Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for April, 2011

229 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of April, 2011.
4 Jaces? So predictable.
blah blah metal lyrics
So now does everyone believe that New Phyrexia is actually the name of the upcoming set, instead of it being an early April Fools joke?

Although the storyline makes me think of the first two verses of Genesis' "Cinema Show" for some weird reason. Maybe I should make these decks myself and listen to the album while playing.

Edit: Crap, I thoguht this was an Arcana. Looks like Tom had the night off from very serious discussion. 
It's not the metagame if it doesn't have a full playset of Relentless Rats.

How did they come up with the basic land number anyways? 604 of each seems pretty arbitrary. 
Any advice for the mirror?

Oh, that's right, both players are DQ'ed because they need assistance shuffling their deck.

Cut 3 of every non-basic land except Prophetic Prism.  That'll work!
What are the dci rules for decks that cannot stand up in one stack? How does shuffling work?
There's an error in the decklist, Monty - Mindless Null should be in the sideboard!
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Gigantic ROFLMAO at the Daily Deck.  Been a long time since that feature had anything to offer me.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
It's not the metagame if it doesn't have a full playset of Relentless Rats.

You're right, this deck's maker will get a game loss because its maker failed to correctly register a playset of Relentless Rats. Might I suggest this feature on Daily MTG today to help with that in the future?
The end is always nigh.
Did the sample hand generator work for anyone?
Best wallpaper ever!
they stole my joke :P
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
(the new forum broke the deck list, it used to be longer)

and no, the hand-generator doesn't work for me either. that would be fun
my new deck: Bears with Weapons
Did the sample hand generator work for anyone?

Yup, no real issue.

Opening hand is: Strength of the Tajuru (XGG), Painsmith (1B), Runed Servitor (2),  Ruinous Minotaur (1RR), 2 Plains, and 1 Mountain.

Drew into a Forest. Next 2 Draws (Servitor) got me another Mountain and Forest.

Needless to say I swept that game. 
Call me crazy... but I don't actually think this is a horrible idea! As on online format, of course. Like Momir, but not so random and pointless. Make this so!
I tried this deck. I think it needs tightening up a little. Seemed inconsistent.
Call me crazy... but I don't actually think this is a horrible idea! As on online format, of course. Like Momir, but not so random and pointless. Make this so!

Agreed. I'd definitely be up for a MTGO format that'll always contain all the cards in Standard.
It's not like Momir doesn't take strategy, but I'd prefer something like this. 
~C Bronies forever- because the best show on television is a cartoon for little girls. Things that cheer me up: the upcoming Good Omens miniseries, Discworld being adapted to a crime-of-the-week TV series (CSI: Ankh-Morpork), and ponies. Lots and lots of ponies.
There wasn't a feedback link from this, but:  I enjoyed the Deck Registration simulator.

I spelled 4 cards correctly including Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon, but Skithiryx wasn't accepted (possibly because I broke it across two lines)?  So I just made a dash and submitted for that, as well as for the last card.

Final score:  one game loss.  My first, and only, loss for deck registration error .
How did they come up with the basic land number anyways? 604 of each seems pretty arbitrary. 

Playtesting
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
The Deck Registration Simulator doesn't accept "Skittles"!!! 

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Playtesting

Actually, it was a George Baxter Analysis with weighting based on a combination of limited pointing and card frequency in T8 decklists.

-MT Head
There wasn't a feedback link from this, but:  I enjoyed the Deck Registration simulator.

I spelled 4 cards correctly including Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon, but Skithiryx wasn't accepted (possibly because I broke it across two lines)?  So I just made a dash and submitted for that, as well as for the last card.

Final score:  one game loss.  My first, and only, loss for deck registration error .

The cards didn't show for me, but as long as I just clicked in the text box, I get credit for 4 of 5 being registered correctly.

-MT Head
It's Friday! Let's hear the best song evar!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

April fools!
@ guimhj:  you posted a YouTube link on April Fool's Day, and it wasn't a rick-roll. fail. :P

as for the deck- I think that might be more expensive than 58 Black Lotus a Channel and a Comet Storm.dec Using signed Black Lotuses. from Beta. maybe. considering all those Mythics, it really might be. someone should run this list through Star City Games and find out! xD

68x 2k = 136k.  if this deck would cost 140k, its the most expensive list i've ever seen.

oh, and its got OVER NINE THOUSAND! cards. epic win.
@ guimhj:  you posted a YouTube link on April Fool's Day, and it wasn't a rick-roll. fail. :P

I am sure many people got Rebecca-rolled today...makes me glad I have Fridays off.

as for the deck- I think that might be more expensive than 58 Black Lotus a Channel and a Comet Storm.dec Using signed Black Lotuses. from Beta. maybe. considering all those Mythics, it really might be. someone should run this list through Star City Games and find out! xD

68x 2k = 136k.  if this deck would cost 140k, its the most expensive list i've ever seen.

not even close to a deck of Lotuses. StarCity Games regularly sells playsets of each expansion for the $400 - $600 range.  There's only 6 sets in Standard right now, so at most it's $4k.  You can't even buy a wrinkled Black Lotus for that any more.
Yay, Phyrexian librarian...Un-sets are sorely missed...!

While the first two Phyrexian cards work against artifacts they tend to work alongside artifacts in sets beyond Antiquities.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Yeah that text makes little sense.
our new, happy life
Phyrexian Reaper's Oracle wording should to be modified back to its printed text. If my opponent activates its ability and reveals a card with converted mana cost 3, according to the printed text I could kill it by proliferating the +3/+3 counter. But the Oracle wording gives it 3 +1/+1 counters, so that won't work. Ditto for its interaction with Doubling Season.

not even close to a deck of Lotuses. StarCity Games regularly sells playsets of each expansion for the $400 - $600 range.  There's only 6 sets in Standard right now, so at most it's $4k.  You can't even buy a wrinkled Black Lotus for that any more.

Ignoring basic lands, it'd cost $4874.79 on SCG right now. (This is pretending they have 4× all the sets in Standard in stock, which they don't.)
blah blah metal lyrics
Phyrexian Reaper's Oracle wording should to be modified back to its printed text. If my opponent activates its ability and reveals a card with converted mana cost 3, according to the printed text I could kill it by proliferating the +3/+3 counter. But the Oracle wording gives it 3 +1/+1 counters, so that won't work. Ditto for its interaction with Doubling Season.

Um... Phyrexian Reaper's Oracle wording IS the printed text. And it doesn't involve any card reveals or counters.

What card are you actually talking about?

Um... Phyrexian Reaper's Oracle wording IS the printed text. And it doesn't involve any card reveals or counters.

He is talking about Phyrexian Devourer.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I am thoroughly excited about the new EDH Commander decks that are coming out. Definitely buying all of them. I am, however, a little disappointed that the Commanders are going to be oversized cards. Maybe I'll be less tempted to tweak the decks and keep them stock. Regardless, very excited. Can't wait until they preview the cards that come in each deck.

He is talking about Phyrexian Devourer.

They do need to fix that card. Not sure what is taking them so long.
There are oversized cards AND normal-sized versions of the three generals.  You get to have your cake and eat it.

I'm disappointed.  I heard there was going to be an EDH preview tonight, and got excited thinking there was going to be a new card previewed.  Instead we get 1/3 view of 5 different cards, which doesn't tell us anything.  WANT SPOILERS.
There are oversized cards AND normal-sized versions of the three generals.  You get to have your cake and eat it.

Oh, sweet. The oversized cards are an added bonus then (if you're into that sort of thing). I can get behind that.
Extra oversized cards is actually really cool. I'm excited for these decks. I just hope the power level is decent so you have more incentive to buy them than just for the legends. I'm not sure if the $30 price is for the extra cards in each deck, or for power...
The art of the new cards that I can see seems pretty cool. there is not many much I could comment though until the spoilers come.

I think though that the 30$ price is too much for a 100 card deck. The duel decks cost 20$ and have 2 decks with 60 cards each. 20 more cards for 10$ less. It is not like the oversize cards are of any use. You can just have them instead of the actual card if you use that general for the awesomeness. I don't say I wouldn't pay for awesomeness but 10$ for 3 oversize cards are way too much.
I just hope that the price is that high because of the high number of rares and mythic rares the decks will contain.
The art of the new cards that I can see seems pretty cool. there is not many much I could comment though until the spoilers come.

I think though that the 30$ price is too much for a 100 card deck. The duel decks cost 20$ and have 2 decks with 60 cards each. 20 more cards for 10$ less. It is not like the oversize cards are of any use. You can just have them instead of the actual card if you use that general for the awesomeness. I don't say I wouldn't pay for awesomeness but 10$ for 3 oversize cards are way too much.
I just hope that the price is that high because of the high number of rares and mythic rares the decks will contain.

1) All-new content. That's unique (well, hopefully not, but it's new).

2) I predict these decks will be a lot better than most budget-costed pre-builts (I qualify it that way because they've done absurd things like a sliver deck and a burn deck with a playset of Lightning Bolts, but the Premiums aren't "cheap").
A Minotaur Monk with a goat head?? Is it still April 1st?
A Minotaur Monk with a goat head?? Is it still April 1st?

thats actually a snooki/rebecca black/russel brand hybrid prototype, but its nowhere near as "tiger blood" as the red white black charlie sheen/gary busee/mel gibson model coming out soon.