MTGO Q1 Development Update Posted

117 posts / 0 new
Last post
The MTGO Q1 Development Update is now posted. Enjoy!
So closed beta for new client will begin between May 16th and June 30th.
4. Don't speak dumb, or you'll be struck dumb. Remember, the name of the game is heads I win, tails you lose.
"To reassure folks that we aren't restricting everyone to a brown based theme this time around, here are examples the 2 player duel scene and login screen skinned in the Nicol Bolas and Jace Beleren themes."

But then the Jace Beleren scene is still muddy brown and black everywhere except a rather timid blue playmat?

Hoping for a little less 1999 Geocities look, and a little more Web 2.0 vibe.
I feel like infrastructure update part is very vague, saying nothing. and leagues being behind infra is scary
Woo hoo! Great news, and on time! The shots of the new client look quite impressive! And best of all:

Multiplayer Support – Phase 1 scheduled for Q2 2011
Leagues - Design being updated to take advantage of new infrastructure and features. In the project queue behind the digital object storage and collation updates.

Love for MP and Leagues! 

*plops a case of Perrier Jouet NV Grand Brut on the table for the WotC crew* 

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

I'm happy they moved chat back down to bottom of the screen.  Now people might actually talk more during matches.
So is there going to be an application for the closed beta? Or is it going to be invite only?
Blippy I gotta say, sometimes your posts are pretty scathing (obv not this one), but I truly enjoy every one of them.

I even have one of them printed out and taped to my window
Leagues - Design being updated to take advantage of new infrastructure and features. In the project queue behind the digital object storage and collation updates.

Digital Object Storage and Collation update - In progress, on schedule

So what is the schedule date?
I feel like infrastructure update part is very vague, saying nothing. and leagues being behind infra is scary

Infrastructure updates are always going to be vague, for a variety of reasons.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Blippy I gotta say, sometimes your posts are pretty scathing (obv not this one), but I truly enjoy every one of them.

Surprised I'm flattered! *blushing*

If I may ask... which one?

<3 Nicol Bolas
but i actually like that the background changes with every new release, i hope that option still remains.

anyway, where can one apply for the closed beta? ;)

i like the new step display, actually makes much more sense when you put stops in you know exactly which one is for your turn and which one is for your opponent.
proud member of the 2011 community team

I'm flattered! *blushing*

If I may ask... which one?

The one where you posted about us burning down your hosue when all you wanted was a Pepsi.

It makes me smile when I read it lol.
I'm pretty pleased with this update. Multiplayer has long been due for getting back to at least V2 levels of functionality, so hearing it'll be good enough to be official next quarter is excellent. Whilst it has been far too long since I was last able to participate in a league, knowing where they are on the priority list is good, andresaonable given the dependence on what needs to be done.

The client not needing massive back end changes is a very good thing indeed, I look forward to testing it.

All in all, very promising. 
Just curious... whatever happened to this: 

Leagues – Chris (WotC_K) will talk more about Leagues in Q1 2011. Internal project name = Sandwiches.

I guess there's still one more week left for that announcement.  And can I get my sandwhich with extra meat please?
yay for Multiplayer updates, I think, does anyone know what exactly the changes will be?
It was short but sweet.  The new screens look really smooth and nice and having different themes is awesome.  Will it be easy for players to make player created themes?  Thanks for posting the update and I need to think of something crazy to say so that I can make it to Worth's window also. 
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
i just found out those are actually the same guys that did Duels (and Carmageddon :D ahh, the nostalgia)
any chance creatures with flying are hovering? that was by far the coolest feature in that game :D

I can't believe we have made it this far without someone saying something negative.  Good job people lets see how much longer we can go.

PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
Yay, chat is at the bottom!  Hopefully that's a good sign that chat will be integrated more.

I'm excited about the skining feature too, and like Heath I'm hoping there will be an esay way for players to create their own skins and even possibly submit them to wizards so that they can be aproved and redistributed.  I know, a head ache but it'd be awsome.

The small login screens look funky, I think it's mainly just because it looks like it's getting cut off.

I really like how the zones are integrated into the dual scene.  We saw the red zone awhile ago but the temporary zones look awsome.  As it is now, whenever I play a game it feels like I am clear major pop ups and it gets very annoying.  Hopefully these will fix that.

I'm hesitant about the new step display, but I'll need to touch and play with it to get a good fell for it.

So how do you apply for the closed beta?
bluedragon123 Clan YawgmothPDCMagic.com
...So how do you apply for the closed beta?

I'd be interested in this, as well.

And you know I'll tell it like it is!

*wrings his hands and cackles maniacally*
Mwahahahaha!

Can I get in on closed beta? How do I go about accomplishing that? Also, please don't only have the new faces of Magic that I really could care less for (Jace, Garruk etc.) and consider adding some stuff for the oldschool fans Crovax, Karn, etc. Maybe even some stuff just based on card art? I'd love to open up to see something like a Mageta the Lion or Black Lotus theme.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, please don't remove the old stuff completely. Leaving it in in some form would be nice, I love the green felt look and I'd be REALLY sad if my trademark Shadow of Doubt vanished altogether.  
Thanks for an other msg that

"Nothing changed, We will update soon"

yeah, looks so nice,
need beta too!!!!!!!!!!!
Will the cards still be zoomable?  The playmat looks big enough, but will the cards be viewable?  I am also very interested in the closed beta.  Thanks for the update.  So looking forward to the return of leagues and love having them included in updates even if just as a reminder that you are planning on the return of leagues.

I don't see anything to complain about. Looking forward to actually using it, be that beta or otherwise.

That "always yes" must have snuck by me, had no idea. It is something I've been wanting for a while though, so happy all around.

Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
the "always yes" was in a patch a few weeks back.
Thank you very much for posting an update to your efforts.  i'm very excited to give it a run. 
Will the cards still be zoomable?  The playmat looks big enough, but will the cards be viewable?  I am also very interested in the closed beta.  Thanks for the update.  So looking forward to the return of leagues and love having them included in updates even if just as a reminder that you are planning on the return of leagues.

I highly doubt they'd take away one of the actual, unarguable improvements that v3 brought.

That'd just be silly, right......right?

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...

I highly doubt they'd take away one of the actual, unarguable improvements that v3 brought.

haha... you never know! They took away leagues from v2.5 to v3.

haha... you never know! They took away leagues from v2.5 to v3.

Well, there were actually valid reasons for that.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Nice update. keep them coming.

on a side note about beta.
I find it just funny that people who, not saying its anyone thats posted above,  all of a sudden want to go do beta when there is some cool new  UI or client feature to be seen first off.
I just shake my head at them.
 Beta is just that and it shouldnt matter for what or when.
Maybe if people put in some leg work in on current betas they would find themselves  in all the cool ones that come out , that seem to attract more testers.
 enough said, you dnt have to like but the true is the true.
Ok im going back to beta land now.Sealed - Joe

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

I just want to say that hopefully the developement team will learn something from these other online games, they have unique features. War metal Tyrant(factions), Eredan iTCG (collection filter), and Tactics Arena Online (the loby). if Wizards makes a good client then more games may be palyed on it, sort of like gatling engine was.
Will the cards still be zoomable?

Yes.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
See iwas in betas from shadowmoor through zendikar i think, then i got nothing...ever.  No idea why either.  I just stopped getting the invites.  Makes me wonder why
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
...on a side note about beta.
I find it just funny that people who, not saying its anyone thats posted above,  all of a sudden want to go do beta when there is some cool new  UI or client feature to be seen first off.

I, for one, was unaware that beta programs existed here, so I think I can be excused. (yes, I live in a cave*) I'd love to be in a position do testing and provide feedback - both positive & negative - from the poor casual player point of view to the grand poobahs & high muckety-mucks. While promotional considerations, and being able to get my hands on new toys, are nice, it's not why I'd like to do it. I love MTG, and would consider it a huge feather in my own ego cap if I could have some minor hand in it's progress...

* Literally true. My lair is a refurbished cave that is part of the basement to my landlord's house.

i wasn't aware that there is a beta program for MTGO besides v4
i wasn't aware that there is a beta program for MTGO besides v3

bolded part fixed
well, i know that there is one for v4, the announcement said as much.
but is there also one for v3? if so how can one apply and what is tested?
...on a side note about beta.

I, for one, was unaware that beta programs existed here, so I think I can be excused. (yes, I live in a cave*) I'd love to be in a position do testing and provide feedback - both positive & negative - from the poor casual player point of view to the grand poobahs & high muckety-mucks. While promotional considerations, and being able to get my hands on new toys, are nice, it's not why I'd like to do it. I love MTG, and would consider it a huge feather in my own ego cap if I could have some minor hand in it's progress...

* Literally true. My lair is a refurbished cave that is part of the basement to my landlord's house.

There is a beta for each release set.  They build as many fixes into them as possible and test and release them all at once, wich is why there is always a list of bug fixes with the downtime that adds the new set.

I've only been in one, Timespiral i think.  They only want players that are going to search for bugs and not just use the beta to play the cards before hand.  I didn't find any bugs first time out so i guess they stopped sending me invites, which is resonable as I have little time for it anyways.  I'm hoping they will expand the invites and applications for v4 though to get more eyes on it.  I think many players will make time for it and as this thread has shown atleast mostly give constructive feedback.
bluedragon123 Clan YawgmothPDCMagic.com
Nice update. keep them coming.

on a side note about beta.
I just shake my head at them.
 Beta is just that and it shouldnt matter for what or when.
Maybe if people put in some leg work in on current betas they would find themselves  in all the cool ones that come out , that seem to attract more testers.
 enough said, you dnt have to like but the true is the true.
Ok im going back to beta land now. - Joe

Agreed.  There are a few regulars in Beta now who deserve every shot at V4 beta for all their time and effort
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
Sign In to post comments