The 4e Expansions

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
How would you describe the Famine in Far-Go box for creating a Gamma World style urban setting? Depth, creativity, flexibility? 

I get that Legion of Gold is an "end game" scenario, but how does it feel, what is the mood? Based on the core box this edition sits in strong contrast to the Arhaus/White Wolf edition, but I think the idea of a moon base is exciting and would like to get a better idea of what a setting description for GW 4e reads.

Thanks 
GW keeps the setting very vague.  It's a fast-and-loose kinda game.  If you've enjoyed the game at all, I'd say get the expansions.  They're only a little higher on the setting/adventure content than the 1st book, and have lots of great stuff.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

The Famine in Far-Go set gives you a basic village with a couple dozen locales occupied by NPCs. I actually wish they'd included it in the first set, because that doesn't come with a basic village, just an adventure.

If you're going to run a campaign, you'll need a starting village. I recommend you get all the expansions and use Far-Go from FiFG for that purpose.

When you run Legion of Gold, set LoG in the Far-Go area instead of the Barony of Horn -- the first half of the adventure is set on Earth, in the Horn area.

LoG's second half is set on the moon, and they include a nice moon city for that purpose, detailed about as much as Far-Go. It could make a decent campaign base as well, except that moon creatures usually tend to be higher level than most starting characters.
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
Both sets each offer a new rules mechanic as well.  In Famine In Fargo is is the Cryptic Alliances which each have a card that can be played in game.  You can have everyone be in the same Alliance and share a card where everyone benefits or have them each pull their own randomly where when one person plays there card they may hinder other party members.  In Legion of Gold vocations and feats are added starting at lvl 4.

They each also come with a 16 encounter adventure with much more setup and scenario info than the one in the main set.

The actual setting info is very minimal in both, but there is enough there to build on fairly easily.  I am learning quickly that this game is much more free form, make it up as you go, than most other games.  Which isn't really a bad thing as that style also lets you appropriatly adjust the sillyness factor as well.
The type of games I prefer to run are long running with rich plot and characters. Some more "homebrew" than others, but all with thought. Unfortunately, time, both for me and most of the players, is limited. Which is where these boxed sets come in. I would be comfortable with making things up as I go, but when I do that it rarely works out that things break down into ninety minute blocks, as they seem to do quite well with the published material.

I'm always torn on what to get because I would like to play everything. LOL! It is good to have options, at least.
The type of games I prefer to run are long running with rich plot and characters. Some more "homebrew" than others, but all with thought. Unfortunately, time, both for me and most of the players, is limited. Which is where these boxed sets come in. I would be comfortable with making things up as I go, but when I do that it rarely works out that things break down into ninety minute blocks, as they seem to do quite well with the published material.

I'm always torn on what to get because I would like to play everything. LOL! It is good to have options, at least.

Between the three boxed sets you have a full lvl 1 - 10 campaign comprised of 40 encounters and you can easily change a couple things and base them all out of Fargo.  Personally I plan on using the vehicle rules to add in two chase type encounters and have them travel between the three adventure sites as an interlude between adventures.
The type of games I prefer to run are long running with rich plot and characters. . Unfortunately, time, both for me and most of the players, is limited. Which is where these boxed sets come in.

The expansions don't exactly provide 'rich plot and character,' but they're easy to embelish on the fly.  For what you're trying to do, though, they should be great resources.

Besides, they're probably the only supplements that will be produced for this ed of GW (actually the 7th, if anyone's counting).

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!