03/24/2011 TD: "How Many Wizened Cenns?"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
More or less since the release of Ravnica: City of Guilds this column (and its predecessor, Swimming With Sharks) has tried to promote the idea of diversity in competitive metagames.

It's an idea alright. 
There are even more examples of Elves and Mono White Control winning blue envelopes. For some reason, Northeast PTQs in Philadelphia and Rockville haven't been reported.
Little slow here. I can't figure out the Flooded Grove + Scapeshift combo. 

My favorite deck here is Jeremiah A. Haney's Mono-White Control. 

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred: Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature. Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself? Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill. Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it. Him: You can't do that. Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

It's the fact that a single Grove gives you access to the double-green you need to cast Scapeshift pretty much all on its own--you don't need to have a second green source.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

It's the fact that a single Grove gives you access to the double-green you need to cast Scapeshift pretty much all on its own--you don't need to have a second green source.

That seems to be it, indeed. GG can also be achieved by Manamorphose.
I do always wonder how manamorphose is best used, example:

Your opponent makes his T3 play while you are on the draw; you have 2 lands in play (say an island and a mountain) and both the mana leak and the manamorphose in hand. Do you play the manamorphose and after it resolves the leak, or is that too unsafe?
I guess it all comes down to the situation, but could someone give some examples?

I'm not really into Extended, but I really like that deck (and since I might even play an extended tourney whenever there's one nearby, I might even play it); but I don't really see when to board in which cards.
Finks is for aggro matchups, I guess? But with this manabase, GG seems a bit tough, doesn't it? Fallout looks great against elves and possibly even fairies (mainly because it's an instant)? How does the single Jace function, probably in conjunction with the Cliques against controlling decks?

Unfortunately, I couldn't really find any matchreports with these kind of decks
You forgot the coolest part about the mono-white deck!  "blinking" a stag or wisp with another one causes it to come into play at the end of your turn, and you get to remove an opponent's permanent for their entire turn!
Another cool thing: cast sun titan, return a flickerwisp to the field, and get another ETB trigger from sun titan by targeting it with the flickerwisp.
Not a huge fan of the mono white control. Might as well splash blue for Venser, the Sojourner, Jace Beleren (or, if you're freakin' rich, Jace, the Mind Sculptor), and Mana Leak. I suppose the deck's pretty sweet for its price tag.