Complied Issues PDF - just spoke to WOTC

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just called wotc (800) 324-6496 and asked them why they had stopped compiling the issuse of Dungeon and Dragon in a single pdf. This had really puzzled me because All the components for a full compiled issue are there - including the cover art. Assuming that the templates are already around, it should take little to no work to compile the issue into a single pdf.

The lady that I spoke with told me that they had made the decision because they found that people weren't using the compiled issue and were just downloading the individual articles.

Is this true? I'd like to hear back from you if you enjoy the compiled pdf.

If you don't download the compiled pdf but only download the individual issues, I'd like to hear whether you think that removing the compiled issue download as an option was a good idea.

Personally I like to read the issues on my ipad. It's a pain to download 10-15 separate pdfs per issue, and it just makes managing the issues much easier when it's a single file.

I just called wotc (800) 324-6496 and asked them why they had stopped compiling the issuse of Dungeon and Dragon in a single pdf. This had really puzzled me because All the components for a full compiled issue are there - including the cover art. Assuming that the templates are already around, it should take little to no work to compile the issue into a single pdf.

The lady that I spoke with told me that they had made the decision because they found that people weren't using the compiled issue and were just downloading the individual articles.

Is this true? I'd like to hear back from you if you enjoy the compiled pdf.

If you don't download the compiled pdf but only download the individual issues, I'd like to hear whether you think that removing the compiled issue download as an option was a good idea.

Personally I like to read the issues on my ipad. It's a pain to download 10-15 separate pdfs per issue, and it just makes managing the issues much easier when it's a single file.

We have gone over this over and over...

Not a single person on the forum is against compiled PDFs. It was a WotC decision based on what many consider faulty information. People would access the individual articles many times, then later download the compiled PDF one time. WotC said if there was enough of an uproar on the web they would re-instate the compilations. We called their bluff, they haven't done it. Yet another lie from WotC...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
I'm guess people have tried calling too and spoken to somebody in person? The phone number is in my original post
I'm guess people have tried calling too and spoken to somebody in person? The phone number is in my original post

They told us to bug them on the forums, twitter, facebook or whatever if we wanted them back. There are 2 massive threads on wanting them back, and im sure twitter and facebook are full of Compiliation wanting people too.

They've responded to us with silence.
What is funny is that one of the editorials for this week mentioned the "gnome effect", which is where even if a small percentage of people would be unsatisfied by leaving gnomes out, one should include them since it disenfranchises a large amount of players.

So, should they not include compilations based on the gnome effect?
It's slightly different, you see you get rid of gnomes and that annoys one player and they pass that annoyance on to the group, but they continue to play D&D.

You get rid of compliations and that annoys one subscriber, who in my case stops subscribing, and stops running D&D for the whole group. 

See the difference there?
Plus, there's a huge difference between choosing to leave something out that you haven't yet put in, and taking something away that you already have.

Failure to add new content irritates.  Removal of existing support... that's a step beyond.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Just adding my post to the "This is dumb, WotC.  Bring back full-issue PDF's" so they don't think there "aren't enough people who want it."

Bring back full-issue PDF's.
Well personally I'm pretty convinced that the reason for the removal of the compiled pdfs had nothing to do with demand for them and everything to do with wotc realizing that they would soon have issues with blank pages because the articles were never written. Rather than compiling a pdf where half the pages just say IOU, they decided to pull the compiled pdfs witht he cover story that it was to better serve the customers. So yes, you all (and me) as the customers are ultimately to blame for the removal of the compiled pdfs apparently.
this is the second dumbest idea since the removal of the offline character builder.
C'mon Wizards, give us the complete pdf back, damit!

this is the second dumbest idea since the removal of the offline character builder.

They don't even need to edit it or anything. I want a single searchable document that I can download ONCE, and then look at and search in.

When told X is in issue Y I want to go to issue Y in the folder I keep the magazine PDFs in, search for a keyword, and find the item or power or feat.

Wizards doesn't seem to want me to be able to do this.

I hardly ever read individual articles, I waited for the compilation which had any fixes in and read any final versions that interested me. When are the final fixes in now? Beats me. I've read maybe 3 new articles since they stopped the compilation. Right now the compendium is the ONLY value I'm getting from my subscription, and it isn't worth it, there is NO CHANCE that I will renew if they remain on course. Nor will I check back regularly, I'll finish out my current campaign with the support I've received, and then run a new game of something else.

I stopped playing D&D and didn't buy ANYTHING from TSR from 1981 or so till 3.0 came out. I can play something else for a few more decades till they get sane again. There are plenty of systems in the world or I can write my own.

Don't worry WotC, only two of my regular players actually buy their own rulebooks. It won't cost you more than $300 or so in sales per year when I switch out.

They don't even need to edit it or anything. I want a single searchable document that I can download ONCE, and then look at and search in.

When told X is in issue Y I want to go to issue Y in the folder I keep the magazine PDFs in, search for a keyword, and find the item or power or feat.

Wizards doesn't seem to want me to be able to do this.

I hardly ever read individual articles, I waited for the compilation which had any fixes in and read any final versions that interested me. When are the final fixes in now? Beats me. I've read maybe 3 new articles since they stopped the compilation. Right now the compendium is the ONLY value I'm getting from my subscription, and it isn't worth it, there is NO CHANCE that I will renew if they remain on course. Nor will I check back regularly, I'll finish out my current campaign with the support I've received, and then run a new game of something else.

I stopped playing D&D and didn't buy ANYTHING from TSR from 1981 or so till 3.0 came out. I can play something else for a few more decades till they get sane again. There are plenty of systems in the world or I can write my own.

Don't worry WotC, only two of my regular players actually buy their own rulebooks. It won't cost you more than $300 or so in sales per year when I switch out.

Doug, there are many who agree with you. Removing the compiled PDFs is one of the dumbest things that WotC has done and they obviously are not listening to their customers.

Please call them to let them know: (800) 324-6496
The last time I saw a game being so poorly managed and supported with a long series of changes that directly countered customer desires in their forums, it was Star Wars Galaxies.  They eventually piss off enough people and the game and support crumbles to nothing. 

Bravo to setting up forums so you can ignore your consumer's posts.
Ditto to all of the above. I only read the Dungeon and Dragon articles on my iPad offline. When I'm online on my computer I am too busy doing work, writing emails, playing games (if I'm lucky) or the like, but interesting content I can read when relaxing offline is a godsend.

This really is the final straw, I'm not going to juggle a dozen or more individual files onto my iPad each month. I've already told them I'm cancelling my subscription and requesting a refund at the end of April if they haven't to returned to creating compiled PDFs by then.

Just to highlight how completely ludicrous this decision was, it appears there is still one way to get a compiled download of each Dragon magazine and that is to download it online for free. I haven't actually tried it but if it is true then way to make the free pirated version superior to the expensive official version!

We have gone over this over and over...

Not a single person on the forum is against compiled PDFs. It was a WotC decision based on what many consider faulty information. People would access the individual articles many times, then later download the compiled PDF one time. WotC said if there was enough of an uproar on the web they would re-instate the compilations. We called their bluff, they haven't done it. Yet another lie from WotC...

Actually there seem to be a lot of people against the compiled pdf... check out This thread
Just adding my voice to those who want the compiled PDF back. In fact, I was perhaps one of the few that rarely read the articles as they appeared, and instead waited until the end of the month when everything was compiled and read it all together.

Actually there seem to be a lot of people against the compiled pdf... check out This thread

That's incorrect.  No one in that discussion stated that they did not want the compiled pdf.  One person had a Dog in the Manger reaction to the users who where subscibing for one month to download the backlog of compiled issues, but even he said he preferred the compiled issues.
"Man is made God's plaything, and that is the best part of him. Therefore every man and woman should live life accordingly, and play the noblest games... Life must be lived as play, playing certain games, making sacrifices, singing and dancing..." Plato, The Laws.
Unfortunately I had already cancelled my subscription renewing because of them taking away the CB, so I couldn't cancel auto-rebill a second time upon the announcement of no more magazines (for me a magazine is a single piece, a loose-leaf collection is not a magazine)
Just adding my post to the "This is dumb, WotC.  Bring back full-issue PDF's" so they don't think there "aren't enough people who want it."

Bring back full-issue PDF's.

+1
I'll add my +1 to this thread as well. I've been a strong advocate of the compiled PDFs from the beginning (in the initial transistion from paper, there was a comittment to compiled pdfs, but it took a while for it to actually happen - and I commented on the thread then as well). I waited until this was in place until I subscribed as, for me, DDI is primarily a replacement for my previous paper subscriptions.

I too read the pdfs on my iPad and, like I did with the printed subscription before it, I tend to let them pile up and then go through them in a batch. It was a big dissappointment when I just logged on and couldn't find the compilations to download and instead searched around and found these threads. For me, the primary value proposition of DDI was the ability to easily download the magazines and read them off-line. I tried downloading the individual articles, but not only is it dozens of clicks to get the files downloaded, it takes extra effort to make sure I got everything (and then going through the same motions to upload them to my iPad). With the current model, I'm not sure why they even try to maintain the facade of individual "magazines" or issues. If there's no compilation, I'm not sure how that adds any value over a stream of articles.

It certianly is possible that WotC doesn't see the ROI on the magazine only subscribers (or perhaps it is a small portion of their overall DDI customer base), but I'm not sure I see any value in the service for me without this.

-- Dave
I've never used the compiled version, since I refer to articles by subject, not by date published. Compilation issues saved time downloading, but cost time every time I tried to refer to one article, and that happened more often than downloading.

So I don't miss them at all. Similaraly, I don't pay much attention to the Dungeon/Dragon distinction. 
I too would like full article PDFs back.
I am pritty sure we have unfortunatly seen the last of the compiled issues. WoC have said they would reintroduce them if people complained? Well, we have been complaining since it happened. I have a not to brilliant connection, and i would rather download one magazine than six articles at a time. On top of that, filing, finding what i want, it's so much more hassle.
I used to visit this site regularly, once a month, get the magazines, update the offline character builder and use all of the information regularly with my group.
Now - online character builder, it simply doesn't work with my PC (it's over 2 years old folks!), and even when it does it's useless. The magazines are non-existant, just articles that i have to spend an hour sorting and downloading, instead of just clicking and returning to once it's done.
I find myself visiting once every few months now, and useing less and less of the site.
WoC if you want to make a few more fans, return these features please.
Count this as +1 from me and my group,  
It was posted in another thread, by Steve I believe it was, that they will not be returning to compiled magazines any time in the foreseeable future.

EDIT: Here it is...
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Don't believe everything you think Ranger.jpg
It was posted in another thread, by Steve I believe it was, that they will not be returning to compiled magazines any time in the foreseeable future.

EDIT: Here it is...
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Thanks fcjamison, at least I know where the issue stands now, though to be honest, since people are still going to pirate the individual articles and compile them, still unsure to how this makes any sence at all in a business sence. The only advantage i can see is they can say 'our subscribers now stay on our site for an hour and do 20 downloads, instead of they stay for five mins and download one thing'. It's the same data, just far slower and more awkard. Surely the opposite of what the internet was designed for.
I do think it's a shame Wizards did listen to the general greviences but decided to dismiss them almost out of hand. I would prefer a compiled copy, but then i would also prefer the option to buy a print copy as well, so maybe I am old fashioned. It just strikes me that is several other popular and classic magazines can still do so, and sell well, Dragon and Dungeon are just becoming more of a frustration and less of a good read.

I have been collecting Dragon and Dungeon magazine since Dragon was in double digits, and feel a strong loyalty to the product. However I have considered ending my subscription over this, and over various other issues with WoC's handling of this online service which still has not delivered even the basics promiced over two years ago. I admit, I do like the writing (which is still first class, if a lot less than what ever was there before), I do enjoy the product, but is it worth this continued hassle, the constant thining down, the delays and the promices that keep getting ignored or denied?

I will have to think hard on that one. Thank you for putting this matter at least to rest in my mind. 
If the compiled issues aren't going to return it would be good to have a zip file containing all the articles so only one download is necessary. I agree with other posters who say they look at the issues archive less and less.
WotC,

PLEASE! Bring back the compiled issues. It is easier to reference items when you just have to pull an entire issue, rather than looking for a specific article. 
Thats actualy quite pissing me off I always downloaded the pdf's to carry on my tablet

Roll Player and GM since 1986  Calgary Canada

I'm yet another ipad user who wants compiled issues back.

Right now, all WotC has is a /blog/. If you don't compile it, it's not a magazine (Definition: a periodical publication containing articles and illustrations, typically covering a particular subject or area of interest a car magazine a women's magazine).

Give us the magazines back, please. Or create a proper (FREE) ipad app that makes single articles not suck for your subscribers. Hell, be extra nice and if you go the app route make sure that you have android and other versions of it for those people who haven't signed on to the Mac-cult like me.
I'm also an iPod user who wants the compiled issues back.  Having a ton of articles all over the place is annoyingly difficult for me to manage.
Just have to give my two cents to this issue, even if its dead or a done deal by WotC. I work with InDesign every day. All of these PDFs that I have had to download individually are created in InDesign; specifically from CS4.

There is absolutely no effort to taking the individual article files which are published as PDFs, and compiling them as one book. It takes perhaps a few minutes to run this part of the program.

As far as people downloading individual parts of the "magazine," since different article become available over a space of time, how else could we proceed, but to get parts at first and then download the compiled issue?

As a gamer that has collected Dragon since issue 36 (admittedly with a few gaps), I can't say enough how disappointing this attitude is to me. I guess it shouldn't be much of a surprise, though, since they stopped producing a print magazine.

Sad to see how WotC, or should we say Hasbro, is slowly whittling away at our hobby.

Powers that Be at Wizards of the Coast: compile the dad-gummed issue already, and stop being [expletive deleted] jerks.
For me, the lack of compiled pdf's is yet another feature of my DDI subsciption that was important to me that Wizards has decided to remove.  Every year I see fewer reasons to maintain my sub......
My turn to pile on, I need those compiled PDFs.

I spend lots of time reading offline commuting/flying here and there and its painful to collect the individual files
I agree. Real dumb. If they were compilied, I wouldn't have just paid $10 to see samurai stuff, but OMFG guess what, The specific ******F***ING article link is broken. 
I agree. Real dumb. If they were compilied, I wouldn't have just paid $10 to see samurai stuff, but OMFG guess what, The specific ******F***ING article link is broken. 

No; no it's not.  The article isn't up yet.  Chill.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

So if they were complied wouldn't they all go up at the same time?
Nope, even when they were compiling things articles still came out through out the month. The compilation just put all the articles into a single file at the end of the month along with erratta.
I took a break in my subscription due to various real world concerns. Now I have returned and I can't easily catch up on my back issues.

My vote is for compiled Dungeon and Dragon Mags.
I took a break in my subscription due to various real world concerns. Now I have returned and I can't easily catch up on my back issues.

My vote is for compiled Dungeon and Dragon Mags.

Yeah, I've been a constant supporter and subscriber since D&D:I started, but I tend to download the magazines in "bursts", when I get time. Last time I did it was a year ago.  Now instead of 24 tedious downloads to get a years worth of the two magazines, I'd have to download 24*10 (240) articles!!! This is crazy and insane! I pay $75 a year for this? =/
Yeah, coming back to DDI after a yearbreak and finding this has me more than peeved. DDI was supposed to make things easier and give us choices in how we ran our games, instead it's WOTC's way and that's it. It is hard to believe these people actually USE thier own products.
Bump for compiled issues.  They could even make a buck or two by selling them on the iPad through the newsstand app.  Everyone is reading this stuff in PDFs on their iPad anyways...
Sign In to post comments