be on the left-hand side near the top of the screen, just below the menu bar, and will probably have a picture of some kind of arrow pointing to the left on it. Hope that helps!
56957928 wrote:
56914748 wrote:
The explanation given was that since land cards represent mystical bonds to far-off places rather than actual tangible things like creatures and other permanents, a person might have more than one memory of an area, or different mages could forge a bond to different parts of a place, etc. and that simply being a unique location doesn't necessarily mean that a land card has to be legendary.
"I remember my days as a schoolboy at the Tolarian Academy..." "Really? I went there too-" "Wait don't- Well ****, there goes my childhood."
56816728 wrote:
I was clearly wrong about Dragon_Whelp, he clearly is a jerk.
57471038 wrote:
Allow me to extrapolate—regular game play, as defined by WotC, is tournament play. As such, Casual, EDH, Planechase, and all that other stuff is irregular Magic; if Magic at all. So the next time someone says Competitive Constructed decks are not the only decks that count in Constructed (Casual Constructed), then I can gleefully point to the definition set forth by WotC and say that Competitive Constructed is in deed the only ones that count, and that they are playing some irregular form of Magic.
56792158 wrote:
Dragon, just don't argue with Hovercraft. He's his own Legacy metagame.
57471038 wrote:
One with Nothing is the third iteration in an attempt to make Black Lotus fair: Black Lotus: That's too good, we need to tone it down. Lion's Eye Diamond: Dammit, players are still using it in a very broken manner! One with Nothing: Alright! We got it now.
Twin2;15476002 wrote:
What happened to the really fun cards? Well you see a long long time ago the earth was ruled by dinosaurs. They were big so not a lot of people went around hassling them. Then a giant meteorite struck the earth, good bye dinosaurs. But what if the dinosaurs weren't all destroyed? What if the impact of that meteorite created a parallel dimension where the dinosaurs continue to thrive and evolve into intelligent vicious aggressive beings? What if they found a way back? ....wait that's not what happened to the fun cards that's the intro to the mario brothers movie. Get those two confused all the time, my bad.
56981618 wrote:
It's a folllow-up on the Priceless Treasures, Deadly Perils idea. See, what happened was, you got the packs that the Eldrazi had already gotten to--the had annihilated everything but the land itself. In fall, expect to open some packs and find cards covered in goopy, black oil. It's all about the marketing angle, people.