Pirate Crew: What classes should we do?

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright, simply put: we are Pirates who Sail the sea's of the Underdark (considering that there are Underground oceans, the DM said "Yay" to it so we are making a Pirate crew in the Underdark.) I'll explain more about it later (-Story-) and then I will talk about our Characters (-Players-) and then we could use some help with deciding the classes.  As of right now, we are looking for some flavor in deciding what classes we are going to hit while we are sailing the Seas. My girlfriend is also an Illustrator, so when she has access to her scanner, I will ask her to add her pictures online, and then I shall add them for you to view what our characters look like. ^-^

-Story-
Waters of the Underdark: Dark Water

One way or another, there are going to be several people who get one one ship, most preferably they are already a part of a pirate crew (Although there is my girlfriend which will be playing a different background. More on her and her character later.) Currently, she is the only one who is going to start off of the crew, the others are going to be pirates and will have known each other for a rather long time. There is going to be a Captain, a full Drow, then there will be other crew major crew members that will be played by the rest of us. The DM will have control over the rest of the crew. The bot is a small sized boat, I don't know which one of these it will be, but it is large enough to count as a pirate ship. There is no "controller" of the ship, it's a free item that the DM has given us based on our group background.

Now, the major setting is the Underdark, the main idea with our DM is that there is an underground Ocean inside the Underdark, which is called Dark Water. The waters down there are constantly feed and supported by the ocean above, waterfall like phenomenons fall from the ceilings of the Underdark caverns, somewhere in the center of the Dark water Oceans, but for some reason, never flood the full Underdark, and only have an ocean like source of water down there. There are also creatures that live in the waters and caves down there, and while a vast amount of the Oceans on the upper world has already been charted and discovered, the people who try and chart and map the waters of the Dark Water never come back to tell their tales or collect their glory and gold. Now, after so long, a Pirate crew is deciding to test their luck in the waters, and claim what no other has been able to do, Map the waters of Dark Water and collect the untold treasures that lay in the depth of the unknown.

(Now, we know we are using some names from an old cartoon show called "Pirates of Darkwaters" but it's only the name as far as I know. No living waters trying to drown the world here. We are only using names for right now, nothing else. We are trying to find something to replace the Underdark Ocean's name, so feel free to give idea's.)

-Players-
The Pirates of the Dark Water Crew

Shal'edin Rilyn'lyl
-Captain and Galad'ven's Mother-
Player: N/A (CPU, GM controlled)
Race: Drow

Galad'ven Rilyn'lyl
-Mapper/Navigator and Captain's Son-
Player: Myself
Race: Half-Drow (Half-Elf Template)
Weapon Style: Two Weapon Fighter, Melee Ranged
Preferred Profession:
- Rogue (Brutal Scoundrel/Ranger MC)
- Ranger (Two weapon Fighter)
- Barbarian(Two weapon Fighter)
- Fighter (Two weapon Fighter)
Background: Galad'ven was the bastard child of Shal'edin by a Male Human Slave sold to her in the Underdark. Originally, when she had found out that she bore a child, she had decided to drop him off as soon as he was born, but when he was born to her, she could not find it within herself to leave her heir to fend for himself and decided to raise him as a part of her own crew. Growing up, there was no torment or other amount of Drow society that could be found outside the ship, it was work or die. He grew up doing hard work and maintenance for the ship, and as long as he did a good job, he was rewarded with food and shelter in the ship. While growing up, his mother had found that Galad'ven had a natural knack for Navigation and Mapping, so while also putting up with the normal course he had been given, he had also been given the assignment of mapping and Navigation for the ship. He was raised as if he wasn't a family, but as if he was part of the crew, and he considers all of them family, even if they might not seem him in the same way.

Lird... Is Cute, YES? (by 13hollows)

Lird (No Last Name)
-Dark Water Crew Stowaway-
Player: My Girlfriend
Race: Half-Drow (Half-Elf Template)
Weapon Style: Two Dagger Fighter
Preferred Profession:
- Rogue (Artful Dodger)
-Thief (what book is that?)
- Intelligence Based Striker Class
Background: Born to an unnamed Male Drow and an unnamed Human slave, she is a half-drow that was born into slavery and was tortured by her blood father and others into insanity. She had escaped her owner's and slipped into the vessel that the crew had been using, and slipped with them into the unknown waters of the Dark Water. While she is highly intelligence. she is also somewhat insane (shown by her either kissing then trying to cut Galad's eye's out by thinking their "pretty" or the other way around.)

(Has yet to be named)
-Dark Water Crew Member-
Player: Best Friend
Race: Warforged
Weapon Style: Pole arm/Reach Weapons
Preferred Profession:
- (Undecided)
Background:
Undecided
Extra Information: We haven't worked on his character yet, we will work on it more in a few days.

Now: What do you people think would be Pirate Like Classes? I know Rogue and Rangers are givens for normal Pirates, and a Captain is normally a Warlord, but what other classes do you think we might responsible pass of as a Pirate? Please help with whatever you think would be a good idea. ^-^ Thank you for all the help.

-The Game-
Wanna Join? PM me, we need more players!

Preferred Place: Arizona Mills -or- Chandler Mall
Preferred Time: Unknown
Start Time: Unknown
!Needed!:
- A New DM (the original DM with this Idea moved away.)
- More Players (We have a 3 possible players, we want 2 more at least)
- A Time an Place (Need to decide on them)
- A New name for "Dark Water"
- Class Idea's

We won't be able to meet for a while though. My friend is still in Highschool, and my Girl Friend just started to look for a college to join. We are still looking for a game to join when we can, but more then likely, it will be a weekly thing or a Bi-weekly thing. I would love to play again, but we need to get more settled down before we can again. Thank you again.

The Thief class is in Heroes of the Fallen Lands, which is Essentials Book I. That being said, here's my critique.

Two-weapon anything is a terrible idea for a naval crew. The reason the saying goes, "All hands on deck" is because a crewmember was often referred to as a hand. This comes from the same place as the saying, "One hand for the boat and one for yourself." If you're using two hands to do something, and you're knocked off the deck, you can't catch yourself, and once you're in the water, you're effectively dead (at the very least, you're unlikely to rejoin an encounter).

Rogue's make great naval backgrounds, as do Star Pact Warlocks (navigation/astronomy background). Brawler Fighters are good, as could be Battleragers (because they use lighter armor). Hunter Style Rangers are possible, as the emphasis is not so much on two-weapon fighting.

Most arcane classes work pretty well, even Artificers, with their penchant for explosives (Gunner's Mate). The Primal classes are a little weird, thematically, despite being built around only using non-metal armor (which is a HUGE plus). Divine classes are kind of split (Paladins don't work so well, Avengers work great, Clerics and Invokers are kind of iffy). Psychic classes are, of course, just weird, so some will work (Monk in particular, no need to carry a weapon!), others may not be a good thematic fit (Battleminds probably aren't going to work so well, but may).

Honestly, I would recommend against anything that encourages two-weapon- or two-handed-weapon- style combat (unless a versatile or ranged weapon is used for the latter), as both of those tend to work against the theme.

Also, the Warforged? Kiiiind of a terrible idea as well. I mean, what ship's captain is going to invite an anchor on to the deck?

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Also, the Warforged? Kiiiind of a terrible idea as well. I mean, what ship's captain is going to invite an anchor on to the deck?

Warforged are strong, hard to kill, can be vigiliant lookouts because they never need to sleep, cost less to employ and give you more cargo space since they never need to eat or drink, won't drown if they ever fall over board, and are usually good in a fight. 

They only weigh about as much as two humans.  So unless the crew is nothing but warforge or the ship is a tiny river boat, their weight shouldn't be much of an issue.

Now: What do you people think would be Pirate Like Classes? I know Rogue and Rangers are givens for normal Pirates, and a Captain is normally a Warlord, but what other classes do you think we might responsible pass of as a Pirate? Please help with whatever you think would be a good idea.

Any class can be a pirate.  Flavor is mutable and can be tweaked or toss out completely if need be.  Though class flavor tweaking will not be needed in most cases since the motivations of pirates typically aren't much different than those of an normal adventurer - typically being gold and glory.  The main difference between the two being pirates are adventurers on a boat who.

Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.

Warforged are strong, hard to kill, can be vigilant lookouts because they never need to sleep, cost less to employ and give you more cargo space since they never need to eat or drink, won't drown if they ever fall over board, and are usually good in a fight. 

They only weigh about as much as two humans.  So unless the crew is nothing but warforge or the ship is a tiny river boat, their weight shouldn't be much of an issue.

That is basically the idea of it. That, and since it's a mainly Trance based party (sadly except for me and my GF since we're the only one's without a trance like ability.)

But ya, basically when they went above ground in search for crew members, they found a magical shop, and they bought a warforged xD lol. Basically, he is a walking cargo hold, and a sleepless watcher. Although he doesn't have the highest perception score, and he isn't getting darkvision for a while now (Paragon Path) but I doubt when we get a DM, he will force us into darkfights from level 1.

We were thinking of asking the DM (if/when we get one) if we could add a Giant magnet type thing in case the walking "anchor" drops into the water, or we end up searching for something in the bottom of the Dark Water.

Any class can be a pirate.  Flavor is mutable and can be tweaked or toss out completely if need be.  Though class flavor tweaking will not be needed in most cases since the motivations of pirates typically aren't much different than those of an normal adventurer - typically being gold and glory.  The main difference between the two being pirates are adventurers on a boat who.

Well, I know Any can be considered a Pirate in one way or the other (also, you forgot Girls ~_^ being an explorer really helps with the ladies, or so I heard xD lol) but I was more asking what type of flavors could we use? My GF is ganna be a stowaway, so she got an easy "escaped into your boat." And the captain thinks that she would be more use to them on the boat then in the water, saying that "if she could get the drop on Galad'ven like that, then she would be useful later on." That, and the fact that it would be to much trouble trying to caught a slippery stowaway with daggers and throw them over then it's worth xD

Two-weapon anything is a terrible idea for a naval crew. The reason the saying goes, "All hands on deck" is because a crewmember was often referred to as a hand. This comes from the same place as the saying, "One hand for the boat and one for yourself." If you're using two hands to do something, and you're knocked off the deck, you can't catch yourself, and once you're in the water, you're effectively dead (at the very least, you're unlikely to rejoin an encounter).

Ya, I know D: but I really like two cutlass. I thought about "what if I fall" so I really don't know >.<
I guess I could be Rogue, I always liked them, or maybe a fighter like you said. It be fun grappling people and all, but I was thinking of talking my friend into something like that xD (he is a fan of vamps, so I was showing him Vamp Heritage.)

I've read some books on drows and in one there was a underdark ocean and I think it was called Dark Water . In the book the drows took a deamon ship (that ran off souls sence no wind in the underdark it ran on arcane magic) . The deamon ship could travers planes and they used it to get to the deamon web..or abyss...what ever plane Loth lives in . 

So with no wind in the underdark think you should have like a viking ship with ores and bugbear or orc or ogre slaves to row it . You are drows Tongue out
   As for Classes a sea mage from the drow mage school (forgot what its called) . For a background any drow can be on the run from thier family tring to kill them or a male tired of women bossing him around . 
    If I was gona play with you I'd want to make a grey dwarf (Dunger) Seeker /spiritbound/Swift Strider . It take me a wile to come up with a back ground . A half-orc druid that could take a shark form would be my second choice .

Knockback.    Lots of knockback.  Being able to eject foes from the boat at will is going to be an incredibly powerful option.
(I employ zie/zie/zir as a gender-neutral counterpart to he/him/his. Just a heads-up.) Essentials definitely isn't for me as a player, and I feel that its design and implementation bear serious flaws which fill me with concern for the future of D&D, but I've come to the conclusion that it isn't going to destroy the game that I want to play. Indeed, I think that I could probably run a game for players using Essentials characters without it being much of a problem at all. Time will tell, I suppose.
Knockback.    Lots of knockback.  Being able to eject foes from the boat at will is going to be an incredibly powerful option.

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Knockback. Lots of knockback.  Being able to eject foes from the boat at will is going to be an incredibly powerful option.

xD Lulz, this is the development thread, not the "How to make a sharacter perfect for sailing settings" thread. If anything, if I was looking for how to make the best possible character for boat and sailing settings, I think I would have went to the character Optimization thread.

But I apprecieate the thought. ^-^

I've read some books on drows and in one there was a underdark ocean and I think it was called Dark Water . In the book the drows took a deamon ship (that ran off souls sence no wind in the underdark it ran on arcane magic) . The deamon ship could travers planes and they used it to get to the deamon web..or abyss...what ever plane Loth lives in . 

So with no wind in the underdark think you should have like a viking ship with ores and bugbear or orc or ogre slaves to row it . You are drows

As for Classes a sea mage from the drow mage school (forgot what its called) . For a background any drow can be on the run from thier family tring to kill them or a male tired of women bossing him around .

If I was gona play with you I'd want to make a grey dwarf (Dunger) Seeker /spiritbound/Swift Strider . It take me a wile to come up with a back ground . A half-orc druid that could take a shark form would be my second choice .

They sound fun!~ :D I might suggest my friend that, a shapeshifer "druid" Warforged... anyone wanna say it with me? "Tranceformers, Robots in Disguise!!!" xD haha but I never seena seeker before, I have to look at the HoFL and PH3 soon.... my game store doesn't have them TT-TT

Also I did not know there was a Ocean inside the underdark... although we won't be travling Planer demensions, we will be travling and mapping the darkwaters xD haha But ya, we are more then likely going to do that, or an automatic ship or something.

Also... there is a Mage school in Drow towns like that? I haven't read the dnd stories yet v.v
xD Lulz, this is the development thread, not the "How to make a sharacter perfect for sailing settings" thread. If anything, if I was looking for how to make the best possible character for boat and sailing settings, I think I would have went to the character Optimization thread.

In the days of kings and castles left-handed swordsmen commanded fully double the price of their right-handed counterparts when hired for sieges.  Know why?  Staircases.  Spiral staircases were deliberately designed with a clockwise ascent so that the defenders above would be able to take cover behind the staircase's central pillar and have free range of motion for their right arms, while attackers below attempting to ascend would find their sword arms hindered by the central pillar.  Left-handed swordsmen were an invaluable asset to any army attempting to take a castle as they could garner the same advantage going up that defenders got going down.  Thus they were highly prized and sought after.

Being able to force pirates, sahuagin, and other unwelcome guests off of the deck would be an equally-prized asset for the very same reason; when a mechanical tactic is effective enough it'll be reflected in the fluff.  You may not be interested in min-maxing combat at sea, but I assure you that the sea captains of your game world are.  That means that characters with knockback would be as much a prized commodity on a fantasy crew as someone who knows how to cook or who can navigate in a fog is a staple on a real-world crew; it's a useful skill set.

But I apprecieate the thought. ^-^

Your appreciation is appreciated.
(I employ zie/zie/zir as a gender-neutral counterpart to he/him/his. Just a heads-up.) Essentials definitely isn't for me as a player, and I feel that its design and implementation bear serious flaws which fill me with concern for the future of D&D, but I've come to the conclusion that it isn't going to destroy the game that I want to play. Indeed, I think that I could probably run a game for players using Essentials characters without it being much of a problem at all. Time will tell, I suppose.
Galad = Scout, tweak the "nature guide" stuff to navigation stuff.

Lird = Bard.  Very intimidating and distracting with her crazyness.  Her majestic words can easily be "oh galad's unconcious, now i can get his eyes", and then galad finds new strength.  She'll need arcane impliment proficency (dagger).

Warforged = Polearm fighter.  Possibly reflavored as hitting people with an oar, and has a special connection with the boat.

That gives you a nicely balaned team of striker, leader sub-controler, and defender sub-controler.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Actually, I think a Brawler makes more sense than a Polearm build does. Once you're below deck, that polearm is worthless. Even above deck, from a fluff perspective, you've got all the rigging and whatnots that are just sitting there, waiting to snag your polearm and mess everything up for you.

Brawler, on the other hand (hehehe), makes pretty good sense from a seafaring perspective.

Any builds that focus on large or two weapons (especially both!) are just not thematically appropriate for the setting. At least not while onboard.

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Sword Coast Corsair, Draeven Marauder.

Eladrin for the race w/ the Eladrin Soldier feat.

Just reflavor Eladrin as 'High Drow' or something to fit your story needs.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
I'd say 'whatever you want', really.  Plate armor and heavy shield gets you a total of a -4 to Athletics checks (aka 'swimming'), and there are ways to ameliorate that, so that's not really an issue.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I'd say 'whatever you want', really.  Plate armor and heavy shield gets you a total of a -4 to Athletics checks (aka 'swimming'), and there are ways to ameliorate that, so that's not really an issue.

Yep.  This is why I could only think to make a mechanical suggestion; asking what classes are fluff-appropriate for a seafaring campaign is a nonsensical question to me since no class is inappropriate for a seafaring campaign.
Acturally, we were talking about the character, and we were thinking of something like a blood powered Warforged xD lol

Don't ask me why, but for some reason, he had the idea of being a Brawling Fighter with Vamperic Hertage feats, so it would be funny. Imagen, a warforged going around saying "Vet me Suck your Vlood!" xD lol

But ya, Brawling fighter seems the best for this with there restraints. He might not be a warforged thought, but he is definently going to be a Brawler fighter with Vamperic heitage feats.

This will be fun. Two Half Drow with a Bloodsucking warforged or something

wonder what else we might have? xD
honestly, a way to get around the problem with two-weapon fighting on-deack is to use at least one weapon that can be used to trip or get's disarm bonuses. a wapon with a hook, or which wraps around opponents can catch onto railings or ropes or whatever, and save you from plummeting to the water.

if you go with a class that has the right proficiencies, you can wield Khopeshes, or a Spiked Chain or something. imagine Galad with something like that. =w= coolio, ah?

as for your Warforged buddy, I agree that the long weapons idea is bad. it is not easy to set up use for a polearm on a ship. but maybe if he used a firearm it'd be cool.

think of this; he is part of the hsip. he was an add-on when you bought the ship. he uses a hand-held cannon (or maybe has a cannon built into his arm or chest). he could be a sort of bulldozer shock troop who pushes enemies off the boat. like Mr.Celsius said, give him alot of pushpack, and make him a character who lines up foes for strategic group attacks, or who pushes enemies offboard. charging feats could also be used effectively with this build.
I think a warforged isn't just a good fit for this campaign; it's necessary.  Cartography and hunting sunken treasure are part of the gig, right?  What you've got there is a diver who doesn't need to breathe, can't get the bends and won't be too fussed about having a lanyard ring bolted to his back for easy retrieval.  Aside from being an asset in boarding and defense he's going to work in the capacity of an anchor, a diver and a stevedore, and if everything goes pear-shaped and the ship goes down he can walk home with the map and the ship's log.
"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
he's going to work in the capacity of an anchor

You do realize that Warforged are predominantly wood and float/swim as well as any other standard race, right?  Plus he won't be heavy enough, plus anchors work at least in part by being hook-shaped and digging into the seabed?

You do realize that Warforged are predominantly wood and float/swim as well as any other standard race, right?  Plus he won't be heavy enough, plus anchors work at least in part by being hook-shaped and digging into the seabed?

he's got thumbs. XD

That may be your (and the default) warforged, but mine is a 400 lbs chunk of sentient metal.  He sinks (slight houserule, he also takes a -5 to swim checks and no penalty if he's on the bottom).

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Emphasis mine.  Support?
"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
Eberron Player's Guide, Warforged, Physical Qualities, pg. 33

"A skeleton of (metal and stone) supports woody fiber bundles that comprise a warforged's muscular system."

See also: 95 percent of Warforged artwork.
to be fair, if he says that in his games the Warfored are just heavy metal people, then that's what they are (feasible or otherwise).

though, aye, they are typically wooden with metal plating overtop and possibly oil-/fluid-filled tubes running around the wood like blood-veins.

and I imagine them having a Hard-drive-like system inside their heads or something that functions much as a Cyberbrain from Ghost In The Shell.
As for the Warforged sinking or floating, I believe there is no mechanical difference between them and a fleshy humanoid.  Fluff-wise they might sink more often but that might just be their "armor".  Put a Warforged and a Human in Plate Armor (most likely actually attached to the former) and watch both of them sink.  And both of them have the same penalty to their Athletics checks.  The difference is the Warforged doesn't have to breathe and can just "chill" on the ocean floor.

What might be useful is to have a lightly armored Warforged that can wear a heavy belt or vest or shoes when "diving".  This allows him to swim easily as well as function as an underwater walker.

As for classes, consider using a "spiked gauntlet" as a weapon for being armed AND having hands free.  Quick Draw is also useful for being armed at a moment's notice.   Pretty much any class could be a pirate.  

Martial classes all fit quite well.  The fighter is your general marine/brawler/swashbuckler guy.  The rogue is your sneaky cutthroat guy.  The ranger is your quick-and-deadly dual-wielder pirate.  The warlord is your leader/captain/mate/officer.

The Arcane classes could work well in a fantasy pirate crew.  Using energy damage to hinder an enemy ship is a useful skill.  Wizards might be too bookish but an alternative fluff wizard who cobbled together an arcane education drifting through ports and offering his "fireball" to captains could be interesting.  A bard could be a ship's musician/cook/morale officer/bosun/jack-of-all-trades guy.  A sorcerer could have grown up on the waves and could take his style from the pirate life.  A swordmage could be a magic-enhanced duelist swashbuckler.

Divine classes might seem difficult...but not really.  Whether Cleric, Paladin, Invoker, or Avenger...they are all just followers of the deity of piracy, thievery, the ocean, alcohol, swordplay, or something like that.  A pirate paladin could look like a dirty guy with an eyepatch and cutlass but when he says the name of "Holyjack the Pirate King in the Sky" his cutlass REALLY hurts.

Primal classes just devote themselves to the nature of the sea.  Bear-themed characters could be whale-themed or shark-themed or seagull-themed.  A primal character could be a foul "windwitch".  A druid could wild-shape into a fierce squid-beast.

Psionic...I don't know.  Maybe there are psionic pirates. 
Unless your boat is magical itself, or your crew is rowing it (or has slaves to do so), you might need a primal, divine, or psionic character just to provide wind in the sails. 

Psionic characters are kind of hard to imagine as pirates, but I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's just that we've always been told that the psionic power source takes training and discipline and skill to tap into, while we imagine pirates as rather more brutal and dextrous?

The flavor text for battleminds actually fits fairly well as a pirate, and they can easily stack feats and features that let them extend push range to knock targets well off your ship. 
I think a Harrier or Wild Battlemind would be a great fit for a pirate ship, if not quite as cool as the warforged brawler.  A monk would make a great deckhand, between the excessive mobility, possible pushing ability, and ability to use a weapon or not as convenience merits.  How did he get there?  Maybe he's on the run from a monastery for whatever reason.

Any divine character following Melora or Kord might have reason to take to the sea, although I mostly picture Clerics going that way.

An Eagle Shaman, especially one with wind-based powers, could be flavored as propelling the ship, and the spirit companion would be great at boarding enemy ships to make a beacon for ranged attackers, and extend the shaman's power to attack while he stays safely on his own ship. 
I think a Harrier or Wild Battlemind would be a great fit for a pirate ship, if not quite as cool as the warforged brawler.  A monk would make a great deckhand, between the excessive mobility, possible pushing ability, and ability to use a weapon or not as convenience merits.  How did he get there?  Maybe he's on the run from a monastery for whatever reason.

Any divine character following Melora or Kord might have reason to take to the sea, although I mostly picture Clerics going that way.

An Eagle Shaman, especially one with wind-based powers, could be flavored as propelling the ship, and the spirit companion would be great at boarding enemy ships to make a beacon for ranged attackers, and extend the shaman's power to attack while he stays safely on his own ship. 

and for flavour, you could make it a Mackaw Shaman, or a Tucan Shaman. =w= or some other kinda Bird of Paradise.

and for flavour, you could make it a Mackaw Shaman, or a Tucan Shaman. =w= or some other kinda Bird of Paradise.

Your Giant Parrot Spirit will strike fear into the hearts of your enemies.  "Bawk! Shoot 'em right there! Bawkbawk!"  And that leaves you Wis/Dex in leather, nice and mobile for a pirate ship.  Heck, if the ranges work out, that shaman could stay at the ship's helm during combat to stay safe (possibly with cover) and maintain line of sight, and send the parrot all over the place to direct the attack.  Awesome pirate captain, right there.
This sounds like a blast.  I think like many have suggested any class can work it is more how their talents can be utalized on the ship and what ties them to the crew.  Why are they together and what the can do is far more important than the normal text describing the class.  Druids and rangers have been utilzed by ocean going ships on the surface why not in the underdark.  Perhaps a druid is related to one of the other crew members, or has allied themselves witht he crew because the often run afoul of Drow slavers or Saughain that are harmful somehow to the balance of nature in the dark water.  The bigest issue I see is how you will handle the skills.  How much is handled by dungeoneeiring, athletics do you need to have new skills added; sailing, navigation, shipwright, ect.  If I was DMing I would invent half a dozen skills pertaining to the dark water, sailing and so forth and let everyone have an extra skill slot to reflect the fact that they are sailors. 
I could see a Druid working. I don't know, Rangers just don't feel very much like a pirate to me. I can't get over the whole "two-weapon fighting" vs "one hand for the ship, one for yourself" I guess.

Dilige, et quod vis fac

I could see a Druid working. I don't know, Rangers just don't feel very much like a pirate to me. I can't get over the whole "two-weapon fighting" vs "one hand for the ship, one for yourself" I guess.

surely, they can still spec ranged? in which case, give'im a crossbow (or a firearm if those are available), and call him a sharp-shooter.
"one hand for the ship, one for yourself"

This sounds realistic, but in fantasy pirates are sometimes portrayed with a pistol in one hand and a rapier in the other (when they don't have a hook).

I'd do a Ranger with a Rapier and a Hand Crossbow (they get lots of powers that can be used with melee or ranged weapons). I think that'd be fun and stylish, and give you lots of options in how you mix it up in combat.

Another option aside from Warlord: a Bard would work as the leader of the group. Someone has to lead them in singing "Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum", right?

For your Warforged reach guy, I'd go with a Storm Warden. Perfect for a pirate, and gives you a Defender. Edit: Forgot you're in the Underdark. Not as perfect.
The Intimident: Ridiculous Intimidate on a Dragonborn Ardent Wild Mindreaver: A Dark Sun Brutal Barrage Crit-Fishing Battlemind Empathic Elements: Making It Rain Healing with an Ardent in Athas
I guess I am partial to rangers lately.  In one of the Drizzit books he is working with a pirate hunting crew.  He had no issues with a pair of scimitars on a ship.  I could easily see a ranger with rapier or cutlass in one hand and one of those club things that the fit into the holes along the mast to tie ropes to or maybe a hand axe (I am pretty sure one the pirates in POTC used an axe and a saber).  Also "two weapon" style does include a single weapon that can be used in both hands ect, staff (oar), trident, all sorts of polearms, spiked chain (handy when used to chain the ships together for boarding).  Also the butt end of flintlock was often used as a club and that in  the off hand. 
Rangers are certainly viable on ships, but Monks and Rogues, with their greater mobility and consistent free hand when they need it, just seem more appropriate.  Besides, a 4e melee ranger is good in any party.  If we're designing one to be specifically interesting as a pirate crew, why use the cookie cutter melee striker for any group just because it's viable in this one?

Also, I wouldn't cite Drizzt as an example of why any PC should be good at anything. 
Wow . . . Drizzit hater. 

My point is that if you read the story it works.  Even if you hate Drizzit.  
could ya leastways spell 'is name righ'? seriously.

it's 'Drizzt'.

I suppose I could.  Its been a few years since I read any Salvaltore for some reason I thought there was a second "i."

in Exile, either the first or second Human he meets is a little boy, and he can't properly pronounce Drizzt's name. he calls him a "Drizzit', not knowing what Drow are, and thinking that th ename Drizzt gave him was what he was rather than who he was.

that is where the joke nickname came about that Drizzt is Drizzit, but it also lead to the confused mistake that that is how you pronounce his proper name.
Thread derailed a little? It was great to see such a detailed description of the campaign diea (fantastic!) and the characters.

I think the way to differentiate the two dual-wielding characters is to make them of a different role or at least power-source.
Obvious choice would be Tempest Fighter for him, Rogue/Thied for her. But Rogues and Thieves are not real dual-wielders, so I'd say Scout could be best, maybe multiclassed Rogue.

Alternatively, he could be a Whirling Barbarian. But I'd say Strength for him, Dexterity for her.

The Warforged with polearm seems destined to become a defender too, something good if you decide to go Barbarian, but a bit bad if you already have a Fighter (although not at all from a mechanic point of view...).

Other characters that work well with polearms are Warlords (although it's kind of awkward for a Warforged), Ardent, and Warden.
I think your blood-drinking brawler warforged idea beats them all, though!!
Also remember that now Warforged can get Int bonus. Not that the brawler would need it, but in case you prefer Warlord, or maybe Artificer (which could be better for both the party and the character). Now that I think about it, you could go hybrid for him. Artificer/Battleminds are very good if you want to stay defender and... Artificer. Also Swordmage, but then you'd better stay way from Polearms I guess.

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!
   - Warning! Spectacular visuals and lore ahead! ... Take a look...
Play-by-Post and my D&D blogging!

*All my latest rolls!*

Campaigns and Characters:
Zendikar: Covenant of The Forgotten Relics
- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

If it hasn't been mentioned already, the Executioner makes an excellent pirate or other naval character. Ghost of the rooftops, and some teleport powers, and you have an awesome pirate marine.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
If it hasn't been mentioned already, the Executioner makes an excellent pirate or other naval character. Ghost of the rooftops, and some teleport powers, and you have an awesome pirate marine.

"This isn't a poisoner's kit, it's an apothecary's bag. I'm the ship's medic." 

Dilige, et quod vis fac