03/31/2011 FtL: "Proliferation Station"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Nice decks.  I particularly like the Myojin decks.  There is just so much you can do with proliferate that it is a great mechanic.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

I love the double pun in Prolife-R/AGE, but I would prefer to play the deck "wrong" by pretending Braid of Fire has an errata that makes its mana still burn you.  I don't like it as an all-upside card, just because the flavor is so wrong.

The myojin deck definitely needs more Footsteps of the Goryo and the like.  I also like things that shuffle large amounts of your graveyard back into your library so that you can keep drawing large piles of cards basically forever.

"Bombs" already has a meaning in Magic so it's a terrible name for 6-mana artifacts.  I believe I was one of those who suggested "Gears", but I still like the idea of "Clanks" as a Girl Genius reference.

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
I liked the combo in ProliferAGE. (The specific one of reference is Braid of Fire and Magmatic Core. The addition of Bomb Squad just added to the creature hate.

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green).

He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one."

I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred:

Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature.

Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself?

Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill.

Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it.

Him: You can't do that.

Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I have a deck like prolifeRAGE; and I think one card that should've been included is Torch Song. It's great with proliferate and it's yet another type of counters (verse counters, this time). Having 1 of those in play will make your opponents (I always play multiplayer) wary of making you mad at them. Either that or they'll just all jump right onto you ;)
I combined that deck with Jacob van Lunen's quiet recent proliferate-control deck to a 98 card (I was missing 2 sleeves ^^) deck that is really fun to play with multiple strategies. I might include the braid of fire - magmatic core combo though, it looks like great fun!
I played the Braid of Fire/ Magmatic Core combo back when Coldsnap came out.  One thing that I should note is that you need some sort of regenerator or indestructable creature in order to keep your creatures alive.  If your opponent runs out of creatures, you will start to kill your your own creatures until the field is clear.  Maybe adding Stuffy Doll would be a good idea.
Since the first deck is running Pridemate, maybe sun droplet would be better than golden urn (especially if you're going multiplayer).
The thallid angle he mentioned at the beginning is one of my favorite uses for Proliferate.  I threw a couple contagion engines into my thallid deck recently, and this past weekend it helped me use a Deathspore Thallid to kill a 19/22 Forgotten Ancient! I lost that (multiplayer) game, but that's a small price to pay for doing something epic.
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm
How can you tap the Plaguemaw Beast when it's just come into play? What am I missing here?
One thing that I should note is that you need some sort of regenerator or indestructable creature in order to keep your creatures alive.  If your opponent runs out of creatures, you will start to kill your your own creatures until the field is clear.

Aren't you allowed to choose zero targets for Magmatic Core?

One thing that I should note is that you need some sort of regenerator or indestructable creature in order to keep your creatures alive.  If your opponent runs out of creatures, you will start to kill your your own creatures until the field is clear.

Aren't you allowed to choose zero targets for Magmatic Core?

Look at the Gatherer link for Magmatic Core in either my post or your post for the rulings.  If you have at least one age counter on it then you have to target at least one creature, even if you are the only one with creatures.
Unless of course you figure out how to divide by zero.

I wouldn't try it though, chances are it'll cause the universe to collapse.
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
How can you tap the Plaguemaw Beast when it's just come into play? What am I missing here?

No one said you should.  The combo calls for you to have a Plagemaw Beast in play at the start of the turn, and to have a Myojin which may or may not have been in play at the start of the turn.  It's a little confusing where he says "Weird Harvest for those three creatures" - he means Pestermite, Kozilek's Predator, and Dust Elemental.  And you also need to have either another creature in play to sack to the Plaguemaw or have somehow already gotten a second counter on the Myojin.

Combos revolving around nine-mana creatures don't impress me much, I'm afraid.  It's a cute idea but this is not one of the decks from this column I'm terribly interested in building.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Sign In to post comments