Dungeon 188 - Devil's Due

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
DDIDungeon 188
Devil's Due

by John Rossomangno

Captain Aubren will be a rich man after this Astral voyage ... if all goes well.

Talk about this Adventure here.

I almost can't believe it.

They finally published an adventure outside of the heroic tier for the first time in a billion years. It has a really nice map of an astral ship as well, perfect for one of my campaigns!
I liked it a lot. A neat scenario, despite being a bit short. More of a side trek than an adventure but i enjoyed the read. I really liked Altering The Deal and they way it is handled. It shows participants that something is gain or lost in a cool fictional manner. I liked the Vessel's map too, a little Eberronian Airship feel !

I wonder what was Jedreez's cargo...(The art seems to suggest gemstones.)

Definitly, dealing with Devils is no easy business. Gotta watch your every words....

Astral diamond to John Rossomangno for this nice adventure !

PS @MaximumHavoc:  thank you for creating this discussion thread. Wink  (what ? nobody ever tells you yet you tell everybody :P)

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Another really good adventure. The quality of Dungeon has been making me really happy lately. This adventure is one that I'm definitely putting into my main campaign. My players love ethical dilemmas and tricky negotiations. I'd like to read more by this author, keep em coming!
Is it bad that when I read the article the first thing I thought of was this; www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwF7n8WyOoU?

All in all, awesome article.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."-Douglas Adams
id been begging for some higher level adventures, and i was pleased with this

this would be a good one for the vt, if the vt ever comes back
Well done Mr. Rossomangno!

the only thing that sucks about this is the ship tiles were like a dm rewards or something so id have to make a crappy boat out of tiles, draw one (my drawing is like a childs), or buy the ship tiles from paizo to run this

unless they put it on the vt!!!!
I'm really hoping WotC releases a tile set of vehicles. Boats, airships, wagons, chariots, whatever. I think it would be a best seller. Once the swamp tiles come out later this year, they've covered pretty much every outdoor terrain I can think of. Time for some different stuff.
That reminds me: the Gamma World article introduced a bunch of modern vehicles to ride in too.  Actually, very useful rules to bring over into the core game.  If they do that, I hope the do the same for GW.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I'm really hoping WotC releases a tile set of vehicles. Boats, airships, wagons, chariots, whatever. I think it would be a best seller. Once the swamp tiles come out later this year, they've covered pretty much every outdoor terrain I can think of. Time for some different stuff.

Plus 1

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Mountains and especially farmland are actually outdoor terrain types that I often miss when working with adventures for LFR.

Wow!  That's a great idea.  Actually, with the new 3d tile sets, a Shipboard tileset alone would be great, especially if the tiles could be reconfigured to make a variety of sizes of vessel.  For instance, you could combine all the tiles to make, say a three-deck caravel or carrack.  Take out some tiles, and you have a cog.  Rearrange and add some long oar-laden tiles and you've got a longship or galley.  Toss on a few dinghy tiles to serve either as rowboats or tenders, and maybe the reverse can have some more ocean water, sea foam, coral reefs, and whirlpools.

A separate 2d tileset with wagons, camels, horses, chariots, tents, howdahs, chuck wagons, and carts (call it a Caravan set) would also be fantastic.

paizo has ship tile stuff

So we've got four ideas for future tiles sets: mountains, farmlands, ship, and caravan...

Given WotC's current penchant for naming the tilesets after specific established locales, what should they be...

Mountains: The Crystalmist Mountains. (Greyhawk)
Farmlands: Fields of Faerûn. (Forgotten Realms)
Ship: The Marvelous Folding Boat (wondrous item)
Caravan: Caravans of the Vistani (Ravenloft)
paizo has ship tile stuff

That's true.  I think they have a CD-Rom with printable layouts for a medieval ship.  I prefer the Wizards' cardstock, which is thinker and of better quaity, but until we get a full ship, it's nto a bad alternative.
Cool.  I always have so much trouble finding stuff on that site when I don't knwo exactly what it is I'm looking for.
So...I go to the Dungeon 188 page to download the adventure and everything is "grayed out"? (Google Chrome)

Luckily the direct article page link works...

This article was updated on 4/01 with slightly altered/corrected stats for the misfortune devil. The changes make him function more like an elite skirmisher.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Thanks Steve for communicating Updates. Really appreciated !

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Many thanks for the praise, everyone.  I tend to keep a low profile around here but I do appreciate the cheers and feedback.

I wonder what was Jedreez's cargo...(The art seems to suggest gemstones.)

Plague, while it's left to the DM to decide, I actually envisioned highly fragile goods such as statuary, ancient (and delicate) vases and other sorts of things that might end up making a great and worrisome racket when the Quom ram the ship or go below decks and begin wreaking havoc in their search.  Wayne England's awesome artwork (to me at least) is the devil's offer to the captain of the ship (or possibly him presenting a bribe to the players) but there's no reason the hold couldn't be filled with gemstones that the Quom could crush to powder.

-Ross

-Ross
Around these parts: The Devil's Due (Dungeon 188); Going Ape! (Dungeon 192); Reflections of Ruin (Dungeon 196)
Elsewhere: DriveThru RPG.com; BrokenBinding.com
Thank you John for the remarks. Always fun the get to know more of the author's vision behind some mysteriously grey left area in Adventure Design... 

Yan
Montréal, Canada