Is Gamma World Dead?

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looking over the 2011 known release schedule on the forums I don't see any more game suppliments listed.  Is Gamma World dead again already?
I assume it depends on how well the first 3 sets are selling. WotC said they ran the development on a very tight budget, so they were playing it pretty safe. I don't have sales figures, so I can't speak to whether it was a success or not. Hopefully it was. The company has said they've been doing a fair amount of reorganzing and rescheduling/dropping product, so who knows if/when new offical content will arrive.

More importantly, you can't kill an idea. There's no off-switch to a tabletop game.
Putting almost no setting info in the core set kinda gimped it out of the gate.  The rules constantly refer to events like the Big Mistake without ever telling you what happened.
Looking over the 2011 known release schedule on the forums I don't see any more game suppliments listed.  Is Gamma World dead again already?

WotC's stated intent was to have just the three box sets. fwiw: three products has been their stated intent for other settings too (Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Dark Sun, etc.), which they've pretty much stuck to. I wouldn't neccesarily call those settings 'dead' though.

WotC's stated intent was to have just the three box sets. fwiw: three products has been their stated intent for other settings too (Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Dark Sun, etc.), which they've pretty much stuck to. I wouldn't neccesarily call those settings 'dead' though.

No, but those settings at least contained setting info.

You get the joy of creating your own twisted reality!
Is quantum existence failure not enough explanation to do whatever you want? They're expecting you to fill in the details for your own group.
Putting almost no setting info in the core set kinda gimped it out of the gate.  The rules constantly refer to events like the Big Mistake without ever telling you what happened.

There's plenty of "setting" in the core set -- there's as much as you need. I can't conceive of anyone citing this as the reason behind a purported "failure" of Gamma World.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.

Sounds like you've already got your own mind made up about Gamma World's "death."

What did you think of the Sooner Dead novel, by the way?

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
so far i got to play gamma world 1 time, i like 4e better but gamma world is a very good product

that said, we like to customize and build our own character  so it kind of takes away 1/2 the game for most people and i will not abandon knights mages and dragons for cars, mutents and guns 

Sounds like you've already got your own mind made up about Gamma World's "death."

What did you think of the Sooner Dead novel, by the way?

If I want to read I will pick up some Phillip K Dick, I'm trying to play a game.  I have a feeling that when I get banned from these forums it will involve you somehow.

If I want to read I will pick up some Phillip K Dick, I'm trying to play a game.

The Gamma World novels, in theory, should be satisfying your desire for "setting information" though. What about them doesn't fit that need? I'm confused. The books are 100% fluff, 0% crunch.

I have a feeling that when I get banned from these forums it will involve you somehow.

Excuse me?
The original Gamma World products had about as much setting info in them. It was only the campaign stuff included in them (like the Pitz Burke and Allegheny County stuff), but that's analagous enough to the adventure stuff from the core, Far-Go, and Legion of Gold books. I think the only thing they had over what the current edition has is a map of the United States and Canada, with names of major cities "Gamma-ized". 

The emphasis for the game seems (to me) to be for gamesmasters and players to develop their own setting info... especially to develop where they live as their setting. There was even a Dragon article (written by a friend of mine) that gives a system for "Gamma-izing" where you live. 
I have a feeling that when I get banned from these forums it will involve you somehow.

Excuse me?

Just another berk looking for flaming, ignore or block him.

lol trust me, you're not the only one, or the first person to be sick of the condescending and self-important way that Oraibi talks on these forums. Because nobody's allowed to have an opinion different than his. Trust me Congzilla, you are in very good company. But I am definately not going to get into this again.

lol trust me, you're not the only one, or the first person to be sick of the condescending and self-important way that Oraibi talks on these forums. Because nobody's allowed to have an opinion different than his. Trust me Congzilla, you are in very good company. But I am definately not going to get into this again.

I don't have any idea where you are getting this stuff from, because I don't act like how you're describing me at all. Perhaps you've got me confused with another poster?

So true, I tell you, last week, Oraibi kicked my dog. 
The original Gamma World products had about as much setting info in them. It was only the campaign stuff included in them (like the Pitz Burke and Allegheny County stuff), but that's analagous enough to the adventure stuff from the core, Far-Go, and Legion of Gold books. I think the only thing they had over what the current edition has is a map of the United States and Canada, with names of major cities "Gamma-ized". 

The emphasis for the game seems (to me) to be for gamesmasters and players to develop their own setting info... especially to develop where they live as their setting. There was even a Dragon article (written by a friend of mine) that gives a system for "Gamma-izing" where you live. 

I can appriciate that.  Honestly I was more looking for backstory than this city is here and that city is there stuff.  The main book doesn't even tell you what the "Big Mistake" was but it references it several times.  I guess I will have to renew my Insider sub to see how to Gamma up the names of the cities in the Tampa Bay area.

I can appriciate that.  Honestly I was more looking for backstory than this city is here and that city is there stuff.  The main book doesn't even tell you what the "Big Mistake" was but it references it several times.  I guess I will have to renew my Insider sub to see how to Gamma up the names of the cities in the Tampa Bay area.

Eh? The main book tells you exactly what the Big Mistake was, and what caused it.

Eh? The main book tells you exactly what the Big Mistake was, and what caused it.

Well then I will re-read it tonight.  The main book has stuff scattered everywhere.

Try page 4.

Well then I will re-read it tonight.  The main book has stuff scattered everywhere.

Here's a helpful index:

boldpueblo.com/dazed/2011/01/dd-gamma-wo...

Look under "setting background" for what you're looking for.

Trust me Congzilla, you are in very good company.

This must certainly be a joke... Oraibi is easily one of the nicest posters I've seen on these forums. Sincerely: thank you Oraibi for being you

Fortunately, that specific article is free, so no need for an insider subscription to get it.

www.wizards.com/dnd/files/185_GammaTerra...

Although it's more about how to develop the town or area you're in... what happened to it during the Big Mistake, who lives there now and what it's used for (trading post, ruin, etc), what has influence over the area (overt and covert), etc. He goes through converting his own hometown to show the process, and renames it as well, but I don't think that there's any hard-and-fast rules for renaming. If you want examples, try to find a copy of the map of North America that came with the 2nd or 3rd edition boxed sets. Unfortunately, that seems to be one of the harder maps to find on the web. The 4th edition (not 4e, but the 4th edition of the game, this is the 7th edition we're playing) had a very similar map, but I think the 2nd/3rd edition one had more details and more cities.

In a pinch, just think about a sign with the name of the city or town on it, and think about what could happen to that sign if the area was devastated... part of the sign destroyed, so that the name is truncated (like "Freesboro" from the Game Day module is "Murfreesboro, TN"), or letters worn off, or gone altogether and people only have old pronunciations or nicknames to work from (Atlanta is named "Hotlanta" in my game... but now for being radioactively "hot").
Is Gamma World dead again already?

Like the tooth fairy and Santa Claus, Gamma World is dead only if we stop believing.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Is Gamma World dead again already?

Like the tooth fairy and Santa Claus, Gamma World is dead only if we stop believing.

Oh no -- Do you mean I will have to be Gamma World for my kids?  Sorry, but I have to draw the line somewhere.....  ;)
I think that saying "Gamma World is dead" is a lot like screaming "the sky is falling", but I do have to agree somewhat with the feeling behind the original post. Clearly, WotC had a master plan in place which included rapid release of a core rules set and two supplements and then nothing.

While "dead" is harsh, "unsupported" is probably appropriate.

I suspect that the problem is/was that GW is more of a "fringe game" and never really a core product. This was TSR's approach in the 1980's and remains true today. And they are probably right. There are a few die-hard fans who would buy everything but not so many casual gamers who play this style of game. Of course, by not supporting GW WotC sort of follows the "self fulfillling prophecy" whereby no one buys product that isn't being sold.

I can say for myself that I've been buying the game (and own most of the GW products since 1980) but don't play it much. My gaming group just isn't "into" the theme and is turned off by the gonzo style which is expected from Gamma World.

Just my two cents.
Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playtesting D&D Next and liking it! OD&D player since 1975
Clearly, WotC had a master plan in place which included rapid release of a core rules set and two supplements and then nothing.

A perfectly reasonable plan.

And we got more supplement book material than The Realms or Eberron -- we got three books instead of two! :D

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
And this sits well with WotC's recent shift to a much less prolific publishing plan.

(Seriously, are you guys describing someone other than Oraibi?  I would ordinarily assume you were confusing another poster with the same avatar, but only Oraibi uses that one, to my knowledge.) 
And this sits well with WotC's recent shift to a much less prolific publishing plan.

(Seriously, are you guys describing someone other than Oraibi?  I would ordinarily assume you were confusing another poster with the same avatar, but only Oraibi uses that one, to my knowledge.) 

I certainly wasn't confused in who I was talking about.

Sigh...

Okay.  We get it.  You have a problem with someone on the forums. You have your reasons. But you're a member of this board's community now, and you don't elevate the community by airing personal grievances in this manner. And making a statement about your future banning makes it sound like you don't even want to try to get along.

Since I don't like to make those kinds of assumptions about people I don't know, I'm going to assume that you *do* want to get along here on the boards and your goal in being here is to share your interest and passion for gaming.  Whatever issues you have with other posters are usually best resolved by:

1. Sending them a polite private message acknowledging that you feel slighted by them and explaining why you felt that way.  If you do this in a non-aggressive tone, many times the other person will explain their side of things, and you find that what you were upset about was a misunderstanding. Worst case scenario, you've made sure they understand that you felt disrespected, and why. You really have nothing to lose by doing this.

or, 2.  Taking the high road and focussing on being a positive contributer to the board, ignoring posts by the person you don't like as often as possible.

I'm not trying to attack you or make you feel bad.  Just please think about it, that's all I'm asking.

My apologies for being a rules lawyer, but that interpretation actually conflicts with the Gamma World forum FAQ, which (if desired) states:
"Is Oraibi awesome? Yes. He She is also a pretty nice poster guy*."

* errata'd
If I want to read I will pick up some Phillip K Dick

An excellent author indeed (one still wants to avoid running afoul of Wheaton's Law though).
My apologies for being a rules lawyer, but that interpretation actually conflicts with the Gamma World forum FAQ, which (if desired) states:
"Is Oraibi awesome? Yes. She is also a pretty nice poster."

As a member of both the Oraibi Fan Club and NAAFG (National Association for the Appreciation of Female Gamers), I felt compelled to correct you... because, dammit, the world needs to know that female gamers are real!

As I understood the situation, Gamma World's revival under the 4e ruleset was basically a fan project from the start; it just so happened that the fans responsible were WotC employees who were able to finagle some funding from the company for a side project. So we're lucky to have a few (mostly) professionally-produced products here, around which the fan community at large has been able to rally and build upon here on this forum.

Personally, I like it this way. The only thing I could ask for from WotC is more Gamma-appropriate maps & tiles and maybe a Gamma monsters miniatures set. (I would be particularly likely to purchase a set containing a Yexil, a pistol-packin' Orlen, and a Glow Dragon, all of which are difficult to replicate with standard fantasy minis.)

Encounter packs of Gren, Gallus Gallus, Porkers - both on and off bikes - and maybe Hoops would also be nice to have. What's that? Pah. A guy can dream, can't he?
Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL

Personally, I like it this way. The only thing I could ask for from WotC is more Gamma-appropriate maps & tiles and maybe a Gamma monsters miniatures set. (I would be particularly likely to purchase a set containing a Yexil, a pistol-packin' Orlen, and a Glow Dragon, all of which are difficult to replicate with standard fantasy minis.)

Encounter packs of Gren, Gallus Gallus, Porkers - both on and off bikes - and maybe Hoops would also be nice to have. What's that? Pah. A guy can dream, can't he?

Yeah, those would be nice, but given that they're not even making D&D minis anymore, we both know this ain't gonna happen.

Gamma world isn't dead because fan-made material is still going to be coming out. But I'm 99% sure that WotC won't be releasing any new material. If you look at how much they've cut back on their D&D material you'd be compelled to agree as well.
Isn't the "big mistake" the whole LHC thing that happens in 2012?

In any case, I went into Gamma World knowing it was fluff light, I think the amount of material is perfect.  It's a great diversion from our normal D&D sessions
Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
Isn't the "big mistake" the whole LHC thing that happens in 2012?

Yep.  High energy experiments for an unknown purpose cause innumerable worldlines to collapse on one another.  The result was a lot of civilizations (both familiar and unfamiliar) suddenly very angry, and a barrage of nuclear/photonic/superscience/phlebotinum material.  Our own worldline is uncommon in that we shot down the Gray Emissary, and we are dominated neither by machines nor by advanced photonic humans.

a Yexil, a pistol-packin' Orlen, and a Glow Dragon, all of which are difficult to replicate with standard fantasy minis.)

If you head over to the Miniature Proxies thread, you should find some suitable minis to use. The only ones I've had difficulty with, myself, have been Hoops, but I'm working on that.

If you head over to the Miniature Proxies thread, you should find some suitable minis to use.

fwiw: I've been keeping the miniature proxy list in the forum FAQ updated, but not so much in the proxy thread.

Yeah, that's true. Thanks for the reminder.

Still, there are a lot of pictoral references and other details in the Proxies thread, so check it out anyway.

If you head over to the Miniature Proxies thread, you should find some suitable minis to use. The only ones I've had difficulty with, myself, have been Hoops, but I'm working on that.

I've been following that thread, and there are some great options there. But the best substitutes for the iconic monsters often seem to involve skilled modding. I'd really like to have a few of these without having to learn how to sculpt in miniature... Not that it wouldn't be fun to make some myself, but I'm lazy, haha.

Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL