VT Beta - Phase 1 invites out

113 posts / 0 new
Last post
THe first phase of the invites to the VT beta have gone out. The email will come from Wizards Customer Support (wizardscusthelp@wizards.com), so make sure that you have that cleared from your spam/junk mail filter.

If you are trying to get to the group and get a message indicating that the group is private, log out of the WotC website (completely, all windows to make sure) and log back in. You should find your group access granted.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
So I'm guessing if we haven't received an invite yet we're not in this phase? Can anyone confirm?
Looks like I didn't get in this round. 
From Josh in another thread:

The script we ran to do the invitations ran into a small number of users where it errored out due to data it didn't like.  You know how scripts can be. 

We're going to go through and manually add all those individuals, but that takes time.  Looks like Dane was one of them.  In the mean time, I've re-added you Dane.  You'll need to request your passes, but otherwise you should be fine. 

I posted in the other thread. I was told I would be invited in the first wave but I haven't received an invite yet.

yeah, didn't make it in.  one of these days wizards will learn to manage expectations... hyping this in the way it was hyped when they were only inviting 4k users may not have been their best strategy.  Now there is a large group who have gotten their hopes up several times and now haven't made it in.  Frankly I don't know that I'll get excited for the second or the third or the fourth wave.  At some point it's either ready to showcase to DDI subscribers or it's not.

Feh.  Guess I'll be playing City of Heroes to night.

(yes I'm bitter.  I was excited.  Now I'm not.  That's not generally a good thing.)

So WotC said it'd be a couple weeks between invite batches? I read something about it at some point but I'm not sure which thread it was.

-Blitz 

yeah, didn't make it in.  one of these days wizards will learn to manage expectations... hyping this in the way it was hyped when they were only inviting 4k users may not have been their best strategy.  Now there is a large group who have gotten their hopes up several times and now haven't made it in.  Frankly I don't know that I'll get excited for the second or the third or the fourth wave.  At some point it's either ready to showcase to DDI subscribers or it's not.

Feh.  Guess I'll be playing City of Heroes to night.

(yes I'm bitter.  I was excited.  Now I'm not.  That's not generally a good thing.)

I'm not really bitter about this. I'm bitter about this, not getting any magazine content until the last minute, and not getting the updated racial stats in the CB. Basically, players haven't got much of anything this month from DDi.
Samrin: I'm bitter about that too.  But I was hoping the VT would even things out.
We've got a VT homepage set up now on the main website, here.

If you're a subscriber but did not get an invite, you'll see some instructions there on what to do to get included in the next batch. 
Quick question, I've already filled that out (awhile back), gotten my confirmation email about being signed up for the beta program, and opted in for communications from WotC- do I need to fill it out again, or will my intitial effort to use the VT stay valid for upcoming invite batches?
Quick question, I've already filled that out (awhile back), gotten my confirmation email about being signed up for the beta program, and opted in for communications from WotC- do I need to fill it out again, or will my intitial effort to use the VT stay valid for upcoming invite batches?

You're supposed to get a confirmation email that you've been signed up?
I posted in the other thread. I was told I would be invited in the first wave but I haven't received an invite yet.

I also did not receive an invite.  I was a tester in the previous round as well and was under the impression we were automatically in this one as well??

EDIT - Thank you WOTC-Josh for the manual add!  Much appreciated.  I don't care what others may say about customer service, but the few times I've ever needed it, it was ALWAYS extremely prompt.  Again, thank you for a prompt add!  Laughing  

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

"At Home, people tend to build characters that they want to play week after week, and watch it grow and evolve.. online, they tend to build weed whackers with a name. Great for whacking weeds, not so great at entertaining guests, or home decor." - Agonar

I also did not receive an invite.  I was a tester in the previous round as well and was under the impression we were automatically in this one as well??

See post #4 in this thread.
I am pretty bitter about this as well.  Do we have any idea about this script and what the parameters were?  It should have searched by senority first, since this VT has been built on their backs...
The invite list was composed of the DDI subscribers who were in the previous beta, plus a random selection of other subscribers who had opted-in to receive communication from us.  We had to separate out those who were not opted in, as we're unable to contact them via email with their invitation.

If you are a subscriber and were not included in the first set of invites, please check out the VT tools page here.  You should see instructions on how to let us know that you'd like to be added, as well as instructions on how to opt-in for communication.
Josh, thanks for keeping us as up-to-date as you can about the invites and the process as a whole.

I do have three questions, if you can/have the authority to answer them:

1) How many new people were added to the VT Beta today?

2) When will the next round of invites go out?

3) How large is that next round likely to be?
Only one of those questions has an answer.  1 - somewhere around four thousand.

As for 2 and 3, we haven't decided yet.  This first round of invites was 50% larger than the entire previous beta phase.  A big part of how soon we do more and how many in each future block are dependant upon me.  As the guy running the beta group, I'm the most likely to get flooded with too many confused people to handle.  We've also got ORCs moderating the group chat feature, and we need to make sure they're able to keep a handle on things as well.

The whole process is no good to anyone if we lose a lot of users because they're not able to get questions answered, or if they just get confused and leave.  On Friday, we're going to do a meeting to discuss how this first group went, and make some decisions on how many and how often going forward.

Thanks for the quick response, Josh. I really appreciate having an idea of what you (as WoTC) know and what you don't know.
The invite list was composed of the DDI subscribers who were in the previous beta, plus a random selection of other subscribers who had opted-in to receive communication from us.  We had to separate out those who were not opted in, as we're unable to contact them via email with their invitation.

If you are a subscriber and were not included in the first set of invites, please check out the VT tools page here.  You should see instructions on how to let us know that you'd like to be added, as well as instructions on how to opt-in for communication.

Hi Josh,

I was one of the people who wasn't re-invited, and i cannot see anything on the website you are linking to that is specific to my situation. There only seems to be a general option to apply for the beta. Are we supposed to re-apply? If we do, will adventures we have saved continue to be connected to our account?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Indeed, thanks for the super-fast help.

So the gist is that for those of us who had already done all that stuff and didn't get in that we're waiting at least another week.  Since WotC has a lousy record estimating time we can be sure that means at least another month.

I need to let you know, Josh, I'm losing faith.  You have 30 years of good will and it's almost used up.

somewhere around four thousand.... This first round of invites was 50% larger than the entire previous beta phase.

Wow. I was one of 2,000? I feel kinda special now!

So the gist is that for those of us who had already done all that stuff and didn't get in that we're waiting at least another week.  Since WotC has a lousy record estimating time we can be sure that means at least another month.

I need to let you know, Josh, I'm losing faith.  You have 30 years of good will and it's almost used up.

What he said.

Don't lose faith.  It is worth the wait.  And they did announce before, that they would be doing the invites in chunks, and nowhere did they imply that all DDi members would be invited in one day.  Chunks mean chunks.  But hang in there.

"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler
I'm one that also did not get an invite, even though I've been a continual DDI subscriber for 2+ years.  Hopefully I'll get in next phase. Laughing
I also didn't get re-invited, but I did notice this morning that someone dowloaded one of my adventure files. Does that mean that we can still export and import adventures? If so, that's good news. I was under the impression it would be removed after the break. 

They have moved adventure and map saving to the cloud. Unfortunately it is not working at the moment. I have not heard if or how adventure sharing might work out side of the ability of wizards to make special events available to everyone.

Don't lose faith.  It is worth the wait.  And they did announce before, that they would be doing the invites in chunks, and nowhere did they imply that all DDi members would be invited in one day.  Chunks mean chunks.  But hang in there.

Yeah...They may not have implied that or said that.  However...when you've been a subscriber since day one of insider waiting for this tool and you don't get in but random other people did its rather disheartening.  Thats the boat I'm in.  If it had been "random long time subscribers" instead of just "random subscribers" it wouldn't be such a let down. 

Add ontop of that Josh's post about when new invites going out would happen and  it gets worse.  They don't know when.  They don't even seem the least bit ready for even the 4kish invites they sent out already.  Nothing at all in any of the communications about this inspires confidence.  It comes across as they didn't even bother to prepare, its just thrown together at the last min, and they're not realy sure if anythings going to work.

This whole process has been disheartening.  From lack of communication to just frankly poor communication things don't seem to be getting better.  And the "how to make sure you're in the next wave" page is something many of us had done quite some time ago.  But we're not supposed to loose faith...

Then give me a good reason not to.  Telling me a product that I may or may not ever get to see is totally awesome is not a good reason at this point.  Thats the only reason I was here after DDI went down hill on content, the tools.  I've been here since launch on the premise of a product that promised to be totally awesome that I may or may not ever see.  I'm looking for a reason to stay...to keep supporting the game and insider to friends... 

I'm not looking for a beta invite at this point (though I'd love one)...but a reason to believe staying all this time has been worth it.  Hell even a preview post from Wotc themselves about the VT  would be great...nice beta screens, talking about features in, features being worked on, future features.  That'd be something at least, instead of having to dig through threads for beta people answering questions.  At least then it'd seem like they have confidence enough in their own product to show it off to us.  That'd be something...
I was a part of the previous beta and didn't get an invite.  I have submitted the beta sign up for this round and verified that I am still opt-in.  All I need to do now is hang tight for an invite.....Correct??

Yeah...They may not have implied that or said that.  However...when you've been a subscriber since day one of insider waiting for this tool and you don't get in but random other people did its rather disheartening.  Thats the boat I'm in.  If it had been "random long time subscribers" instead of just "random subscribers" it wouldn't be such a let down. 

Add ontop of that Josh's post about when new invites going out would happen and  it gets worse.  They don't know when.  They don't even seem the least bit ready for even the 4kish invites they sent out already.  Nothing at all in any of the communications about this inspires confidence.  It comes across as they didn't even bother to prepare, its just thrown together at the last min, and they're not realy sure if anythings going to work.

This whole process has been disheartening.  From lack of communication to just frankly poor communication things don't seem to be getting better.  And the "how to make sure you're in the next wave" page is something many of us had done quite some time ago.  But we're not supposed to loose faith...

Then give me a good reason not to.  Telling me a product that I may or may not ever get to see is totally awesome is not a good reason at this point.  Thats the only reason I was here after DDI went down hill on content, the tools.  I've been here since launch on the premise of a product that promised to be totally awesome that I may or may not ever see.  I'm looking for a reason to stay...to keep supporting the game and insider to friends... 

I'm not looking for a beta invite at this point (though I'd love one)...but a reason to believe staying all this time has been worth it.  Hell even a preview post from Wotc themselves about the VT  would be great...nice beta screens, talking about features in, features being worked on, future features.  That'd be something at least, instead of having to dig through threads for beta people answering questions.  At least then it'd seem like they have confidence enough in their own product to show it off to us.  That'd be something...

+1  -  you said it better

I was a part of the previous beta and didn't get an invite.  I have submitted the beta sign up for this round and verified that I am still opt-in.  All I need to do now is hang tight for an invite.....Correct??

pm josh

pm josh

Will do THANKS!!!
Only one of those questions has an answer.  1 - somewhere around four thousand.

As for 2 and 3, we haven't decided yet.  This first round of invites was 50% larger than the entire previous beta phase.  A big part of how soon we do more and how many in each future block are dependant upon me.  As the guy running the beta group, I'm the most likely to get flooded with too many confused people to handle.  We've also got ORCs moderating the group chat feature, and we need to make sure they're able to keep a handle on things as well.

The whole process is no good to anyone if we lose a lot of users because they're not able to get questions answered, or if they just get confused and leave.  On Friday, we're going to do a meeting to discuss how this first group went, and make some decisions on how many and how often going forward.

How did that meeting go, Josh?  Any word on when we may see more invites?
As of tonight there are 2060 members in the Beta Group
How long should we wait for our invites if we were in the previous beta. I know most of us are being added manually, just wondering.
How long should we wait for our invites if we were in the previous beta. I know most of us are being added manually, just wondering.

you need to pm josh, or perhaps customer service, they had a screw up with the invites and some that were subscribers that were in it last time didnt get invited
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone had found out how the Friday evaluation went and when the next wave of invites was going to go out to subscribers.

Thanks

-Blitz 
Big shock.  A week later, and no word.  
We're mostly being tight-lipped in this case because there's a lot of room for error.  Setting up the invitations involves a lot of people doing a lot of different tasks.  If anything goes wrong, or gets delayed, the entire process can stop.

Our plan, after Friday's meeting, is to do 1-2 sets of invites a week until everyone who we're able to contact, or who has specifically said they want in, has been invited. 
We're mostly being tight-lipped in this case because there's a lot of room for error.  Setting up the invitations involves a lot of people doing a lot of different tasks.  If anything goes wrong, or gets delayed, the entire process can stop.

Our plan, after Friday's meeting, is to do 1-2 sets of invites a week until everyone who we're able to contact, or who has specifically said they want in, has been invited. 

Contact me, I want in!!!! Please

After last Friday's meeting, or an upcoming Friday's meeting?

Are you saying that there will be invites this week?