03/22/2011 SF: "Deck Swap"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Deck-swapping is great.
It reverses the usual order of things, in that one knows exactly what one is up against, but has no idea how the current deck works and sometimes even what's in it.
You don't know what "fair" is if you think that giving each player the same advantage isn't "fair".  Everyone should know their own decks; it's exploring the other deck that's fun about this kind of thing.  It's a great idea, but that one little nit-picky line rubbed me wrong.
Deck swapping is fun. Also, there are some cards that I normally just wouldn't use, but my friends love for some reason. Sometimes, when you deck swap, you can learn what those reasons are just by being "forced" to play with the card.

As far as the next fun deck, I have two words: Knowledge. Pool. 

This card is so much fun that we came up with our own little format at my house: Confusion in the Pool. You begin the game with a Knowledge Pool and a Confusion in the Ranks in play. It's hysterically frustrating and truly confusing. BUT, it's still fun.
You don't know what "fair" is if you think that giving each player the same advantage isn't "fair".  Everyone should know their own decks; it's exploring the other deck that's fun about this kind of thing.  It's a great idea, but that one little nit-picky line rubbed me wrong.

Deckbuilding doesn't give everybody "the same advantage." The advantage it gives the average player, the new guy, the guy with a playset of the entire Standard environment and the guy who plays whatever won the last Pro Tour are not exactly equal.
For a fun deck to try out, I usually go for interesting and inexpensive rares to build around:

Stonehewer Giant fits that theme and has become a pet deck of mine.  It can have multiple variations, since the core is pretty simple.  The rest is just your basic white control deck that has enough creatures to make even an early equipment never a dead card.  The addition of Squadron Hawk is a recent find that ensures I always have some bodies around for misc equipment.  Brass Squire is also a fun new addition.  This is what it looks like in its current form.  It may not use 4x each card, but it uses similar cards.  This way it adds a bit of variety to the games without being totally random.

Hey deck swapping is fun. It helps new and old players all the same and I love playing with other decks than mine because I had play my decks so many times over the years.

For a fun deck........ I was thinking last night about masticores, eon hub and tezz. Playing all the masticores without drawback looks fun. playing multi masticores is very fun.

Quest for Ula's Temple is a fun card.. I have been trying to get cards so I can make it standrad.
I would try to manuever at least one Lorthos, The Tidemaker in there and bump up the Deep Sea Kraken by 1 and take down Stormtide Leviathan by 2.
Geek Lifestyle Blog: Watch Play Read Twitter