First Impressions?

143 posts / 0 new
Last post
To all of those who got their invite:

How is it running?
Are you happy with the changes they've made?
Is it everything Frothsof said it would be?

Also, feel free to answer questions I didn't ask.
I believe.. they are all playing at the moment :p
To all of those who got their invite:

How is it running?

Few bugs here and there. Revenants, my race of choice, won't import, and I seem to be alone in not being able to import any monsters. I still love it.

Are you happy with the changes they've made?

Two words: chat room

Is it everything Frothsof said it would be?

It's even more! I am so glad to be back.

Also, feel free to answer questions I didn't ask.

Something Im curious about, if there is an open slot and you join just to watch, do you cause issues for the game flow?  Are you considered another player?
Something Im curious about, if there is an open slot and you join just to watch, do you cause issues for the game flow?  Are you considered another player?

You would be taking a slot another player would normally take. So if you wanted to do that, you should clear it beforehand and make sure the DM has one extra slot open for you.

Basically, you can arrange it with the DM beforehand.  They can add another slot to the table for a spectator.  You would have to use one of your passes though to get in.  Sometimes, you will find an open table with 6 slots, and only 4-5 players, and most DMs will let you sit in and watch.  maybe see what is going on, and then bring in a PC and start playing midway through.
"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Called it?  Yep.  And it's everything I had hoped for.  And people thought online CB was a bad strategic move...
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Called it?  Yep.  And it's everything I had hoped for.  And people thought online CB was a bad strategic move...

Yep, you did.  And importing both characters and monsters works great for me, although I couldn't of course test every single monster and character I have.  No bugs spotted so far - even the voice chat toggle works normally for me now when it didn't before.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

having probs with monster import and adventure saving but im sure it will get fixed

playing like 5 games this weekend
Thanks for the replies for those of us on the outside. If Frothsof was the drug addict before hand, I might just be craving a contact high!

it was a fun relaunch, only prob was i wanted danes grotesquely obese bard in on the game

It certainly imports more data than it use to which is helpful, but it has a way to go, while you can import a character you can't then update it and have that reflected in the character builder, so any rewards you get in game just get lost. It's not really what you can call integrated yet, it's about half way there, so its okay for one shots but not so great for using the same character in different adventures.

Voice chat works well, it is easy to set up. Campaign Manager thing is handy. Set up and organisation are probably where WotC VT does better than other products on the market. The actual interface has the basics covered pretty well, but still could do a lot more, certainly this seems to be where they fall behind at the moment. Content is lacking at the moment but I guess that will come with time and when they have an idea on how they are going to price things.
And how about using those general tools for adventure creation and campaign management for those of us who play OFFLINE? Are there any plays for that?
D&D-OUTSIDER Since 3/1/2011
Realistically, the answer is no. It is a tool for playing D&D online, not a map builder for offline printing and use. If they did that, I am sure their tileset sales would plummet. I personally like it the way it is, a place to get together with people you barely know and work together online to destroy some monsters.
my first impression is someone needs to run a game today
my first impression is someone needs to run a game today

Sadly not all of us have that option.
Realistically, the answer is no. It is a tool for playing D&D online, not a map builder for offline printing and use. If they did that, I am sure their tileset sales would plummet. I personally like it the way it is, a place to get together with people you barely know and work together online to destroy some monsters.

That depends entirely on how they set up print--if they set it up to print at 72 or 92 dpi and/or 1/10 scale or smaller, then it could actually drive tileset sale, because people have access to the tile to create a maze for an adventure, but require the actual tiles for it to be accurate and look nice on tabletop.
Well, in that case, if all you want to do is that, then yes, it is more than adequate, assuming you know how to take a screenshot. Fact is, at the moment, and most likely never, is there probably going to be an export tool. Do I work for WotC? No, so I could be proven wrong some time in the future.
I'm just gonna go pro. You know, a professional VT player. I'll just sit at home and play D&D all day long and WoTC will have to pay me for it. Because I'm so good at it and I will melt their faces. And all the DMs know this and want me in their games. Like - I have 200 + customized VT characters - all customized for EXTRA PAIN. A beholder!? Bwha ha ha bring something TOUGH you fool!!! 
Also, I didn't imply (or at least mean to imply) that since the VT is in the state that it is and I am happy with it means that you have to be happy with it as well. Some people like the OCB, others don't. If you don't like the product as is, then that is your perogative. I only offered my opinion on the subject, I wasn't trying to make yours mine.
I'm just gonna go pro. You know, a professional VT player. I'll just sit at home and play D&D all day long and WoTC will have to pay me for it. Because I'm so good at it and I will melt their faces. And all the DMs know this and want me in their games. Like - I have 200 + customized VT characters - all customized for EXTRA PAIN. A beholder!? Bwha ha ha bring something TOUGH you fool!!! 

You heard it here first:  D&D, the next big thing in esports.

It worked for Starcraft.
Trouble here for everyone, in my opinion, is that if they don't make enough people happy with the tools to support ongoing development, all of this will disappear in the blink of an eye.  It's rare that I strongly agree with Dane, but if they don't make the tools just as slick for offline use as for online, I doubt the whole initiative will thrive.  This is, of course, ironic anyway since the game is generally touted as inherently "better" than MMOs since it involves face to face interaction, and thus is more social.

I hope they see the future the same way I do, and refocus after this towards "at table" tools.  As we've discussed here before, this is one of the somewhat unnerving aspects of the move to the cloud - this cloud only exists as long as it's profitable for Wizards/Hasbro to maintain.  At this point, if it gets pulled all we'll have are some semi-functional exports from the CB to local drives.

Also as Dane pointed out, I'm quite happy that you guys are enjoying the VT efforts, in spite of the fact that my face to face Friday night games don't benefit in the least.  I'm hoping the enthusiasm will catch on and spur more successful development for face to face games.
wizards wants to pay me to crush yalls pcs dreams
They can't possibly make them just as slick for offline use, though.  Really, you don't understand how slick the online version is...

And, to be quite honest, none of us who are happy with the VT really care whether it's useful to your face to face game.  Hell, I don't even care whether it's useful to my face to face game.  What I do care about is this whole new wonderful way of playing D&D has arrived.  I got to play with fellow forum posters yesterday.  I don't care how inconvenient you may find taking a screenshot of the VT board is and printing it out.  This new product stands alone, and it stands way higher than the offline CB ever did.

Actually, I'd like to challenge your assertion that this has nothing to offer your offline game.  My group uses the CB to make our characters, but we all...print them out (or save to pdfs for the ipad addicts).  Actual editing of characters in situ has never been relevant.  Is that really what you want?  The only thing that would make you happy?

Hell, I'm actually considering attempting to use the VT as a real-life gaming table.  Put up the feed from my computer on my big-screen TV, load in all the PCs characters into my CB account, and manipulate them all via the VT.  No more awkward maps printed out on a half-dozen taped-together pieces of paper, no more minis falling off my coffee table...

But then again, I have internet access where I play.
Also as Dane pointed out, I'm quite happy that you guys are enjoying the VT efforts, in spite of the fact that my face to face Friday night games don't benefit in the least.  I'm hoping the enthusiasm will catch on and spur more successful development for face to face games.

I've been clamoring for this for quite some time as well.  If the VT is simply left as a true virtual game table, and not offer me any pen and paper campaign functionality, the novelty will wear off for me real quick.  Yeah, I understand there is a market for it.  Great, I get that.  But we've been asking for/told we are going to get a fairly robust suite of utilities.  Even the signs are there.  Why else would the Monster Builder be merely a component (for quite some time now, the only component) of the Adventure Tools?

Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.

They can't possibly make them just as slick for offline use, though.  Really, you don't understand how slick the online version is...

And, to be quite honest, none of us who are happy with the VT really care whether it's useful to your face to face game.  Hell, I don't even care whether it's useful to my face to face game.  What I do care about is this whole new wonderful way of playing D&D has arrived.  I got to play with fellow forum posters yesterday.  I don't care how inconvenient you may find taking a screenshot of the VT board is and printing it out.  This new product stands alone, and it stands way higher than the offline CB ever did.

Then you shouldn't care if we are asking for those things, either.  Please, continue not caring.  But there really is no real good reason to portray disdain for others that are asking for more, nor to gloat that you are getting what you want, or any of those things.

Glad you're happy.  Not all of us are.

Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.

I'd suggest you read my edit.

It worked for Starcraft.

What are esports? Is that like exports, only much better!?!? Or iz this yet another american trick!? Ha ha... I think I will just DM full time. Your americen trixks wil awail you nothing you american fools. I will create a race of atomic super beings that shall concquer ze world. 

Honestly? I don't care whether it's useful for online gaming. there, I said it. I found it all but impossible to use for creating a game as a DM, taking 4 or 5 times as long as a face to face game. In addition, While it was better as a player, it wasn't enough better to make me prefer it over a tabletop game.

If it can't be used for offline gaming, it's use is pretty damn close to nil for me, and a lot of other people. If you are happy with it, good for you, but please, stop discounting the rest of us. Our position should be as important as yours--we pay the same amount for the service as you, so why shouldn't we get the same amount (or even some useful tools?

{edit} I may have responded more violently than intended, given the suggestion in your post that what I and others who don't use online gaming(or PCs at the table) want doesn't matter. Also, I'd like to suggest you not edit your posts in order to sound more reasonable than you were in the original post. It's a classic trolling technique wherein you say something, others respond, and then you change it so your opponents sound unreasonable.
I'd suggest you read my edit.

Yeah, you offered a niche solution, which does nothing for those of us who have a suite of tiles, miniatures, tokens, custom built game tables, and so on.  I know that Dane has custom built/hand painted 3D tiles that he created.  You think he wants to order up a 42" flat screen and get rid of all his 3D tiles?  I don't think so.

But then again, you don't care.

Explain to me how an offline VT would help your suite of tiles, miniatures, and tokens.  Explain to me how DDi itself which has always been computer-centric could work for you.

Make me care.  Give some actual meat behind your complaints instead of whining.  Give suggestions, concrete examples of what you would like to see that would make you happy.  Just sitting there complaining about how the new awesome VT isn't as cool for you as it is for me doesn't help anyone, certainly not you.
the suggestion in your post that what I and others who don't use online gaming(or PCs at the table) want doesn't matter

In a thread about first impressions of a tool with the explicit purpose of online gaming and what we'd like to see it evolve into, I'd definitely say that those who don't use online gaming don't have a relevant voice.

Arrogant?  Sure.  But if you want something that's not online gaming, talk about that.  Don't muck up feedback from people who actually want to use the product.

I'll give a less directly related example.  A company decides it wants to sell 100-ton mining trucks.  The people looking for a commuter vehicle to take their kids to school aren't relevant to the design, and have no business voicing their opinions.
Hmm, jpeg export of maps. monster blocks exportable, or a campaign manager thqat allows you to group monsters, whith the option to export to RTF.

You know, ways to take adventures built in the VT and put them in a format which can be placed in a pdf, or printed out and used IRL.

just sitting there complaining that people don't see how brilliant the VT is doesn't help anyone and just makes you look like a troll.
Explain to me how an offline VT would help your suite of tiles, miniatures, and tokens.

Make me care.  Give some actual meat behind your complaints instead of whining.  Give suggestions, concrete examples of what you would like to see that would make you happy.  Just sitting there complaining about how the new awesome VT isn't as cool for you as it is for me doesn't help anyone, certainly not you.

Whining?  Grow up a bit and have an adult conversation without having to resort to the derogatory comments.  After all, I see you "whining" yourself about those people you call "whiners."

I've offered my suggestions in other threads for months.  But I'll sum it up briefly to appease you.  Adventure Tools.  A campaign management suite, similar in functionality to Masterplan but hooked directly into the Compendium, with D&D stylization and flare (and expertise).  Monster builder, encounter builder, skill challenges, traps, diseases, map editor, to name the most obvious, in a nice neat package that keeps everything organized.

That's the basics of it.  I don't think I need to get into details.  If you don't know the details to what is needed behind a campaign manager, then I doubt you've run many campaigns.

What I do care about is this whole new wonderful way of playing D&D has arrived.  I got to play with fellow forum posters yesterday.

I've been enjoying this wonderful new way to play D&D since August of 2008.  I swear, it's like people don't believe other VTT's exist

Hell, I'm actually considering attempting to use the VT as a real-life gaming table.  Put up the feed from my computer on my big-screen TV, load in all the PCs characters into my CB account, and manipulate them all via the VT.  No more awkward maps printed out on a half-dozen taped-together pieces of paper, no more minis falling off my coffee table...

I recommend it highly - it's an amazingly cool thing to do. A couple years back, I ran that Free RPG Day Eberron one-shot, with the map from my VT displayed on a 40-inch plasma TV. One of my players, at the end, said "That was goddamn fantastic. We finally can do what we talked about doing for all that time."

In a thread about first impressions of a tool with the explicit purpose of online gaming and what we'd like to see it evolve into, I'd definitely say that those who don't use online gaming don't have a relevant voice.

I don't agree with this.

I think that it is important thatthe DDI devs look at all voices. Sure, the focus of the tool is (and should be) on online play. However, if there exists the possibility to, with a minimal amount of extra work (for some definition of minimal amount) for the devs to also add in a feature or two that also make the VT more useful to those who want to use it to plan campaigns, or as a tile layout program, then I think that the devs should at least consider it.

Does it add more time to the development process?? Sure. However, in the long run, the additional features may pull in people who would otherwise not consider subscribing.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Hmm, jpeg export of maps. monster blocks exportable, or a campaign manager thqat allows you to group monsters, whith the option to export to RTF.

You know, ways to take adventures built in the VT and put them in a format which can be placed in a pdf, or printed out and used IRL.

just sitting there complaining that people don't see how brilliant the VT is doesn't help anyone and just makes you look like a troll.

Serious question, how does the printscreen button not do all of these?  edit:  except RTF
After all, I see you "whining" yourself about those people you call "whiners."

Yep.  I am absolutely whining.  Because I'm sick of every thread about anything DDi getting turned into a muckfest about people who are being left behind.  I'm sick of good, constructive threads being derailed by the same tired complaints that are clearly not the direction Wizards has chosen.

I accept that DDi will never please everyone.  Can you?
mud, if were not allowed to save adventures and pcs to our hard drive, why would they ever allow us to do use it that way?
the suggestion in your post that what I and others who don't use online gaming(or PCs at the table) want doesn't matter

Arrogant?  Sure.  But if you want something that's not online gaming, talk about that.  Don't muck up feedback from people who actually want to use the product.

I'll give a less directly related example.  A company decides it wants to sell 100-ton mining trucks.  The people looking for a commuter vehicle to take their kids to school aren't relevant to the design, and have no business voicing their opinions.

All customers, current and potential, have a right to voice their opinions.  Your analogy isn't complete, either.  You forgot the part where the people have been promised that commuter vehicle for years and have been paying for the product and the promise with the expectation of delivery.  They're not pissed about the mining trucks.  They're pissed that they still don't have their commuter vehicle.