Dragon #397 article: Henchmen and Hirelings

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
There's a really nice article that came out today on hiring henchmen and hirelings. Here's a link to the article. (You have to be a DDI subscriber to read it.) As a DM, I've let smaller groups of PCs do things like this already, but it's nice to see some official structure for it. I've only skimmed the article at this point, but I very much like what I see so far.
I am loving it. Going to insert this into our oneshot delve on saturday and see how the mechanics hold up in combat and the like. Very nice to see proper support for it.
Yeah? If you find the time, please come back and let us know how they worked! I'm considering using some of them myself in an eventual game, so I'm very curious how they hold up in actual play.
I'll be working them into my campaigns. In one, they'll be used as fellow students and the like (the group are attending the Royal Academy at Cardiff, there to learn, amongst other things, how to use magic and the sword in conjunction. Competitions abound, both within the school, and between it and other schools. Especially the University of Ombridge.)
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
I love this article. I have formed up 4 different Henchmen for the Dark Sun campaign I am DM'ing (from 4 different roles and walks of life), which I intend to fill missing roles in my 3-players group.
I've been working on CharOping a few henchmen, and what's funny, is the henchmen I've come up with are generally, just as effective as the essentials characters, and in a few narrow cases, actually better.  ;)   (Human Essassin Henchman is pretty beastly.)
I liked the article, but the services of the hirelings seem way too high. Maybe there's been some serious inflation, but I thought a single gp was a lot to most common people to begin with.

15gp for a torch bearer? For a DAY?

45 for a mercenary? Hell, for 45/day, my level 1 fighter will happily hire out and make more in week than his entire adventuring party.
I liked the article, but the services of the hirelings seem way too high. Maybe there's been some serious inflation, but I thought a single gp was a lot to most common people to begin with.

45 for a mercenary? Hell, for 45/day, my level 1 fighter will happily hire out and make more in week than his entire adventuring party.

Torch Bearer: You forget, that's for a level 1 Torch Bearer. I think that by level 5, I'd be willing to simply buy a Floating Lantern.

Mercenary: For a level 1 Mercenary. Yeah... that's just sort of outrageous.

Yeah, that's right up there with some of the ritual costs. 20 gp to make a campsite and forage food in the wilderness. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? For 20 gp, I can get the nicest suite at the nearby inn!
Mortaine, how often do you think you'll randomly stumble across an inn in the middle of the wilderness? How about in a dungeon? That price, at least, is justified.
The high price is likely so that players won't attempt to use their hirelings as trap-finding fodder, decoys, or otherwise treating them as disposable.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Wow, WotC thinks that will stop the players?Laughing
Especially around Epic.

"Hey, this hallway seems trapped. Do we have any of those consumables left?"
"Yeah, we're good for the next five hallways as well."
"Okay, send one in."
"Oi! You! Yeah, the Lv. 1 Torchbearer! We need some light over there!" 
Heroic Dungeon Master
Especially around Epic.

"Okay, send one in."

This.

Laughing
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
"whelp Torchbearer is dead."
"Undead Servant time?"
"yup"
Forum signature? Quick think of something witty ... ... ...
SpacyRicochet, you have won this thread.
I wonder how many level 1 townsfolk are jumping for a chance to shine some light on some guys going toe to toe with a monster that has an Aura that says "All creatures of less then level 20 die gruesomely".
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Especially around Epic.

"Okay, send one in."

This made me laugh. :D
Hells, if I were a level 1 townfolk, I'd want more money to be a torchbearer than a warrior.  You mean my choices are to follow you into dark, goblin-infested den, and I can either armor up and fight by your side, or I can follow with the bright, shiny torch that highlights me as a target for every poison-tipped arrow for miles?  I'll take the sword and shield, please.
Maybe the GP cost factors in the share of the wealth?  So when your find some really nice loot, you don't have to share the wealth with the hireling.  Just a thought.
Hi!

Just found this article and as i'm going to use some hireling/henchmen in my Dark sun campaign, it will be quite helpful!

Did anyone used these rules, specifically to Dark Sun hireling/henchmen, that wants to share them?

Thanks

Is the text identical in the martikainen magical emporium? 

I hired a valet. In the campaign I am in,  we found an old keep full of enemies. After clearing it, we obtained the deed because the region's Lord could not spare the men to keep it secured. However, we have obtained enough wealth to pay the thousands of gold each year to employ staff and gaurds. I think between the 5-6 of us PCs, we pay like 20k a year. However, we are investing in a mine to help shed some of the cost. 

For the valet I hired, I paid her 100gp to be able to move her stuff to the keep. And then also I will be covering her inn expenses as she will be making my warforged presentable. He normally didn't walk around a bloody mess, but now he will get +2 to diplomacy.

Valet
Cost: standard
Skilled valets are indispensible to those moving
through high society because these servants know
how to make you look and act your best when you’re
dealing with the rich and powerful.
Traits
O Etiquette F Aura 3
When dressed in suitable clothing, the controlling hero and
all allies gain a +2 power bonus to Diplomacy checks while in
the aura.
Level 15: +3 power bonus.
Level 25: +4 power bonus.

I have the journal post here:
www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/darkest-...

I am trying out a new format. I mean I normally have his pic on the left, but this time I have the links in and out of the log beneath the picture.

I also run a Darksun game based out of Salt View. I might use this hireling section for the minstrels since part of the rp of Salt View is that the people there tend to be liberated slaves who've become traveling performers. Though I think those players are more interested in hiring miners for the Echoing Mines they just cleared.  

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

Sign In to post comments