Copy as Rich Text gone?

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm mucking about in the Adventure Tools and I noticed that I can't copy as rich text anymore, only view a printable version.

Are there plans to get that back?  I generally like to have multiple enemies on one page to save paper and ease of use.
I cant find it either so im guessing its gone. It is a feature id like to see back though as i also like to create new monsters and put them into scenarios as i write them.

For those of you with kids please check out the D&D Parents Group. http://community.wizards.com/dndparents

Sadly, it is gone. It was that way in the beta. Because you can't export, you can't go from the AT to the old offline MB. My general solution depends on what I need to do:

If I just need to quickly put something on a page, I screen capture the online MB and the crop the image inside Word. I use two-column format to fit several monsters to a page. (You can get 6 average sized monsters to a page).

If I need to place something on a document and have it be really sharp, such as when authoring an adventure, I want RTF. In this case I recreate the monster in the offline MB by using the online Compendium to copy-paste into the old MB. The issue here is that triggers and recharges can be lost (there are a few other issues, but those are the big ones). If you export to RTF right away it will always be fine (you can also export the monster and it will export fine).

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Sadly, it is gone. It was that way in the beta. Because you can't export, you can't go from the AT to the old offline MB. My general solution depends on what I need to do:

If I just need to quickly put something on a page, I screen capture the online MB and the crop the image inside Word. I use two-column format to fit several monsters to a page. (You can get 6 average sized monsters to a page).

If I need to place something on a document and have it be really sharp, such as when authoring an adventure, I want RTF. In this case I recreate the monster in the offline MB by using the online Compendium to copy-paste into the old MB. The issue here is that triggers and recharges can be lost (there are a few other issues, but those are the big ones). If you export to RTF right away it will always be fine (you can also export the monster and it will export fine).

Alpha,

Good tips. I'll have to make use of those as I already have the tips you made for the offline version.

visit my blog about writing, voice-over,and games (and not necessarily in that order) at mdarinyoung.wordpress.com
It'd just be nicer to have Copy as Rich text back. I'd like to lend my voice to any who are listening for feedback.

-------- Don (Greyson) --------

Non-smoker, White, Non-golfer, U.S.-American

Sorry fellow Gamers, that feature will not come back. WOTC considers the duplication of their intellectual property as a form of copyright infringement. Even if it was only for personal use.
An MB without the capability to put multiple monsters onto a page and print is useless to me.
Chelsea FC - winner of 2012 FA Cup and Champions League Champions of Europe! Three Lions Resident Footie
Seconded!
Yes, I would like this back as well. I would paste the text into Maptool tokens. This way I wouldn't need to have books open or extra documents open. All I would have to do was double click my token and there would be the info. Nice and convenient.
I posted about this in relation to the file size of pdfs I print from the Character Builder. Apparently it has to do with Silverlight. It only outputs as bmp from what I understand, so you lose any ability to edit.

The inability to import into my MapTool scenarios also makes this fairly useless to me.

cheers,
Meshon
You can add a virtual printer like CutePDF or another tool that will output the monster as other formats.  

From what I understand you will in the future be able to get access to your monsters as a downloadable item like you do in character builder.  Then your tools (maptool), iplay4e, iCombat and DMScreen can then just import those monsters as normal.  

Remember, they are rolling out features in a similar way google does it...  So overtime you will see more and more functionality.

You can add a virtual printer like CutePDF or another tool that will output the monster as other formats.

Right, but this still doesn't give you any ability to edit like the RTF export did unless you then run your pdf through optical character recognition software which takes time and doesn't give you the best results.

This issue has existed with the Character Builder from the beginning and hasn't been fixed which leads me to believe it isn't part of the plan.

Looking forward to the future with hope though!

cheers,
Meshon

From what I understand you will in the future be able to get access to your monsters as a downloadable item like you do in character builder.  Then your tools (maptool), iplay4e, iCombat and DMScreen can then just import those monsters as normal.  

Remember, they are rolling out features in a similar way google does it...  So overtime you will see more and more functionality.

The key difference between this and Google though is Google at least delivers a base functional product.

I'm trying my best to remain civil, but this is truly an insult to every DDi subscriber.  You would think they saw what a distaster the online Character Builder was and learned from their mistakes and even possibly fired people that rightly deserved it.  It was an awful launch of an inferior product.

Then we get this which is even less functional than the online Character Builder was at launch.  I would be perfectly fine if it were just a few bugs or copying as RTF were gone for a month or few, but right now it really is just a Monster Slider and not even a very good one (I believe I saw someone say it doesn't do the level calculations correctly).

This wouldn't be such a slap in the face if we weren't paying for it, we didn't already have a vastly supiorer version, if the vastly supiorer version were still supported, or if this wasn't their first attempt at an online tool, but we are paying for a terrible product that they've done before and they aren't supporting their better product anymore.

They seriously just need to fire their heads because they've proven time and time again that they just don't know how to do their job.  Hire people that actually know what they're doing and know that sometimes it's just better to delay a product.

Well, I just don't see it as an insult.  They are doing an excellent job considering the size of their shop, the volume of work they have scheduled to do and other factors.  Overall, I feel the product features are moving along at a noticeable pace and we should see more features in a short period of time.  Google Documents was a miserable product when it first hit the market compared to MS Word and Open Office, but each release cycle it has gotten better...  The same thing is occurring with Character Builder, their version of MapTool, and Monster Builder.  My only major disappointment at this time is the UI for the compendium - it just feels odd to me. 

The best aspect of them moving these tools to the cloud is the fact that they will be able to track areas of usage, what the most popular character classes, feats, powers and etc are.  I can only imagine what a rich treasure trove of data their R&D team is getting now...  

Well, I just don't see it as an insult.  They are doing an excellent job considering the size of their shop, the volume of work they have scheduled to do and other factors.  Overall, I feel the product features are moving along at a noticeable pace and we should see more features in a short period of time.  Google Documents was a miserable product when it first hit the market compared to MS Word and Open Office, but each release cycle it has gotten better...  The same thing is occurring with Character Builder, their version of MapTool, and Monster Builder.  My only major disappointment at this time is the UI for the compendium - it just feels odd to me. 

The best aspect of them moving these tools to the cloud is the fact that they will be able to track areas of usage, what the most popular character classes, feats, powers and etc are.  I can only imagine what a rich treasure trove of data their R&D team is getting now...  

So you consider backwards a good pace?

I completely agree with you that if this were the first release of the Aventure Tools I would be incredibly excited for the slider alone but this isn't the first release. 

Your Google comparisons just don't make a lot of sense because this is an already established product.  This would be like the new version of Word releasing but missing the ability to copy/paste, Save As, and do styling, or in better words, key features.
It is the first release of the online product, not an update to their offline product which you can still use.  

In the eyes of the consumer though, it's still a bad non-functioning product.

I mean at least it launches and it's speedy, but beyond that, it doesn't do much other than change the levels of monsters (though apparently not correctly).  That's useful, but not what we actually need.

Furthermore, they've stopped supporting the old one because while this may be the first onlien verion of the Adventure Tools, it's the next version of the Adventure Tools.

...They are doing an excellent job considering the size of their shop, the volume of work they have scheduled to do and other factors.

No offense intended, but this argument never flies for me.  When I pay for a product, which we all are, I expect a basic level of quality.  If your shop isn't big enough, capable enough, or talented enough to complete a task at a minimum level of quality, then don't take money...find another business.

I don't doubt for a minute that WOTC has not staffed this with enough sufficiently talented people to get the job done.  I don't doubt that they have more work than they can get done with their level of staffing/talent...this is being demonstrated right now.  Again, if you are too overworked to do a good job for me, you're not going to get sympathy from me if you take my money anyway. 

Does anyone remember an announcement by WOTC saying "There are lots of great products coming, and we want your money NOW, but don't forget that most of them will be almost completely useless for the first few months after we launch!"

Now they have presented a Monster Builder where one of the "Coming Soon" features is actually building monsters.

If they wanted to reimburse everyone's money, or even just say that the 'clock' for subscription expirations will stop running until they get things sorted, then the lack of quality wouldn't be such a big deal...but my money is running down their drains while their team gets OJT at my expense.

The other thing that blows my mind is that they invited all this grognard rage when they completely redesigned huge portions of the rules system, seemingly in large part to make it easily code-able...and yet they still can't get it right!

...They are doing an excellent job considering the size of their shop, the volume of work they have scheduled to do and other factors.

No offense intended, but this argument never flies for me.  When I pay for a product, which we all are, I expect a basic level of quality.  If your shop isn't big enough, capable enough, or talented enough to complete a task at a minimum level of quality, then don't take money...find another business.

I don't doubt for a minute that WOTC has not staffed this with enough sufficiently talented people to get the job done.  I don't doubt that they have more work than they can get done with their level of staffing/talent...this is being demonstrated right now.  Again, if you are too overworked to do a good job for me, you're not going to get sympathy from me if you take my money anyway. 

Does anyone remember an announcement by WOTC saying "There are lots of great products coming, and we want your money NOW, but don't forget that most of them will be almost completely useless for the first few months after we launch!"

Now they have presented a Monster Builder where one of the "Coming Soon" features is actually building monsters.

If they wanted to reimburse everyone's money, or even just say that the 'clock' for subscription expirations will stop running until they get things sorted, then the lack of quality wouldn't be such a big deal...but my money is running down their drains while their team gets OJT at my expense.

The other thing that blows my mind is that they invited all this grognard rage when they completely redesigned huge portions of the rules system, seemingly in large part to make it easily code-able...and yet they still can't get it right!

Very well said.

If this were some free product or even something that was a first attempt, I would have some sympathy, but they're the ones that took my money to build the product.  They're not the ones being punished for releasing an unfinished product, we, the paying customers, are.

It sucks that we're the ones getting shafted because they can't be bothered to release a finished product and now that we've all had DDi for so long there's not a lot we can do.

It's like if I bought a car and it was missing a radio, turn signals, windshield wipers, and the rearview mirrors.  No, that's not right, because the car would still at least function.  That car would be better in comparison because it at least functions.  In order to compare the car would actually have to be something like wagon wheel with the word car carved on it.

Anyways now if I get rid of my DDi subscription I instantly lose every character for every game I'm in, I lose the ability to make characters, I lose the ability to look up rules in the compendium, and I lose the ability to run my games. 

I'm essentially trapped.

I keep supprting WotC by paying for my DDi subscription which lets me continue to play but still gives positive reinforcement for their badly developed products or I stop paying for my DDi subscrition which punished WotC but also punishes me.

I bought a subscription to DDI just to get the new monster builder. Not being able to export as .rtf makes this utility worthless no me. Thank you wizards of the coast!!
I bought a subscription to DDI just to get the new monster builder. Not being able to export as .rtf makes this utility worthless no me. Thank you wizards of the coast!!

and lets throw in that there is no database of skill challenges or any other "adventure tools" around.

I bought this DDI subscription recently and so far I am sorely disappointed by what I have gotten for my $
It is the first release of the online product, not an update to their offline product which you can still use.  

So long as they aren't updating the offline product with new content or fixing the bugs in it, then it is a replacement. To replace a functioning product that people are use to with one that is lacking even basic functionality is an insult.

So long as they aren't updating the offline product with new content or fixing the bugs in it, then it is a replacement. To replace a functioning product that people are use to with one that is lacking even basic functionality is an insult.

This is funny, but repeating it doesn't make it true.

Yes but being fact does make it true...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.

I guess it's a good thing that it's not a fact then.

I guess it's a good thing that it's not a fact then.

Call the new one a replacement, call the old one abandonware, whatever. Semantics doesn't change what's happening. We are no longer getting updates for a product that is useful and we are getting updates for a near non-functional product that is meant to one day replace it. Bad software development is bad sofware development...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
I usually never complain or get bent out of shape, but this really chaps me. As a new DM this made it possible for me to use my dm software as an aid. Without the export to rtf function I now don't have the time to prep my games and have essentially stopped running my weekly session.

Unfortunatly I dont have the offline version insatlled any longer. Does anyone know where I can download it?
Yep follow the link to the online builder and you can still download the old one from the same place.

For those of you with kids please check out the D&D Parents Group. http://community.wizards.com/dndparents

Call the new one a replacement, call the old one abandonware, whatever. Semantics doesn't change what's happening. We are no longer getting updates for a product that is useful and we are getting updates for a near non-functional product that is meant to one day replace it. Bad software development is bad sofware development...

I will reiterate my point since you seem to have missed it.
From Dictionary.com
Replace:
to assume the former role, position, or function of; substituefor (a person or thing)

Replacement:
the act of replacing

DMaples assertion:
So long as they aren't updating the offline product with new content or fixing the bugs in it, then it is a replacement

This statement is factually false.  Until such time as the offline (monster) builder is no longer available for download, it has not been replaced.  The new online builder is in addition to what we currently have.  Prefacing such a claim with conditions or repeating the post (he has posted this same exact claim elsewhere on the boards) does not make it true.
That all said, I'm glad you agree with me that "meant to one day replace it" vs. "is a replacement".  Also, I never said anything about "bad software development".  That was entirely you trying to mischaracterize my comments.  If you want to call it "bad software development" then I suppose you're welcome to your own opinion.
I used the online builder for the first time today because I needed a blood amniote to convert a 3e module to 4e and they don't seem to be in the offline builder.  It cam as something of a shock that you can't copy and paste your customised monsters.  I am struggling to see the point of the online builder if all I can do is look at the screen.  I can adjust the monsters on paper myself - the whole point of the tool is to do it for me isn't it?  If WotC don't want people copying their monsters then just scrap the whole tool because that seems to be the entire point!
I used the online builder for the first time today because I needed a blood amniote to convert a 3e module to 4e and they don't seem to be in the offline builder.  It cam as something of a shock that you can't copy and paste your customised monsters.  I am struggling to see the point of the online builder if all I can do is look at the screen.  I can adjust the monsters on paper myself - the whole point of the tool is to do it for me isn't it?  If WotC don't want people copying their monsters then just scrap the whole tool because that seems to be the entire point!

You can print them, and if you have a PDF printer installed you can print them to PDF.  It is certainly not as convenient as "copy to rich text", but it will achieve your goal.  Your other option at this time is to enter them manually from the online into the offline builder.
It is generally better to grab a screen shot and paste it in something like Word, trim the image, add anything else you need, and then print.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I don't think it's generally better at all. I convert old modules to 4th edition. When I need to bring in a monster or create/modify my own it was the easiest thing in the world to copy to RTF and slap it into Word right there and continue working on my conversion, all in one document. This adds extra, time-consuming steps that just make what was nice and intuitive more of a headache than it needs to be.
Would it really kill them to make it easy for us? Virtually no other online service I have ever paid for has been as restrictive and inaccessible. I honestly don't know how they stay in business. Every gaming group I'm in contact with has quit 4e for another product. I personally run a 4e game with NO subscribers except myself, and we all use the older offline products, and the same pile of books we bought 3 years ago. When its my turn to DM, I resubscribe for the compendium. I rarely DM these days though, because the services just aren't worth my hard-earned $$$.

It seems a sensible Gamers Bill of Rights should apply.
Wow, this is incredibly disappointing. I let my sub lapse and just came back to it, trying to run an online campaign. Having all the data handy would be really nice. What's strange to me is that the developers and any testing that happened before launch and "we're not supporting the old product anymore" didn't think once about how the output of the tool would actually be used. The current output is very close to useless, either 'one monster per file' or 'one monster per page.' There are certainly tools out there that can fix that, image resizers, print to PDF and compile, etc etc, but those are all third party tools in addition to whatever I use to view the finished product in. More to the point, the actual ability to copy and paste a brick of text isn't rocket science. 

I'm not trying to make a slick product, so an export isn't necessary as long as I can cut and paste, but missing that is nonsensical. I stand behind the idea that this product is, at this point, broken. Once I can get an output from this that I can bring into my game in one step, it'll be an upgrade to 'beta.' 
Yeah, the monster builder looks like it's going to be just the same as the character builder - objectively worse than the product that came before it. Wizards really dropped the ball here and I find the people defending these choices utterly baffling.

The simple truth is the products aren't as good as the product they've replaced. If WotC couldn't make new products to replace the ones they felt were causing them aggro to at least the level they were before, they should have outsourced. Because this is just embarassing.

The key difference between this and Google though is Google at least delivers a base functional product.

Actually, the real key difference between this and Google is that you don't have to pay in advance just to get a chance to beta-test Google's prototypes.
Why did I get a subscription???  Goodby Wizards hello Pazio! This really ticks me off.
Another happy DDI customer
Sign In to post comments