Sarkhan the Mad fanart

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Howdy, it's me again.

Still on my journey to create official MtG art one day :P. This time with a Sarkhan the Mad / Sarkhan Vol fanart piece.

Sarkhan fanart

I'd be gratefull for any kind of feedback, it helps me getting better.

thx & cheers!
Nice man. I would have added some dragons in it though for flavor.
Thank you! Yeah, dragons would have been nice to add, haha. But maybe these "birds" in the background are dragons, who knows :P
The artwork is realy good. Would like to see some bodies laying around or skulls with rotting flesh. Riember he is supose to be god like in presence with a Wolverine temper. Here he looks almost human. I dont want to take away from the skill it took to do the work. Keep up the good work. What medium you use to do the art? I am looking to try something new. I work with oils now.
Thanks shadowslake, I work digitally, using photoshop and a wacom tablet.
And I suck horrendously at traditional art like oils or even linework. ;)
OOOOOO.. ic. Makes a difference then. That is why I cant even get close to the detail. LOL. I dont feel so bad now. The picture on my profile is one of my beter paintings. I set it for my icon.
Oh no, don't feel bad. Just try some digital techniques. It worked very well for me, and I'm still a newby at it. I started maybe 2 years ago, and my learning curve was pretty rampant until now. I really hope that I can do the art I want to do in a few years.

Still a lot of work and training ahead of me, but it wouldn't be fun without it.
Is there special software you use that will allow you to increace quality and ease of craftmanship?
As I said, Adobe Photoshop (you can get a 30 day demo for free) and a wacom tablet (the cheap ones are about 50 bucks) should be the basis. That's the stuff most concept artist use today.
Photoshop gives you endless tools, like texture brushes, dodge tools, smudge tools, various filters, etcetera. But in the end they just help you, of course. They don't actually do the work for you. For me, it's all "paint, undo, repaint, undo" until it looks the way I want it.

This Sarkhan took about 20 hours from start to finish, just to give you an idea .
Thanks. The aditional tools is what I was looking for. I will give it a try. I dont expect to turn out greatness day one. I will master it eventuly though.
The artwork is realy good. Would like to see some bodies laying around or skulls with rotting flesh. Riember he is supose to be god like in presence with a Wolverine temper. Here he looks almost human. I dont want to take away from the skill it took to do the work. Keep up the good work. What medium you use to do the art? I am looking to try something new. I work with oils now.

I'd just like to take a moment to point out that Sarkhan Vol is in fact 100% human, with a spell that allows him to shapeshift into a dragon.

Although Planeswalkers used to be gods, they're all mortal now because of the mending
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.

I'd just like to take a moment to point out that Sarkhan Vol is in fact 100% human, with a spell that allows him to shapeshift into a dragon.

Although Planeswalkers used to be gods, they're all mortal now because of the mending

I have been wrong before. This will not be the last.
This is a lot better, and you're getting a much more nuanced sense of texture and material, but you're still having some lighting problems...

It looks like Sarkhan is standing in front of the sun, right? It's above and to the back of him. But he looks like he's being lit from the front, at least on his abdomen. When you add in the lights from his flame hands things just become even more confused. I would recommend dropping down his overall value and the value levels in the background even, light him from behind in keeping with the clouded sun, and have the boldest lights be cast by his flame hands. You might also want to think about what your most important things in the painting are. If you have all of his body at roughly the same value range--white highlights with fairly low browns for your darks--there's no way of knowing what you want the viewer to focus on. If you make the area around the flames darker, and whatever else you want to focus on (the face, I would imagine, is most important) more contrasting throughout that will draw more attention from the viewer.

Really, the background and flames are pretty good... it's that sameness across his chest, arms, and face that is throwing things off.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
more! more of vol's artwork plsss!!!

i wish wizard would release more of cards artwork that related to vol

my personal fave was violent ultimatum... so devastating
Howdy, it's me again.

Still on my journey to create official MtG art one day :P. This time with a Sarkhan the Mad / Sarkhan Vol fanart piece.

Sarkhan fanart

I'd be gratefull for any kind of feedback, it helps me getting better.

thx & cheers!

if i permitted to add little quote here...

i think next time you can prolonging a bit the arm for drawing an anatomic figure..
imo the arm proportion a bit too short here...

sorry for critics but i just want to share my a little of my knowledge from drawing class
Your art of Sarkhan looks really authentic...

I actually stumbled across it while looking for a piece of artwork to put on a custom card of Sarkhan. This is perfect... but obviously, I won't use it on anything without your permission.

Either way, keep up the good work!
I'd be happy if you would use it. It would be nice if you could put my name in the "artist" tag of you custom card

cheers
I'd be happy if you would use it. It would be nice if you could put my name in the "artist" tag of you custom card

cheers

Sure. Here's the finished card (I've always wanted to see a monored Sarkhan):

Looking at it, it looks just like a genuine card... testament to the quality of the art, I'd say. Laughing
Looks nice ;) I would make Sarkhan a big bigger on the picture, though, if that's possible.
Looks nice ;) I would make Sarkhan a big bigger on the picture, though, if that's possible.

Something a little like this?

If I had the know-how, I'd make the top of his head overlap the card border...
Wow, that looks great! Really captures Sarkhan, awesome job! :D
Sign In to post comments