Expanding upon "Pedal to the Metal" - a call for additional content

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Craig Campbell, co-author of "Pedal to the Metal", here...

I'm starting this thread as a place for GW vehicle enthusiasts to build upon the article I co-wrote with Ray Franklin to provide additional vehicle content. Sort of a "Chapter Two" for our vehicle article.

The basic rules are there, but there's certainly additional info that can be generated by you guys.

Take a look at what is presented in "Pedal to the Metal" and build upon it. Do you have some new vehicle stat blocks? Do you have an idea for a new Stunt or Vehicle Augmentation? Do you have some ideas for alternate Critical Hits on Vehicles or Vehicle Stunt Catastrophes? This is the place to present them.

Don't limit yourself to real-world vehicles. If you have ideas for vehicles from alternate worldlines, present them here. High-tech hovercar? DaVinci-like ornithopter? Deadlands-style steamwagon? Put your ideas out there.

I'll check in on this thread occasionally to provide my thoughts on what you provide. Hopefully, Ray will do the same. We have a pretty good feel for the final version of our article and can offer commentary and adjustments as necessary, based on our experience with designing these rules.

So, I leave it to you guys. Whatcha got for us?

Craig Campbell
I'd like to ride Daisy from Sooner Dead and other such beasts. Thanks!
Well how about vehicles larger then a pickup truck, huge construction vehicles, tanks, trucks & trailers.

Also there is a chopper, why not jets?, or a Spaceshuttle?

As for vehicles from other timelines. I'd like to see Back to the future like vehicles. Cars with flying capability (or a locomotive for that matter) Other timelines probably have blimps and dirigibles as normal vehicles or propellor airplanes.

If you want to go for the weird, how about underwater vehicles like one man subs or 4 seaters (carlike) Or vehicles that move through the earth like a submarine does through water.

Also there is man powered vehicles with some kind of pedal system and no ingine.

And how about flying platforms such as this

I think the thing I'm going to work on is expanded rules for mounting armour and weapons on the vehicles.  The first thing I'm going to do is find my old copy of Road Hogs and get some inspiration.

Another thing I think would be cool is an expanded take on losing control of vehicles. 
Thanks for the article Craig,
i'll probally will use it a lot for coach combat for dnd. by replacing mechanic checks with nature checks most tricks can also be done there.
the augments are really good, some give a really good james bond feel. I'm missing: spikes on the sides, blades on the wheels and grappling hooks(to reel in on the enemy) as augments
One of the things i missed, but not overly so, is a way to assist the driver, by letting the players be counterweight etcetera. But that is perhaps something that develops at the table.

i would like to see an example encounter of these mechanics 
Craig,

I really appreciate that we finally have a Gamma World author on the forum, willing to discuss and critique the rules. We've been begging for the core rules authors to stop by and give us some insights as to the errata and house-rules we've come up with so far. So, thank you for encouraging us to do what we've been doing; creating and sharing new fan-produced material for our new favorite game.

I look forward to seeing your comments on our community creations!

- CG
Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL
Here's some ideas my group used for their uber-vehicle:

Spinning rims with spikes:
"These sweet rims are both stylish and effective in combat."
When you successfully pull off a Trade Paint stunt, the targeted vehicle is slowed until repaired if you beat its driver's mechanics check by 5 or higher during the stunt.

Heavy-lift claws:
"These mechanical arms make your vehicle look like a giant robot lobster."
The driver gains the following actions:
At-will standard action: Lift up to 2,000 pounds of material.
Claw [at-will] standard action Melee 1
Attack: Level + 6 vs AC
Hit: Target is grabbed until escape.

+1 Robot-horse power
"You cannibalized a robot equinoid to give your vehicle extra horsepower."
Your vehicle's maximum cargo load increases by 200 lbs.
Here's some ideas my group used for their uber-vehicle:

Spinning rims with spikes:
"These sweet rims are both stylish and effective in combat."
When you successfully pull off a Trade Paint stunt, the targeted vehicle is slowed until repaired if you beat its driver's mechanics check by 5 or higher during the stunt.

Heavy-lift claws:
"These mechanical arms make your vehicle look like a giant robot lobster."
The driver gains the following actions:
At-will standard action: Lift up to 2,000 pounds of material.
Claw [at-will] standard action Melee 1
Attack: Level + 6 vs AC
Hit: Target is grabbed until escape.

+1 Robot-horse power
"You cannibalized a robot equinoid to give your vehicle extra horsepower."
Your vehicle's maximum cargo load increases by 200 lbs.

Craig Campbell, co-author of “Pedal to the Metal” here, Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread.

Here’s my take on the content Cazra has offered up, based on my experiences writing the Pedal to the Metal rule supplement. I offer designer notes in addition to the rules info here, so this will get a little long. But, I hope everyone finds this commentary useful. Sorry about the wonky formatting. If anyone wishes to compact my designs into a better format, that'd be cool by me.

Cazra’s “Spinning Rims with Spikes”:

During design, we determined that “slowing” a vehicle too easily is “not fun” and might bring a speeding firefight or a chase scene to an end too quickly. To offset such “slowing” effects, we incorporated penalties to vehicle’s speeds to make such maneuvers worthwhile, but not encounter-stopping.

That said, Cazra’s info is mostly good. I’ve adjusted things a bit as follows.

Wheel Spikes          Augmentation

Large, steel spikes adorn the rims of your vehicle’s wheels, spinning violently.

Requirement: The vehicle must be a ground-based vehicle at least Huge in size.

Effect: When the driver of the vehicle successfully uses the Trade Paint stunt to slam his vehicle into another vehicle from the side (and only from the side), the target vehicle suffers a -1 penalty to its speed in addition to other Trade Paint effects.

Special: This -1 penalty to speed is cumulative for additional successful uses of the Trade Paint stunt initiated from the side, to a maximum speed penalty of -4, assuming the driver of the vehicle “hits” the target vehicle a maximum of twice on each of the two sides of the target vehicle.

Cazra’s “Heavy-Lift Claws”:

Cazra’s “Heavy-Lift Claws” provides vehicles with an actual attack power. During design, we determined that the focus should be on PCs’ capabilities, not “vehicle attack powers.” Note that Pedal to the Metal does not include “vehicle attack powers” but instead treats vehicles as equipment that their drivers can use to perform skill-based stunts. Additionally, vehicles and how their drivers use them are treated similarly to the mount rules provided in GW and D&D 4E.

Here’s my “equipment-based” take on Cazra’s “Heavy-Lift Claws” power.

Front Claw          Augmentation

A large, mechanized metal claw is affixed to the front of your vehicle. You can use this claw to grab vehicles in front of your vehicle.  

Requirement: The vehicle must be at least Huge in size.

Effect: When the driver of the vehicle successfully uses the Trade Paint stunt to slam the front of his vehicle into another vehicle, the target vehicle is grabbed in addition to other Trade Paint effects. On his turn, the driver of the target vehicle can attempt to escape this grab by spending a move action to make a Mechanics check, opposed by a Mechanics check you make. If the driver of the target vehicle is successful, he moves his vehicle up to half his vehicle’s speed as a part of this escape.

Special: This augmentation can be combined with a “Ram” augmentation, but both features must be incorporated into a single vehicle augmentation. Such a “double augmentation” is subject to GM discretion.

Cazra’s “+1 Robot-Horse Power”:

Cazra’s idea is solid, but doesn’t take into account overall vehicle sizes and the loads associated with really large vehicle that have significant load capabilities. Here’s my take, based on a percentage of a vehicle’s normal cargo load. It’s a bit of an abstraction in order to account for vehicles that have widely differing cargo load capabilities based on size and use. The assumption is that a “powerful engine” for a particular vehicle is appropriate to the overall size and use of the vehicle being augmented.

Powerful Engine          Augmentation

The vehicle is outfitted with an over-sized engine of appropriate size that provides more pulling power for the vehicle.

Effect: The vehicle’s cargo load is increased by 25%.

Hey big fan of the article.

Augmentation suggetion:

Jump Jets
Thrusters undernieth your veichle allowing you to sail threw the air!
Effect: The Veichle does not need a ramp to preform the "Jump It" action. Follow the rules for "Jump It" as normal.
Expanding on things my group has done with their group vehicle:

Ulta-highbeams
"Useful for travelling in dark places, even more useful for blinding other drivers."
Aura 10: Creatures looking towards your vehicle from the front (and only the front) take a -5 penalty to Perception checks relying on sight and -2 to attack rolls.
Effect: The ultra-highbeams provide bright light in a blast 20 in front of your vehicle, and dim light out to blast 40.

Forcefield
"A shell of force coats your vehicle, protecting it from lasers, tailgaters, and rain."
Effect: At the start of the driver's turn, your vehicle and all of its passengers gain 10 temporary hit points. When the vehicle takes more than 10 points of damage from a single attack, it must make a saving throw. If it fails, then the forcefield stops working (save ends).

By the way, nice modifications, Shiv!