Resistance is Futile

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
This week, at the table where I DM Encounters, I had a new player: my 12-year old niece, Mekeila.

She has gotten into RPG's through her X-Box, playing Fable 2 and Dragon Age, so she asked to come along to my game and play. I got out my red box and she went through the solo play and built an Elf Slayer. I helped her input her PC into the Character Builder, printed out her sheet, and we were off to the game.

She had a great time (and I have another female gamer at my table, which Mekeila loved). Her dad stopped by and not only did he buy her some dice, her passed on to her his first dice bag from back in the day (and yes, it is indeed a Crown Royal bag).

So we have a new gamer, a second-generation, in our midst. She has been Assimilated. Smile

The Encounters format is perfect for introducing new players, so thank you WotC!
We have fourteen regulars, four of which are female.  When we first started, they all kind of huddled together, but now they are spread out and have no problem integrating themselves with the guys, but I do believe it helps to have a female or two at the tables to demonstrate to potential female players it isn't just a guys game.

As far as assimilation, I keep looking at my five year old daughter and thinking about what I can do to prepare her for her D&D future.

Glad to hear your niece enjoyed herself.
My son just turned 13 and he has been playing since we were testing 4e before it hit the printers and has been a DM since the books were released.

Still a little rought around the edges but he does an admirable job.
We have fourteen regulars, four of which are female.  When we first started, they all kind of huddled together, but now they are spread out and have no problem integrating themselves with the guys, but I do believe it helps to have a female or two at the tables to demonstrate to potential female players it isn't just a guys game.

As far as assimilation, I keep looking at my five year old daughter and thinking about what I can do to prepare her for her D&D future.

Glad to hear your niece enjoyed herself.

My five year old daughter loves playing Wrath of Ashardalon (though we're still working on the concept of teamwork, not just running off leaving mommy and daddy to fight everything).  Since she was off for spring break this week, I brought her with me to Encounters.  I let her pick out her own dice (pink and purple of course) and I let her roll all the d20's for me as I DM'd.  My group enjoyed her presence, except that she rolls much better than I usually do.  After our Encounters game one of the other DM's runs a game as a continuation of last season, and he let her roll for him as well.  Though for everything she rolled for him, she used the d20, and the d12, so he converted her d12 roll into whatever damage was needed for the creatures (2d6 close enough, 1d6 divide by 2, etc...).  It was hilarious as she was making faces across the table at the group's paladin whenever she missed him, and she had an evil giggle whenever she hit him.  Laughing  She was only disappointed that daddy (halfling hunter) was too good at staying out of the way, so she only managed to hit me once.

Another game I've suggested before for young kids is Hero Quest if you can find it anywhere (or are like me and had 2 copies boxed up in the garage).

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

Sign In to post comments