Looking in Columbus, GA

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm looking for a place to play FNM and MTG in general in Columbus, GA. I've asked several people locally, but no one has any answers for me.
I'm looking for a place to play FNM and MTG in general in Columbus, GA. I've asked several people locally, but no one has any answers for me.

Sir or madam, I am at Fort Benning, and you are the first person I have found that also plays. We should hang out sometime.
I've been playing (with some gaps) since the late 90's. Land Destruction can be fun! I really don't get the Command Tower backlash.
I attended CSU between 2003 and 2007.  At that time I believe the closest shop you could actually go play at was in LaGrange (Gaming Corner, iirc), but they did not host FNM or any tourneys. Only tournaments I played in were at the NerdaCon convention on the college campus every year. These were unsanctioned and I didn't have a DCI number.  Eventually a guy named James opened up "James' Games" and had sanctioned tournaments my senior year of college but the shop closed up shortly afterwards.

And that, to my knowledge, is the history of Magic shops in the Columbus, GA area.  Hopefully it has changed since then, or will in the near future.

If you attend CSU, see if the Campus Nerds group still exists. It was in full bloom when I graduated.
The Magic site Store Locator returned nothing for organized play; just some shops that sell Magic.
I still haven't had any luck Frown Nearest place I've found looking through Google is Atlanta...
I've been playing (with some gaps) since the late 90's. Land Destruction can be fun! I really don't get the Command Tower backlash.
Having moved away from Columbus in September, I can feel your pain.  The nearest card shop before I left was in Lanett, AL.  It was called The Card Shop, and the address was 217 Cherry Dr Lanett, AL 36863.  The phone number was 706-590-0826, and the store owner's email was thurvas@gmail.com.  It was always tough to get ahold of someone, and it was always best to call in the evening as the owner had a day job.  

IIRC, the the drive was 30-45 minutes one way.  I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't last, though, as they didn't seem to be getting much business the couple times I went out there.  

The next closest place was in the Atlanta area....  

Lucky for me I moved to Tacoma, WA, where there are card shops galore.  MTG was an itch I did't get to scratch very often during the four years I lived in Columbus.
The Card Shop did indeed close as did Game Corner in LaGrange.

Montgomery may be a little closer than Atlanta, and Newnan (closer still) used to have a really cool toy store (SO MANY TOYS) that had FNM. This was years ago though, I'm not sure if there's still a place.

I find it unfathomable that not one store within an hour of the Columbus or Auburn area can stay open. I'm sure if it was located in Columbus or Phenix City it would have enough people show up to get good business if it was run correctly. I don't want to open a store but someone should, dammit. MTGO is to Magic what Rollercoaster Tycoon is to Six Flags.
Sign In to post comments