03/29/2011 LI: "To Blast, or Not to Blast?"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

If my deck only has one or two creatures that can block flying then I would probably use the spell.  However, I would wait until my opponent attacks with it before I do.  It would be best to hit it as the opponent is playing the pump spell instead of before.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
High five for "Save a kill spell to deal with this guy."
If my deck only has one or two creatures that can block flying then I would probably use the spell.  However, I would wait until my opponent attacks with it before I do.  It would be best to hit it as the opponent is playing the pump spell instead of before.

Why would your opponent use a pump spell?  If you need to kill a creature with removal that does damage (and in some situations with other types) you do it when your opponent is tapped out.  When I play a 2/2 that I know my opponent will probably kill I'm hoping they try to wait for my turn so that I can sneak in more damage.

As for the article, I think that using the plague stinger example is slightly unfair.  Unless I have some way to deal with flyers in hand (and by that I mean a removal spell that kills flyers, infect is too good at dealing with any single blocker you can play) I am going to kill the flying infect critter.  I feel a better example would have been ichorclaw myr where where it becomes a question of whether you want to try to block the creature or use removal on it.  There are too many times in scars block where a deck just loses because they can't deal with a flyer.
I'm with SamLL. Whoever in the web team added that caption gets my kudos
Sign In to post comments